Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Quackles posted:

I mean, that's arguably the state of the game console world right now. Hardmod the machine to let you modify the OS, then...

on the switch yeah, but it's been a while since hardmods were a thing on xbox or playstation

not much you can do once they start burying everything you'd want to modify inside the CPU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008
https://twitter.com/WithinRafael/status/1781743054296432772

Tldr. Microsoft has started to turn windows store links into downloders/installers like download.com, sourceforge and every mallware site befire and since.

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

CatHorse posted:

Tldr. Microsoft has started to turn windows store links into downloders/installers like download.com, sourceforge and every mallware site befire and since.

It's not malware. It's an installer that does the installation management stuff that the Windows Store app used to be required to do (handle prerequisites, additional downloads, etc.), so it removes a click from the install process because you no longer have to click the "Open Microsoft Store" dialog from your browser and you can just get (and keep) a download directly. Basically going from this:

to this:

No longer being dependent on the Microsoft Store app is a good thing.

If you're concerned about Microsoft authored code running on your system being malware, then you might be shocked to know that they're already inside the house and don't need to rely on installer programs to get your computer to run things.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

biznatchio posted:

If you're concerned about Microsoft authored code running on your system being malware, then you might be shocked to know that they're already inside the house and don't need to rely on installer programs to get your computer to run things.

It is dependant on store. It doesn't work if store is not installed.

Also those downloader stubs have no protection against loading loose .dll from download dir (.dll hijacking). A security issue that was fixed in 2015/16 by most installers.
https://twitter.com/WithinRafael/status/1782213111296229776

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Why are you trying to install store apps without the store?

I mean, I get some people have a massive anti-hardon for some of this stuff, but come on.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

biznatchio posted:

It's not malware. It's an installer that does the installation management stuff that the Windows Store app used to be required to do (handle prerequisites, additional downloads, etc.), so it removes a click from the install process because you no longer have to click the "Open Microsoft Store" dialog from your browser and you can just get (and keep) a download directly. Basically going from this:

to this:

Isn’t that what the checkbox is for? Having a Microsoft Store app link open Microsoft Store to install the Microsoft Store app seems like the better approach to me vs. downloading some installer.

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Apr 22, 2024

buffbus
Nov 19, 2012

I just want to know why the guy needed to capture his Windows 95 Plus Pack wallpaper instead of just the window in question.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

You read this thread and can't imagine someone relying exclusively on the print screen key instead of snipping in TYOOL 2024?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Sony Mavica-rear end pic

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

AlexDeGruven posted:

You read this thread and can't imagine someone relying exclusively on the print screen key instead of snipping in TYOOL 2024?

Autoruns a script to disable aero, change the wallpaper and run total commander from personal keyring usb dongle.

Cracks knuckles

Opens chrome.exe

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

buffbus posted:

I just want to know why the guy needed to capture his Windows 95 Plus Pack wallpaper instead of just the window in question.

I think it's kinda traditional in infosec to show some desktop background outside the window when you're demoing an attack. "Yes this is happening on a normal machine."

And how could you possibly crop that majestic cougar out of the picture?

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

Tiny Timbs posted:

Isn’t that what the checkbox is for? Having a Microsoft Store app link open Microsoft Store to install the Microsoft Store app seems like the better approach to me vs. downloading some installer.

I suspect what Microsoft is really after here is wanting to take power away from third-party browser configuration for how protocol handlers are handled (and blocked); but it's much nicer overall to have these downloads work like every other installer download you've ever worked with in your life.

The DLL hijacking issue with the current installer package is a very unfortunate mistake, but I'm sure it'll be fixed quickly given it's an enormous security problem.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Is it an actual full, self-contained installer or does it just open Microsoft Store once it handles the dependencies?

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord
Looks like the installer doesn't bundle any actual content about an app other than metadata; it fetches and downloads the full assets from the store at runtime. All of the installers are ~703KB.

They don't actually launch the Windows Store app to do the install, they host their own UI shown by the installer EXE's process itself; which is almost certainly just the same code that the Windows Store app itself uses to show the installer UI, just pulled out into a standalone executable -- though I doubt it's actually fully done within the EXE itself, it's probably calling to an API to show a system-provided installer window XAML island in-process.

biznatchio fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Apr 22, 2024

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

*raspberry noise*

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

buffbus posted:

I loved that wallpaper back in the day. :kiddo:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

repiv posted:

the fancier cheats have been using UEFI bootkits for a while so enforcing secure boot is the obvious way to stop that

i mean..
i can just sign my bootkit? lol
e: welp this is like 2 pages ago never mind

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Finally unfucked video player exists: MPC-HC with MPCVR:

https://github.com/clsid2/mpc-hc/releases
https://github.com/clsid2/MPCVideoRenderer/releases

Can uninstall madVR and other non-functioning garbage.

With MPC-HC + MPCVR HDR playback works normally. It did not work before really at all.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

Ihmemies posted:

With MPC-HC + MPCVR HDR playback works normally. It did not work before really at all.

wait, who's developing MPC-HC? I thought the dev disappeared and MPC-BE is the go to replacement now

Still stoked that I can say gently caress you to MadVR

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Tiny Timbs posted:

Sony Mavica-rear end pic

Sooner or later it's gonna be a popular aesthetic for digital images to fake dithering and feathering artifacts or whatever, right up there with Insta filters. If they don't exist already.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

HKR posted:

wait, who's developing MPC-HC? I thought the dev disappeared and MPC-BE is the go to replacement now

the clsid2 person has been on that poo poo for years now

for a while it was just updating the libav and other builtin codec stuff, but they started adding features a few years ago

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

doctorfrog posted:

Sooner or later it's gonna be a popular aesthetic for digital images to fake dithering and feathering artifacts or whatever, right up there with Insta filters. If they don't exist already.

It’s already happening, a subset of zoomers carry around what they call “digicams” just to get that authentic 00s “aesthetic”

Source: some article written by an old person like us

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Finally my Ixus 40 might be worth more than £10

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

repiv posted:

the fancier cheats have been using UEFI bootkits for a while so enforcing secure boot is the obvious way to stop that

esports were a mistake

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Truga posted:

i mean..
i can just sign my bootkit? lol

you can't sign it with microsofts certificates and that's what they're checking for

secure booting into windows with your own certificate would probably get you flagged as suspicious immediately lol

repiv fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Apr 22, 2024

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

Last Chance posted:

It’s already happening, a subset of zoomers carry around what they call “digicams” just to get that authentic 00s “aesthetic”

Source: some article written by an old person like us

They're correctly using better lenses to snap better pictures without draining their phone.

It's a millenial thing to be stoked about suddenly being able to take pictures and videos of everything and share it.

buffbus
Nov 19, 2012

Dick Trauma posted:

I loved that wallpaper back in the day. :kiddo:

Dangerous Creatures was nice but Inside Your Computer was the best theme

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".

Ihmemies posted:

So, as someone who plays every video I ever watch on my pc either in a browser or VLC, what is this and why is it cool?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

namlosh posted:

So, as someone who plays every video I ever watch on my pc either in a browser or VLC, what is this and why is it cool?

It's a better video player than VLC in a bunch of small ways. (better seeking, scaling, subtitles, framerate syncing, HDR, etc)

If you don't want a lot of local / downloaded / filez videos you may not care.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Ihmemies posted:

I've been using this build of mpc-hc for years, and the renderer has been around for a while. It's not new, but it is nice.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008
Good news if your work pc is locked down with group policy disabling winget/Store! those new installers bypass those lockdowns and you don't even need to be an admin

namlosh posted:

It's a worse version of mplayer/mpv or ZoomPlayer.

CatHorse fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Apr 23, 2024

Korean Boomhauer
Sep 4, 2008

doctorfrog posted:

ive figured out how to do it in gimp with a background i made

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

HKR posted:

Clsid2. I don’t really need features, except HDR playback simply refused to work with my LG C2 OLED on windows 11. Now HDR finally works well even in a windowed video player. Apparently some Russian guy programmed a new video renderer and clsid2 made a MPC-HC compatible fork of it.

HalloKitty posted:

I've been using this build of mpc-hc for years, and the renderer has been around for a while. It's not new, but it is nice.

Mostly I did not know about it then. HDR has been a massive pain in many things, but finally it works well enough on my pc with photos, movies and games.

I wonder if there are any HDR photo viewers except browsers?

Ihmemies fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Apr 23, 2024

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

CatHorse posted:

Good news if your work pc is locked down with group policy disabling winget/Store! those new installers bypass those lockdowns and you don't even need to be an admin

Finally I can run Minecraft RTX on my work Z8 with RTX A5000.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

The biggest feature that got lost/killed in the Windows 11 Start menu that I'm missing is jumplists. I really love the workflow in Windows 10 of right-clicking an application icon and then selecting a recent file to open.
They still exist on pinned task bar icons so it's not like they are forgotten, entirely? But why are they missing in the Start menu.

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

nielsm posted:

The biggest feature that got lost/killed in the Windows 11 Start menu that I'm missing is jumplists. I really love the workflow in Windows 10 of right-clicking an application icon and then selecting a recent file to open.
They still exist on pinned task bar icons so it's not like they are forgotten, entirely? But why are they missing in the Start menu.

If you search for a program using the Start menu, it'll show the jumplist.

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense

Korean Boomhauer posted:

ive figured out how to do it in gimp with a background i made

Do you have this in 4K?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

doctorfrog posted:

A dude spent months of his life making a Blender system that mimics a film camera.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YE9rEQAGpLw

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

njsykora posted:

A dude spent months of his life making a Blender system that mimics a film camera.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YE9rEQAGpLw

Love this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Turning off recommendations in the Start Menu left a panel saying “recommendations are turned off… to turn them back on go [here]”

What the gently caress