Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

codo27 posted:

Lets talk about fuckin browers. Why the gently caress does the address bar need to be the full width of the window? The favorites bar should be moved up alongside it. Hell, if it weren't for you savages who have 2000 tabs open all the time, we could have tabs, the address bar and favorites all in one tidy row, maximizing space for the actual webpage. Maybe thats going a lil far, but I've been pulling for the ability to resize the address bar for years.

mozilla lets you do all that poo poo and i'm pretty sure chome also does if you go digging a bit, or maybe with an addon
that said, i dumped favourites entirely in favour of using the address bar like i launch windows apps. just press f6 instead of winkey, type first 1-3 letters, your bookmark is now on top

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
thank god i never have to use regedit in linux

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
i've only have to fight windows machines at work since i nuked windows on my gamebox at home in 2021 and my qol has since skyrocketed as a direct consequence, it owns :v:

realtalk it's not one specific change in particular but more that every little lovely change makes it more annoying/less friendly to set up if you're not in the "office employee who uses word and chome" subsection of users microsoft seems to be laser focused on now. poo poo kept piling up over the years and for me it was eventually enough that when win refused to boot one day, i installed linux instead of reinstalling. in KDE i don't have to scour google to find registry keys for thing, i can just hit winkey to search for thing and then click a checkbox in settings

and the fact that everyone else keeps adding features i like while windows keeps hiding and/or deprecating features that have been present for decades, well

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Klyith posted:

Weird, to me a file browser is better if it doesn't devote a bunch of UI space to useless buttons for functions that are easier to do with keyboard shortcuts or right-click options.

i mean, same

which is why i use a cli 99% of the time, lol

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
using 300w to generate hallucinate start menu search results

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Dariusz2k posted:

This pretty much sums up my experience with Windows 11:

That's on a fresh reboot too.

unused memory is wasted memory, go to the memory tab, it'll show something like this if you mouseover the various bars on usage thingy:
code:
MiB Mem :  64216,6 total,   3197,2 free,  13582,1 used,  48730,8 buff/cache

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
it is funny to me, though, that it took microsoft almost 20 years to finally start using ram effectively on consumer OSes, and now people are miffed because "in windows xp/7 i had so much more free ram!" lmao

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Klyith posted:

Windows has always done the effective thing dating back to at least Vista. The only thing that changes is the display on task manager and whether caches are included in the most user-visible readouts or hidden. They made them hidden starting in 7 so that people wouldn't complain.

Apparently the new UI for task manager in 11 makes caches more visible again?
IIRC it took until 8.1 for them to finally do memory management correctly, the difference between 7 and 8.1 was pretty stark for some workloads. maybe 8 was too, but everyone avoided that like the plague so who knows

that's not to say vista/7 didn't *try*, but it wasn't until after 7/2008r2 that they finally got it right, the previous implementations were really bad at remembering actually relevant things because superfetch or whatever kept interfering. specifically, databases run way better for me now, postgres on windows before 8.1 was an absolute trainwreck unless you had enough ram to fit the entire db and OS, and them some extra on top

and for desktop apps, i was playing an obscure winxp era game on win7 where the community had to make an app that would run for a minute before launching the game, because otherwise the initial loading screen after logging in would take like 3 minutes and you would time out because the load time was so long. iirc the problem was that files didn't cache after being being hit a single time, but the game would access some files more than once during initial loading. definitely an issue with the old game not doing efficient loading, but also lol

if you ran that app first it was a 3-5 second loading screen after the app took a minute to touch all the relevant filesystem bits a couple times to cache them correctly. it was a very funny situation that only really resolved itself for me on 8.1, and for people insisting on staying with 7 until SSDs got cheap enough to fit big games

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
microsoft wants like $200 for a copy of winpro, too. for that kind of money i expect being able to pick up a phone and get a patch for my special snowflake problem within a month, but the best possible result of calling ms support is getting told you should reinstall windows lol

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
the upgrade process seems to be buggy as gently caress in my experience, which is why microsoft holds a bunch of special cd keys you can input to force an edition change, names of which are escaping me at the moment so i can't find them.

then you can input the "real" key to activate it

fake edit: found a list on some github https://gist.github.com/jhermsmeier/5959110
these look legit because i remember the win11 pro one from the troubles i had last year, but probably wait for a microsoft knower to confirm

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Harik posted:

Is "don't destroy my machine plz" enterprise-only?
debian.org is what you want. it's a stable OS that runs all your games and only updates once every 2 years or so

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Eletriarnation posted:

Not that this excuses the 11 upgrade going ahead without your consent, but it does have echoes of the Vista situation where Microsoft gets the blame for every random printer or sound card which didn't work anymore after the upgrade because the manufacturer stopped caring about that model in 1998.

microsoft made and encouraged the hosed up ecosystem themselves because it helps them with vendor lockin, they get to have the blame when it fucks over their customers imo

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
specifically to gently caress over people who don't use your software, op

e: like, pc/microsoft and anroid/apple ecosystems make a fuckton of money off of data they siphon from your devices, if you could just install a 3rd party OS and have everything work better, that would be terrible

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
this chat reminds me of windows modems lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

repiv posted:

the fancier cheats have been using UEFI bootkits for a while so enforcing secure boot is the obvious way to stop that

i mean..
i can just sign my bootkit? lol
e: welp this is like 2 pages ago never mind