Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Really not looking forward to HQ pushing me onto Win11 after reading this thread. On the other hand, I heard it has Android emulation, which will let me run Microsoft Authenticator without having to pull out my personal Chromebook every time I want to get onto a federated SharePoint server. And I heard wsl2 won't require some bonkers kludge to use the right name server with our VPN client installed.

So kind of a mixed bag?

In closing, I miss having a Linux desktop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Flipperwaldt posted:

I guess you haven't reached halfway page 114 of this thread yet.

drat it

You know, this wouldn't even be an issue for me if they would just release a version of Microsoft Authenticator that ran on a Microsoft operating system. I do not understand these people.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Harik posted:

Microsoft or Google Authenticator is just a Time-based One Time Password (TOTP) service

:actually:

The primary reason most businesses require Microsoft Autheniticator is because they're implementing a Microsoft product called "Entra". This sends a request to the cloud from the device trying to authenticate, which triggers a push notification to the enrolled Authenticator device, triggering a popup with (hopefully) a little map of the geoip location of the authenticating device, and a box to enter a 2-digit code, which is presented to the authenticating device by the cloud server. If you enter the code, you're in.

There is no explanation of why the map is there, so most people ignore it, which is why a type of proxy attack called "evilproxy" is making big waves right now. Nobody thinks anything of it if the map shows Indonesia, because it was never explained why the map mattered.

I don't know why Authenticator doesn't, at a minimum, compare the location against the phone's built-in location services, to at least ask "are they within 500 miles of each other", but I'm sure Microsoft has their reasons.

None of this is a problem that Webauthn (Fido U2F) suffers from, since it looks up a unique asymmetric key pair by hostname. If a malicious proxy server tries to authenticate, the Fido device doesn't know what keypair it's trying to trick out of the user, so it just fails. Bing bang, an entire class of attack sidestepped by a nice architecture.

Anyway. I still have to use Entra, which means I need to lug around my personal Chromebook while I'm on work travel. It's probably for the better, since it prevents me from doing any non-work stuff on the work laptop.

e: in closing, "something you know + something you have" is all well and good, but when your entire architecture is vulnerable by design to a man-in-the-middle attack, it's worthless.

cruft fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Mar 22, 2024

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

I have it on my smartphone, I just have my Chromebook handy more frequently than I have my smartphone handy.

The point is, Microsoft Authenticator doesn't run on Microsoft Windows.

It seems like $EMPLOYER might care that I installed the Bonzai Buddy launcher on my phone, which I gave permission to draw over any app, and subsequently can change the map everybody ignores to show wherever I happen to be at the time, so that Bonzai HQ can evilproxy attack my account. But, no, in this one instance, I am not only allowed to run a super important work app on my personal device, but I am required to.

cruft fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Mar 22, 2024

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Harik posted:

lol that's so terrible and worthless, A++ at making this incredibly stupid system.

Well, it *is* an improvement over reusable passwords. It's just a two steps forward, one step back sort of thing.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Vic posted:

I'm using Mozilla Thunderbird. Free, open source, works well.

I'm tempted to say the same thing about Linux, but it would feel like unhelpful nerd chest-beating ITT, so I won't.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Klyith posted:

sure. but that's just a browser window without the browser toolbars, it's no better or worse than a tab

I would guess that what people liked about the Windows Mail app is that it locally stores copies of emails, which makes it faster.

If you "install" with Chrome or Edge, it's a little more sophisticated than that, because you get a Progressive Web App. This uses a special web worker to serve fetch() calls, and (one presumes) makes some smart decisions about caching content that is infrequently updated. I believe the Gmail PWA caches the application itself along with some subset of your inbox: probably metadata so that it can quickly render message lists.

It's not beyond the realm of possibility that, JavaScript engine aside, the Gmail app caches roughly the same amount of stuff as Outlook, and will be about as performant.

Mozilla actually invented this technology, I believe to support the mobile (phone) operating system they were working on. They sold that OS off: it's now called "KaiOS" and is used by Nokia-branded phones, among others. KaiOS does not really use PWAs, although they use something very similar. Mozilla has since stopped supporting PWAs, which in my opinion is a real shame.

cruft fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Apr 8, 2024

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

FML I'm posting in the Windows 11 thread again.

My bluetooth headset won't use the mic. Well, it will, but only for about half a second before it switches back to the higher-quality stereo playback with no mic.

Teams, the main app I use this with, used to have both "Headphones" and "Headset" output options for this device. Now, only "Headphones". I can screw around in settings and enable "Headset" as an input device, but there's no "Headset" output device, which I think is why it uses the correct setting and then switches back to Headphones half a second later.

I found a 3-year-old Reddit thread with people complaining about this same problem. The solution: stop trying to use the mic in your headset. :bang:

Anybody ever run into this? Did you find a way to fix it?

I should note this headset works perfectly in Windows 10, ChromeOS, and Android.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Celexi posted:

bluetooth headsets in windows is a shitshow as it doesnt support high quality in both directions, I just use a bo headset that is for xbox with the xbox adapter or plug it in.

At this point I'd be happy with any quality in both directions. Is there a way to do that? All I can get is speakers, no mic.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Yeah I've tried unpairing and re-pairing; I've tried removing the device from Device Manager everywhere I could find it (5 sections) and rebooting; I've tried using the USB cable, I've tried using the dongle included with the headset. I've twiddled every setting I could find under Settings, and everything in the Control Panel sound thingy. Today I'm going to try removing the entire Bluetooth device driver.

Something interesting I found last night on the Chromebook is that even with the USB cable, this headset falls back to mono when you enable the microphone. So somehow, maybe just internally, it can't do stereo speakers + mono mic: it only handles two audio channels.

But I also ordered a new wired headset last night.

:sigh:

I also discovered last night that our work forum has a couple other people reporting what sounds like the same problem after moving to Windows 11. So I wrote up everything I knew about it, linked to that form, and sent it to the tech desk. Maybe if they see this is problematic for a larger percentage of users they'll do more than tell me to buy a new headset.

cruft fucked around with this message at 15:04 on May 8, 2024

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Well it turns out the IT desk actually knows about this and the fix is to update the Realtek audio driver.

So now the Bluetooth headset will work with the included dongle, or with the USB cable. It'd be spiffarino if it worked with straight up Bluetooth, but I can live with this.

e: I think the thing that makes Windows so personally infuriating is that I knew what the problem was (wrong Bluetooth device profile) but the OS provides no mechanism for me to fix it, or even validate my guess. Instead I have to click through random poo poo and make wild guesses about how to translate the friendly UI into the actual back-end technological resolution. I remember the day that Internet Explorer stopped showing my 500 HTTP error pages and I had to completely redesign every web application to dump a ton of whitespace in order to force it to display error messages used to debug problems.

cruft fucked around with this message at 17:37 on May 8, 2024

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Update: installing an updated "Intel Bluetooth Driver" from HP's support web site has the headset working without a dongle. I've informed our tech desk.

So...

Symptom: my bluetooth headset microphone is suddenly not working (no option in Teams or other sound apps to use the mic) when previously it worked

Fix (for me): update the "Realtek Audio Effects Component" (under Audio Processing Objects in Device Manager), and the Intel(R) Wireless Bluetooth(R) driver (under Bluetooth in Device Manager)

Good luck!

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Klyith posted:

that explains it, the audio effects driver is loving with all audio on the system.

I probably don't event want to know what the hell an "audio effects driver" is. But my black-box debugging leads me to believe that Win11 changed how it does audio.

In Win10 it seems like a dual-mode device would show up as two devices: one for stereo playback, and one for mono+mic. Even on USB.

In Win11 it looks like they're trying to have just one device, and it's up to the Bluetooth driver (or audio effects driver I guess) to make a final determination about what mode to request from the hardware.

So I guess I had Win11 with Win10 drivers, and when something called for the mic, the OS was like "yo driver, give me a mic", which the driver did, but then the OS was like "yo driver I also need audio" and the driver would switch the profile back to stereo. Now, presumably, the driver keeps track of the fact that the mic is in use, and doesn't switch back to a stereo profile.

This is all wild guessing. I hate that this is probably the most detail I'll ever know about what's going on. I miss Linux.

The part I hate the most is that I probably spent less time debugging this than I would have spent debugging a similar issue on Linux. And at the end of the day, nobody cares whether I know all kinds of trivia about Bluetooth profiles: they just want my TPS reports.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Nolgthorn posted:

I read a bunch of background on it it's a ridiculously bloated and overly complex standard. Not that linux is usually fast to catch up on new tech but the ongoing difficulties with it does a pretty good job revealing what tech by committee does.

Seconding this take: I also have learned more about Bluetooth than I ever wanted to, and it's awful.