Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007
My favorite is when you get disconnected from a network share, and then you get "host is already in use" errors when attempting to reconnect until you reboot.

I've had a lot of fun with that one combined with shaky VPN connections when remoting into work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007
It took an annoying half a day when I was setting up my laptop, but my Windows 11 install is probably 95% the same as W10 at this point, and I don't get any of the pathetic pop ups, notifications, and special offers that make W11 feel like a f2p mobile game instead of an OS.

Not that people should have to do that in the first place, but it's not like this crap is completely unremovable.

Following this plus disabling everything Cortana/Onedrive/Edge related (you don't have to try and rip them out of the guts of the OS, disabling everything possible should keep them quiet) should get you most/all of the way there.

https://www.pcmag.com/how-to/how-to-remove-most-annoying-ads-from-windows

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007
The funny thing is in Win 7/10 I would hack in an empty taskbar object on the left in order to center my taskbar icons, so I got the bizarro experience of everyone else who wants everything exactly the same as it was in 2003.

I don't really care about the start menu itself as long as there are no ads or annoying animated tiles that pop up, because i just press the Win key and start typing.

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007
Their leadership demanded lovely, defective keyboards so the laptops would be 1mm thinner.

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007
You might want to reinstall from a clean Windows image, who knows what kind of crap the OEM crammed into the default install.