Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

corgski posted:

It's not random partitions - it'll create an EFI boot partition if that doesn't exist yet (and usually too small at only 100MB, so you're better off making that with a linux installer) and a 300MB recovery partition at the end of the disk/free space and then the partition you tell it to make right after the EFI partition, which will gently caress you later when you run out of room on the EFI partition.

What’s the issue with the EFI partition being too small? Is this something Windows users generally run into, or is it only a problem when dual-booting or similar?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Arivia posted:

What’s the issue with the EFI partition being too small? Is this something Windows users generally run into, or is it only a problem when dual-booting or similar?

There's a windows update that recently failed to install over and over because of it

v whoops

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 09:27 on Apr 18, 2024

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

HalloKitty posted:

There's a windows update that recently failed to install over and over because of it

That was because of recovery partition, not the efi one.
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...a9-24c8229763bf

Livo
Dec 31, 2023
I apologise if this is the wrong thread, or worthy of a new thread in a different forum, but is there a good link, ideally from direct Microsoft sources, but non MS sources are fine, on how Copilot actually works, in regards to how it exactly searches your files? By that I mean, does it (currently) just scan the file name? The actual contents of the Word document, Excel etc? Does the Copilot only work if you are logged into a MS Live account, or even if you're logged out, it still reads the file name/contents for searching? Does it just use a stored model on your computer (in case there's no Internet connection) so it's local searches with no Internet, or does it send data overseas for the model to work properly?

I'm a sole trader, so no "IT Permission MS Server Framework" server admin authorisation stuff for me. I work in Allied Health in Australia: I am legally required to have private/public indemnity insurance, and there's been a ton of recent data leaks, including private medical insurance details for nearly a third of the entire population last year, so there's public awareness about this. Also, I am legally required to keep all patient medical notes for over half a decade, or face legal consequences. Hurray!

"This is a very complex & rapidly developing field with no easy answers currently. Speak to your medical insurer Livo, they'll have similar concerns, or at least be far more influential on politicians & future legislation than your voice?" Well, I spoke to my medical insurer on the phone about my patient privacy concerns a few days ago, and their response was;

- "What do you mean you're worried about confidential medical data potentially going overseas?* We use Copilot for all our medical & personal insurance data access/searches in our company and this is the first we've heard of an AI model sending data from one computer to another overseas**"
- "Even if it does, it's not that big a deal: the Australian government would surely do change the laws about medical privacy in a few years time."
- "As a sole trader, if someone chooses to sue you directly for data breaches claiming you used an OS that sends patient data overseas, rather than suing Microsoft, they'll...ohhhhhh, yes, that's a real possibility, sole traders in Australia are far easier to sue than a big company Microsoft or Apple, we hadn't thought of that. Huh. Legally, speaking, if that happens, either a) you might be in real trouble then, or b) the outcomes of the court decision means you'll be setting Australian Legal Precedence for future cases. Uh, well, if it turns out that Copilot works by scanning & sending all data stuff, then just don't use any OS whatsoever with an AI search function so you can't be sued."
- "Sorry to hear you're not happy with our answer."

* Not many medical insurers cover my profession, and I'm with the very best one in terms of financial coverage and legal protection :gbsmith:
** Yes, they actually said that.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

corgski posted:

It's not random partitions - it'll create an EFI boot partition if that doesn't exist yet (and usually too small at only 100MB, so you're better off making that with a linux installer) and a 300MB recovery partition at the end of the disk/free space and then the partition you tell it to make right after the EFI partition, which will gently caress you later when you run out of room on the EFI partition.

I haven't been following the discussion about this until the last few posts but on a drive without partitions, the Windows installer will itself create the partitions as needed.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Livo posted:

** Yes, they actually said that.

drat. I don't have a specific answer to your question, but it might be worth exploring the following:

- Contacting your insurance provider to discuss this with them directly. You might be able to get something in writing from them that protects you if a leak happens through Microsoft. Misread the original post and thought your convo was with Microsoft.
- If you all you need to do is store the files, do you have avenues to store them in a way that they're not "always available" on your computer or not going to be part of whatever copilot is doing (e.g. not located by most filesystem-level tasks, for example if the files are in some type of container)? If you need to consult old files regularly this might not be viable, though.

univbee fucked around with this message at 12:50 on Apr 18, 2024

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

univbee posted:

drat. I don't have a specific answer to your question, but it might be worth exploring the following:

- Contacting your insurance provider to discuss this with them directly. You might be able to get something in writing from them that protects you if a leak happens through Microsoft.
- If you all you need to do is store the files, do you have avenues to store them in a way that they're not "always available" on your computer or not going to be part of whatever copilot is doing (e.g. not located by most filesystem-level tasks, for example if the files are in some type of container)? If you need to consult old files regularly this might not be viable, though.
I believe the discussion relayed was with the insurance provider which makes it even worse but it's also not really that surprising. I'm also in Australia at a University and we've also been extremely slow to make decisions around how to handle AI stuff, especially for exams and assignments.

Even though a lot of stuff has used ML algorithms for quite some time I don't think anyone was really prepared for just how hard the major players were going to push "AI" in such a short period of time. Most people see the "AI" buzzword but don't actually understand what it involves and as a result everyone's still scrambling to catch up as what it's actually doing starts to filter through.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Mercurius posted:

I believe the discussion relayed was with the insurance provider which makes it even worse but it's also not really that surprising. I'm also in Australia at a University and we've also been extremely slow to make decisions around how to handle AI stuff, especially for exams and assignments.

Even though a lot of stuff has used ML algorithms for quite some time I don't think anyone was really prepared for just how hard the major players were going to push "AI" in such a short period of time. Most people see the "AI" buzzword but don't actually understand what it involves and as a result everyone's still scrambling to catch up as what it's actually doing starts to filter through.

Ah sorry, too early in the morning for me and for some reason thought the convo was with a Microsoft rep. I've been participating in convos at my university where possible about the realities of AI.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Livo posted:

I apologise if this is the wrong thread, or worthy of a new thread in a different forum, but is there a good link, ideally from direct Microsoft sources, but non MS sources are fine, on how Copilot actually works, in regards to how it exactly searches your files? By that I mean, does it (currently) just scan the file name? The actual contents of the Word document, Excel etc? Does the Copilot only work if you are logged into a MS Live account, or even if you're logged out, it still reads the file name/contents for searching? Does it just use a stored model on your computer (in case there's no Internet connection) so it's local searches with no Internet, or does it send data overseas for the model to work properly?

I'm a sole trader, so no "IT Permission MS Server Framework" server admin authorisation stuff for me. I work in Allied Health in Australia: I am legally required to have private/public indemnity insurance, and there's been a ton of recent data leaks, including private medical insurance details for nearly a third of the entire population last year, so there's public awareness about this. Also, I am legally required to keep all patient medical notes for over half a decade, or face legal consequences. Hurray!

MS has two places where they talk about this:
Copilot with commercial data protection: Commercial data protection means both user and organizational data are protected: Prompts and responses aren't saved, Microsoft has no eyes-on access, and chat data isn't used to train the underlying large language models.
Copilot Studio compliance offerings: Microsoft Copilot Studio is covered under the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) Business Associate Agreement (BAA).

By the letter of their own disclosure, I believe you should avoid Copilot. Only having a corporate network paying for Entra or Copilot Studio is enough where MS promises not to dump your data into the next chatbot. To be 100% safe I would avoid using it / only use it for limited purposes when not working with legally sensitive data.

OTOH when searching local files it's not like it can upload all your files instantly to the cloud, so I'd guess what's actually happening is that it's using the standard (non-AI) local Windows Search and then just reformatting the results in chat style.

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

barf barf i am a dog, barf on your carpet, barf

CatHorse posted:

That was because of recovery partition, not the efi one.
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...a9-24c8229763bf

Could this be why my computer freezes at the login screen after installing KB5036893? Had to uninstall it to get back in again.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Somebody finally cracked the nut on the specific Linux speaker support issue with Razer laptops and other hardware: https://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=207423

Thank you Windows 11 thread for helping me put the correct vibes out into the universe to make this happen.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Arivia posted:

These days it's only really an issue when dual-booting but some early UEFI implementations had bugs that would cause issues with UEFI booting or BIOS updates if the partition was smaller than 256 MB.

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".
Them making it 100MB was for sure predatory to make it harder to dual boot another o/s

This IS Microsoft we’re talking about

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

namlosh posted:

Them making it 100MB was for sure predatory to make it harder to dual boot another o/s

This IS Microsoft we’re talking about

Nah. You can and should have more than one EFI partition for multiple OSes, so the size of the MS one is irrelevant to any other OS.

EFI partitions just don't need to be big. All you need is the bootloader that understands enough of the main OS's filesystem (ntfs, ext, etc) to start loading the kernel. 100mb is plenty for the windows EFI, or at least it was for the win10 one. Mine shows 32mb/100mb used, so IMO that's a perfectly cromulent size. Even if the 11 bootloader got bigger I'd bet it still fits fine.

(For linux, depending on which filesystem you use, your EFI might just be GRUB which is like 3mb. Or it might put the whole kernel there which is like 300+mb. But any way you do it, you probably don't want it on the same partition as the one windows uses, and you super don't want to share if you have the whole kernel there.)

Now if you wanna talk about secure boot, I'm right with you.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Whenever I see discussions like this I'm reminded that IBM tried to give their LVM to the FOSS community and they declined.

Boot management under AIX is pro.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009
Windows and linux can all use the same efi partition just fine. And I think freebsd can too, but it's been a while since I had it installed. They all sit in different folders and don't bother each other.
pre:
/dev/nvme0n1p2                     96M   67M   30M  69% /boot/efi
Of course, it being 100MB you don't want to put your kernel there, but just the bootloader files is more than fine. Plenty of space. You can have multiple EFI partitions, but you definitely do not need to.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Volguus posted:

Windows and linux can all use the same efi partition just fine. And I think freebsd can too, but it's been a while since I had it installed. They all sit in different folders and don't bother each other.

It is a known thing that windows may wipe stuff from its EFI partition, while doing particular system updates. Also it can change the partition UUID, which may or may not be a problem for another OS depending on setup. Windows considers that space to be something it "owns", it doesn't ask first.

So yeah you can do it if you want but IMO it's asking for trouble. It's 100mb who cares?

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Klyith posted:

It is a known thing that windows may wipe stuff from its EFI partition, while doing particular system updates. Also it can change the partition UUID, which may or may not be a problem for another OS depending on setup. Windows considers that space to be something it "owns", it doesn't ask first.

Well, it wasn't known by me (as I have never experienced it, so never googled that). Had that partition for a while now (more than a decade). But, if you say so ... ok. It hasn't changed the UUID either, it always was a weird one:
pre:
UUID=08A9-A4A0          /boot/efi               vfat    umask=0077,shortname=winnt 0 2
I cloned the drive when I got a new one, so basically unchanged.

Klyith posted:

So yeah you can do it if you want but IMO it's asking for trouble. It's 100mb who cares?

I am just thinking that this may be one of those things that may have been true a long time ago (maybe a bug? or different reasons) and people just repeat it nowadays.

Volguus fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Apr 18, 2024

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

AlexDeGruven posted:

Whenever I see discussions like this I'm reminded that IBM tried to give their LVM to the FOSS community and they declined.

Boot management under AIX is pro.

What I find funny is that the tiny Hackintosh community made a bootloader (out of necessity, but still) that is like a million times better than BCD and GRUB.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Volguus posted:

I am just thinking that this may be one of those things that may have been true a long time ago (maybe a bug? or different reasons) and people just repeat it nowadays.

Mbr could have only a single bootloader and windows was rewriting that. So probably misremembering that. Quick googling also showed that the uefi boot entry but not the file from the partition could be deleted if switching bios from uefi to legacy mode

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Hey whoever was telling me that win11 was basically not something to worry about upgrading to - you were right. Finished the build for a PC for family member today with win11 and it's basically the same product, no worries at all, glad I went with it. Thanks thread for the help.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Volguus posted:

pre:
/dev/nvme0n1p2                     96M   67M   30M  69% /boot/efi
Of course, it being 100MB you don't want to put your kernel there, but just the bootloader files is more than fine. Plenty of space. You can have multiple EFI partitions, but you definitely do not need to.

Sadly, secure boot is making it more of a necessity to put your kernel in the EFI partition. Thanks Microsoft.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Unified_kernel_image

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

corgski posted:

Sadly, secure boot is making it more of a necessity to put your kernel in the EFI partition. Thanks Microsoft.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Unified_kernel_image

This is a place where the Arch wiki is not the best reference. If you need to have secure boot turned on, you really want to go with a corporate-backed distro (ubuntu, fedora, etc) that has signed shims to avoid all that. Arch doesn't have that because it's a decentralized community project.

And if you want to use Arch, just turn off secure boot.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Klyith posted:

This is a place where the Arch wiki is not the best reference. If you need to have secure boot turned on, you really want to go with a corporate-backed distro (ubuntu, fedora, etc) that has signed shims to avoid all that. Arch doesn't have that because it's a decentralized community project.

And if you want to use Arch, just turn off secure boot.

Fedora is also (slowly) migrating to UKI, it's a better structure for ensuring integrity of the boot process than using signed shims to load potentially untrusted code.

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/Unified_Kernel_Support_Phase_1

corgski fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Apr 19, 2024

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

corgski posted:

Fedora is also (slowly) migrating to UKI, it's a better structure for ensuring integrity of the boot process than using signed shims to load potentially untrusted code.

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/Unified_Kernel_Support_Phase_1

Adding support for UKI doesn't mean they're getting rid of more compatible methods. They even say: "NOT planed: remove support for non-UKI kernels."

And as far as I can tell the UKI option on Fedora won't be signed with the Microsoft* keys. This means you're still adding / maintaining a custom cert, either from RedHat or user-generated, as a MOK in your BIOS. This is a complete no-go for normal people. So I doubt they will ever totally remove the MS signed-shim that allows booting on regular PCs.

In the server and corporate IT world? Absolutely. A UKI is more secure than a boot shim so there are definite advantages. Fedora is dev for RHEL so that's the intended destination. But you'd have to be nuts to do all that poo poo if you're not being paid to maintain it.

*And there's likely zero possibility for it to be. From previous mailing list stuff I've seen, the turnaround for getting the shim signed by MS is not quick.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Is there any particular reason I should want secure boot in a purely personal use environment?

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

If you play video games an increasing number of anti-cheat packages for both Windows and Linux/Proton are requiring it.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Tiny Timbs posted:

Is there any particular reason I should want secure boot in a purely personal use environment?

For the same reason you should want passwords, memory checks, UAC/sudo etc.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Tiny Timbs posted:

Not really IMO. The type of attack it protects against is in the zone of sophisticated targeted attacks and advanced persistent threats. The bad guys compromise the earliest thing in the boot process and use that to compromise the OS in the most invisible way possible, so that they can keep a hidden foothold in somebody's network for years.

The average malware doesn't need to compromise your bootloader or stay invisibly hidden for years. It gets on your system, encrypts all your files, and then waves its dick in your face by popping up a big window that says "all ur filez are belong to me, send bitcoinz to zer0cool".

If you are windows-only leave it on, why not. But I don't see a huge vulnerability for normal home users turning it off. I've never seen reportage of a widespread attack that secureboot alone was proof against.

corgski posted:

If you play video games an increasing number of anti-cheat packages for both Windows and Linux/Proton are requiring it.

That's TPM.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Klyith posted:

That's TPM.

No, it's secure boot.

https://support.faceit.com/hc/en-us/articles/4406281700370-Secure-Boot-needs-to-be-enabled-to-launch-FACEIT-AC
https://www.thespike.gg/valorant/tips/how-to-enable-secure-boot-for-valorant
https://www.reddit.com/r/linuxquestions/comments/12uzsan/why_are_anticheat_systems_now_forcing_the/
https://forum.manjaro.org/t/given-r...anjaro/139179/9

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

:what: lol what the gently caress? The TPM could actually be doing something, secure boot is useless for anti-cheat. I guess they're probably trying to make it harder to run inside a VM or something?

Anyways given that recently someone hacked into other people's games live in a loving tournament and remotely turned on cheats in their games, I would say that a ring-0 anticheat program made by loving videogame devs is a bigger security risk than anything else we've been talking about. :v:

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Riot's anti cheat used to poo poo its pants if you opened notepad

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Klyith posted:

:what: lol what the gently caress? The TPM could actually be doing something, secure boot is useless for anti-cheat. I guess they're probably trying to make it harder to run inside a VM or something?

the fancier cheats have been using UEFI bootkits for a while so enforcing secure boot is the obvious way to stop that

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Klyith posted:

Anyways given that recently someone hacked into other people's games live in a loving tournament and remotely turned on cheats in their games, I would say that a ring-0 anticheat program made by loving videogame devs is a bigger security risk than anything else we've been talking about. :v:

Oh absolutely, I would celebrate if Microsoft started treating all kernel anticheat like they do SafeDisc. (Which is to say, blacklist their drivers and tell anyone who complains to pound sand.)

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

microsoft actually gave riots anti-cheat driver the magic blessing thats usually reserved for antiviruses, which guarantees it's loaded before all normal drivers

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

repiv posted:

the fancier cheats have been using UEFI bootkits for a while so enforcing secure boot is the obvious way to stop that

What? No. Nooooooooo! That doesn't accomplish anything!

If I want to load my cheat at the pre-OS stage, I can self-sign my bootkit and add the key to the MOK. Then I can boot with SecureBoot turned on, a modified kernel, and cheats! And if people are modifying the UEFI itself, they can just accept any signature while still having SecureBoot turned on. Just like malware does, but easier!

What the gently caress is next Riot, to play the game you have to buy a CPU directly from the LoL store that only loads MS certs?

This is the utter buffoonery that you get when trying to completely secure a PC from its owner.

VVV edit: if you're running lower than the anti-cheat and the kernel itself you should be able to intercept that query and tell it whatever you want, but maybe that is raising the barrier of sophistication higher than the cheat makers can reach. The new hotness seems to be using a 2nd PC to capture video and generating aimbot inputs in completely undetectable ways...

Klyith fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Apr 19, 2024

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

vanguard doesn't just let you boot windows with your own secure boot keys, it has to be microsofts keys

i don't doubt there's ways around it but they're not that stupid

Korean Boomhauer
Sep 4, 2008
There's so many video games now that making me jump through a bunch of bullshit just to play doesn't seem worth it to me.

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies

Korean Boomhauer posted:

There's so many video games now that making me jump through a bunch of bullshit just to play doesn't seem worth it to me.

I'd love to be in a world where we could do hardware mods to systems still to bypass drm.

Imagine wiring a resistor between pin 1103 and +5v to enable universal offline mode...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

down1nit posted:

I'd love to be in a world where we could do hardware mods to systems still to bypass drm.

Imagine wiring a resistor between pin 1103 and +5v to enable universal offline mode...

I mean, that's arguably the state of the game console world right now. Hardmod the machine to let you modify the OS, then...