Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009
I, against my better judgment, decided that I should try out this windows 11 thing today. After checking the computer with PC Health Checker (which passed) and windows update informing me that my PC does NOT meet the requirements to upgrade to Windows 11, no idea what button I clicked that showed me this microsoft web page:

Deciding that this is definitely a challenge, I therefore upgraded to windows 11 with the Windows11InstallationAssistant.exe application (which strangely does not know to ask for elevated permissions when it needs to, instead just fails horribly). Unfortunately, there was no challenge. It just upgraded, rebooted and went on with it with very few surprises (not zero, let's not get cocky here, but very few).

The new windows, so far, it's round. Kinda that's all there is to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Fame Douglas posted:

No, overprovisioning is internal to the SSD, you shouldn't have "unallocated" areas at all. Currently, on a fresh UEFI install, Windows creates three partitions: A 100 MB EFI partition, a 565 MB Recovery partition and a data partition filling the rest of the space.

Absolutely never write zeroes to your drive. If you want to delete everything securely, do a ATA Secure Erase from a Linux live USB stick like Parted Magic (or from the Bios, many do have the functionality built-in).

Why should one "never write zeroes" to a SSD or NVME drive? Is there something special with them? No, it's not "secure", as in NSA can't find out the files, but it's easy to just wipe a partition table writing a few MB of zeroes to a drive and then start from scratch. I've never heard of anyone recovering a partition that has been wiped with dd.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Kalman posted:

AMA trying to find an AGP graphics card in TYOOL 2021 to fix my dad’s old rear end CAD machine because he won’t pay to upgrade his CAD software and the software and plotter he has won’t work on Windows newer than 98.

Windows 98 should run in VMware if I remember correctly. Not qemu, and probably not virtual box, but VMware was fine last time I tried (over a decade ago).

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Kalman posted:

Yes, but the plotter will not.

Now that's one picky plotter.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

hooah posted:

You definitely don't sound like a software engineer (and I'm pretty sure this conversation has come up at least once before in this thread). Organizations only have a finite amount of resources to maintain software and build new features. The more fiddly knobs the developers have to maintain, the less they can improve things or modernize the infrastructure of the software.

I can accept the argument of "finite resources" from Gnome. I don't like it and I stopped using Gnome, but I can accept it. It's free software, after all, and if the developer doesn't want to maintain that checkbox ... it is their right.
Microsoft has infinite resources as far as maintaining 3 checkboxes is concerned, that argument does not hold water. At all. They simply wanted to, or had other ideas (they let designers run the show who sacrifice function for form) or just told their users to suck it up and gently caress off. Resources were absolutely never a concern. Not with 3 checkboxes in windows.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

wa27 posted:

It's faster to click. The whole problem is the extra time it takes - not the strain on my finger.

You're holding it wrong.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Vic posted:

You know why you have tabs in browsers and not separate browser windows as a default?

Because it make sense. The first browser I used with tabs was in 2000, based on Gecko, before Firefox even existed. I knew from that moment that I would never go back to a browser that didn't have that feature.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Klyith posted:

Weird, to me a file browser is better if it doesn't devote a bunch of UI space to useless buttons for functions that are easier to do with keyboard shortcuts or right-click options. One of the things I strongly disliked about 11 was that explorer had a fatter, non-hidable toolbar. Which was doubly frustrating with the simplified right-click -- it's just duplicating the same simple options that are already on the UI.

(And that it didn't have tabs. If MS had gotten their rear end together and had tabs as an announced feature from the start, I might still be on windows now!)

Less UI + simple right-click is a sensible design choice though. A file browser is for looking through file folders, it doesn't need to be derek smart's desktop commander.

I personally disagree. I have big monitors and I see absolutely no reason to not have the same thing in 5 different places if one so desires. Sometimes I may click on the toolbar, sometimes I right-click and choose copy, and other times ctrl+c is my friend.

The only wrong option is to remove options. Let people have their buttons if they want to. Yes, one could install derek smart's desktop commander to get the cockpit experience, but a smaller cockpit is not gonna hurt anyone. Sure, add an option to remove stuff for those with 600x480 screens, for "real-estate" reasons. Just don't remove it for everyone.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

AlexDeGruven posted:

Dual booting with separate drives is trivial now, especially if Windows is already installed. You can even leave secure boot on if you're going for a major distro.

I dropped my old Gen3 2tb drive in the spare slot of the new MoBo, booted the Fedora KDE installer ISO (ventoy is loving lovely), and it picked up the Windows EFI stuff without issue or intervention on my part.

Windows bootloader is now an option in the grub menu and it Just works™.

I still have a bunch of software that necessitates windows as my primary, but it's a good setup.

Even with one drive, it's not an issue. Installers see the EFI partition and do not normally format it, just add their own folder in there.
pre:
drwx------ 5 root root 1024 Jul 18 21:00 .
drwx------ 5 root root 1024 Dec 31  1969 ..
drwx------ 2 root root 1024 Jul 18 21:00 Boot
drwx------ 5 root root 2048 Dec 15 19:14 fedora
drwx------ 4 root root 1024 Jan 28  2017 Microsoft
Then grub in EFI mode just picks them up when generating the config file. Just in the bios you need to tell it boot the linux OS so that you can get grub.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

HKR posted:

Recently had a hardware change and decided to do a clean install of windows 11 to go with it. Decided to see if I could get build 22631.3235 so I could tell it I was in the EU market (I'm actually in the US) and get the option to uninstall edge and a bunch of other stuff.

The windows install media creation tool didn't give me the version I wanted, so I ran to uupdump to get it. A half hour later I had an ISO, ran it through rufus, and installed.

On the initial install screen I told windows I resided in Germany, and used English as my primary language and used a US English keyboard layout. Once installed I still couldn't uninstall edge or turn off bing search results, so I turned on "Get latest updates" and ran a windows update and got a couple small patches. Restarted and I was now able to uninstall edge (and a host of other windows apps I don't use and don't want) and uninstall bing search results. I also don't have copilot anymore!

I changed my timezone back to pdt, and seem fine. Thanks EU!

After 5 years, windows will come back with: "I see that you only logged in from the US in the last 5 years, therefore we decided you're in the US now. Here's Bing, Copilot and Edge back. BTW, we made Edge the default browser and you cannot change it (you're welcome). We uninstalled the competition".

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

I managed to miss that the key was still being updated, so that's neat. VLC works great for both playback and ripping now that I have the right files so I'll probably stick with that for now.

It's still amazing that those are the best solutions if you don't want to have to make a loving user account to watch your own movie collection.

:filez:

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

wash bucket posted:

What line of work gets you a Linux workstation on your desk? What distro?

Do you literally develop server software or some such?

I haven't had windows at work for more than a decade before I changed jobs last year and they gave me a windows laptop, whose entire reason to exist is to run their bajillion applications in the tray and serve as the terminal that I use to ssh to the linux VM where I actually do all the work.

I did desktop applications, web applications (so server and client), embedded junk and now I just work on a custom OS for a very specialized appliance.
There was not a single second (nor is there now) where I felt that there was a need for windows. I'd love it if the laptop I have would be linux, even if it would just be used as an SSH terminal. But, IT need their lovely applications to run.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009
Windows and linux can all use the same efi partition just fine. And I think freebsd can too, but it's been a while since I had it installed. They all sit in different folders and don't bother each other.
pre:
/dev/nvme0n1p2                     96M   67M   30M  69% /boot/efi
Of course, it being 100MB you don't want to put your kernel there, but just the bootloader files is more than fine. Plenty of space. You can have multiple EFI partitions, but you definitely do not need to.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Klyith posted:

It is a known thing that windows may wipe stuff from its EFI partition, while doing particular system updates. Also it can change the partition UUID, which may or may not be a problem for another OS depending on setup. Windows considers that space to be something it "owns", it doesn't ask first.

Well, it wasn't known by me (as I have never experienced it, so never googled that). Had that partition for a while now (more than a decade). But, if you say so ... ok. It hasn't changed the UUID either, it always was a weird one:
pre:
UUID=08A9-A4A0          /boot/efi               vfat    umask=0077,shortname=winnt 0 2
I cloned the drive when I got a new one, so basically unchanged.

Klyith posted:

So yeah you can do it if you want but IMO it's asking for trouble. It's 100mb who cares?

I am just thinking that this may be one of those things that may have been true a long time ago (maybe a bug? or different reasons) and people just repeat it nowadays.

Volguus fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Apr 18, 2024

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

cruft posted:

Seconding this take: I also have learned more about Bluetooth than I ever wanted to, and it's awful.

Thirding this: I wrote a Bluetooth driver for FreeRTOS ages past and god drat it is a lovely system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Korean Boomhauer posted:

OAuth3 should use YAML

Out of the pan into the fire.