Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

It's really weird they're gating 11 like this, usually the latest Windows will run on any old piece of crap. It might not run well but you can try...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Falcorum posted:

On that note, is the stupid "3D Objects" folder still built into W11 and unremovable unless you do regedit fuckery?

I have no idea why they made this a default part of Windows. Your average person might have Documents, Music, Pictures, etc but not 3D Objects.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

If you install over Windows 10 and use a local account Windows 11 will use the same account, or at least it did for me.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Perplx posted:

Microsoft also said free upgrades from 7 to 10 would on July 29, 2016, yet it still works today.

They also said there would be no Windows 11!

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I ended up going back to Windows 10. I think 11 needs a little time to settle. I had a few issues that I never had in 10, such as occasional crackling audio and stuttering in games.

One thing to be aware of is that it seems like File History backups from 11 can't be restored on 10.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

The only reason to upgrade to 11 right now is if you're tired of looking at 10.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I also had some audio glitches playing music in Windows 11, it's one of the reasons I went back to 10.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Personally I was thrilled to switch to XP because it meant I didn't have to reboot constantly. Things were a little dicey in the beginning because of the new driver model though. I don't know if was Microsoft at fault or the vendors at fault but a lot of companies didn't have drivers ready for the launch.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Whoever was having stuttering when fTPM was enabled, there's a BIOS update coming to fix it but it could be 2-3 months.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

The question should be 'Why should I install Windows 11?' There really isn't a compelling reason right now unless you're on Alder Lake.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I don't know how representative of general trends the Steam hardware survey is, but W11 installs are only growing by less than 1% a month and haven't even cracked 20% of the total so far.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Rinkles posted:

The Win 11 upgrade isn't showing up for a PC I just put together. I'm on Win 10. I did the "health check" to make sure, and it passed everything (so TPM is on).

Have they still not finished rolling it out to every PC?

You don't have to wait, there's an installer that does the same thing.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Yeah it would be kind of unfortunate to get rid of that functionality. If I can't sync my phone and see charge status on my PC then I have one less reason to have any Apple software installed on my PC at all.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Am I the only one that has a much harder time reading the clock in Windows 11, compared to 10?

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

karoshi posted:

Please run the following commands in an elevated command prompt:
- sfc /scannow
- dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth
and reboot. Report back if your forum thread is still broken.

I just disregard search results from Microsoft when trying to fix something because 99.9% of the time this is the suggested fix and there is no further followup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Apple tries to push other products on you as well, they're just slightly less obnoxious about it.