Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I love the macOS-style taskbar

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Stuff like Fitt's Law can assist with designing effective interfaces but it's not a prescriptive rule for how things must be done, especially when there are other factors that contribute to effective interfaces than simply the speed in moving from one element to another.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I love my smart home stuff and it seems to work pretty well and bring me joy

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

This is free, btw

It may go back to costing money if/when Russia unfucks itself. lol, lmao

e: it's a bad aesthetic for the tray, imo, I'm just pointing it out

sucks that it's third party though

Now I have something to picture in my head when I see somebody ranting about the UI changes and it explains a lot

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

Sorry but I’m not ranting about UI changes?

Just saying they’re fixable via third party and I have an unhealthy browser config.

With an investment of a couple minutes and zero dollars you can get the small icons and up down and sideways taskbar. Thank god we didn’t rely on third parties to fix M$ bullshit before this.

I know you're not but I'm still going to picture an anxiety-attack worthy amount of tiny icons scattered haphazardly across the screen and weird UI panes whenever somebody does. If that's what some people are looking for then no wonder they're not happy.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Rexxed posted:

I've seen a lot of arguments for 1600 over 800 DPI if you use 1440p since that's likely closer to what you use in windows, so it might be a good idea. It could vary based on how granular the game makes its sensitivity settings, though.

Is there really a way to egghead an ideal sensitivity in games? I just assume none of their sliders work the same and try to feel out a tolerable setting with my mouse at 2000 DPI.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Klyith posted:

I'd love to hear the reasoning behind these "ssd broken" diagnoses.

quote:

Another is if I'm opening a program, just about any heavy duty-ish one, the disk usage will spike to 100% and

Seems like the most obvious case of abnormal behavior and there's little about a disk software-wise that might cause it.

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Sep 1, 2022

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

hooah posted:

In what way(s)? It seems totally serviceable. And it's not like I use the school email address much anymore anyway. It's just nice to have a way to automatically check it so I don't have to remember every month or whatever.

It’s slow and fucks up formatting really badly on lots of emails. For a while it would pretend some emails didn’t have attachments when they actually did, which made things really awkward for my master’s classes until I figured out what was happening.

I’m trying out Em Client but the UI is pretty rough and has some readability issues so I may just go back to Mail.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I've been using the Windows Mail app on my desktop/laptop and Outlook on my phone, and after having multiple issues with people not seeing images I'm attaching to emails it seems like something with Microsoft's attachment handling system is straight up busted (again). Has anyone else seen this kind of issue? I switched back to the iOS app on my phone and I guess I'll have to find a replacement for the PCs because I can't stand web apps.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

beuges posted:

I’ve had issues with outlook on macOS not attaching files properly when sending from a gmail account. Not sure if that might be related but outlook definitely has had issues with attachments in the past

I can't remember if I posted about it here but I had an issue with Windows Mail not showing attachments that became a real issue when I was missing stuff for my master's program.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I use it a lot to strip formatting

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I just don’t really understand why you’d go through the trouble of rewriting the UI stuff from scratch only for it to remain a painstaking process to add basic features to

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

c0burn posted:

It's bonkers how features from Windows 95 like positioning the taskbar are gone. Just garbage.

I have a Windows 98 machine right next to me and you'd be shocked at how much quicker it does basic UI things like "open the start menu" lol

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I love paint.net but it’s still too interface-ey for the kind of stuff I use paint for

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Apple thread is that way bud

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Bing earned me $20 in Taco Bell money but I just could not keep using a search engine that would frequently make me type things into another search engine to find useful results.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Rinkles posted:

Tbf, Google does this all the time. You ask it a question, it’ll find what it thinks is a relevant source, and spit out a contextless answer. But if you check the link, it’s not that unusual for it to not be what you asked for. I actually think it might have gotten worse in recent years.

It has definitely gotten worse. Clicking a link and not finding any of the text that was shown in the summary makes me irrationally angry.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Combat Pretzel posted:

Google's been pissing me off for a long while now, when it started to reinterpret my search terms very loosely and was returning tons of search results that didn't even include them and were generally not really related to the terms at all. If you could force verbatim search as default, that'd be nice, but you can't.

It was absolutely wild when they just started randomly dropping terms from what you’re searching for. It’ll even ignore quotes and subtractions.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Klyith posted:

In windows 10 the start menu search could also be dogshit due to bing / web search. To turn off all web results you need to follow these instructions. The thing that Rinkles pointed to is just the extra "suggestions" (aka ads).

This is your periodic reminder that Windows is now a freemium product.

DuckDuckGo / Bing is definitely better at a lot of searches now, particularly anything that's getting stuffed by robo-content on google (basic PC technical questions, recipes).

lol at using chatGPT though

DDG has been good to me for a few months. I rarely need to search anything in another engine like I did when I tried Bing last year.

Google is straight up ruined now. I forgot to switch engines on my laptop so when I was searching for stuff I was getting entire results pages full of AI generated nonsense.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

I'm really curious if I'd choose to use this over either LICEcap or just the Game Recorder on the desktop. This is the closest to a real feature Win11 has though, so I guess that's a step.

I don’t give a poo poo about game recordings so I’ve mainly been using PowerPoint to capture desktop stuff so I don’t have to install anything new. This is a great feature.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

MikusR posted:

That is just the outlook.com webpage in a wrapper

Web apps loving suck god dammit

Maybe this one won't invisibly drop attachments and gaslight both me and whomever I'm sending emails to?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

In what way is the "New" Outlook not a downgrade from the Mail app? It doesn't support linked inboxes (from what I can tell) and it looks an awful lot like a lovely web wrapper for an app with a much more crowded and less pleasant interface.

I genuinely like Mail for home email stuff when it's not making attachments I send disappear on the receiving end.

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 01:48 on May 22, 2023

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

It is still way too common for onboard sound to have issues with interference/popping on even expensive motherboards.

Coincidentally I had a similar issue when I bought a Fiio DAC that could only be addressed by editing its software config files and turning on a hidden option.

You can't win. gently caress sound.

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Jun 7, 2023

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

codo27 posted:

Been running the same set of Klipsch powered monitors for the last 7 years on 2 different onboard audio chips with no issues with interference or anything else really. I have them connected via USB

If you're running them off USB then wouldn't they be using a DAC and not the onboard audio?

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Jun 8, 2023

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

sur le web posted:

I just installed and oh my god there's no way to move the taskbar.

is StartAllBack the simplest way to get the taskbar on the left side? that's literally all I want.

Yeah it is

Just reinstalled it and upgraded my license. I like the taskbar in the middle but prefer the older start menu

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Just tried the "Install website as app" feature for Fastmail. This is actually pretty sick

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I'm getting a "pop" through my speakers when audio sources start, and when I do things like scroll across embedded YouTube videos. Experience tells me this is probably the sound device coming out of some sleep state (I ran into this with my Fiio USB DAC). However, I can't find any settings like this in Windows and in the Realtek control panel. Is there some hidden setting to turn off power management for audio devices?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Windows 11 desktop with an MSI B550 Tomahawk with onboard Realtek that an Edifier speaker setup is plugged directly into

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Thanks, I'll give this a go and see if it helps.

Klyith posted:

The longest standing rule is PCs is "if you care about audio, get away from realtek".

Yeah I thought about just running everything off the USB DAC but I kinda hate my Fiio, partially because it's too weak to drive 80 ohm headphones and partially because it had exactly the same kind of popping issue that you could only fix by editing an .ini file to display power management options in the control panel that are otherwise hidden.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Free yourself from caring about the permanency of personal digital possessions

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Sites like cdkeys.com sell keys meant for foreign markets that still work internationally, and their (lack of) inventory reflects changes in how companies handle international sales and licensing. There’s never been an issue with them selling fraudulent keys as far as I know.

G2A is an eBay-like site and its sellers have been guilty of selling keys purchased with stolen cards.

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Sep 22, 2023

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Thanks Ants posted:

Some of the stuff on those sites is offering to sell you access to a PSN or Xbox Live account that has the software already in, which is mad.

Yeah that’s how a lot of Steam sales work since Valve clamped down on gifting games to strangers.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Its because twitch is trash and that’s probably the setup that works

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Klyith posted:

Oh if it's the video that drops frames that makes much more sense.

Yeah, twitch specifically can have serious issues with playback if you have a game up on the other screen. It definitely has to do with twitch and hardware acceleration in the browser, because when I ran into it I didn’t have any plugins affecting things and I went through a similar process of troubleshooting and trying different browser.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Man the iPhone support in the Phone Link app is dogshit. I got it to work with my iPhone 13 after enduring a dozen "unable to connect" errors instantaneously popping up after clicking the pair button but now that I'm trying it with an iPhone 15 I'm having no such luck.

Even when I got it to work with the iPhone 13 it wouldn't support group chats.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I got a Windows 98 machine right next to me whose start menu opens so fast it’s like it predicted your click

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Rinkles posted:

One update made it so the search window wouldn’t show up until 5 seconds after typing

didn't experience, pebcak

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Scrolling the task manager seems fine to me, whether by using the mouse wheel or grabbing the bar and moving it

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

If a million people would only lower their PC power usage by 20% it could eventually offset the carbon cost of a single private jet trip to Epstein Island

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

AlexDeGruven posted:

I would honestly be happier than anything else if Microsoft would just stop putting all of their KB articles behind a redirect so when I click back to look for more search results it actually goes back to my loving search results instead of the same goddamn page I already decided I didn't need.

Is there any reason to do this besides some weird dark pattern thing? Intentionally breaking the back button is something only the worst sites do.