Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I think I read as much prior to the official announcement yesterday, but you'd better be able to move the start button and icons back to the left. I cant believe they aped apple with that poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

How much you wanna bet this is in response to the 11 compatibility fiasco. Gotta love that "powerhouse performance" from the entry level 6th gen i5 model.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

The Lord Bude posted:

Everyone go scroll through this:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-au/windows/windows-11

They are trying so very, very hard to imitate the style of Apple's website, it's actually funny.

Their website design has been like this for some years, particularly on the store as well. Still disappointed they centered the taskbar icons though

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Most importantly, you can retain expanded taskbar icons right? No ridiculous insane grouping as has been the out-of-box standard since 8? God I hate that

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Started downloading the insider preview yesterday, began installing. Got to 24% or something and I got sidetracked and had to leave. Open up the laptop again, whole process has reset to downloading 0%. Off to a great start here.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Finding performance not great so far on my surface laptop 3 (i5/8gb). Even just then as I was backspacing it kinda lagged for a second which I've never seen on anything I've owned myself in many years. Changing colors in personalization takes a longggg time.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Man what was the name of that program I think I got on a PC gamer cd 100 years ago that transformed your desktop into an actual 3D space station looking room that you could walk around and interact with the icons and junk in a totally superfluous way

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

It was 3DNA I believe, that sounds right. I may have embellished the space part

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

Why don't they just sell that as a Display?

Because apple has displayed, beyond any shadow of a doubt, that a fool and his money soon part. (Personally I think this whole TPM thing is overblown and the Studio along with a lot more PCs will in fact support 11 if for no other reason than MS caves to the outrage about it)

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Its terrible capitulating to dingbats who want things to be like macos anyway, but worse again is icons are either there once, if no running instances, or twice, if there are any number of instances. If its going to be grouped (yes, they had better cave on this) then there should only be one copy of it sitting there.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

So here's the taskbar with edge open.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

teraflame posted:

Can I get a fully functioning taskbar on external monitors yet?

Just submitted feedback about this very issue (seriously use the feedback hub)

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

site posted:

just installed my third cumulative update for 11 since i installed it and somehow they still haven't fixed the default system tray icons not actually doing anything on single left click lol

Upgrade and not a clean install? Unpin preexisting ones and repin them, thats what I did.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

I totally believe that some people like. How much feature regression affects you, and how much 'shiny and new' entices you is frequently a function of how much you ask the OS to do. Most end users could probably be fine on ChromeOS, and for those people, Windows 11 will appear to be an improvement...but they should just be on ChromeOS

Only people like my mother who use the computer strictly to play slot machines on facebook should be on ChromeOS.

And you guys need to drop it with this blah blah tablet blah blah touch stuff. You're blowing it way out of proportion. The only real problem I've encountered so far is the inability to disable taskbar icon grouping. That, and the new start layout is unintuitive.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I dont like having to go to the right to get the power button again but I'm not gonna whine all day about it. I mainly dont like that, for the few moments I've actually looked at it, the start menu is no longer a comprehensive list of installed programs.

I'm minimalistic, only the recycle bin goes on my desktop (and I've even moved that to the secondary portrait monitor since I added it) and the search bar & task view is removed from the taskbar with only icons for edge, explorer, outlook and only a couple others at most I cant recall

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Just to be clear I'm onboard for win98 UI (even though my first pc was 2001 so XP) but I can see why they aren't going out of their way to cater to crusty old goons like us

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Falcorum posted:

On that note, is the stupid "3D Objects" folder still built into W11 and unremovable unless you do regedit fuckery?

You need to find something to be passionate about if you care about this

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

The tragedy of macs becoming more ubiquitous is that now other companies think they should adopt their strategy of just telling you what you want and making you live with it. Customization doesn't make money, and we're weirdos for wanting it

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Something that isn't being talked about enough is software updates. I'm so tired of opening up programs like qbittorrent or da vinci resolve to find theres an update (like a fuckin 2gb one in the case of the latter). I know its not that easy when it comes to win32 apps but god drat it they ought have a baked in way by now for devs to get their updates taken care of with windows update or whatever.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

nielsm posted:

Microsoft Store.

Desktop apps though I mean. Or did they add capability for desktop apps to it? I feel like they may have. But even that doesn't do updates worth a gently caress on the store apps as it is, you have to manually open it and do them.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Windows 10 is pretty great and 8 wasn't as bad as it got credit for, but the store has been the major failure of it all. Just trash all around.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Thats what I'm wondering as well. Hopefully the media creation tool page will update tonight/tomorrow morning so I can get to work on my laptop and desktop tomorrow. Might as well jump in with both feet

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Loading it fresh onto my Surface Laptop 3 right now, then this beast next. When booting from USB, touch or built in laptop inputs had no effect, and I thought it was just frozen. Plugged in my old Intellimouse Optical and it worked straight away

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Aside from the issue above, I got it up and running in no time on both my custom desktop and SL3. Watched a movie after so haven't dug too deep, but got steam and everything installed. Battle.net launcher was weird though and wouldn't download for me, kept failing at the last hurdle.

I've been like 3 versions of windows waiting for them to make it so the thing doesn't loving wake on its own when I put it to sleep, but still waiting. Was awake at the sign in screen when I got up this morning. Gonna be a while getting used to god drat grouped taskbar icons. Hopefully they'll fix that blunder

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Cao Ni Ma posted:

MS Store already encrypts the content of the installer folder and it leads to the scenario that you cant run mods on it. Not a whole lot of games allow for direct modding now but the next TES not having that would suck incredibly.

Odds are that the next TES will suck incredibly, seeing the series has been sliding downhill ever faster like a defeated cliff racer on a hill

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I cant imagine how windows itself could have changed your RAM speed

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Koskun posted:

Today I tossed it on a first gen Surface Pro. I had to go into what it calls a BIOS and turn on TPM and Secure Boot, but it didn't have an issue either. It does seem to be running a bit warmer than it did on Win10, but that could just be the bump from the install and it doing all the behind the scenes setup and shuffle.

Thats useful because I was weary if it would work on my SP3 and thought it might just have to be relegated to W10 forever. I'll install it on that tonight.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

For now I'm gonna say stop worrying about your "incompatible" hardware. The 4300u or whatever it is in my Surface Pro 3 sure ain't approved but it worked with no issue installing clean from USB. No warnings or nothin

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

No trouble with multi monitor yet, thats with a portrait to the left of my main as well as a landscape connected to my SL3 via surface dock

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Worst case, you heave 10 back on. Long as you got enough memory and a SSD, 3770 still gonna run the OS and basic tasks well enough. No need to condemn it

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I completely loving forgot there was even a msd slot in the drat things.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Multi monitor people, try running a game on your main and then a video in VLC on your secondary. My second is portrait also btw. 2080.

Movies & TV app is still trash. Try to open an AVI, it wont play until I start moving the bar and then I get these god awful loud crackling noises, used to happen in w10 as well, so thats not fixed at all. But then VLC has the aforementioned issue. Video just chugs along and is a very slow slideshow. Comes back to itself when the game loses full screen focus.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

C'mon now. I dont think there is any sensible reason to bother with an android media player on your PC.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Cross-Section posted:

Snipping Tool being broken is sapping my will to live

Broken how? I have a quirk when in-game, notably D2R, where it doesn't appear immediately when I win shift S, but if I move the mouse a bit it does go into silhouette mode. Not ideal of course but I assume they are working on it.

If you are having bugs, use the feedback center instead of just posting here. Under no circumstances should you have to install some third party program to achieve baked-in windows functionality.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Vic posted:

The control panel in Win11 is completely new and I found everything instantly. It's really good but in that "about loving time" kinda way.

I haven't hosed around in there yet really the older I get and more I work, the less I want to gently caress around in any way with my own poo poo at home. But thats good to know.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I mean I dont wanna paint with a broad brush here, but it works fine on my old 4th gen i5 Surface Pro 3. Long as you install clean off a bootable flash drive I think you're fine.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

13,000 upvotes on the feedback asking to restore ability to leave taskbar icons ungrouped. Thirteen thousand. Do it, you fuckers

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

AlternateAccount posted:

Noticed a bug where it likes to stack items in my taskbar on top of each other rather than, you know, giving each its own spot.

Dirty upgrade? This tends to happen with those with preexisting shortcuts from your previous w10 installation. Remove the old one and it should fix it

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Windows Media Player is getting a refresh, thank gently caress

https://blogs.windows.com/windows-insider/2021/11/16/new-media-player-for-windows-11-begins-rolling-out-to-windows-insiders/

Y'know, they also shoulda redeemed MSN Messenger (I wonder what if they'd succeeded in buying discord?). I've been saying for years they missed the boat by not making a mobile app out of that. Think how many people used BB just for BBM. With the right features it might have extended the life of Windows phone a bit, or at least made some cash as an Android app.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I know its not as easy as a hotkey but you do know if you bring up the volume slider from the tray that theres an arrow to select between sources right?