Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice
I'm a shallow man who likes pretty technology and software so I am looking forward to this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

College Slice
I know its probably better to do a clean install, but I really don't want to. Hard to say, i'm sure, but updating from 10-11 through the tool won't affect performance too much, probably?

Also, I have 'differently acquired' versions of microsoft word and excel. I'm guessing these won't work on 11.

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

College Slice
How many of you guys simply updated without doing a clean install? Does it feel slower or more bloated? I don't really want to go through the whole thing of backing up my machine, wiping, and then doing one from a freshly formatted drive.

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

College Slice
I'm so bored and tempted to install win 11, just to have something 'new'. But my machine on Win 10 is so light and fast, there's no bloat or bugs of any kind. This is very much 'if it ain't broke don't fix it'. But, so tempting nonetheless...

henpod fucked around with this message at 11:13 on Oct 28, 2021

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

College Slice

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Why don't you try dual booting?

I'm a big dummy and mess up the most simplest things and will end up making something slower, or file systems messier, or whatever. Are you saying I can choose which OS to start with, and if I don't like 11, I can just 'delete' it, and then my pc will boot up as normal from 10 as if nothing happened?

Edit - yeah, this requires creating partitions and stuff. I know they aren't complicated but I know I will gently caress it up. Thanks anyway :), I think i'll wait a bit longer for 11.

henpod fucked around with this message at 11:47 on Oct 28, 2021

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

College Slice

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Fair enough. Are you running anything in particular you're worried won't work? I've been using 11 for a few months and haven't encountered any major issues.

Not really. I just have my Windows 10 set up in such a nice, neat minimalist way. Everything just 'works' and its very fast. I figure updating to 11, which is still very much a WIP from what I hear may end up being slower or something.

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

College Slice
This is probably a stupid question, but let's say I update to Windows 11 using the tool. Not a clean install, even though I know its better, getting all my files etc backed up is gonna be a hassle.

If for whatever reason I want to roll back to Windows 10, would using the tool to do so leave 'residue' of Windows 11. As in, is there a possibility of things being a little slower / messier than what they were before? If you know what I mean.

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

College Slice

Klyith posted:

Shouldn't be. The update puts the old windows install into a folder called Windows.old. So the process of reverting to 10 is just putting that back.

OTOH if you're concerned about things being a little slower or messier, I think it's still not time to update to 11. You seriously aren't missing anything life-changing, and it still is in the launch quirks zone. Next fall after the first annual update it'll be much improved.

You're probably right, but i'm really bored and tinkering with a new OS, even if its a bit janky might pass the time. However, I would like a little more control over the taskbar and start menu. I see Start11 and Startallback as the two main ones, but can't really find out which one is better. Does anyone here have a preference?

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

College Slice

Agoat posted:

The visuals are really nice. It feels modern, where I was getting a little too used to Win10. Setting up Spotify and Steam to match the Win11 visual style has been fun, too.

Powershell and CMD are really easy to get to, as well. I don't often need these programs, though.

Overall, it's been really nice.

I like Windows 11 too and the quiet / modern feeling it has. I'm not really a power user as such, so I guess I have not noticed any shortcomings. Bugs and crashes have been minimal and everything feels just as fast as Windows 10. Don't know about battery life.

I also installed Start11 and have a really nice start menu which I configured to be a semi-transparent version of Windows 10. I don't regret the update at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

College Slice
Yep for me it's worth the price of a cup of coffee. Solved the only problem I had with 11 really.