Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

I guess I'm in luck, I just built a new PC and the TPM is the only thing I'll need to mess with. My wife's older computers on the other hand might be troublesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

What's the verdict so far? I went ahead and changed my group policy so I don't wake up to a nasty surprise of a lovely taskbar and who knows what else no longer working, but I'm curious what else they screwed up.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

WattsvilleBlues posted:

What group policy did you change and what does it do?

Thing that grinds my gears is that you can't click and drag something into an icon in the taskbar, even from folder to folder. Bullshit.

These are the steps I followed-

quote:

Open the Start Menu.
Type gpedit.msc and load the Group Policy Editor once it is displayed in the search results.
Go to Local Computer Policy > Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Windows Update > Windows Update for Business
Double-click on “Select the target feature update version”.
Set the policy to Enabled.
Type 21H1 into the field.
Close the Group Policy Editor.

21H1 is the most current version of Windows 10, and is to be supported through the end of 2022.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Hmm, the Windows Update for Business part isn't there for me. I tried it in another section but it didn't do anything.

It might be pro-only.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

I don't think Smart Home devices are 'innovative, new technology' so much as it is a solution looking for a problem... at the cost of privacy and every 'service' attached to them that wants a monthly fee. I have a bunch of cool tech poo poo but it needs to solve a problem, or the novelty needs to be pointed in an interesting direction. There is literally nothing a 'Smart Home' device does that I wouldn't want to do on a computer, phone, or some other physical interface.

I worked at a company that was doing smart home automation stuff before the iPhone was even a thing. It was all wired ethernet, USB and serial ports back then. Probably a lot more secure that way, but an even bigger pain to install.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

codo27 posted:

Our power grid is loving third world and we had an unexplained outage yesterday. Are surge protectors even worth it? (Jumping to conclusions here)

If you have a circuit breaker as opposed to a fuse box, see if your local electrician knows about whole-house surge protectors, for another added layer of safety.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

Can you setup with a MS account, make a local account, and then nuke the MS account? Even if this is possible, it's real loving dumb.

That's what I did on the new laptop I bought in August at least.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

I keep windows on a separate drive just on the off chance that something does go wrong with it, it doesn't take everything else with it. Saved my bacon earlier this year when I had to reinstall 10 out of nowhere, but didn't effectively lose anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

How rough/smooth is the upgrade from 10 to 11 right now? Obviously I'd have to get StartAllBack because gently caress the new taskbar bullshit, and then I'd have to go and excise copilot. Otherwise though, I've got things like my default Documents folder on a separate hard drive from my windows install and I'm wondering how well it'll preserve some more esoteric settings?