Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jigsaw
Aug 14, 2008

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

One thing I've noticed that I haven't seen mentioned anywhere is that third party entries in the right click context menu don't seem to be there anymore. So right clicking a .7z file gives me the option to open with 7zip File Manager (since it's the default program), but the quick select options that 7zip adds to the menu to let you quickly zip and unzip files isn't there. I assume they don't want programs to be able to add anything they like in there, or it's just broken, but I feel like it's probably the former.

Between this and the general reduction in customization especially wrt Start, it’s starting to feel like the tagline should be something like: Windows 11: The OS with less.

No way I’m upgrading till I can put the task bar on the side and it’s possible to have third-party entries in the task menu without hacking the registry or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jigsaw
Aug 14, 2008
So, uh, huh.

Just saw this pop up on my loving desktop today. Is there a registry key or GPE setting to disable this Microsoft-sanctioned malware? (I'm actually still on Win10 Pro, but that thread is closed; I assume the registry key and GPE settings would be the same on Win11, though.)

Looking around online seems to show that (i) yes, Microsoft has admitted this is them, and (ii) people are (rightly) pissed about it, but I haven't actually found anything that says how it could be disabled. (I'm assuming just clicking "No, thanks" won't actually prevent it from popping up again whenever it feels like it, despite Microsoft’s assurances that it’s “one-time only.”)

Jigsaw fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Mar 20, 2024

Jigsaw
Aug 14, 2008

astral posted:

If you had Enterprise, you could enable this one:

Turn off Microsoft Consumer Experiences
in Administrative Templates\Windows Components\Cloud Content

Thanks! I’ll try that. It does seem to be there in my Win10 Pro install, even though it’s not Enterprise.

Man, if I didn’t need Windows stuff for my job (which I use my own computer for), I’d hardcore consider a switch to Ubuntu or something over this. I mean, I’m still considering it, but I don’t think it’s reasonably in the cards. I can’t imagine this is ever going to get better (except possibly temporarily, and only following legal action).

Jigsaw
Aug 14, 2008

Klyith posted:

lmao, the 2024 update will have, besides lots more AI bullshit, a block to specifically disable startallback and other customization apps

according to that link they’ll still work if you rename the executable. so not only is it clearly motivated out of spite rather than security, it’s lazy spite