Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Koskun posted:

4 - As far as I know, with the latest version of 11 you cannot. At a minimum you have to use a PIN. 4 digits, it doesn't make you change it after xx time. I don't think you can use something like 1111, or a sequence though.
That reminds me, the 11 installs I did had password expiration default to on, which caught me out.

E: like for local accounts, like the one created by Rufus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

https://randomascii.wordpress.com/2023/01/17/no-start-menu-for-you/

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Klyith posted:

No, plenty of people are negative about 11 ITT. The Win10 thread is locked (because 10 is EOL).

Windows 10 was supposed to get nothing but security updates since the 22H2 release, but they've rowed back a bit on this, for example pushing Copilot to Windows 10 machines.

I can't really imagine they'll not extend Windows 10 security updates past its current End of Life date à la Windows 7. StatCounter lists Windows 10 usage worldwide at 69.04%, Windows 11 at 26.72% and, surprisingly, Windows 7 at 3.04%, with the remainder covered by Windows 8 and Windows XP.

That XP is in use more than the original 8 release is hilarious.

Anyway, let's be generous and say that Windows 11 will have 50% usage by the middle of next year. That leaves half of all Windows machines without security updates, which is just waiting on a worm to destroy them. I can't see Microsoft maintaining the EoL date.

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004
I worship the ground NinjaPablo walks on

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Windows 10 was supposed to get nothing but security updates since the 22H2 release, but they've rowed back a bit on this, for example pushing Copilot to Windows 10 machines.

I can't really imagine they'll not extend Windows 10 security updates past its current End of Life date à la Windows 7. StatCounter lists Windows 10 usage worldwide at 69.04%, Windows 11 at 26.72% and, surprisingly, Windows 7 at 3.04%, with the remainder covered by Windows 8 and Windows XP.

That XP is in use more than the original 8 release is hilarious.

Anyway, let's be generous and say that Windows 11 will have 50% usage by the middle of next year. That leaves half of all Windows machines without security updates, which is just waiting on a worm to destroy them. I can't see Microsoft maintaining the EoL date.

They could if they force the update to 11. Will that make them friends? No. But they can easily fall back on "We've told you this date for years, and now we're doing something about it since you won't".

Can you defer MacOS updates? I know it won't update past a certain point if the system is "too old" or the like, however it does pretty much force updates on the user right?

As to that Win7 percentage, I wonder how many of those are POS system or ATM's?

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Koskun posted:

As to that Win7 percentage, I wonder how many of those are POS system or ATM's?

That and school computer labs in poorer areas, or internet cafes in the developing world.

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord
Forcing the update to 11 won't do a whole lot unless they also drop the secure boot requirement and relax their requirements on supported CPU lines. This isn't 2009 anymore where machines a decade old are hopelessly out of date and can be ignored; there are a lot of decade-old machines out there today that run just fine and nobody has any intention of upgrading and will continue to run Windows 10 because they just can't run Windows 11 with its current minimum requirements.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

biznatchio posted:

Forcing the update to 11 won't do a whole lot unless they also drop the secure boot requirement and relax their requirements on supported CPU lines. This isn't 2009 anymore where machines a decade old are hopelessly out of date and can be ignored; there are a lot of decade-old machines out there today that run just fine and nobody has any intention of upgrading and will continue to run Windows 10 because they just can't run Windows 11 with its current minimum requirements.

This. I don't know anything about the ultimate actual need for a Trusted Platform Module or how much it impacts the operating system's security, and the same goes for me on the CPU front, but if those requirements don't change it will be a long time before Windows 11 reaches 50%, which it probably won't before Windows 12 is released.

I'm currently running Windows 10 on a circa 2013 Toshiba laptop. It originally released with Windows 7, 4GB RAM, a dual core Intel i3 CPU (Ivy Bridge, with hyperthreading), and a 500GB hard drive. I upgraded the RAM to 16GB and threw in a 240GB SSD, and the machine runs quite nicely. Obviously I'm not going to be doing anything but general web surfing and Office type stuff, but as biznatchio says, compare this to a laptop released a decade before that laptop.

A laptop from 2003 would have a single core processor, maybe a 20GB hard drive and 256MB of RAM. That machine isn't running Windows 7 at anywhere near a tolerable level, even if some of the components are upgraded. Multicore processors, SSDs and oodles of RAM have meant we've picked all the low hanging fruit, and it's diminishing returns now.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Microsoft seemingly knows that some people won’t be able to upgrade and they are graciously going to let customers pay a yearly fee to keep using Windows 10

https://www.theverge.com/2023/12/5/23988896/microsoft-windows-10-extended-security-updates-consumers-paid

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Why yes let's wait to upload crash reports over the potentially unreliable network before running the poo poo the user wants to do right now

Here's how shocked I am that it's the phone-home telemetry bs causing it.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
Yeah, I can understand why they wanted to introduce a bunch of always-on security features and not have carve-outs for machines which don't support them. I can also understand that they don't want to commit to writing patches to accommodate >10 years old hardware with this new OS for the foreseeable future. As we've seen from Windows 11 now refusing to install on Core 2 machines because they don't have the POPCNT command, this stuff can matter and I don't think that Microsoft should have to deal with it forever.

All that said, a 10 year old computer - desktop, especially - is still fine for a lot of tasks. My cousin still plays games on an LGA1366 system that I originally built in 2008. Hell, now that it has an RX 6600 it runs BG3 well enough for him to be happy with it. While the end is near for that particular platform with more games requiring AVX these days, I still don't see myself just throwing it away once he upgrades. I still run a Skylake laptop as a TV computer, a Sandy Bridge desktop for ripping/re-encoding optical discs, and a Broadwell tablet as a supplementary monitor to my main desktop. While I have the wherewithal to put Linux on them (or install 11 with Rufus, assuming it keeps working), a lot of people are just going to either junk PCs that old or leave them running 10 without updates. It would be nice if MS had a way to extend the long-tail updates that we know they're producing anyway to personal systems which are unable to ever upgrade to 11 legitimately.

Last Chance posted:

Microsoft seemingly knows that some people won’t be able to upgrade and they are graciously going to let customers pay a yearly fee to keep using Windows 10

https://www.theverge.com/2023/12/5/23988896/microsoft-windows-10-extended-security-updates-consumers-paid

Yeah, like... I get this for organizations, if you're running some industrial device or data logger which is too expensive to update to a new controller then it might well make perfect sense to just pay a few hundred more to keep patching 10 instead. When it comes to individuals, I can't see many people saying "I could buy a new computer with Windows 11 for a few hundred bucks, but instead I'll pay a few hundred bucks to keep getting patches on this one instead." They'll just keep running 10 unpatched like they did with XP.

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord
Those original 2013 laptop specs are still something that would be considered to be a useable entry-level machine today. It's absolute insanity for Microsoft to continue to put a "recent hardware only" bar on Windows 11 and dropping support for everything older because the personal computer space just doesn't work like that anymore.

The path forward Windows needs to be taking (and will probably pivot to sooner or later once they realize they've got a mess on their hands with lots of Windows 10 machines that can't upgrade to Windows 11 or 12 that they're going to be held responsible for in the public square if they stop providing security updates to) is to have a ongoing, supported core Windows that can run on basically anything Windows 10 can run on today and whose minimum requirements rise very slowly over progressive releases if at all ever so as to ensure they can run on 95% of the PCs actually being used out in the wild, and then have progressive feature enhancement editions that can optionally be stacked on top of it to unlock more capabilities for more capable hardware. And then individual software vendors can choose where on the ladder they want to/need to be able to run as a minimum requirement. Something like a Cyberpunk 2077 might say "Windows 13 Super Mega Edition required" because they need some of the advanced APIs only available in the top-level edition and/or they're not likely to even be able to run on old hardware anyway; while Chrome might say "Windows 13 Core Edition capable" because they want everyone in the world using Chrome no matter what.

The days of "the base OS needs more and more every release" are done. The time to transition to sustained baseline requirements is here.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

When Windows 8 expired, there were really effective, ie. super intrusive pop-up screens telling you about the danger. It's certainly within their power to make running 10 unpatched unbearable.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Koskun posted:

Can you defer MacOS updates? I know it won't update past a certain point if the system is "too old" or the like, however it does pretty much force updates on the user right?

No, macOS doesn’t force updates. I used and supported Macs in a professional setting for years and we always had to keep our workstations a version or two behind due to a lovely software vendor that was slow to support new releases of macOS.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Apple sort of force updates by their machines not working with an OS older than the one they shipped with. I remember reading the riot act to a photo studio years ago who wanted to try and freeze their 10.6 / Mac Pro towers / Xsan setup in time, suggesting that having to scour eBay for computers old enough to work with that setup was not a good use of time.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Thank you and a big Very Appreciative for your Time to the many goons who replied to my post about win10/11. It sounds like win11 is the right move, I'll just have to adapt to the growing pains. I suppose in a hosed up way this is beneficial to me as a current win10 guy as I'll get to interact with it before it ends up on my machine. Strangely, windows has decided my pc is Not Windows 11 Ready, it's a 9900k/3090 fully watercooled machine so I guess I need to get the liquid nitrogen going so my pc can handle the stress of win11.

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004

biznatchio posted:

Officially atm, 8th gen Intel, or Ryzen AM4 are the minimum requirements for Win11. Those came out in 2017 and 2016. So a ten year old computer is already getting there with that hardware.

They have made some exceptions to the 8th gen rule however. I have a first gen Surface Pro with a 3rd gen i3 in it, and it took Win11 without any issues or modification to the installer. Weirdly, I got an XPS 13 with a 7th gen i7 recently, and it also took Win11 with no modification.

Microsoft can modify the requirements, so maybe once that hard '25 date gets closer they will.

I want to note, those two computers I mentioned that I got for my father and aunt, one was $150, the other was $110. There's an electronic recycling company about an hours drive from me. They always have business level desktops and laptops for sale at around those prices (higher for newer, but nothing much over 200 bucks). No, tossing 150 bucks for a "new" computer isn't something everyone can do, I don't want it to be seen that I'm trying to be flippant about that. And maybe that store is an oddity in their prices compared to elsewhere in the US or World. But getting something that officially takes Win11, if those yearly costs for continued support of Win10 are anywhere 100 a year, wouldn't be much of an ask at all.

wash bucket posted:

No, macOS doesn’t force updates. I used and supported Macs in a professional setting for years and we always had to keep our workstations a version or two behind due to a lovely software vendor that was slow to support new releases of macOS.
Thanks for the clarification. My experience with Mac anything is my 8th gen or so ipad (which I use as a kindle practically), and it just says "hey, we're updating tonight", and many moons ago getting MacOS on a dell laptop all hackintosh style.

VelociBacon posted:

Strangely, windows has decided my pc is Not Windows 11 Ready, it's a 9900k/3090 fully watercooled machine
Uhh, that isn't right. Unless you have some weird motherboard that doesn't have the TPM 2.0 module? I'd just make a boot USB and give it a go anyway.

There have been people here who have said they weren't able to get a certain update, but the one after they could. It might be that hang up? It can get fussy, with no rhyme or reason at times why it says you can't install this specific version of Win11 but can the previous/next one.

Koskun fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Apr 11, 2024

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

WattsvilleBlues posted:

This. I don't know anything about the ultimate actual need for a Trusted Platform Module or how much it impacts the operating system's security, and the same goes for me on the CPU front

For the record, MS eventually came clean: TPM is used only for bitlocker and windows hello. Which are the same things that used it in win10. It's a pretty specious requirement.

The CPU thing is mostly about a specific hardware-assist feature for virtual machines, which is very useful because the OS can use VM tech for security. If you don't have this feature it can result in noticeable performance loss in some cases. OTOH most average-user cases aren't that bad; no worse than the performance loss from stuff like the Spectre mitigations on older intel CPUs.

VelociBacon posted:

Strangely, windows has decided my pc is Not Windows 11 Ready, it's a 9900k/3090 fully watercooled machine so I guess I need to get the liquid nitrogen going so my pc can handle the stress of win11.

This is probably because you need to turn on the integrated TPM (called "PTT" on intel) and/or Secure Boot in your bios.

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."
I haven’t experienced any of the major problems with win11 but I resisted mightily at first because of the taskbar and start menu issues. I was big irritated that they removed such a trivial functionality and my use case hated the taskbar at the bottom, I like it at the top and hide-able. I still don’t understand why they wouldn’t let their users just choose that. Anyways once I found explorer patcher it was less of an issue but it’s still hugely irritating to have to depend on 3rd party software like that.

As newer computers worked their way into my setup I’d just accept and adjust to the win11 machines while maintaining win10 on my main driver. Eventually I woke up one day and after a system update it was just windows 11. It warned me about it for months but I just said I didn’t want the update and one day it just…. Chose to update to 11 for me. A month or so back I noticed other people reporting this happening to them at the same time.

I think eventually this will be how it is for most win10 holdouts like I was. You’ll wake up one day and they just updated it for you. As a courtesy.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

It would be hilarious to see them turn back on their TPM and CPU requirements like that and just roll out the update to everyone, but I think it's unlikely. This will either be another XP/Vista situation, but with less actual justification for the hardware requirements, or they'll be racing to roll out Windows 12, now with legacy support.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

the TPM requirement has the knock-on effect that it enables software to rely on it for attestation

riots anti-cheat won't run on win11 if you force it to install without a TPM, and i wouldn't be surprised if winevines strictest tier starts requiring a TPM at some point

Korean Boomhauer
Sep 4, 2008
So much eWaste

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

quick win 11 question. In task manager, you can right click on an app and put it in "Efficiency mode" which microsoft describes as:

quote:

Task Manager Efficiency mode is a new feature that gives you options to ensure certain running processes won’t stress the CPU out, leading to faster foreground responsiveness and better energy efficiency. It also helps you to identify apps that are already running in Efficiency mode and are good citizens of the OS. The goal is to give power users control of process resource consumption and contribute to Microsoft’s Sustainable Software initiative. At a high level, the Task Manager Efficiency mode limits process resource usage by reducing the process priority and ensuring it runs efficiently on the CPU by leveraging EcoQoS.

I have a 12th gen intel i7 with 8 efficiency cores. If I put an app in Efficiency mode, does that regulate the task to the efficiency cores? Can I make sure an app always runs in efficiency mode? How do I tell what processes are running on the efficiency cores? Theoretically I want to make sure apps I keep running in the background use the efficiency cores rather than the main cores so those are free for real tasks like getting destroyed in Tekken. I know windows 11 is supposed to handle that stuff automagically but I don't really trust like that.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

repiv posted:

the TPM requirement has the knock-on effect that it enables software to rely on it for attestation

riots anti-cheat won't run on win11 if you force it to install without a TPM, and i wouldn't be surprised if winevines strictest tier starts requiring a TPM at some point

I've seen some weird TPM related errors with corporate M365 sign ins.

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

HKR posted:

quick win 11 question. In task manager, you can right click on an app and put it in "Efficiency mode" which microsoft describes as:

I have a 12th gen intel i7 with 8 efficiency cores. If I put an app in Efficiency mode, does that regulate the task to the efficiency cores? Can I make sure an app always runs in efficiency mode? How do I tell what processes are running on the efficiency cores? Theoretically I want to make sure apps I keep running in the background use the efficiency cores rather than the main cores so those are free for real tasks like getting destroyed in Tekken. I know windows 11 is supposed to handle that stuff automagically but I don't really trust like that.

There are tools you can use to create profiles that manually assign specific apps to specific hardware threads. In the hierarchy of a CPU with P cores and E cores, the P cores are listed first, and with hyperthreading are effectively doubled in number, so a CPU with 6 P cores and 8 E cores would essentially be:

CPU0-CPU11: P cores
CPU12-CPU19: E cores

So you’d just need to download one of those tools, then pin according to that table, adjusted for the specific CPU you’re using. In the case of a cheaper mobile CPU with 2 P cores and 4 E cores, it’d be:

CPU0-CPU3: P cores
CPU4-CPU7: E cores

Hasturtium fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Apr 11, 2024

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Koskun posted:

You can. Indefinitely. It can get annoying but it won’t force you.

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
HANG 'EM HIGH

We're fighting human animals and we act accordingly

That's Win10, but still pretty disgusting.

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord
All of the individual parts of that chain of disaster make sense in isolation, they just add up to a whole that's pants-on-head stupid.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Koskun posted:

Officially atm, 8th gen Intel, or Ryzen AM4 are the minimum requirements for Win11. Those came out in 2017 and 2016. So a ten year old computer is already getting there with that hardware.

First gen Ryzen is below the minimum requirement for windows 11 because it lacks that cpu virtualization thingy I believe.

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

First gen Ryzen is below the minimum requirement for windows 11 because it lacks that cpu virtualization thingy I believe.

I had a first gen Ryzen 1600 that took Win11 just fine. I only had to turn on Secure Boot in the bios.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
Right, the 1st gen Ryzens aren't officially supported in Windows 11. That doesn't mean you can't run it - I have a Broadwell tablet sitting in front of me which is running 11 just fine, and that's a couple generations prior to official support. It will probably keep working just fine, but if 25H2 or whatever just refuses to install then Microsoft is going to shrug and say "yeah, what did you expect" - that's the chance you take.

Eletriarnation fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Apr 12, 2024

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
Right, my point is that if you have a first gen Ryzen Microsoft will tell you via Windows Update that it is not supported and you can’t update it from directly from them.

Of course you can just force it via ISO or clean install, but that’s not really what I was pointing out. Maybe I should have been more clear.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
What the gently caress is this thing in Win11 where it doesn't remember mute status per audio device anymore?

Is there a way to change it back to the sensible Win10 mechanism?

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
It does I'm using both w10 and w11 with the same devices and it works the same.

But bluetooth devices tend to mess with this because they can control os volume and my experience with various bluetooth devices is weird and magical in annoying ways.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Yeah I gotta say the combination of jabra headsets with with Bluetooth and Teams being fucky with devices in general has made the headset experience a nightmare for me at work.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

She, laughing in mockery, changed herself into a wren and flew away.
Bluetooth was invented because of humankind's arrogance and sin. We live in a fallen world and the proof is the absolutely garbage sound quality coming out of exactly one ear.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Bluetooth headsets will use the headset profile when connected directly to a PC, they will use an actually good profile (possibly proprietary) when connecting to the Bluetooth dongle they came with which allows for things like "audio quality that isn't poo poo" and "playing sound from two sources at the same time".

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
Oh yeah that's another thing. BT Headsets with a microphone will basically report two devices to windows:
Headphones - High quality audio with a slight latency. No mic. Receive only.
Headset - lovely low quality, both send and receive w/ mic, low latency.

I'm not sure if it isn't actually three with the mic. Anyway I refuse to understand anything about bluetooth standards because when I actually read into what's going on my memory kinda wiped itself to preserve my sanity.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
FWIW macOS seems to do the same thing with BT headphones. I tend to use my MacBook's microphone so I can listen to music while I'm working without it sounding terrible.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Insurrectionist posted:

Teams being fucky

That's it's normal state, so I'd bet on that being the culprit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

AlexDeGruven posted:

That's it's normal state, so I'd bet on that being the culprit.

Oh, a lot of it is Teams. But some of it is bluetooth-related caused by either W11 or (more likely) the Jabra Software because it keeps discovering and adding new instances of the same headset (thought at first it was my colleagues and reduced the range, but nope!) and forcing a tedious game of either guessing which entry is the one it wants me to use now, or manually removing existing instances from the list and then rediscovering. Reinstalling helps for a while though.

E: the issue with 2 profiles for BT headsets which are good/bad is annoying on Teams as it often picks the bad one IME

Insurrectionist fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Apr 12, 2024