Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Dick Trauma posted:

I had to move one of our employees to a different cubicle and I told him that I'd be leaving his LCDs behind in favor of new ones that were already in the new cubicle. I thought he was messing with me when he asked if that meant that he would lose any files, and I laughed it off and then he got annoyed because he was serious. I explained that none of his files were stored in the LCDs and he wouldn't lose anything but he started getting huffy so I just moved them along with the rest of his stuff.

How the gently caress?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.
I have seen people confuse a monitor as the computer at my workplace as well. I'm not talking about older boomers either. The real funny thing is that the actual computer is like right next to the monitor so don't know what they think that is.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

nielsm posted:

Windows 3.1 had the best computer tutorial I ever saw and has genuinely formed my entire idea about what "good computer based teaching" should look like.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8SkM7mJrwcg

Wasn't there a tutorial in Win95 too? I remember seeing some similar animations of moving stuff anround and what not. Googling though I'm only seeing the Jennifer Aniston video thing.

serebralassazin posted:

I have seen people confuse a monitor as the computer at my workplace as well. I'm not talking about older boomers either. The real funny thing is that the actual computer is like right next to the monitor so don't know what they think that is.

That's the hard drive obviously

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
That or the whole tower is the "hard drive".

I have had multiple people ask me why I don't work with computers even though I am so good with computers. I tell them that is exactly why I don't work with computers. Why would I ruin my fun hobby by turning it into a miserable job? Although I have ended up working in a computer adjacent thing anyway: CNC machining. But computer stuff isn't even the dumbest thing I've heard at work, multiple people have asked why they don't just put alternators on my electric vehicle so it never has to recharge. Like basic conservation of energy stuff that I could swear I learned and properly comprehended before highschool even. I guess people just think alternators generate infinite electricity and don't need you to burn fuel/run your engine to spin it. Or the time my dad who worked in local government said someone called and asked when the city was going to fix the hot water lines because they were only getting cold water at their house. Like most people these days seem to have zero curiosity whatsoever about how things they use in their daily lives actually work and its just sad.

Someone asked how I knew so much stuff and I'm thinking like "I remember what I learned in school and Wikipedia/The Internet exists?". I am often curious how things work, so I look them up or research them, it isn't hard most of the time (unless it involves more math than simple stuff like how you can figure out any third variable out of volts/amps/watts if you have the other two).

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
So if the whole tower is the hard drive why aren’t your files there, not on your monitors? What do they think a hard drive does?

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
The hard drive runs the cloud, obviously.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Branch Nvidian posted:

How the gently caress?

All-in-one computers.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Branch Nvidian posted:

How the gently caress?

Even money that monitor guy has an all-in-one at home and never had a system outside of work with a separate computer from the monitor.

- Originally posted in the tickets thread because I'm a dumbass.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

Mozi posted:

The hard drive runs the cloud, obviously.

god please help me
Jul 9, 2018
I LOVE GIVING MY TAX MONEY AND MY PERSONAL INCOME TO UKRAINE, SLAVA
Decided to try out customizing my desktop.

https://i.imgur.com/illD8Nu.mp4

It's colorful. :3:

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Woke up to Win11 on my PC.

I've installed Explorer Patcher, but I can't get Process Explorer to show up in the systray.
When I go into the old-school "Notification Area Icons" control panel, and change Process Explorer to "Show icon and notifications", it doesn't stick.
Same with anything else. Any ideas?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Dick Trauma posted:

I had to move one of our employees to a different cubicle and I told him that I'd be leaving his LCDs behind in favor of new ones that were already in the new cubicle. I thought he was messing with me when he asked if that meant that he would lose any files, and I laughed it off and then he got annoyed because he was serious. I explained that none of his files were stored in the LCDs and he wouldn't lose anything but he started getting huffy so I just moved them along with the rest of his stuff.

https://youtu.be/H2uHBhKTSe0?si=xwDAH2t08pTYzgIl

This but in real life.

I liked the movie The Negotiator, but at the end when the dude shoots the computer screen and is all satisfied that he's destroyed the evidence that he's been bold... I just can't not weep.

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
HANG 'EM HIGH

We're fighting human animals and we act accordingly

god please help me posted:

Username checks out.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

:frogout:

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies
I like the cursor. may we have the cursor please

god please help me
Jul 9, 2018
I LOVE GIVING MY TAX MONEY AND MY PERSONAL INCOME TO UKRAINE, SLAVA

down1nit posted:

I like the cursor. may we have the cursor please

https://www.stardock.com/products/cursorfx/ Here you go. :) I used the Fluent Dark cursor that I adjusted the hue of.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

This is extremely "what if Microsoft made Windows 11, but had never grown out of the XP and Vista design languages."

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
My step son was so proud to show me that he figured out how to change the windows 11 cursor to Kirby and his mouth moves when you click on stuff and I was honestly pretty impressed- he's 15. If he can figure it out and my almost 80 year old dad can figure out his new computer I have faith 🥲🥲

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Tell me that the color scheme is called "pickle juice."

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

namlosh posted:

LOL

I was speaking with a 16 year old the other day and he said he knew python. I asked him what IDE he used and he told me a website and then mentioned he hated Scratch.

Nothing students do these days is local on a computer. Zip, zilch, nada

I find it sad but don’t blame them at all. I just try to help open their eyes

Textbooks aren’t even a thing in TX

I understand that completely. I hate installing IDEs and configuring dev environments and precisely setting folder structures and path variables with the passion of a thousand burning suns.

Indiana_Krom posted:

That or the whole tower is the "hard drive".

Oh, you mean the CPU? :smuggo:

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Fuschia tude posted:

Oh, you mean the CPU? :smuggo:

It doesn't have a CPU it's a labtop!!!

Jigsaw
Aug 14, 2008
So, uh, huh.

Just saw this pop up on my loving desktop today. Is there a registry key or GPE setting to disable this Microsoft-sanctioned malware? (I'm actually still on Win10 Pro, but that thread is closed; I assume the registry key and GPE settings would be the same on Win11, though.)

Looking around online seems to show that (i) yes, Microsoft has admitted this is them, and (ii) people are (rightly) pissed about it, but I haven't actually found anything that says how it could be disabled. (I'm assuming just clicking "No, thanks" won't actually prevent it from popping up again whenever it feels like it, despite Microsoft’s assurances that it’s “one-time only.”)

Jigsaw fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Mar 20, 2024

Barrel Cactaur
Oct 6, 2021

I think it's in settings, also thought they were pushing bard? Might also be related to advertising/ Microsoft snooping permissions

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

They're trying to get people to switch their default search engine in Chrome to Bing, and I believe installing that plug-in will do so. When Chrome warns you a plug-in is trying to change your search engine, Windows will pop up another Window telling you definitely should allow it.

https://9to5google.com/2024/03/15/microsoft-windows-chrome-bing-pop-up/

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

CaptainSarcastic posted:

They're trying to get people to switch their default search engine in Chrome to Bing, and I believe installing that plug-in will do so. When Chrome warns you a plug-in is trying to change your search engine, Windows will pop up another Window telling you definitely should allow it.

https://9to5google.com/2024/03/15/microsoft-windows-chrome-bing-pop-up/

That article led me to this one https://9to5google.com/2024/01/30/microsoft-edge-chrome-data-update-windows/ and surely at some point Microsoft is going to get in legal trouble for stuff like this. Right? RIGHT?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Will someone antitrust them again please, it's like nobody who remembers the last time it happened is still around

Also I am in favour of escalating this until both parties realise it's ridiculous, Google should mark that extension as malware and ban the developer account that owns it from the Chrome extension gallery.

Thanks Ants fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Mar 20, 2024

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Thanks Ants posted:

Will someone antitrust them again please, it's like nobody who remembers the last time it happened is still around

Also I am in favour of escalating this until both parties realise it's ridiculous, Google should mark that extension as malware and ban the developer account that owns it from the Chrome extension gallery.

EU slaps Google with anti trust fines, gives MS the ok, while the monkey's paw flips you the bird.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Jigsaw posted:

So, uh, huh.

Just saw this pop up on my loving desktop today. Is there a registry key or GPE setting to disable this Microsoft-sanctioned malware? (I'm actually still on Win10 Pro, but that thread is closed; I assume the registry key and GPE settings would be the same on Win11, though.)

Looking around online seems to show that (i) yes, Microsoft has admitted this is them, and (ii) people are (rightly) pissed about it, but I haven't actually found anything that says how it could be disabled. (I'm assuming just clicking "No, thanks" won't prevent it from popping up again whenever it feels like it.)

If you had Enterprise, you could enable this one:

Turn off Microsoft Consumer Experiences
in Administrative Templates\Windows Components\Cloud Content

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".
Thanks for that… here’s hoping it works in “Windows 11 Professional for Workstations” that began its life as Enterprise but was upgraded with a product key.

Jigsaw
Aug 14, 2008

astral posted:

If you had Enterprise, you could enable this one:

Turn off Microsoft Consumer Experiences
in Administrative Templates\Windows Components\Cloud Content

Thanks! I’ll try that. It does seem to be there in my Win10 Pro install, even though it’s not Enterprise.

Man, if I didn’t need Windows stuff for my job (which I use my own computer for), I’d hardcore consider a switch to Ubuntu or something over this. I mean, I’m still considering it, but I don’t think it’s reasonably in the cards. I can’t imagine this is ever going to get better (except possibly temporarily, and only following legal action).

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

Fuschia tude posted:

I understand that completely. I hate installing IDEs and configuring dev environments and precisely setting folder structures and path variables with the passion of a thousand burning suns.

This is the domain of toy scripting languages *motions at Python*. The answer to your problems lies in the power of .sln.

Many seem to acknowledge that Javascript was a huge mistake and that the entire web would be better if we could somehow preset 'reset' on it's godawful tech stack, but these same people are looking at Python like it's some kind of answer to problems because on-boarding is slightly easier then other languages - they are just stepping in it again...

Canine Blues Arooo fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Mar 20, 2024

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

I assume I'm not getting any of this stuff pushed onto me because I'm in EU?

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

So apparently now it should be finally possible to uninstall Edge and do some other adjustments EU forced upon Microsoft.

My region has been $SOMETHING since 2007. Maybe UK, maybe US, maybe Finland. It currently is US.

https://www.xda-developers.com/enable-eea-restricted-features-on-windows-10-11/

I am at a loss on how to do it. I checked with vivetool and the feature IDs: 43699941 and 44353396 were already enabled. I then looked at the IntegratedServicesRegionPolicySet.json and tried to change the let uninstall edge defaultState from disabled to enabled. It did not help. I tried adding US to a enabled region and it did not help. I tried changing the user's region to FInland.

I sure as gently caress am not resetting the windows installation just because of this. This good install has served for 17 years and I want to see how far I can get.

Is there some bombproof way (without resetting Windows) of changing the grayed out "Uninstall" option with edge to a working one at this stage?

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

~Coxy posted:

Woke up to Win11 on my PC.

How do you prevent this from happening? I have zero interest in downgrading my OS from a functional one to whatever the gently caress malware/adware nonsense this thread is about.

Is "don't destroy my machine plz" enterprise-only?

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

JFC the hyperbole.

loving seriously.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

Plaster Town Cop

AlexDeGruven posted:

JFC the hyperbole.

loving seriously.
have you even read this thread, lol?

Wife's laptop upgraded itself to 11 and it killed the onboard wifi so now she's got a loving wifi dongle just to use the drat thing. I have much better poo poo do do with my time than chasing down whatever stupid fuckups they've done now.

E: Oh lol you're an early adopter, posting from the start of this thread trying to figure out how to trick it into installing on your machine. Yeah, not gonna take an evangelist seriously on how wonderful the new ad-infested update is.

E2: Figured it out, have it blocked on my remaining w10 machines now.

Harik fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Mar 21, 2024

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

E: nvm

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Harik posted:

have you even read this thread, lol?

Wife's laptop upgraded itself to 11 and it killed the onboard wifi so now she's got a loving wifi dongle just to use the drat thing. I have much better poo poo do do with my time than chasing down whatever stupid fuckups they've done now.

E: Oh lol you're an early adopter, posting from the start of this thread trying to figure out how to trick it into installing on your machine. Yeah, not gonna take an evangelist seriously on how wonderful the new ad-infested update is.

E2: Figured it out, have it blocked on my remaining w10 machines now.

I was an early adopter on my old machine, went back to 10 because I didn't need it. I now have a 7950X and 7900XT system so I installed it fresh.

You're still being insanely hyperbolic about things that are mere annoyances.

The wifi thing is legit, and I won't fault anyone for complaining about an automatic update, especially when it breaks. But when you start using phrases like "malware" it just makes you one of *those* people that need to be tuned out.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

Plaster Town Cop

AlexDeGruven posted:

I was an early adopter on my old machine, went back to 10 because I didn't need it. I now have a 7950X and 7900XT system so I installed it fresh.

You're still being insanely hyperbolic about things that are mere annoyances.

The wifi thing is legit, and I won't fault anyone for complaining about an automatic update, especially when it breaks. But when you start using phrases like "malware" it just makes you one of *those* people that need to be tuned out.

Pop-up ads on your operating system that make changes if you don't stop and read them carefully to figure out which weasel-worded option is "gently caress off don't switch my search engine" are not "mere annoyances."

It installs without permission and can break your machine I'm not sure what the gently caress else to call it other than "malware".

It's the forced install that makes it bad. If you install it yourself then whatever, it's just the latest version of windows, but there's way too many people who've woken up to finding themselves with a broken machine and a tedious reinstall cycle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Harik posted:

Is "don't destroy my machine plz" enterprise-only?
debian.org is what you want. it's a stable OS that runs all your games and only updates once every 2 years or so