Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
The better messaging would have been something along the lines of

“You processor needs this set of features/instructions, here is a list of certified processors but you can still run w11 if this tool confirm your system”.

An arbitrary list from intel/amd sounds like “buy new stuff and gently caress you by the way” when you cut off i7 and leave anemic atoms without explaining why.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

owl_pellet posted:

The app says I need to have Secure Boot on, but when I enable it in the firmware and restart my computer it just boots back into the firmware until I turn it back off again. Gonna fiddle with it more later I guess.

Some motherboards will switch from BIOS/CSM to UEFI when activating secure boot, check if your windows install is set up for native uefi

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
Pro tip, the official windows 11 scan tool sucks as hard as biztalk

You can use this to get clear indication of why you can’t update

https://github.com/rcmaehl/WhyNotWin11

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Is there a way that this means anti-cheat will become less like intrusive malware if they can just utilize the existing OS features rather than employing custom kernel-level bullshit? Or will they still do that too and we're gonna be hosed both ways once games start mandating you update to Win 11?

It stills runs that kernel level driver, it's just adding extra validation on w11.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

TOOT BOOT posted:

I have no idea why they made this a default part of Windows. Your average person might have Documents, Music, Pictures, etc but not 3D Objects.

Microsoft went full creator mode in 2017 and made paint 3d able to make a 3d model, slice it and to print directly to OEM made printers(i think hp made a compatible unit), sadly everyone 3d printing is more than happy to use ghettorigged setups from china rather than premade kit so it died on the vine.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

sporkstand posted:

Has MS said anything about the upgrade to Win11 in domain/enterprise environments? I'm gonna have a poo poo ton of confused and pissed off users if they show up one day and their machines have been unceremoniously 'upgraded' to Win11. We're using WUfB to manage updates so I hope that MS provides some way of preventing the upgrade.

Just set up a feature baseline on intune imposing 21h1 and no client will budge from that

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

codo27 posted:

Desktop apps though I mean. Or did they add capability for desktop apps to it? I feel like they may have. But even that doesn't do updates worth a gently caress on the store apps as it is, you have to manually open it and do them.

https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2021/06/24/building-a-new-open-microsoft-store-on-windows-11/

You can fit anything in Microsoft store now, which given their lassez faire attitude in the past might mean lots of malware from the store.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

redeyes posted:

So there is the 'Snipping Tool' and also windows built in snipper which you do win+shift+S.. not sure these are the same things? I do remember reading the Snipping Tool itself would be retired and so I started using the win+shft+S thing.

Snipping tool is the “legacy one” while snip and sketch is the “current one” . Snipping tool has not been removed to avoid legacy apps crapping out if the old exe was missing.