Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Falcon2001 posted:

I'm glad I'm not the PR team, but it's not like there's any problem for the rest of us waiting a few weeks for MSFT to get their messaging straight.
Why should anyone give Microsoft the benefit of the doubt? There's really no reason why they couldn't have gotten their message straight and ready to go on the 23th.

If TPM is a requirement for new security features, then instead of Panos Panay crying over the new lovely Start menu, have him present those security features. Demonstrate how Win11 might actually improve upon Win10. And then follow that up afterwards with some simple video instructions with "Hey, your hardware probably already supports TPM. Here's how you enable it". Competent messaging really isn't hard. Microsoft just made the choice to not give a poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

repiv posted:

Cynical answer: they're aiming to make TPM ubiquitous so they can eventually start mandating it for DRM systems
Yeah, same. I'm not looking forward to whatever DRM poo poo they're planning.

I feel like if the TPM requirement was actually about security then it would have been part of the sales pitch from the start. With the way things like cryptowares have been in the news lately, making some vague promises about better security would have been an easy to way to get clueless managers to yell "We need to upgrade to Win11!" at their hapless IT crew.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Zeta Acosta posted:

i have a old xeon 1246 and a h81m-e33. no windows 11 for me?
Unless there has been an update on this, the big sticking point seems to be that Win11 uses virtualization-based security and hypervisor-protected code integrity. Those features need something called "mode based execution control". The first CPU's to implement this were AMD's Zen 2 and Intel's 7th gen.
On older CPUs those security features should still work. But without the native hardware support in the CPU Windows will have to work with a software emulation of it, which will cause your performance to be poo poo.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

SuddenlyAri posted:

I don't have any old PCs I would attempt to run Win11 on but so far i'm digging it better than Win10

What do you like about it?
If you were to convince an average pc user to switch over from Win10, what would be your pitch be?

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

I totally believe that some people like. How much feature regression affects you, and how much 'shiny and new' entices you is frequently a function of how much you ask the OS to do. Most end users could probably be fine on ChromeOS, and for those people, Windows 11 will appear to be an improvement...but they should just be on ChromeOS
Perhaps I should have made it clear that I wasn't going for a gotcha, or any of that nonsense to SuddenlyAri. It was an honest question.

I genuinly want them to post what they like about Windows 11. It can be interesting to hear something positive about Win11 that's "real" and not some dumb crap from a tech-journalist

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Arivia posted:

Chrome runs its own antivirus? What?
Yup. It goes by "cleanup". chrome://settings/cleanup. It's made by ESET, I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Combat Pretzel posted:

Every power user developing an aneurism every goddamn time Microsoft messes with the File Explorer, making it dumber to use every time. Apparently there was a Qualcomm-Windows-whatever event recently, where they ostensibly showed a future version of Windows running in background, and the Explorer in there had even less UI. :catstare:

https://twitter.com/techosarusrex/status/1716908716556197969?s=46

Something from David Plummer's book stuck with me. Some designers of Win95 were strongly against the inclusion of Task Manager because they felt it was contrary to their mission of "simplifying the PC experience".
I guess those guys are running the show at Microsoft now.