Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Flipperwaldt posted:

I don't remember what the alternatives were, but this is one of the expressions that Microsoft thinks are important to change between US, UK and international English OS language settings. It might well say "Ok" or "Understood" or loving "Let's go" in one of the others or something like that. I wish I made a screenshot.

Should just use this emote instead of saying "Let's go." :letsgo:

In other news I had copilot just show up, seemingly unbidden, on the side of my display this morning. It's possible I hit a key combination by accident that activated it, but it's persisting even after disabling copilot in GPO.

Love how "Just kidding. You're great!" is a suggested response.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Dariusz2k posted:

This pretty much sums up my experience with Windows 11:

That's on a fresh reboot too.

My system has been up for 6 days.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Korean Boomhauer posted:

When your RAM gets full just pop the full stick out and put an empty one in.

Hot Swap RAM Slot

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

hooah posted:

I feel like I'm a regular Windows user, and it's... fine? Sure, maybe there are some minor things I'd change, but nothing is driving me away from the OS.

Windows has a thousand minor annoyances that I think most people learn to just deal with, work around, or accept as how things have to work. It’s a serviceable OS and it’s what most software runs on, so if the minor annoyances don’t add up to being a huge issue for someone then it’s fine. Accidentally activating copilot and finding out that I can’t disable it even on a Pro license was the straw that broke the camel’s back for me, personally, though. I’m in the process of converting to a Mac Mini as my main general use system and relegating my PC to only gaming and file hosting.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

repiv posted:

i'm not switching away until torvalds demonstrates the ability to jump over an office chair

What about a simple Riker Maneuver?

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Short of excising it via the registry, you can only disable copilot via a gpo, and according to a couple friends who manage enterprise deployments, it turns out that gpos are only supported on Enterprise and Education editions of Windows 11 as of 23H2. Windows 11 Home and Pro apparently just loving ignore gpo settings now. It's possible I've missed something or configured something wrong, but I cannot disable copilot without doing registry edits.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Oh, ok, I was concerned because you literally said it couldn't be disabled.

Bad choice of wording on my part. Apologies.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

down1nit posted:

You absolutely can disable Co-Pilot just ask it how. If you want something gone in windows, there's at least a hundred youtube videos about removing it. This is windows ffs, not macos.

This reads like a r/walkaway post where the person pretends to get outraged at something that causes them to "leave their political party"

When I asked it how to uninstall it, it just pointed me to the add/remove programs settings window, where there wasn't an option. I've gotten it disabled now, and sorry that my post came off like some troll r/walkaway poo poo. It really was just the final annoyance I had to deal with that made me finally go back to using macOS as my primary computer environment. It's not like Microsoft added it and that was the only thing that's ever bothered me. Death by a thousands cuts or whatever.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Sir Bobert Fishbone posted:

Can you point to an article about this? Might explain some weird behavior we're seeing at work but I'm not sure.

I do not. I got my information from an enterprise IT admin, and her statement was, and I quote,

quote:

all the GPOs only work with enterprise SKUs now
some still work with pro but lol
we only get machines with pro to domain join them and push the enterprise gvlk to them

She might be wrong, but has generally proven knowledgeable enough that I took her at her word.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Hasturtium posted:

Also the utter peppercorn-in-my-eye abomination that is replacing small bits of the UI with links to Bing searches for the thing that clicking the user interface used to handle for you.

Gotta juice those bing numbers so the team doesn't get fired.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

kirbysuperstar posted:

If this helped be sure to mark it as closed and give me a thumbs up

Since the op hasn’t replied in the last five minutes, I’ll be marking this as resolved and closing the thread.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

I never get tired of seeing people's reactions when they learn about that for the first time.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Blattdorf posted:

That's the vision of the future. That's what the customers truly want! Microsoft is slowly becoming the prime example of what happens if you insist on reinventing the wheel, even though what you're selling is, essentially, a desk. The desk has been solved. Stop. Just stop.

If they sold a version of Windows that was basically just Windows 2000 Professional UI, with the current Windows libraries and whatnot so modern programs launch, but with the AI/telemetric poo poo turned off, even at a premium over regular Windows, they would probably sell more licenses than they'd think they would.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

By the time Microsoft is finished rolling the remaining things into the Settings app they will have moved on to their next UI paradigm and it'll just start all over.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

mobby_6kl posted:

The Win8 UI made sense for touch devices. Unfortunately they went all-in with no thought for everything else, so like the first thing I saw after installing W8 on my desktop PC was a full-screen calculator app lol.

It was an absolutely baffling choice, like how could they possibly think that running a calculator in full screen made sense on a 27" desktop monitor.

I think Microsoft believed everything was going to shift to touch-screen only/death of the desktop. So they stupidly went all in only for the market to push back way more than anticipated, which then resulted in 8.1.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

I drive my computer unlicensed. I am a free man on the LAN and I will not be governed by your laws.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Dick Trauma posted:

I had to move one of our employees to a different cubicle and I told him that I'd be leaving his LCDs behind in favor of new ones that were already in the new cubicle. I thought he was messing with me when he asked if that meant that he would lose any files, and I laughed it off and then he got annoyed because he was serious. I explained that none of his files were stored in the LCDs and he wouldn't lose anything but he started getting huffy so I just moved them along with the rest of his stuff.

How the gently caress?

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

god please help me posted:

Decided to try out customizing my desktop.

https://i.imgur.com/illD8Nu.mp4

It's colorful. :3:

This is extremely "what if Microsoft made Windows 11, but had never grown out of the XP and Vista design languages."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

CaptainSarcastic posted:

They're trying to get people to switch their default search engine in Chrome to Bing, and I believe installing that plug-in will do so. When Chrome warns you a plug-in is trying to change your search engine, Windows will pop up another Window telling you definitely should allow it.

https://9to5google.com/2024/03/15/microsoft-windows-chrome-bing-pop-up/

That article led me to this one https://9to5google.com/2024/01/30/microsoft-edge-chrome-data-update-windows/ and surely at some point Microsoft is going to get in legal trouble for stuff like this. Right? RIGHT?