Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Vic posted:

Oh yeah that's another thing. BT Headsets with a microphone will basically report two devices to windows:
Headphones - High quality audio with a slight latency. No mic. Receive only.
Headset - lovely low quality, both send and receive w/ mic, low latency.

I'm not sure if it isn't actually three with the mic. Anyway I refuse to understand anything about bluetooth standards because when I actually read into what's going on my memory kinda wiped itself to preserve my sanity.

Bluetooth doesn’t yet have the bandwidth available for high quality send and receive so you pick one or neither.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

First gen Ryzen is below the minimum requirement for windows 11 because it lacks that cpu virtualization thingy I believe.

Funny thing: second gen Ryzens ("Zen+" including 2xxx desktop and 3xxx mobile) also lack the MBEC virtualization thingy, but are on the support list.

MS was selling a Surface laptop with a Zen+ CPU a few months before the Win11 announcement. Oops.

Insurrectionist posted:

E: the issue with 2 profiles for BT headsets which are good/bad is annoying on Teams as it often picks the bad one IME

Teams will always pick the "bad" one because that's the one with mic support.

Kibner posted:

Bluetooth doesn’t yet have the bandwidth available for high quality send and receive so you pick one or neither.

Eh it totally does, the problem is the only codec in the BT spec for 2-way audio is the ancient and terrible SBC. If they added a modern low-latency codec it could easily handle it. Apple solved this for their own hardware by going off spec and using AAC-LD for headset mode. But that only works with their own stuff.

Of course, getting everyone other than apple to shell out the extra nickle to add more encoding hardware to the chips in these headsets is another problem.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

There is a certification scheme for Bluetooth audio without a dongle on Teams so somebody somewhere has solved this, but I can't find much about how it's achieved

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoftteams/devices/usb-devices#special-usage-designations

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/surface-it-pro-blog/new-firmware-brings-fully-untethered-bluetooth-experience-to/ba-p/1419008

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

Is there some hidden way to change mouse sensitivity without dicking around in the control panel menus?

I have two mkb setups -- one on my desk, and a wireless logitech with touchpad on my simrig. I want to be able to toggle between 6 and 12 with a macro or StreamDeck button, since the touchpad has to span 3 monitors. I thought this would be something easy, but the more I search for it, the more I'm starting to suspect this might be why so many mouse manufacturers have hardware buttons to handle DPI switching with their software instead of using Windows' sensitivity settings. Is it really this asinine?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

TremorX posted:

Is there some hidden way to change mouse sensitivity without dicking around in the control panel menus?

I have two mkb setups -- one on my desk, and a wireless logitech with touchpad on my simrig. I want to be able to toggle between 6 and 12 with a macro or StreamDeck button, since the touchpad has to span 3 monitors. I thought this would be something easy, but the more I search for it, the more I'm starting to suspect this might be why so many mouse manufacturers have hardware buttons to handle DPI switching with their software instead of using Windows' sensitivity settings. Is it really this asinine?

A fairly simple Autohotkey script can do this with a keyboard combo. A "sniper mode" hold button is one of the sample scripts for the dllcall function.

If you need more than that lead, I can do up a script tomorrow.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer
Windows 11 just keeps getting better: https://www.theverge.com/2024/4/12/24128640/microsoft-windows-11-start-menu-ads-app-recommendations

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Ah, Microsoft must have heard us complaining about the start menu.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

She, laughing in mockery, changed herself into a wren and flew away.
I imagine they do little else in Richmond except read the posts of goons.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

They’re just fightin to climb the stack

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Vic posted:

It does I'm using both w10 and w11 with the same devices and it works the same.

But bluetooth devices tend to mess with this because they can control os volume and my experience with various bluetooth devices is weird and magical in annoying ways.

I don't mean to pick a fight, but win10 was absolutely fine for me. Laptop speakers were muted, and BT headphones were unmuted. When I turn the headphones on, they were unmuted by default. When I turn them off, the speakers would go back to mute.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

~Coxy posted:

I don't mean to pick a fight, but win10 was absolutely fine for me. Laptop speakers were muted, and BT headphones were unmuted. When I turn the headphones on, they were unmuted by default. When I turn them off, the speakers would go back to mute.

Same - one thing MS managed to do with Windows 10 was improve how it handles Bluetooth a lot. Windows 11 seems similar on that front, but I've used it way less and am not as confident on that one.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

~Coxy posted:

W11 works the same. There is a sound setting profile for each device. It remembers your system volume level and device volume level per device across reboots.

You can just go to the volume mixer and check for yourself :shrug:

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

So I did some research on how Linux would work on my laptop and found that everything works except "the speakers" because "it's Realtek" (which is the audio chip in 110% of laptops ever made???)

It's always something man

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Linux sound jokes still relevant in 2024

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Realtek is always a special case. They are the lowest bidder all the time, but they can do that because their poo poo sucks.

And 99% of consumers don't care, so they continue to win contracts even though their stuff is bad.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Tiny Timbs posted:

So I did some research on how Linux would work on my laptop and found that everything works except "the speakers" because "it's Realtek" (which is the audio chip in 110% of laptops ever made???)

If your laptop isn't absolutely brand new, I'd think that report was either old or made by someone who didn't really know what was up. Googling for linux compatibility is always gonna get people with problems, not people where it works. If you want to find out, make a bootable usb stick of ubuntu or fedora and try the live environment.

Realtek stuff generally works fine in linux. Sometimes it works better than in windows -- many of the wired ethernet chips have in-kernel drivers (ie open source drivers written by kernel devs rather than realtek idiots).

OTOH audio can have weird additional problems, like the channels can be different in one product and another even though they use the same chip. So you have a laptop where only the left headphone works because a manufacturer decided to use output channels 5 and 7 instead of 5 and 6 for some godforsaken reason.

Note that this type of thing can also happen on windows, you just generally don't notice it because you got drivers with the machine and it works out of the box. I have a good example. Several years ago I was refurbishing a 2nd-hand laptop for someone. Putting a ssd in it, clean install of win10 instead of the terribly broken 7 it came with, etc. It was old so for the most part win10 had drivers for everything built in, and one exception was the built-in webcam. I tracked down up-to-date drivers for it and it displayed everything upside down. 🙃 The laptop manufacturer had drivers on their site but they were not compatible with 10.

(It turns out that upside down webcams on laptops is a relatively common thing, they do whichever orientation fits the wires & screen bezel best. With some googling I found the right bits of the .inf files to twiddle to make it install in flip mode.)

tl;dr computers suck for windows when they're old, they suck for linux when they're new

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Klyith posted:

If your laptop isn't absolutely brand new, I'd think that report was either old or made by someone who didn't really know what was up. Googling for linux compatibility is always gonna get people with problems, not people where it works. If you want to find out, make a bootable usb stick of ubuntu or fedora and try the live environment.

Realtek stuff generally works fine in linux. Sometimes it works better than in windows -- many of the wired ethernet chips have in-kernel drivers (ie open source drivers written by kernel devs rather than realtek idiots).

OTOH audio can have weird additional problems, like the channels can be different in one product and another even though they use the same chip. So you have a laptop where only the left headphone works because a manufacturer decided to use output channels 5 and 7 instead of 5 and 6 for some godforsaken reason.

Note that this type of thing can also happen on windows, you just generally don't notice it because you got drivers with the machine and it works out of the box. I have a good example. Several years ago I was refurbishing a 2nd-hand laptop for someone. Putting a ssd in it, clean install of win10 instead of the terribly broken 7 it came with, etc. It was old so for the most part win10 had drivers for everything built in, and one exception was the built-in webcam. I tracked down up-to-date drivers for it and it displayed everything upside down. 🙃 The laptop manufacturer had drivers on their site but they were not compatible with 10.

(It turns out that upside down webcams on laptops is a relatively common thing, they do whichever orientation fits the wires & screen bezel best. With some googling I found the right bits of the .inf files to twiddle to make it install in flip mode.)

tl;dr computers suck for windows when they're old, they suck for linux when they're new

Nah, it's active and real with a wide variety of reports across different forums and repos. Enough that I doubt I'd experience anything different trying myself. 2023 might be "new" but it's not doing anything cutting edge with its speaker system.

https://insider.razer.com/razer-support-45/razer-blade-16-speakers-linux-48233?sort=dateline.desc#comments

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Apr 15, 2024

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Klyith posted:

If you want to find out, make a bootable usb stick of ubuntu or fedora and try the live environment.

I’ll second this. Most of the popular flavors of Linux support this, it’s quick, and it can be fun and interesting even if you decide not to do a full install.

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?

Tiny Timbs posted:

Nah, it's active and real with a wide variety of reports across different forums and repos. Enough that I doubt I'd experience anything different trying myself. 2023 might be "new" but it's not doing anything cutting edge with its speaker system.

https://insider.razer.com/razer-support-45/razer-blade-16-speakers-linux-48233?sort=dateline.desc#comments

In this case it looks like Alienware hosed up the firmware and had to add extra code to their Windows driver to work around it
(from that link)

quote:

From my tries to make sound work (even reverse engineer windows driver) I am to conclusion that this is BIOS bug. There is no pin assignment listed in ACPI table to enable speakers and is left to windows driver to do heavy lifting. Speakers are working only with windows realtek driver ...

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Tiny Timbs posted:

It's always something man

I have been using Steam Deck Desktop mode as my daily driver for a couple of months. No Realtek, has a billion dollar company supporting the software. Still has audio issues.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
https://github.com/linux-surface/linux-surface/wiki/Supported-Devices-and-Features#feature-matrix

lol

Admittedly this is entirely expected but still, lol that you have to do this like it's opencorelegacy

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

One story I've heard about onboard audio support on Linux is one where the sound "worked", but the internal speakers sounded terrible, presumably because the Windows driver has some secret EQ or DSP for them.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

I know there's one line of ASUS laptops where in Linux (and Windows 10) they had a Cirrus Logic speaker amp that didn't report to the ACPI table properly and thus you'd only get headphones audio. In Win11 it gets picked up but in my case I was moving a customer's Win10 install from an older laptop over to it and Win10 didn't see it at all and it confused the poo poo out of me for a while.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

nielsm posted:

One story I've heard about onboard audio support on Linux is one where the sound "worked", but the internal speakers sounded terrible, presumably because the Windows driver has some secret EQ or DSP for them.

the asahi linux devs discovered that the speaker amplifier in macbooks is powerful enough to explode the speakers, and apple relies entirely on software DSP to regulate their temperature so that doesn't happen

doing it that way allows for greater dynamic range but its not an ideal situation when you're trying to roll your own linux drivers without any documentation

repiv fucked around with this message at 12:21 on Apr 16, 2024

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

nielsm posted:

That's how it was in Windows on Bootcamp for the last Macbooks to support it

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Why wouldn't you do the DSP thing in firmware :psyduck:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
specifically to gently caress over people who don't use your software, op

e: like, pc/microsoft and anroid/apple ecosystems make a fuckton of money off of data they siphon from your devices, if you could just install a 3rd party OS and have everything work better, that would be terrible

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Thanks Ants posted:

putting a separate DSP processor on the board costs money and doing it on the CPU doesn't cost money

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
this chat reminds me of windows modems lmao

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Truga posted:

this chat reminds me of windows modems lmao

oh christ, yeah lol

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Just imagine the throughput on a winmodem with modern CPUs! :kiddo:

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Thanks Ants posted:

Apple thinks they know best.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
Eh. Controlling the amplifier in driver software might have useful benefits? For example, if nothing had made sound for a while and the amplifier is totally off to save power, you could do something like mute & ramp the audio at the same time as pulling up the amp, avoiding the speaker pop you get from turning on the amp with hot audio.

The general idea of laptops like Tiny Timbs's having speaker amplifiers that and to be activated by the drivers to make sound isn't a bad one. Just sucks when they don't follow the spec and put the magic info where it can be activated by other OSes.

I have an laptop with AC97 type audio and the speakers are always amped even when headphones are plugged in. And the amp is too near the APU so it picks up & amplifies RFI noise. (I solved this by opening it up and unplugging the speakers, since I always use headphones.)

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

the difficulty around apples design isn't that the driver can switch the amplifier on and off, it's that the amplifier left to its own devices will physically destroy the speakers if the input is too intense, and its the drivers responsibility to prevent that

apple designed it that way because it allows for a much wider dynamic range than if they tuned the amplifier to max out at a safe level, because their DSP can allow spikes of very high volumes to pass through while filtering out continuous tones that might cause damage

it's kind of like ABL on OLEDs allowing small patches of bright pixels to pass through while filtering out large ones which might overheat the panel

but of course they don't publish the DSP parameters anywhere so asahi had to reverse engineer the mac drivers and copy what they do

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Building that PC tomorrow, thinking I'll make a partition for the OS, how much room would you allocate for a win11 partition? It's a 2tb nvme drive.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

VelociBacon posted:

Building that PC tomorrow, thinking I'll make a partition for the OS, how much room would you allocate for a win11 partition? It's a 2tb nvme drive.

The Windows installer cannot be contained by partitions. You better start disconnected anything you don't want Windows to help itself to.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

wash bucket posted:

The Windows installer cannot be contained by partitions. You better start disconnected anything you don't want Windows to help itself to.

Oh really? I guess I was assuming it would be the same installer as win7/10 where you can partition the drive off immediately before choosing where to install windows.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

VelociBacon posted:

Oh really? I guess I was assuming it would be the same installer as win7/10 where you can partition the drive off immediately before choosing where to install windows.

You can. The Windows installer is just notorious for ignoring those instructions and putting random partitions where you don't expect. If you only have one physical drive it might be easier to let Windows have the whole thing during installation then carve a new partition out of the free space after the fact.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

wash bucket posted:

You can. The Windows installer is just notorious for ignoring those instructions and putting random partitions where you don't expect. If you only have one physical drive it might be easier to let Windows have the whole thing during installation then carve a new partition out of the free space after the fact.

Hm if that's how it's going to be I would rather just let windows do it's thing. Not my PC and the person using it isn't going to be installing games into the windows folders anyways. Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

It's not random partitions - it'll create an EFI boot partition if that doesn't exist yet (and usually too small at only 100MB, so you're better off making that with a linux installer) and a 300MB recovery partition at the end of the disk/free space and then the partition you tell it to make right after the EFI partition, which will gently caress you later when you run out of room on the EFI partition.