Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I hit the Windows key and type the name of whatever app I want and it generally works quickly and easily without any extra software. This is the first machine in years that I didn't install Free Launch Bar on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Windows Next, officially abbreviated to Wext™.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

GET
ON
MY
LEVEL

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Couple of weeks ago the CEO's assistant gave me an assortment of old external drives, looking for an archive of his family photos. First one I checked was nothing but celebrity nudes from the iCloud hack years ago.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

~Coxy posted:

What's the heart behind a set of venetian blinds?

Wow, that's the icon for Extra! which was a terminal emulation program. :corsair:

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Rinkles posted:

Also I realized the stuttery behavior only happens when I'm using the mouse to draw. It's fluid with the trackpad.

I misread that as sluttery behavior.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

HalloKitty posted:

I would also recommend Veeam Agent for Windows, there's a free version.

I run Veeam Backup & Replication and have it deploy and manage Veeam Agents on my network, gathers all my backups in one place. I work a lot with Veeam, so I guess that's what made sense to me, and it's pretty remarkable that they allow you to use a fair amount of features for free

I've been using Veeam for this for years and it seems to be easy and reliable. I have a little case with the backup drive and the USB thumb boot drive close at hand.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I've had a weird issue where a couple of months ago I started experiencing significant lag on file operations, like opening and saving. Everything else seems normal. SMART results for the SSD are normal, firmware's up to date. It's sporadic.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

If you're logged into a MS account and OneDrive on the PC is configured to "back up" your PC then it redirects the folders it's keeping in sync, like Desktop, Documents, Pictures. Anything that goes into a backed up folder gets synced to OneDrive. Comes in handy at work when someone has a desktop and a laptop, or needs to switch to a new PC. Once they log in to OneDrive and enable that feature it all syncs back down.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I used Bing AI to generate a screenshot of the Windows 12 Start menu! :kiddo:

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

repiv posted:

that's why ctrl+shift+alt+win+L opens linkedin

the gently caress :stare:

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Real pros use the forward slash to open their menus.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I didn't know about that setting until right now. Thank you!

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Tiny Timbs posted:

This year’s crop of interns was my first time encountering somebody with an engineering degree who didn’t know basic computer functions and it took me forever to realize he wasn’t loving with me

I had to move one of our employees to a different cubicle and I told him that I'd be leaving his LCDs behind in favor of new ones that were already in the new cubicle. I thought he was messing with me when he asked if that meant that he would lose any files, and I laughed it off and then he got annoyed because he was serious. I explained that none of his files were stored in the LCDs and he wouldn't lose anything but he started getting huffy so I just moved them along with the rest of his stuff.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Tell me that the color scheme is called "pickle juice."

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

This morning I saw a popup about Dynamic Lighting being available and it took me to a settings panel I hadn't seen before that allowed me to fiddle with the LED logo on my mouse.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

slidebite posted:

Oh, I'll have to do that.

Isn't the TPM hardware needed for encryption, like Bitlocker?

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

~Coxy posted:

I can tell this is fake since it's not suggesting sfc /scannow and DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

:hai:

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

repiv posted:

the TPM requirement has the knock-on effect that it enables software to rely on it for attestation

riots anti-cheat won't run on win11 if you force it to install without a TPM, and i wouldn't be surprised if winevines strictest tier starts requiring a TPM at some point

I've seen some weird TPM related errors with corporate M365 sign ins.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Just imagine the throughput on a winmodem with modern CPUs! :kiddo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

buffbus posted:

I just want to know why the guy needed to capture his Windows 95 Plus Pack wallpaper instead of just the window in question.

I loved that wallpaper back in the day. :kiddo: