Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Korean Boomhauer posted:

ive figured out how to do it in gimp with a background i made

Ok, now I like this and you're gonna have to tell me how you did it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Tiny Timbs posted:

Turning off recommendations in the Start Menu left a panel saying “recommendations are turned off… to turn them back on go [here]”

What the gently caress

Classy.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

I just wish you could drag a file onto an app's icon to open it like you can in macOS.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Quackles posted:

I just wish you could drag a file onto an app's icon to open it like you can in macOS.

Wait they broke that? Hasn't that been a feature forever?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

They broke it with the New Taskbar Minimum Viable Product Experience

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
I drag and drop files onto emulators all the time but maybe it's program specific and not Windows? I might be missing something though

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

You have been able to drag files/things onto program icons in folder windows since (File) Explorer was introduced in Windows 95, and I think you could even drag files onto program files in File Manager in Windows 3.1.
But you have never been able to drag files onto program icons in the task bar, at least not in Windows 98, and not since Windows 7 when the new-style taskbar with pinned programs were introduced. In past versions it just failed/gave you an error, and in Windows 7 dragging any file onto any location of the task bar (over a program icon or not) will just try to pin it to the task bar. I don't think it worked in any of Me/2000/XP/Vista either.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

nielsm posted:

But you have never been able to drag files onto program icons in the task bar, at least not in Windows 98, and not since Windows 7 when the new-style taskbar with pinned programs were introduced. In past versions it just failed/gave you an error, and in Windows 7 dragging any file onto any location of the task bar (over a program icon or not) will just try to pin it to the task bar.

It's this. In macOS, dragging a file onto a program's icon in the dock will open the file using that program.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

It should be a source of embarrassment that Windows 11 has been out for 2.5 years and you can't move the taskbar

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

nielsm posted:

You have been able to drag files/things onto program icons in folder windows since (File) Explorer was introduced in Windows 95, and I think you could even drag files onto program files in File Manager in Windows 3.1.
But you have never been able to drag files onto program icons in the task bar, at least not in Windows 98, and not since Windows 7 when the new-style taskbar with pinned programs were introduced. In past versions it just failed/gave you an error, and in Windows 7 dragging any file onto any location of the task bar (over a program icon or not) will just try to pin it to the task bar. I don't think it worked in any of Me/2000/XP/Vista either.

You can drag files to taskbar icons in windows 10 to pin them in the right click menu for that taskbar icon. It's not a thing I've ever done, but it's missing from your list of behaviors.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Tiny Timbs posted:

They broke it with the New Taskbar Minimum Viable Product Experience

And reintroduced in 22h2 or 1.5 years ago. It apparently doesn't work if you are an idiot and disable UAC.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Flipperwaldt posted:

You can drag files to taskbar icons in windows 10 to pin them in the right click menu for that taskbar icon. It's not a thing I've ever done, but it's missing from your list of behaviors.

Kind-of and still not. If you drag a file that isn't a program in itself to the taskbar, and the program to open that file isn't pinned, it will pin the program to open that file instead of the file. You can't pin individual files to the taskbar.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

The no means no, me too sentiment doesn't seem to have reached Redmond yet. Maybe Windows 12? Windows Sex Pest more like.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

Thanks Ants posted:

It should be a source of embarrassment that Windows 11 has been out for 2.5 years and you can't move the taskbar

It hasn't broken the lowest common denominator's workflow, therefore it shan't be fixed.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

nielsm posted:

Kind-of and still not. If you drag a file that isn't a program in itself to the taskbar, and the program to open that file isn't pinned, it will pin the program to open that file instead of the file. You can't pin individual files to the taskbar.
I wasn't claiming or implying anything, just stating a fact.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

nielsm posted:

Imagine making this popup and not just allowing the behavior....

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

https://twitter.com/headfallsoff/status/1783230075275485415

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

doctorfrog posted:

Ok, now I like this and you're gonna have to tell me how you did it.

A similar effect can be had in Photoshop really easily:

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

WattsvilleBlues posted:

The no means no, me too sentiment doesn't seem to have reached Redmond yet. Maybe Windows 12? Windows Sex Pest more like.

I'm sorry, what the gently caress is this comparison

Korean Boomhauer
Sep 4, 2008

biznatchio posted:

A similar effect can be had in Photoshop really easily:

lol thats pretty much how I made mine:

Nolgthorn posted:

Do you have this in 4K?

I hope this came out right. I had to kinda recreate it since I didn't remember the exact gradient settings I used before (Im gonna hammer away at this tonite to make it look a lil better):

that little snippet i posted is actually from this (warning: extremely gay):

here's a normal version:

E: aha, got it:

Korean Boomhauer fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Apr 25, 2024

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

Korean Boomhauer posted:

here's a normal version:

Looks like an extreme closeup of Barney Gumble's stomach.

Korean Boomhauer
Sep 4, 2008

biznatchio posted:

Looks like an extreme closeup of Barney Gumble's stomach.

beuges
Jul 4, 2005
fluffy bunny butterfly broomstick

VelociBacon posted:

Imagine making this popup and not just allowing the behavior....

The reason is that an application can define multiple drop targets which will react to the file differently. E.g. you have an app with a bunch of windows inside it, each representing a separate folder. Dropping a file in a window copies the file to that folder. The app is minimised and you drag the file onto the taskbar icon instead. Which folder does the file get copied into?
If you drag the file over the taskbar button and just hold it there, it will bring that app to the foreground and you can then drop it in the right place. But if you just drop it on the taskbar button it can’t do anything. Since you probably expected it to do something not realising the technical reasons why it’s not possible, they pop up that info box instead of just ignoring your drop action on the taskbar button entirely

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

beuges posted:

The reason is that an application can define multiple drop targets which will react to the file differently. E.g. you have an app with a bunch of windows inside it, each representing a separate folder. Dropping a file in a window copies the file to that folder. The app is minimised and you drag the file onto the taskbar icon instead. Which folder does the file get copied into?
If you drag the file over the taskbar button and just hold it there, it will bring that app to the foreground and you can then drop it in the right place. But if you just drop it on the taskbar button it can’t do anything. Since you probably expected it to do something not realising the technical reasons why it’s not possible, they pop up that info box instead of just ignoring your drop action on the taskbar button entirely

Ah, right. Because the windows taskbar conflates the window and the application. As opposed to the Dock, which lists each application as its own icon, and any windows that are minimized go into a separate section on the right.

It makes sense now, because it all flows from the design.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

kirbysuperstar posted:

I'm sorry, what the gently caress is this comparison

Get with the program son. Windows can't take no for an answer...

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

Life would be simple in the forest except for Cyril Sneer. And his life would be simple except for The Raccoons.
I'm setting up a new one of those Mini PCs as a personal web server / media center. It comes with Windows 11 Pro installed....the search panel keeps panel pops up with all this dumb NFL crap, US news stories, and lovely app links. Can I turn all this poo poo off?

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

Cyril Sneer posted:

I'm setting up a new one of those Mini PCs as a personal web server / media center. It comes with Windows 11 Pro installed....the search panel keeps panel pops up with all this dumb NFL crap, US news stories, and lovely app links. Can I turn all this poo poo off?

HKR posted:

This should do it (I use this to remove bing search results in the start menu)

Regedit

Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Explorer

(You may need to create the "Explorer" subkey under "Windows")

Right click, New > DWORD (32-bit) Value

Name the value "DisableSearchBoxSuggestions". Double-click it and set its value data to "1".

Restart your computer

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Cyril Sneer posted:

Yep

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007
You might want to reinstall from a clean Windows image, who knows what kind of crap the OEM crammed into the default install.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Quixzlizx posted:

You might want to reinstall from a clean Windows image, who knows what kind of crap the OEM crammed into the default install.

Like that one mob that put malware into the WIM lol

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

Life would be simple in the forest except for Cyril Sneer. And his life would be simple except for The Raccoons.

Quixzlizx posted:

You're not wrong, though I'm planning to switch to Linux once I play around with it a bit.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

My Linux experiment ended up being a failure because the fix for my laptop’s speakers not working ended up being pretty shoddy and unviable :(

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies
Wonder if the chip has a datasheet. Sometimes it's just an optional resistor to choose an operating parameter.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

WattsvilleBlues posted:

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Get with the program son. Windows can't take no for an answer...

I don't know if we need to be comparing Windows/Microsoft to rape. Let's dial it back a notch.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Internet Explorer posted:

I don't know if we need to be comparing Windows/Microsoft to rape. Let's dial it back a notch.

It was you who jumped that far. Could just be flirting. But yeah, tasteless.

Maybe we could compare with some sales assistant that keeps trying to push extra services and insurance and who knows what else with whatever it is you're buying

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 11:52 on Apr 27, 2024

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Apologies.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

HalloKitty posted:

It was you who jumped that far. Could just be flirting. But yeah, tasteless.

Maybe we could compare with some sales assistant that keeps trying to push extra services and insurance and who knows what else with whatever it is you're buying

Appreciate it, but no, I don't think it was me.

And yeah, that would be a great alternative comparison. Frankly, if it was just "no means no," I think it would have been fine if a bit of an eye roll for some. It was everything on top of that that pushed it over the edge, in my opinion.

No worries and thank you. It was definitely borderline and would have likely been just fine in most of the forums and I went back and forth on saying anything. But times, they do be a-changing.

Internet Explorer fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Apr 27, 2024

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Yeah, completely my bad sick British sense of humour. Really doesn't translate well outside of the sickos I work with.

Anyhoo, I had Windows 11 installed on our ancient laptop with the TPM check disabled, an i3 Ivy Bridge 2 core 4 thread CPU with 4GB RAM and an Intel SSD. For some reason Windows 11 ran like poo poo and I reinstalled Windows 10.

A month or two ago I upgraded the RAM to 16GB to try to get some more life out of the laptop and last night I put 11 on it. For whatever reason it now runs surprisingly well, despite using only 5 to 6GB RAM of the total. I don't know if something was up with the original 11 install but surely more (currently mostly unused) RAM shouldn't have made much difference?

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
It's all your ram.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Yeah, completely my bad sick British sense of humour. Really doesn't translate well outside of the sickos I work with.

Anyhoo, I had Windows 11 installed on our ancient laptop with the TPM check disabled, an i3 Ivy Bridge 2 core 4 thread CPU with 4GB RAM and an Intel SSD. For some reason Windows 11 ran like poo poo and I reinstalled Windows 10.

A month or two ago I upgraded the RAM to 16GB to try to get some more life out of the laptop and last night I put 11 on it. For whatever reason it now runs surprisingly well, despite using only 5 to 6GB RAM of the total. I don't know if something was up with the original 11 install but surely more (currently mostly unused) RAM shouldn't have made much difference?

The difference your upgrade has demonstrated is in how much Windows can precache. With 4GB RAM you’ve got memory pressure just from loading the kernel, Explorer, and the various services that comprise Windows in the year 2024. With 16GB RAM that ceiling is gone - all of Windows can comfortably load, and it can preload various libraries and executables it predicts you’ll need before you launch those programs. Windows has also historically had a tendency to aggressively use swap space; in 4GB RAM you’re going to thrash a lot more, which is going to further negatively impact your experience.