Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

TOOT BOOT posted:

It's really weird they're gating 11 like this, usually the latest Windows will run on any old piece of crap. It might not run well but you can try...

I'm also partially convinced this has to do with the general trend that every software or hardware company wants to be Apple, no matter how miserable the result is. And Apple gets to do strict hardware lockouts for OS releases, so...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

corgski posted:

Everyone I've seen claiming that media installs won't enforce hardware requirements refers back to the Verge article, I think it's just a hopeful rumor. And a relative increase in risk also doesn't mean poo poo unless you know the absolute risk, which for kernel mode crashes I am assuming is pretty drat low already.

Given that Verge article said their supported configurations were 99.8% stable, wouldn't that mean a ~50% more crashprone setup would be ~99.7% stable?

that seems like a borderline statistical error difference or I'm misreading it

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2021/08/microsoft-may-withhold-security-updates-from-unsupported-windows-11-pcs/#p3 posted:

The company hasn't out and out refused to offer updates for PCs that don't meet the official requirements, but Microsoft told the Verge that old PCs running Windows 11 wouldn't be "entitled" to Windows Updates, including security and driver updates. Assuming Windows 11 receives major updates once every six months or so, as Windows 10 does, those releases may also need to be installed manually on unsupported computers.

you know what's a great idea? Denying security updates. -_-

I mean, they've done it before, a friend of mine tried installing Win7 before it was discontinued on a newer machine and was denied updates due to the CPU being too new to make him upgrade. (He uh, didn't. For a while. *facepalm* all around.)

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

CaptainSarcastic posted:

One thing that I can say about desktop Linux versus Windows or Mac OS is that it is the one that has most dramatically and consistently improved. Most of the old pain points of desktop Linux have been gone for years at this point, and it is functionally equivalent to the other operating systems. Well, at least as far as current KDE is concerned - I haven't run xfce in a long time, and haven't run Gnome in forever, so I can't speak to other desktop environments with any authority.

XFCE has basically been 95% the same the entire time I've used it since 2008, albeit with some sanding off of edges. That's both its strength and its weakness. They seem like they're basically strained to the max keeping up with toolkit changes and trying to get over to Wayland (newer Linux backend for GUI rendering), anyway.

KDE is pretty good and is where I'll migrate if I have to switch to Wayland before XFCE is ready for Wayland. I've never been able to get GNOME 3 and using it has always been miserable for me. I don't click with Mac OS X in the exact same way. :shrug: It's just a different paradigm that doesn't work for me at all.