Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I honestly I think that whoever came up with the TPM decision just had their asses completely stuck in corporate world because the vast majority of consumer computers dont come with a tpm module while just about every computer bought for a corp has one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

MS Store already encrypts the content of the installer folder and it leads to the scenario that you cant run mods on it. Not a whole lot of games allow for direct modding now but the next TES not having that would suck incredibly.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Arivia posted:

One of Ars Technica's recent pieces at launch pegged it to being a DoD requirement, in which case Microsoft needed to force it to get system integrators on board. So the hassle/trouble on your own desktop you built yourself is so Microsoft can sell other licenses on other computers to the US military.

The thing is that all (non legacy) DoD systems have been TPM 2.0 compliant for years. The deadline to enable 2.0 on most machines was like a year ago. And the army at least is always a year or two behind on OS releases, so you wont see machines running 11 till probably march 2023.

Also, you dont go into a store and buy a machine for the DoD. You go through a contract site and buy from pre-approved product that meet a minimum requirement. So any machine you've bought for your department/unit from the past like 3 years HAD to be TPM 2.0 compliant (And equipment buys usually happen every 3 years)

I think that the move to force TPM 2.0 on machines is less DoD and more microsoft forcing a minimum standard on other corporate environments.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

They fixed the lovely search issue on secondary monitors in the latest kb. Thats good, now let me put a clock down there you fuckers.