Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I used to have my taskbar on the side, but after using a touch device where you swipe from the bottom to show the taskbar and having a work machine where I couldn't change the position, I just went back to the bottom taskbar on my home PC and haven't changed it since, you get used to it again pretty quickly.

henpod posted:

I'm a shallow man who likes pretty technology and software so I am looking forward to this.

Big same. I love the tactile feel of touch interfaces, and the new haptic support on Surface pen they talked about sounds kind of intriguing too. I eventually got rid of my Surface Pro in favour of Android because it was too big and clunky for my needs, but the speed of the new UI and Android support has basically guaranteed that I'll be getting a new tablet this year, either a Surface Go or something in that form factor. I am pumped as hell, this is everything I wanted from Windows since 8.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I've been able to activate TPM on my first first gen Ryzen and it registers as 2.0, so if you have a Ryzen then you should be all set.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Isn't there only a tiny list of officially compatible CPUs right now? That might be why. My PC apparently isn't compatible either, but it looks like you can bypass that if you opt into the insider dev channel when the first insider build is released.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

The only thing left for me to do is enable secure boot, which first required me to switch from CSM to pure UEFI, which I followed up with a reboot, and now my PC won't recognise any of my three monitors in any ports, on GPU or MOBO, until it hits Windows. Just a blank screen, so I'm completely unable to navigate to the secure boot screen now. Any ideas before I have to go and make a dedicated troubleshooting thread somewhere? It's an MSI B350M Gaming Pro. I've tried hitting F6 to load the default settings, as the manual suggested, but god knows if it wants any more input from me or if I was definitely doing it at the right time.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Don't forget secure boot while you're rooting around in there.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I set it to install while I went to work, came back and it was done with all my open programs still where I left them. Very smooth process. The new way it handles themes is very nice, the subtle colour changes to the UI with different wallpapers make a big difference to how well everything ties together, if you're the kind of person who cares about that type of thing.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

One thing I've noticed that I haven't seen mentioned anywhere is that third party entries in the right click context menu don't seem to be there anymore. So right clicking a .7z file gives me the option to open with 7zip File Manager (since it's the default program), but the quick select options that 7zip adds to the menu to let you quickly zip and unzip files isn't there. I assume they don't want programs to be able to add anything they like in there, or it's just broken, but I feel like it's probably the former.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I assume it's related to things like sandboxing and not letting any old program get its grubby hooks into the system UI. So in the case of 7-Zip, the developer would need to change it so that when you right click a zip file and select 7-Zip, it brings up a menu with equivalent options that were in the context menu rather than defaulting to the file manager itself (and have that as one option on the list). It would be one extra click for the user but more secure for the OS.

E: two extra clicks I guess, since regular zip files are treated like folders and would need you to go right click > open with, instead of your chosen zip program being at the top of the context menu due to its file associations, as happens with .7z files currently.

Doctor_Fruitbat fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Jul 1, 2021

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

That's definitely a bug, it doesn't happen on my end.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

https://blogs.windows.com/windows-insider/2021/07/08/announcing-windows-11-insider-preview-build-22000-65/

There's a lot of small bug fixes, but only one of true importance:

quote:

Taskbar will now show across multiple monitors which can be enabled via Settings > Personalization > Taskbar.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

11 is mostly a massive UI change, so there's some unfinished stuff there, but the core OS is basically solid. There's really not been a lot to say about it after the first insider build dropped, it's not quite finished but it's good enough for me to use as a daily driver and not look back. I like it a lot more than 10 already.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

barnold posted:

I don't know if this was in before or whether I just noticed it with the latest cumulative update, but the cut/copy/paste options are no longer text buttons in the right click menu, and instead they appear as icons at the top of the context menu :catbert:

I'd love to see them, but I'm currently experiencing a bug where attempting to open the context menu locks up Explorer; if I hover the mouse over the close button, it appears faded and flickery like it's rapidly trying to do something over and over, but isn't able to. It looks fine in Task Manager, so it's just a weird UI bug I guess?

E: Okay, so it's only for one specific file, just a text file that acts as the config for a VR plugin, but it's marked as a .cfg file and has no Windows association, so maybe it's something to do with that? I got it open by just double clicking and selecting Notepad as the associated program, so problem solved I guess. It still locks up the context menu even with a file association though. Very weird.

Doctor_Fruitbat fucked around with this message at 12:38 on Aug 17, 2021

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Is anyone else having major issues with Explorer? Right clicking files locks up the entire window until I close it from the taskbar, and attempting to open photos results in a blank screen, like the Photos app isn't able to load the picture and is getting stuck. But I can open the app itself from the start menu and view photos within it, it's just when opening pictures specifically from Explorer, so I don't think it's the app itself.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I've applied all updates, so I guess I'm stuck with it for the time being, until a future update theoretically unfucks it.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I like Windows 11 so far and I'm not sure what people mean about it being mouse unfriendly? I haven't had a chance to use touch yet, so far it's just replaced 10 for me and works absolutely fine in that regard.

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I have a limited sample size, but my Boomer mom uses both the touch-screen on her laptop and a mouse, for different things. And the loving grouped icons led her to have error windows hanging around behind full-screen browser windows which made her think she was getting an error every time she closed the browser. It is just so, so dumb to intentionally make a GUI worse, but Microsoft seems hellbent on doing it with every other release or so.

I especially don't get this. Hasn't Windows had grouped icons since at least 7? I haven't noticed any different behaviour there in 11.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

The power button in the start menu is actually back in its old position from Windows 7, except there you have a big log off/power off button depending on settings and a tiny arrow to see the other options, which is frankly annoying as poo poo, so it's a step back from 10's placement but still better than 7. Maybe they'll end up filling that bottom space with more user options or swap things around, they tinkered with 10's start menu a lot as well.

I like the new start menu more overall, half of it is common programs that you choose to pin and the list is scrollable, so you can stick a fair amount of programs in there, and the other half of the start menu is recent docs, both of which are more useful to me than 7's fairly small list of recent programs and 10's live tiles. And like 10, right clicking start still gives you a decent number of common tasks for both regular and power users.

I also feel that the size of the interface has a much better balance between desktop and touch use than 8 and 10 did. Everything has a little more room to breathe and text is a little bigger and more rounded, but isn't so massively spaced out as to have mouse users swinging wildly across the screen with every context menu.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Ungrouping icons is something that they could and should bring back, and if enough people complain in the feedback then they likely will. I don't need it or particularly care, but it won't be hard to do.

An old school UI pack is a pretty sizeable undertaking if you want it to actually play nice with all software out of the box. There's probably scope to do an XP or Win 95 styled theme through recolours and such, but actually fiddling with the nuts and bolts of the OS to add thicker borders, offset the close button, etc and have it work with all software, especially software with a custom UI like Steam, is not going to be a quick and easy task. It might be doable, but it's best left to a third party dev than wishing for Microsoft branded DLC.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Well, it took every possible step I could find, including the classic sfc /scannow, the fixes posted last page, an in-place reinstall, registry fiddling and transferring files in safe mode because file explorer was by that point completely unuseable, but I can finally use the context menu without explorer completely locking up every time.

And somehow every step I took made explorer more and more unstable until it looked like I'd have to flatten and reinstall 10. Literally every step, including sfc /scannow which did actually find and fix an error, somehow made explorer more and more broken, including after a complete reinstall of the OS, until at some point I restarted for the millionth time after applying every explorer fix I could find and everything just worked flawlessly again. No idea which step fixed things. Absolutely bizarre.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Okay, what do I have to type to get My Computer/Computer/This PC to appear in search results? In 7 I just typed 'compu', in 10 it was 'this pc', in 11 I can't get any such result and have to open file explorer then navigate there myself. It isn't a huge issue, but kind of annoying.

Also I can pin This PC to start, but not the taskbar for some reason. I think it was the same in 10 as well.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Pinning it to start has got it working in search, but I did it as a last resort BECAUSE I couldn't find it in search. So strange.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Speaking of which, there's a Surface event on the 22nd, and if it turns out they're bringing back the Surface Neo before it gets too out of date and trying to push this out in time for release then :laffo:

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

The new icons are quite nice in their own way, but white strip = folder content is just unfathomably poor design and needs changing ASAP.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Any word on when Android apps are going to be enabled?

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Oof, yeah, I've just tried that myself and it does nothing now. That's pretty bad.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I updated instead of a clean install with the first insider build and it worked perfectly, I don't think you need to worry about that.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I liked live tiles but you only saw them for a second, they were a nice idea but ultimately redundant.

I like the new start menu, there are more quick program shortcuts than on 7 and recent files are a useful addition. The only thing I'd change is taking the options you get when right clicking the start button and bolting them to the side of the start menu.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

It doesn't excuse it, but I don't think they removed the taskbar features so much as they haven't implemented them yet. The interface is probably a complete rewrite, as it runs much faster than 10 and on touch devices can actually rotate smoothly instead of having a massive panic attack for several seconds, which is nice. Make a fuss about it somewhere they'll see it, hopefully they'll add this stuff back in sooner rather than later.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

DerekSmartymans posted:

Mainly for exactly the situation I find myself in at this moment: Looking up slang like “thicc” or “neocon” or “gaslighting.”

Words you see used only on the internet between groups of people to score points on the “other side.” It takes a little while to get into the Webster’s app, plus the UD App can have both very detailed to lmao-definitions of the new phrase and ways to use them correctly. Nobody I communicate with daily/weekly uses these words, so I have to look ‘em up.

:confused: Is this a bit? Just type it into the search bar on your home screen and let Google take care of it.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I've discovered a new most grating thing about windows 11: if you do the typical "type the first few letters of an app to find it" thing with the start menu, it works fine, but if you type a few more letters, it'll attempt to start a bing search through edge instead. That means they're limiting you to something like 4 letters and if you inadvertently go over before you reflexively press enter, it'll launch edge and do a bing search of the incomplete app name you just typed. And I can't find a way to turn this off. Great, thanks Microsoft!

That definitely doesn't happen with my system. I don't have a solution unfortunately, but it's not the intended behaviour. Possibly still indexing things, if it's a relatively new install?

I'm actually very impressed with search, it has been lightning fast and very reliable so far. I typed 'blend' as a test and it found Blender as a first result, then the web result, then all folders with blend in the title, followed by all my .blend files, immediately shown and properly categorised. Pretty much the same experience with all my searches. Really impressive after 10, and even better than 7 too.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

If you couldn't even get into the BIOS then it wasn't Windows, no.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Recommended is just recent files, it's should start filling up again once you start opening a bunch of files. I don't think you can remove it, but it's honestly pretty useful.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I built my new PC pretty much immediately after downloading the first insider build of Windows 11, so I haven't actually been able to notice a performance hit; I shall look forward to my speed patch on the 21st.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

There's an arrow next to the volume bar when you click the speaker icon that lets you switch input, but as someone who also needs to switch inputs quite a bit, it's one of my larger annoyances with 11.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I don't have that issue, but I run everything in borderless windowed because fullscreen absolutely sucks to use with multiple monitors. I'm honestly not sure what the point of fullscreen in games is anymore, borderless windowed has worked just as well for over a decade at this point.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

https://mspoweruser.com/microsoft-releases-the-first-preview-of-android-apps-on-windows

I'm not in the US, so someone else, tell us how it is!

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

If anyone wants to try out Android, this guide worked like an absolute charm, and after downloading the files took about ten minutes:

https://ahaan.co.uk/article/top_stories/google-play-store-windows-11-install

The only bit that tripped me up was inputting the IP address - the article tells you to use the one listed under Developer Mode, but I changed it to the one below it in IP Address, and I was then able to log into the Google Play Store and download apps, which then appear as native apps in your start menu.

Not all apps work yet (the Sonic remasters all display a black screen at gameplay), but I tried a couple of non-gaming apps and they worked beautifully. Obviously there's not a lot of point to any of this on desktop, games aside, but if they get the kinks worked out and it works well on lower powered devices like the Surface Go 3 then this is seriously good stuff for Windows tablets.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Nah, VR working good for me, dunno where that's come from.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Search and Settings are like a hundred times better, and the UI is much snappier overall. Pinned programs and recent files right in the start menu is pretty handy. Being able to bring a group of windows back into the foreground instead of individually clicking everything is pretty great.

Unless you're on a touch device then you really don't need to upgrade right now, but I don't regret doing so. The only real issue is if you want to change the behaviour of the taskbar, but there's third party options for that already.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Updates are smaller, quicker and less intrusive as well. In fact I haven't heard a peep about people trying to disable them, unlike with 10. Is that a thing people are doing with 11?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

https://ahaan.co.uk/article/top_stories/google-play-store-windows-11-install

Try this if you want to install the Google Play Store. App performance is pretty spotty at the moment, but it's cool to see things appear in the start menu as native apps. That said, if you wanted to install things that have an equivalent website like Twitch, Facebook, etc then just use the install as app feature in Edge, there no reason to mess around with Android for those.