Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot

Windows 11 has been officially announced released! :toot:

Perhaps unsurprisingly, the previous team at Microsoft was full of poo poo when they said "Windows 10 is the last version of Windows." And ever since an alpha build leaked a couple weeks ago, the tech world already knew it was coming before MS' announcement event today.

Windows 11 is a free upgrade for Windows 10 users, so feel free to :f5: until the RTM build comes down the pipe via Windows Update.

What's new in Windows 11?

Good question! There are a lot of things to be cautiously excited about with Microsoft's latest entry in its operating system line. Windows has gotten a fresh coat of paint to reinforce Fluent design ideology. Have a gander at that translucency :eyepop: it's the Aero revolution we've been waiting for. There is an all new Start Menu (for the third time) and both it and your pinned taskbar icons have moved to the center of the taskbar to create the OSX ripoff dock of your dreams!

Windows 10's Live Tiles have been replaced with a new Widgets panel that flies out to show you news, weather, and more at a glance!

After many years completely unchanged, Microsoft has now introduced Snap Layouts which allow you to snap programs and apps to different parts of the screen in all different configurations beyond your typical "left-right" alignment of yore.

And in case you were feeling really nostalgic for MSN Messenger lately, they've gone ahead and integrated Microsoft Teams into the OS to add yet another goofy rear end messenging app to your already disorganized, convoluted workflow. But hey, at least it comes at the cost of an accelerated death of Skype, which is something we can all smile about.

Here's something exciting: Native Android apps now run on Windows and can be installed from the Amazon Appstore........wait, what the gently caress? You'll probably be able to sideload them and avoid having to touch Amazon poop, but you can finally dump BlueStacks and run your favorite apps right on your computer. This is arguably one of the biggest killer features of Win11.

There's a ton more poo poo they announced, and there's no way I can possibly fit it all in here. So in lieu of that, just check out The Verge's coverage or just loving Google "Windows 11" and your screen will be plastered with all kinds of information. The future is here!

What are the system requirements?

Microsoft has finally pulled Windows out of the metaphorical stone age and has dropped support for 32-bit CPUs. This is probably one of the biggest changes under the hood, along with the fact that your motherboard must support TPM 2.0* in order to run Windows 11. If you built a computer in the last 7-8 years, you're probably good to go! Otherwise, you'll have to purchase a dedicated TPM module or upgrade your gear. Beyond that, the officially published specifications are:

CPU: 1GHz or faster, with 2 or more cores on a 64-bit processor or SoC
RAM: 4GB minimum
Storage: 64GB or larger storage device (you will likely need more for Windows Update)
Mobo: UEFI, Secure Boot capable, and must support TPM 2.0*
GPU: DirectX 12 or later compatible with WDDM 2.0 driver

* - Turns out TPM 2.0 might not be required after all, so don't rush out and buy a TPM module!! TPM 1.2 is supported, with a warning shown to any user whose machine doesn't support 2.0: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/compatibility/windows-11/ (thanks, MikusR)

So what's the catch? What have they removed?

Microsoft has deprecated a bunch of poo poo in Win11. Some of it is good, some of it is bad. Cortana will no longer be included in the OOBE or pinned to the taskbar, which will save everyone the hassle of having to make it go away on a fresh install. Internet Explorer will be disabled by default on new installs. Live Tiles are no longer available in the Start Menu, named groups and folders of apps are no longer supported, and the Start Menu is no longer resizable. The taskbar can only be aligned to the bottom of the screen (RIP to side taskbar users. I'm sorry for your loss).

3D Viewer, OneNote, Paint3D, and Skype are now deprecated and will not be installed by default (this already happened to Win10 with one of the recent major feature updates and shouldn't be a shock to anyone.) Tablet Mode is gone as tablet layouts have been integrated into the OS, and the Snipping Tool has been replaced by the Snip & Sketch app. You should have installed ShareX and stopped using the Snipping Tool ages ago.

Anyway, let's get hype as gently caress for a new OS! Can't wait to sit outside Best Buy for the midnight release!!!!!!!!!!!

thread title history
Windows 11: the newest last version of Windows
Windows 11: you can go gently caress yourself if you want that feature
Windows 11: WORKS GREAT THANK YOU
Windows 11: Good lord, what is that company doing to its OS

barnold fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Dec 18, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
On TPM 2.0 and its requirement for Windows 11:

Klyith posted:

For now I would add a note to the top of the OP that people should not go buy stuff right now -- TPM modules, new CPUs, any new hardware -- on the basis of the official "system requirements".

If the Health Check app says your PC does not meet the requirements for Windows 11, don't panic. Chill and wait for clarity.

• Your PC probably has TPM already, you just need to figure out the right BIOS settings to enable it.
• The list of supported CPUs on Microsoft's site is stupidly small, older CPUs will definitely work.
• There will probably be methods to install Win11 on "unsupported" systems. Example

You can download the Windows 11 Health Check to check your PC's compatibility here: https://aka.ms/GetPCHealthCheckApp

:siren: Depending on your CPU manufacturer, TPM may be referred to as Intel PTT / Platform Trust Technology or AMD fTPM in your BIOS :siren:

If you're an Intel toucher and can't find the TPM settings, this difference in nomenclature may be why!

I hate the new taskbar/Start Menu/system tray! How do I go back??

There is no option built into Windows that allows you to swap to the old UI elements. Luckily, StartAllBack has you covered. From the same team that built StartIsBack for Win8/10, StartAllBack allows you to choose what flavor of Windows UI you'd prefer to use on your shiny new Win11 system.

It has a 30-day trial, and costs $4.99 for a single-user license. As someone who used StartIsBack religiously for years, I can emphatically state that it's worth the cost of a Big Mac. Check it out for yourself here: https://www.startallback.com/

barnold fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Jan 7, 2022

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

Mecca-Benghazi posted:

I know I was the only top aligned taskbar person out there but still :smith:

My work computer is set up to have the taskbar on top, but that's because our stupid rear end IT department provisioned so many dumb apps that pop up little toast notifications that are hard-coded to show up at the bottom of the screen that it made it absolutely impossible to keep track of stuff over the course of the day because the taskbar would invariably be hidden 60% of the time

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

Klyith posted:

For now I would add a note to the top of the OP that people should not go buy stuff right now -- TPM modules, new CPUs, any new hardware -- on the basis of the official "system requirements".

If the Health Check app says your PC does not meet the requirements for Windows 11, don't panic. Chill and wait for clarity.

• Your PC probably has TPM already, you just need to figure out the right BIOS settings to enable it.
• The list of supported CPUs on Microsoft's site is stupidly small, older CPUs will definitely work.
• There will probably be methods to install Win11 on "unsupported" systems. Example

Good call. I've made the note about TPM a little clearer in the OP and added this post as the first quote in the FAQ area. Thanks!

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

Klyith posted:

looks like I'll be considering[...]becoming one of the people using some program that hacks the OS into using old UI

one of us! one of us! one of us!

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

I've enabled my AMD fTPM and it does show up in Windows as 2.0, but I still don't pass the PC Health check. I think it's because my system has the CSM compatibility on and isn't booting in UEFI mode. But if I toggle UEFI Only in my BIOS, my PC doesn't boot to Windows and only boots back into the BIOS. I'm guessing I hosed this up and installed Windows in non-UEFI mode back when I built this rig so the machine doesn't know where the UEFI partition is but I don't really know how to fix it. Any ideas?

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Isn't there only a tiny list of officially compatible CPUs right now? That might be why. My PC apparently isn't compatible either, but it looks like you can bypass that if you opt into the insider dev channel when the first insider build is released.

after rooting around on MS' support website, the list I'm seeing that shows "officially supported CPUs" is exclusively for OEMs who are seeking to build Windows 11-ready branded machines, not consumer end users.

this seems to be the page everyone is referencing but it's from the "Windows Hardware Developer" support website: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/design/minimum/windows-processor-requirements. a little more snooping around the rest of the articles on that website pretty clearly indicates that these are guidelines for OEMs but maybe I'm missing something

edit: and either way, my processor (AMD Ryzen 7 3700X) is included in the list of compatible CPUs anyway, so it definitely can't be that

barnold fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Jun 25, 2021

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

:thanks:

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

if your poo poo doesn't support TPM 2.0 then you have to install x86 Windows XP Starter Edition. i'm sorry i don't make the rules

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

Just enrolled my laptop in the Dev channel. Let's do this thing :toot:

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

Settings menu now looks good. I like the new icons and the colors in File Explorer. Center taskbar is dumb. Taskbar being even bigger than the non-small taskbar in Win10 is loving outrageous. Eventually the taskbar is going to take up half of the bottom of your screen and we're going to struggle to fit more than 5 or 6 lines of text in what few pixels constitute "the desktop" in the future I guess. Not being able to toggle on labels for open programs is insanely stupid and something I'm hoping they fix early on. Right now your taskbar customizations are limited to "align center" or "align left" and that's basically it.

Start Menu sucks, having "All Apps" be a tiny rear end button in the top right corner is totally useless for people who frequently use a variety of different apps, and having them all pinned to the Start Menu/Taskbar/some combination of both just feels incredibly ugly. The Widgets panel is completely pointless - let us pin them to the desktop or fuckin' get rid of the thing. I find it hard to believe that people are using widgets frequently enough to give them their own dedicated flyout menu when they obviously weren't being used enough to even justify having Live Tiles in the Start Menu in the first place, somewhere where they might actually be seen.

Performance-wise it runs just fine, I had no issues with programs or apps running once the preview build had been installed. I was using Classic Shell before and though it popped up its "We need to configure Classic Shell for your new operating system" message, it doesn't work at all on Win11 right now so we're stuck with the stock one. Other than that, everything seems to work fine, though I haven't exactly done much other than light web browsing and looking around in the menus.

barnold fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Jun 28, 2021

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

If you want to try Win11 but don't want to end up on the "Skip Ahead" branch by staying in the Dev channel, swap to the Dev channel for now, then once you've installed Windows 11, switch to Release Preview or unenroll from the Insider program. You'll still get updates as usual but when the RTM build comes out, it will install it on its own and you'll be back on the "official" track.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

codo27 posted:

Most importantly, you can retain expanded taskbar icons right? No ridiculous insane grouping as has been the out-of-box standard since 8? God I hate that

Nope, as of right now you are stuck with vague taskbar icon-only grouping, because gently caress you if you have more than one of the same program open and want to click the right one at a glance without having to go into that goofy hover menu lol

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

codo27 posted:

Started downloading the insider preview yesterday, began installing. Got to 24% or something and I got sidetracked and had to leave. Open up the laptop again, whole process has reset to downloading 0%. Off to a great start here.

Interrupting a new feature update/insider build by putting the computer in sleep mode has always restarted the download, since at least the Windows 10 Technical Preview. It's annoying but that's how Windows Update works.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

back in the day i used derek smart's desktop commander for all my top of the line computer navigational needs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tIn1_9YvGds

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

good news for third party UXtheme touchers: cleodesktop, arguably one of the most prolific and best theme makers, just released their first theme for the Windows 11 insider build, so I'd say it's a pretty safe bet that not much has changed under the hood (yet anyway, still a long way to go to RTM) and it should hopefully be trivial to make the more popular skins/mods work on Win11

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

new Win11 insider builds coming out soon. if you joined the Dev channel to get the first build and want to avoid the buggy poo poo that's coming, now would be a good time to go in and change to the Beta channel

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

I don't know if this was in before or whether I just noticed it with the latest cumulative update, but the cut/copy/paste options are no longer text buttons in the right click menu, and instead they appear as icons at the top of the context menu :catbert:

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

Quaint Quail Quilt posted:

Gross, but on the other hand, if you are not using win (x,c,v) then maybe you deserve big "fisher price" buttons

I only noticed it because I was extracting a .zip via the 7-zip commands in the context menu, which are also hidden by default now unless you click "show more". not my favorite change, but then again maybe I'm not so thrilled with most every program I've ever installed adding its own options to the context menu resulting in a panel about as tall as a twin tower. I know there's software that lets you customize the context menu but maybe this will put an end to random garbage right click options

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

it's still pretty early but it feels like despite Microsoft's ceaseless effort to prevent having another WinXP situation, the complete failure to offer anything compelling with Win11 coupled with Win10's overwhelming market share means that we're going to be seeing a lot of people holding onto Win10 for a very VERY long time

at least, until Win12 gets previewed anyway

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

Icept posted:

Aren't they just going to slip it into the biannual big update schedule?

they will, but I bet we'll see a bunch of "here's how to hack up your registry or whatever to make sure you NEVER get the Win11 update forced on you" articles

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

i like the colorful new folder icons in Win11 :shrug:

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

Windows 11 - it'd be nice if it didn't do stupid stuff

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

hoping for the renaissance of alternative shells. litestep, come to butthead.....

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

TempleOS only. God said anything more than 640x480@16 is a sin :eng101:

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

lol not that I have plans to upgrade right away but in the Windows Update panel in Win10's Settings, it tells me I am missing some requirements for Win11 and directs me to the PC Health app.......and the PC Health app shows green all across the board and that I'm eligible to upgrade. this is all very cool and good

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

Rusty posted:

It did that to me too, and then at some point it stopped doing that like an hour later.

the good news is that I booted into the BIOS just to double-check everything and while everything related to TPM/UEFI/Secure Boot was set properly.....I discovered that somehow my RAM configuration reset itself and my four sticks of DDR4-3200 were instead running at 2666, so uh, thanks Microsoft for having me go into my BIOS I guess :toot:

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

codo27 posted:

I cant imagine how windows itself could have changed your RAM speed

i....didn't blame Windows for changing my RAM speed? i said going into my BIOS to check that AMD fTPM was enabled is what caused me to notice the RAM configuration lol

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

I loved live tiles too, then I realized all I really used them for was traffic and weather at-a-glance, and the little taskbar bug serves that same purpose while making the weather even more accessible than before. Win-win situation

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

Klyith posted:

Hey barnold, can you put the 2 standard names for on-chip TPM in mobo bios (Intel PTT / Platform Trust Technology and AMD fTPM) in the OP or that 2nd post? The way that the intel version is named something totally different than TPM confuses a lot of people.

done!

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

redeyes posted:

Looks like no Google Play services means bad bad things. I was looking forward to the Google apps at the very least.. Gmail, etc. Not happening. On the other hand maybe I can use Poweramp on Windows now. That could be fun.

curious if sideloading Account Manager -> Services Framework -> Play Services -> Play Store will get you the Google stuff as it would on a Fire tablet. if not, I'm sure the XDA nerds will have a field day trying to figure out a way to successfully flash gapps to the WSA VM

then obviously next step is to unlock the bootloader and then install cyanogenmod or whatever they're calling it these days. Lineage? :getin:

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

if only we could go back to those halcyon days when operating systems were cool and good and had taskbars you could move around at launch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLXKOXBZegs

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

for extra special taskbar tomfoolery, I really love 7+ Taskbar Tweaker, and the most recent version added Win11 support. I'm not sure how functional all the features are but as someone who prefers no padding on their system tray icons as well as hiding the "show desktop" button, 7+TT has been a mainstay on my computers for almost a decade

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

well last night I went and did it, primary machine now runs Win11. had some initial hang-ups due to some UI fuckery that I hadn't fully uninstalled before the upgrade, but nuking all of that and replacing it with StartAllBack has been pretty solid so far :toot:

shouts out to the devs for throwing a bone to StartIsBack users, it recognized my license key immediately after installing and offered a discounted upgrade to StartAllBack. I'd have happily paid full price honestly

barnold fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Nov 15, 2021

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

site posted:

anybody else having the "app is open" bar on taskbar icons disappear randomly on the newest version of StartAllBack?

App indicators have been a small nagging issue on StartIsBack (and therefore likely StartAllBack too) for at least as long as I can think of - when I was using it on Win10, it would frequently show the little glowing "app open" indicator under several programs at once, even if all of them were minimized. It must be some sort of weird Windows thing

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

please do not just start deleting system .exes from your computer

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

yeah those post-SP1 Win7 days were loving dire. unless you made special slipstreamed install media, you knew you were in it for the long haul as soon as you installed the drivers and clicked "Check for updates" for the first time

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

redeyes posted:

Not really actually, not at all.

definitely still a thing, at least for my ASRock board. it'll install the Nvidia drivers automatically though, i'll take it

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

can you boot into the recovery console and run bootrec.exe /FixMBR?

if you can't get into the recovery options at all you're going to need installation media to fix it anyway, might as well just make a USB to have on hand

barnold fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Dec 12, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

I added a section about StartAllBack to the post under the OP for easy reference. Hopefully it doesn't seem to shill-y as it's pretty fuckin' good software and easily worth the $5 (speaking as someone who used SIB religiously long before Win11). If there are any other real important Win11 tidbits you folks think are useful in there, let me know. So far feels like not much other than the TPM stuff