Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
A "remind me never" option would be nice for plenty of their new features.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

Annath posted:

Hey there.

So, I run Win10 on my personal computer. I have to use 11 on my work laptop, and I loathe the UI changes, so I've been putting off updating.

However, I acknowledge that I probably should go ahead and pull the trigger.

My questions:

1. Am I able to just upgrade the OS without a full wipe? I have a lot of stuff set up that I don't want to redo, which a full wipe would require.

2. Are there any notable applications that aren't working with 11?

3. Is there a way to get rid of the UI changes. Or really all the user-facing changes. Like, can I essentially make this "Windows 10 with 11 under the hood".

I'd still be running Win7 if it was still supported tbh, even 10 was a downgrade imo.

Take a screen shot of your start menu before you upgrade to 11, because unlike previous upgrades (7-8-10) where they made some attempt at copying over your pinned programs, with 11 they decided that was too hard so gently caress you eat the default start menu pinned programs.

But even if you forget to do that, the upgrade does not actually delete your old start menu/pinned apps and you can bring it back with explorer patcher, which is free, restores most of the windows 10 UI, and seems to be decently maintained (occasionally a windows update breaks it, but they usually get such cases fixed in less than a week): https://github.com/valinet/ExplorerPatcher

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

Quackles posted:

Got it. What do you recommend I do for fan speed management instead?

(Preferably, whatever it is doesn't need an extra installation. I don't want to have to bother my IT department if I don't have to - they're pretty busy.)

Any software you want to use to control fans will require administrator access to even run, because they have to be able to interact on the system management bus to work at all. Basically they need to read/write to some space in memory that is reserved by BIOS, and windows won't let anything in plain "user space" do that for very good reasons.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

down1nit posted:

Win 11 is constantly getting better.
If Microsoft hadn't made it so horrible in the first place...

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
Also windows 11 is enough of a moving target that I wonder if a book will even be useful...

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
That or the whole tower is the "hard drive".

I have had multiple people ask me why I don't work with computers even though I am so good with computers. I tell them that is exactly why I don't work with computers. Why would I ruin my fun hobby by turning it into a miserable job? Although I have ended up working in a computer adjacent thing anyway: CNC machining. But computer stuff isn't even the dumbest thing I've heard at work, multiple people have asked why they don't just put alternators on my electric vehicle so it never has to recharge. Like basic conservation of energy stuff that I could swear I learned and properly comprehended before highschool even. I guess people just think alternators generate infinite electricity and don't need you to burn fuel/run your engine to spin it. Or the time my dad who worked in local government said someone called and asked when the city was going to fix the hot water lines because they were only getting cold water at their house. Like most people these days seem to have zero curiosity whatsoever about how things they use in their daily lives actually work and its just sad.

Someone asked how I knew so much stuff and I'm thinking like "I remember what I learned in school and Wikipedia/The Internet exists?". I am often curious how things work, so I look them up or research them, it isn't hard most of the time (unless it involves more math than simple stuff like how you can figure out any third variable out of volts/amps/watts if you have the other two).

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

Blue Footed Booby posted:

This wasn't available at release. Not actually sure when they patched it in. Glad they did, though.

Yeah, I was using explorerpatcher for a while (and having it cause crashes after updates occasionally), but some team at Microsoft apparently got the hint and at least partially unfucked the taskbar and start button so it is easier to tolerate and I don't need or use explorerpatcher anymore. The action center from 10 is still superior to the notification slider in 11, the clear notifications button being moved to the top of the screen is a UX change that seems to be the whole pattern of Windows 11: seemingly random and incomprehensible.

Here is hoping a quick turnaround to Windows 12 that will hopefully be more like 10.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

Vic posted:

please no, 10 was an apology for 8. And there was nothing wrong with 7. Y'all are crazy

No, I also liked 7 better. Just hoping 12 is a rollback of at least the majority of poo poo that is wrong with 11.