Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fats
Oct 14, 2006

What I cannot create, I do not understand
Fun Shoe
It seems odd they're trying to do CPU compatibility by model number and not just supported features.

On the plus side, this did make me realize my TPM wasn't enabled at all, along with secure boot, whatever the point of that is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fats
Oct 14, 2006

Fun Shoe
Installed on an unsupported 7700k, so far so good. Mostly feels like a skin for Windows 10. Start menu in the middle of the screen makes zero sense to me.

Fats
Oct 14, 2006

Fun Shoe

codo27 posted:

Most importantly, you can retain expanded taskbar icons right? No ridiculous insane grouping as has been the out-of-box standard since 8? God I hate that

Not currently, or at least if it lets you expand items I can't find the setting.

Fats
Oct 14, 2006

Fun Shoe

doctorfrog posted:

Out of nothing more than idle curiosity, are taskbar pinned apps still a thing, and if they are, are they still .lnk files placed in AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\User Pinned\TaskBar?

They're either unchanged from that, placed in a less anachronistic location, or something more complicated has happened to these sorts of things for no reason. Maybe I ask this as an indicator of where W11's head is at, how modernized and truly separated from previous versions of Windows it really is.

Background, if you care: I like to change the icons of pinned apps, and editing the shortcuts allows this. They still revert to the application's default icon when run, but when sitting idle, they can be any icon you like. I take my customization in Windows where I can get it.

Yep, they're still there.

Fats
Oct 14, 2006

Fun Shoe
Yeah, if anyone *hasn't* installed the latest patch, please don't. Seems broken on both beta and dev flights. I tried uninstalling the update from the F8 menu while windows boots (I think you can restore from there too), but that didn't help.

The one thing that's worked for me so far: turn off internet date syncing and change the date to October 5th or later. Suddenly things work again.

To do this while things are broken: ctrl-alt-delete, open task manager, file -> run new task, "control panel", clock and region, set time and date, turn off internet time syncing and change the date ahead a ways (I had to go to october 5th). Restart, and bam. Don't ask me why this works.

Edit: I'm also seeing some reports of people who didn't update having the same issues, so lol

Fats fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Sep 3, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fats
Oct 14, 2006

Fun Shoe
Thanks for the fix, I was able to set the date back to normal and everything seems good. What a weird bug.