Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

https://www.xda-developers.com/how-debloat-windows-11/

is debloating my windows 11 an ok idea or am i gonna die irl if i do these things

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

Worf posted:

is debloating my windows 11 an ok idea or am i gonna die irl if i do these things

I’ll sign off on indicating you’re in Europe during initial install, and on not connecting to a Microsoft account either, but hoo boy, does it look like that program listed at the beginning of the article gives you the power to gently caress yourself over if you don’t know what you’re doing. If you aren’t keen to sit down with a warm beverage and review some of the fundamental Windows components it lists to see what they do, I would at least play with this in a Win11 virtual machine to see what the effects are before you think about deploying this the way the article says…

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Hasturtium posted:

The difference your upgrade has demonstrated is in how much Windows can precache. With 4GB RAM you’ve got memory pressure just from loading the kernel, Explorer, and the various services that comprise Windows in the year 2024. With 16GB RAM that ceiling is gone - all of Windows can comfortably load, and it can preload various libraries and executables it predicts you’ll need before you launch those programs. Windows has also historically had a tendency to aggressively use swap space; in 4GB RAM you’re going to thrash a lot more, which is going to further negatively impact your experience.

I know since Vista Windows prechached apps etc., but I forgot that it stopped showing the precached RAM since Windows 7. It's amazing to me that a 2012 machine can, with a few upgrades, still function reasonably well.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

The... debloat app... uses AI? :psyduck:

WHY?!

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Worf posted:

Just from that screenshot I can say that first thing ("BloatynosyAI") is garbage. A bunch of that stuff -- like the the .net frameworks and runtimes -- don't do anything on their own. And if you remove them and end up needing to run a .net program, they have to be reinstalled.

The second one seems ok, the built-in apps it removes are generally worthless and safe to remove. Just look over the list and see if you want to keep some things. (Or remove things that it defaults to keeping -- I always uninstalled the Photos app because I used a different image viewer and Photos would sometimes force itself back.)

But "debloat" is generally a useless concept. poo poo that isn't running is just inert space used on the HD. Even most of the windows services that *are* constantly running are good about not using CPU. Like, MS Edge is constantly running 4 minimal processes on my windows laptop even though I don't use it. It's used a grand total of 2 seconds of CPU time.

The stuff that does take up appreciable resources is poo poo that you shouldn't disable, like Defender, or stuff you installed yourself, like Discord.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Klyith posted:

The second one seems ok, the built-in apps it removes are generally worthless and safe to remove. Just look over the list and see if you want to keep some things. (Or remove things that it defaults to keeping -- I always uninstalled the Photos app because I used a different image viewer and Photos would sometimes force itself back.)

I’m pretty sure I’ve used this to remove pre installed apps before and it works great except if you remove the Xbox game overlay, some games may complain it’s missing every time you launch them, which may get annoying after a while.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Last Chance posted:

I’m pretty sure I’ve used this to remove pre installed apps before and it works great except if you remove the Xbox game overlay, some games may complain it’s missing every time you launch them, which may get annoying after a while.

It apparently has fixed that, as the game overlay is now on the keep list and the only xbox thing on the remove list is an old app that's not used anymore.

Game bar / xbox overlay is actually pretty important for performance if you have a recent intel CPU, it detects games and keeps them from using the slow E cores.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Klyith posted:

It apparently has fixed that, as the game overlay is now on the keep list and the only xbox thing on the remove list is an old app that's not used anymore.

Game bar / xbox overlay is actually pretty important for performance if you have a recent intel CPU, it detects games and keeps them from using the slow E cores.

That’s good to know, thanks. I eventually reinstalled it just because I was tired of dismissing the dialog in some games lol.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Klyith posted:

The stuff that does take up appreciable resources is poo poo that you shouldn't disable, like Defender, or stuff you installed yourself, like Discord.

It is probably worth disabling telemetry and giving Copilot the heave-ho, though.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Quackles posted:

It is probably worth disabling telemetry and giving Copilot the heave-ho, though.

copilot sucks idk why windows doesnt have a google/siri type assistant that i can at least ask the weather without clicking around

ty for the info earlier on the debloating

Worf fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Apr 28, 2024

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Klyith posted:

Just from that screenshot I can say that first thing ("BloatynosyAI") is garbage. A bunch of that stuff -- like the the .net frameworks and runtimes -- don't do anything on their own. And if you remove them and end up needing to run a .net program, they have to be reinstalled.

Setting aside that it will get reinstalled the first time you install an app that needs it, filing it under "crapware" is a hell of a choice. What a sketchy application.

Blue Footed Booby fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Apr 28, 2024

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Setting aside that the .net framework will get reinstalled the first time you install an app that needs it, filing it under "crapware" is a hell of a choice. What a sketchy application.

yea i was trying to figure out if i was misreading the list and that was just teh beginning of all installed packages or if it was trying to say it was going to delete all of them, but including .net framework was kinda sus

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".
Meh, those .net frameworks are super deprecated. I’d be surprised if anything important uses them since everything earlier than 4.2 (I think??) is EOL.
I think they’re still there only because MS doesn’t want to break some super old apps that are probably still being used by someone somewhere and it costs very little resources to just leave them there. They’ve always cared about backwards compatibility first and foremost up until recently

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

Setting aside that it will get reinstalled the first time you install an app that needs it, filing it under "crapware" is a hell of a choice. What a sketchy application.

Holy poo poo that is really sketchy.

Yeah, I'd avoid that like the plague.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Is that modifying the system settings panel to add all that? The text looks like a stock Windows description and then suddenly there's "Bloatpilot" and "crapware".

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Klyith posted:

It does however still force itself onto a controller's guide button, which renders Steam Big Picture mode unusable and is the main reason I got rid of it.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

njsykora posted:

It does however still force itself onto a controller's guide button, which renders Steam Big Picture mode unusable and is the main reason I got rid of it.

It's just a checkbox in the settings you can easily disable.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Also while I'm pointing at setting windows, check out this one:

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

As I was smugposting these screenshots it occured to me to actually check if there are any US/EU differences in windows and loving of course:

https://blogs.windows.com/windows-i...-economic-area/

EU W11:

No forced ms account
Ability to uninstall Camera,Cortana, Bing search, Edge, Photos
No copilot
Default app settings being respected
Change the search engine windows uses
Change content feed providers

All I can say is lmao that sucks

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

can you just lie and say you're in the EU or do they geo-ip you

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

I wouldn't mind a Microsoft account thing except it seems particularly bad if you have multiple systems on the same account which also seems to defeat the purpose of it

Like I have no issues having an account for windows, I have an account for a bunch of other things and I don't care about having accounts there. But using the same Microsoft account across devices seems actively detrimental to the experience

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

repiv posted:

can you just lie and say you're in the EU or do they geo-ip you

They don't geo-ip you afaik, but apparently you lock that choice in during install when you pick the region and the only way to change it is to reinstall/factory reset the OS.

e: Also apparently UK not being a part of the EU is also on the shittier windows now lol

Vic fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Apr 28, 2024

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

lifehack: if you're in the UK just say you're in ireland, the timezones and keyboard layouts are all the same so it shouldn't change anything besides putting you into EU mode

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
Oh, for anyone who doesn't know, XDA-developers is another site that's been taken over by a company that's using the pagerank to spam google search with lovely chum. These guys. Anything you see there is likely to be written by a "freelancer" who generated everything with AI.

(That's actually a good article by their standards, those seem to be original images. Someone actually spent a few minutes effort to make screenshots!)

isndl posted:

Is that modifying the system settings panel to add all that? The text looks like a stock Windows description and then suddenly there's "Bloatpilot" and "crapware".

Nah, it's just an app using the default winUI (same as the settings panel and other MS apps). It's a fast way to make an app.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Vic posted:

It's just a checkbox in the settings you can easily disable.

Except the setting doesn't do anything. I even tried assigning open Game Bar to a keyboard combo and it still opened on the guide button.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

njsykora posted:

Except the setting doesn't do anything. I even tried assigning open Game Bar to a keyboard combo and it still opened on the guide button.

That's probably a bug as it works for me. There's also a setting in Settings > Gaming I have disabled:

If that doesn't help try: