Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

No side task bar, shieeet.. hopefully someone makes a program to fix that ASAP. They fixed win8's start menu etc. so why not the taskbar. Maybe displafusion will do it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Maybe Intel sent MS a list of CPU's they are allowed to support in order to sell more new CPU's? :tinfoil:

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Maybe Windows 12 will be good again?

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Well the theme has been for a long time already to waste as much space on screen as humanly possible. So I guess MS wanting to waste even more space than they already waste is... expected.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Well so I'm going to buy a 12700K and it needs Windows 11 for juggling the p&e cores. Startallback seems to repair all the fuckery MS has done, so I'm good to upgrade. Hopefully. I run a Windows 10 enterprise and I have actually no idea if it is possible to upgrade that to Windows 11. I bought the key for $5 years and years ago from ebay and it has worked fine since.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

TOOT BOOT posted:

The question should be 'Why should I install Windows 11?' There really isn't a compelling reason right now unless you're on Alder Lake.

I'm on 12700K and Win10 seems to be just fine. Games run 50% faster than with my 8700K so why upgrade the os? :shrug:

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

The decision in Windows 11 to treat the Start menu and taskbar as some sort of sacred object that users can't really customize is among the more bizarre choices they made for 11. I don't understand it at all, but the answer is probably profits and

I got a 42" OLED and moved to 11. I had taskbar on left for over a decade, but now with a 42" panel it was too much left. I wanted taskbar to be at the center of the screen, so I had to upgrade to 11. Now if the taskbar was dock instead. Or possible to move it on top instead.. hmm. Start menu is ok with the folders.

One weird thing is that the upgrade installed a ton of RGB software. GALAX, PATRIOT etc. What was that poo poo all about?

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

How do I uninstall drivers without reinstalling windows from 0?

I have some old as hell drivers which block using memory integrity. I don't think I have related apps installed anymore which used those.

Any pro tips on driver uninstallation?

Edit: ."inf" drivers are still installed properly. You can uninstall them with elevated terminal:

pnputil /delete-driver oemXXX.inf /uninstall

The .sys files are leftovers from improper uninstallations or something like that. Windows loads them anyways if it finds them from windows/drivers. With Autoruns software you can disable loading of them from the Drivers tab.

In theory. The INF part worked but Autoruns didn't work, yet.

Edit2: updated autoruns and deleted the driver entries instead of just untucking the checkbox. Now memory isolation is finally enabled, and first reboot resulted in a bluescreen.

With stop error 0x000021a. Is it possible to disable memory isolation somehow? Hmm maybe from safe mode.

Edit: a reboot seemed to automatically disable it, and now I'm back to windows. What the gently caress is still causing problems!

Does windows create some kind of crash dump I could analyze? To figure out what is causing the BSOD with memory isolation. Thanks.

Ihmemies fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Sep 26, 2022

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Well. I disabled loading of the drivers windows nagged about, but it didn't help. I started disabling some other poo poo too, many CD/DVD era drivers, I had powerstrip 3 installed etc, jesus. Lots of poo poo from 200X. Well Now it finally booted up, must have been one of those 15+ year old drivers.

Still some issues to work around though. Whatever the gently caress that is.

Edit:

NAL Nal Service : Intel(R) Network Adapter Diagnostic Driver (Verified) Intel(R) INTELND1617 C:\WINDOWS\system32\Drivers\iqvw64e.sys Fri Apr 7 14:23:15 2017

Ihmemies fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Sep 26, 2022

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Zerot posted:

Why don't you want to reinstall Windows? If you have this much garbage floating around your system it's probably going to be easier to backup your files and reinstall, and you'll most likely have a more performant computer in the end.

How could I measure the performance? It doesn't seem to be worth the effort.

I am too lazy to reinstall.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Kalman posted:

Too lazy to reinstall, but not too lazy to gently caress around with drivers that are old enough to drink?

Well I hosed around and I will bet it took significantly less time than setup a PC from zero.

That iqvw was some old intel driver. I had to temporarily remove hyper-v virtual switch to uninstall the driver package from 2017.. yes.. probably used by my old motherboard.

Now it is giving crap from ene.sys. Most likely it is some RGB crap from Asus Aura installation, which was complete utter garbage. It isn't listed in autoruns nor in oem inf list, so I have to figure out how to uninstall it. https://zer0-day.pw/2020-06/asus-aura-sync-stack-based-buffer-overflow/

I am sure the bad drivers will stop appearing at some point.

It is a good thing windows 11 finally informed me that I should turn memory isolation on.

Edit: seems you can show devices by driver in Device Management, and uninstall them easily from there too. Welp, good to know!

Ihmemies fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Sep 26, 2022

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Windows installation doesn't take time. Everything else takes time.

Anyways, ene.sys was used by asus armory crate it seems. I tried it years ago but it sucked so I uninstalled it G.skill had provided a batch file for really uninstalling it (since the ASUS uninstaller) doesn't really work.

So. https://www.gskill.us/forum/forum/p...uninstall-guide

Now finally it got removed too. Maybe I'm now finished and can resume using the PC, and from now on windows warns me about poo poo drivers.

Edit: no. Now it's mslo64.sys. How many poo poo drivers is it possible to have on one PC!

Ihmemies fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Sep 26, 2022

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Msio64.sys was more Asus aura/crate garbage. Unbelievable how much poo poo and kernel exploits that one single package contained. Yes. Asus I hate you.

FINALLY I seem to be out of poo poo drivers to uninstall/disable/get rid of.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Last time I made a clean install was for 64bit windows vista, when moving on from 32bit xp. That was back in the day.

I had installed all the bad drivers during years of use. The drivers are not in use anymore. Now I completely understand why ms implemented memory isolation.

The amount of garbage drivers manufacturers push out is unbelievable.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

I determined that my Windows install is now over 15 years old.

Anyways, I have local Finnish gaming magazine called "Pelit" from year 1992-> in my shelf.

So 30 full volumes (?).

repiv posted:

Riot did something similar with their Vanguard anti-cheat initially (blocklisting drivers known to have goatse sized kernel backdoors) and everyone just got mad at them for breaking their RGB software lol

Microsoft baking that into Windows is a great move, manufacturers will have an incentive to actually get their poo poo together

Seems the core isolation feature is from 2018. Windows 10 didn't really nag about it so I didn't know about it. Good that Windows 11 notified I should turn it on.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

I have been delaying the major upgrades for a year to let other people iron out the file deletion bugs. So far it has seemed to work fine. The driver issue was fixable "easily enough" after digging a bit. I didn't even know windows loads a ton of legacy usb/rgb/whatever drivers which were still hanging around after uninstalling software ages ago. Maybe I can get this windows install to 20 years :thunk:

I need a new backup software though. Something which just backups, does nothing else. I used Acronis true image, but it had bad drivers with no update available to them (tib.sys). Any suggestions?

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

So. Apparently my HP external dvd drive has a conflict with my phone? My phone is not connected but some phone has been connected at some point, and I guess windows doesn't like it?

Problem: my external dvd doesn't work. Devmgmt says a yellow triangle next to the drive and thisin event log:

code:
Device settings for USBSTOR\CdRom&Ven_hp&Prod_CDDVDW_GP70N&Rev_RR02\K09M4JC0948_________&0 
were not migrated from previous OS installation due to partial or ambiguous device match.

Last Device Instance Id: USBSTOR\CdRom&Ven_OnePlus&Prod_Device_Driver&Rev_0318\7&24376964&0&d417a074&0
Class Guid: {4d36e965-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}
Location Path: 
Migration Rank: 0xF000FC000000F130
Present: false

Device USBSTOR\CdRom&Ven_hp&Prod_CDDVDW_GP70N&Rev_RR02\K09M4JC0948_________&0 was configured.

Driver Name: cdrom.inf
Class Guid: {4d36e965-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}
Driver Date: 06/21/2006
Driver Version: 10.0.22621.1
Driver Provider: Microsoft
Driver Section: cdrom_install
Driver Rank: 0xFF0006
Matching Device Id: GenCdRom
Outranked Drivers: cdrom.inf:GenCdRom:00FF2002
Device Updated: false
Parent Device: USB\VID_0E8D&PID_1887\K09M4JC0948____
Can I delete that previous ONEPLUS device instance somehow from somewhere and try again?

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/drivers/install/device-instance-ids

At least I understood it so that some oneplus phone has identified itself as an HP CDROM drive? :v: If it's supposed to be "unique id.."

Edit: I look at registry and there's a bunch of those devices with the same GUID.. weird. Maybe I'll just return this.

Ihmemies fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Oct 21, 2022

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

How do you edit logged in users' path in windows 11? Edit system enviroment variables prompts me for an admin password. Won't let me continue otherwise.

It displays me only user variables for the admin account.

How can I edit the path for my regular user account?

echo %path% in terminal shows a bunch of poo poo already in path, how do I add in more folders?

Edit: LEGACY control panel -> user accounts -> change *my* enviroment variables. Great design again there Microsoft, thanks.

Ihmemies fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Nov 8, 2022

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

So, my file explorer has tabs now.

Is there some "confirm to close" option hidden somewhere so I won't accidentally close 7 tabs at the same time?

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Rinkles posted:

Windows security is telling me that "Memory Integrity cannot be turned on" because of some driver issues. Is that something I should try to address, or is it not very important/something MS will likely fix themselves down the line?

I’d try to turn it on. I spent a day unregistering 15 year old .sys drivers and uninstalling old programs with various tools to get it working. My os is an old upgraded vista installation.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Jesus Christ son, please format your computer. Windows Vista came out 16 years ago. God knows what random poo poo has survived the upgrades.

A ton of old drivers at least. Pc seems to work, too much effort to do a clean install now.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Did anyone experience the defender deleting all start menu shortcuts bug today?

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

I have my LG C2 always on HDR mode and it works fine. Taskbar buttons in the center are nice with 42" screen. Corners and edges are so far away. I like rounded corners. Dark mode is better than in 10 I think. Overall a quite solid upgrade over 10 with many good changes.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Maybe just don’t search with Google? Use DuckDuckGo, Chatgpt and university library’s search. I’ve done that for a year and don’t miss google at all.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Does anyone have Local Security Authority turned off for reason X today? Maybe another hosed up Windows Defender update?

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

So the only thing is to wait for MS to unfuck their updates.. again.. I guess :shrug:

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

LSA fix seems have arrived. It was replaced in GUI with kernel-mode hardware-enforced stack protection.

Would Google's garbage Drive software be faulty so that with kernel-mode hardware-enforced stack protection it stops working? My drive folder does not have the small drive icon anymore, and my H (google drive) "disk" is missing from Explorer. Google Drive client doesn't say that anything is wrong.

Maybe I should just move on to OneDrive, iCloud, Nextcloud, Jottacloud or something else. Google's software breaks more and more as time goes on, maybe it is time to ditch the Google drive too now, after I've just recently ditched Android based phones.

Edit: seems my office sub includes 1,1TB of onedrive space, so might as well move my data over to onedrive and discontinue my google drive plan.

Ihmemies fucked around with this message at 11:51 on Apr 20, 2023

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Anyone know of an app that can run through your computer and spit back a list of which folders have got the most crap in them? I only need local drives.

Scanner http://www.steffengerlach.de/freeware/

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Tiny Timbs posted:

Just tried the "Install website as app" feature for Fastmail. This is actually pretty sick

I do that with Vivaldi and YT Music. Better than nothing!

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Something is force toggling DND mode on. If I disable DND mode, it gets retoggled to on automatically, loving up notifications. How do I prevent anything from adjusting DND settings? I don't want it to EVER be on.

E: wtf:

Ihmemies fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Aug 5, 2023

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

So apparently now it should be finally possible to uninstall Edge and do some other adjustments EU forced upon Microsoft.

My region has been $SOMETHING since 2007. Maybe UK, maybe US, maybe Finland. It currently is US.

https://www.xda-developers.com/enable-eea-restricted-features-on-windows-10-11/

I am at a loss on how to do it. I checked with vivetool and the feature IDs: 43699941 and 44353396 were already enabled. I then looked at the IntegratedServicesRegionPolicySet.json and tried to change the let uninstall edge defaultState from disabled to enabled. It did not help. I tried adding US to a enabled region and it did not help. I tried changing the user's region to FInland.

I sure as gently caress am not resetting the windows installation just because of this. This good install has served for 17 years and I want to see how far I can get.

Is there some bombproof way (without resetting Windows) of changing the grayed out "Uninstall" option with edge to a working one at this stage?

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Seems that ungrouping taskbar icons came back to Win11 at some stage. Finally. I have a 4K monitor and a wide rear end taskbar, it is a million times easier to switch between tasks with just one click.

Now if I figured out how to convince Windows to believe I live in Finland and let me apply the EU mandated changes like uninstalling Edge, without reinstalling Windows. I wish Micorosft just bought those changes for everyone instead of being a petty piece of poo poo they are.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Cross-Section posted:

It's so bad that I've just gone back to having a Gmail tab open in Firefox while using my PC. The Mail app was perfectly functional too :sigh:

Does Gmail install as an app? With Vivaldi I can right click some tabs like Yotube Music or Fastmail and it installs a desktop like app which seem to work just fine.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

repiv posted:

there's straight up no official way to watch 4K blurays on a newer PC because the only sanctioned implementation required intel SGX and intel stopped putting that on their newer processors, and AMD never had it in the first place

At this stage it would be easier to store the bought disc on shelf and :filez: a remux off the Internet.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Finally unfucked video player exists: MPC-HC with MPCVR:

https://github.com/clsid2/mpc-hc/releases
https://github.com/clsid2/MPCVideoRenderer/releases

Can uninstall madVR and other non-functioning garbage.

With MPC-HC + MPCVR HDR playback works normally. It did not work before really at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

HKR posted:

wait, who's developing MPC-HC? I thought the dev disappeared and MPC-BE is the go to replacement now

Still stoked that I can say gently caress you to MadVR

Clsid2. I don’t really need features, except HDR playback simply refused to work with my LG C2 OLED on windows 11. Now HDR finally works well even in a windowed video player. Apparently some Russian guy programmed a new video renderer and clsid2 made a MPC-HC compatible fork of it.

HalloKitty posted:

I've been using this build of mpc-hc for years, and the renderer has been around for a while. It's not new, but it is nice.

Mostly I did not know about it then. HDR has been a massive pain in many things, but finally it works well enough on my pc with photos, movies and games.

I wonder if there are any HDR photo viewers except browsers?

Ihmemies fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Apr 23, 2024