Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

god please help me
Jul 9, 2018
I LOVE GIVING MY TAX MONEY AND MY PERSONAL INCOME TO UKRAINE, SLAVA
I have a question. I'm used to setting up a local account in Windows 10 so I'd never have to use the default admin account for basic office use and internet browsing. Can I not do that in Windows 11? Currently I'm trying to do the same set up, but there are some things in Windows 11 that I can't affect in my local account, and it tells me to get permission from my admin instead.

Additionally, I find the UAC prompts different than Windows 10. In Windows 10, all I'd have to do when I want to install something or change a setting was type in the PIN associated with my admin account. In Windows 11 security prompt, it asks by default for the admin password instead of the PIN I set up. Sure, I could just click to sign in another way and get to enter the PIN then that way, but it's still one click extra and different than how it used to be.

Is this the normal Windows 11 experience, or are there settings I can change to resolve my problem?

god please help me fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Jul 1, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

god please help me
Jul 9, 2018

god please help me posted:

I have a question. I'm used to setting up a local account in Windows 10 so I'd never have to use the default admin account for basic office use and internet browsing. Can I not do that in Windows 11? Currently I'm trying to do the same set up, but there are some things in Windows 11 that I can't affect in my local account, and it tells me to get permission from my admin instead.

Additionally, I find the UAC prompts different than Windows 10. In Windows 10, all I'd have to do when I want to install something or change a setting was type in the PIN associated with my admin account. In Windows 11 security prompt, it asks by default for the admin password instead of the PIN I set up. Sure, I could just click to sign in another way and get to enter the PIN then that way, but it's still one click extra and different than how it used to be.

Is this the normal Windows 11 experience, or are there settings I can change to resolve my problem?

Hey I'm making a followup post to this, but now my own administrator account on my Windows 11 PC got locked out. :wtc:

edit: I'm not sure I networked my computers correctly, but I got it working again. Just wait 10 minutes for the lockout to end, log in with my administrator account, and manually get permission to my own gatdang files on my PC. Then the other networked PC has permission to see said files. Yay!

I would still like it if I could just type in my authentication PIN by default in Windows 11 instead of the password, if anyone knows how to do that.

god please help me fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Jul 6, 2023

god please help me
Jul 9, 2018
I'm just curious about this, but does anyone know why my computer refuses to go to sleep sometimes? I set it to sleep, but it immediately snaps out of it. My PC is an insomniac just like me...

god please help me
Jul 9, 2018
I think y'all are right about it being a USB mouse issue. Though using the terminal commands powercfg /lastwake and powercfg -requests didn't bring up anything nefarious at cause (/lastwake just brought up "Wake History Count - 0", while -requests occasionally brought up any video or podcast I was listening to at the moment or nothing at all), I'm pretty sure now that it's strictly an issue with how much/how little my PC is paying attention to my USB mouse and keyboard.

My keyboard? I think it is acknowledging keypresses even if it won't wake the PC from sleep. Once I wake my PC, I see a window popped up if I want to open something based on whatever random keys I pushed to try to wake the PC. But the keyboard is then unresponsive and unpowered, so I have to disconnect the USB C cable from it and plug it back in again to get things working once more.

Meanwhile, my mouse? I believe that even the tiniest lingering movement that comes after selecting Sleep stops my PC from sleeping. But if I make sure to be really delicate with my mouse movement and let my PC go to sleep, mouse movement doesn't matter anymore, and clicking the mouse is the only that wakes the PC. (I also just checked my mouse for any hairs in the sensor, and there were some. I removed them with a tweezer, but still same results. Nonetheless, I'm grateful for the advice because living with a dog around, there was a surprising amount of hair.)

I'm pretty sure now that this isn't a virus issue at least, so I'm much calmer than I was before. Maybe the solution will be something really simple like unplugging and replugging in my USB hubs that I have my mouse and keyboard connected to? I'm not sure...

god please help me
Jul 9, 2018
By any chance, can you try this? Instead of going to the Default Apps menu, go to the Installed Apps menu and find Irfanview. Hopefully the little menu option will list "Advanced options" and from there you can go inside and scroll down until you see the option for either Repair or Reset. I had to repair my default Microsoft photos app when it said it had no way to open pictures anymore, lol.

I'd also recommend repairing the Microsoft photos app too in addition to Irfanview just in case that solves the issue with file associations.

god please help me
Jul 9, 2018
I am suddenly having a lot of questions I've had for a long time answered without asking. :tinfoil:

god please help me
Jul 9, 2018
This is a small issue I've been noticing lately, but the Windows menus are acting as if either the right arrow key or Tab key are being pressed down, but to the best of my knowledge, I don't have any stuck keys on my keyboard. Just clicking the power button in the start menu doesn't work, because white highlighted outline switches to the user profile button instead, and so forth with other menus.

I'm using USB hubs for my keyboard and mice, but testing out typing in notepad doesn't indicate that any key presses are being done. If anyone has any clues about what's going on, I'd appreciate it.

god please help me
Jul 9, 2018
...Yes, I do. Problem solved, muchas gracias! :sweatdrop:

god please help me
Jul 9, 2018
Can i get a link to openshell?

god please help me
Jul 9, 2018
May I suggest some sort of graphics driver issue that is causing power issues? Or perhaps some connection is not as secure as it needs to be inside the laptop. That was an issue I faced with my own mini pc that has laptop guts inside it.

god please help me
Jul 9, 2018

hooah posted:

What the gently caress did someone do to this website? Has it always been this garish?

I'm trying to pick themes in Wordpress for a website I'm making, but almost all of the themes look like this now days.

god please help me
Jul 9, 2018
Decided to try out customizing my desktop.

https://i.imgur.com/illD8Nu.mp4

It's colorful. :3:

god please help me
Jul 9, 2018

down1nit posted:

I like the cursor. may we have the cursor please

https://www.stardock.com/products/cursorfx/ Here you go. :) I used the Fluent Dark cursor that I adjusted the hue of.

god please help me
Jul 9, 2018
I'm surprised no one has mentioned Start11 at all, since it also brings the previous generations of the taskbar/start menu back (plus extra features). I tried it out. It seemed fine enough. I'm one of the few people who's okay with the current Windows 11 start menu, lack of ability to change the theming/background aside, but if you want a program that would let you still change the taskbar, Start11 works well.

god please help me
Jul 9, 2018
There are some heated opinions about the start menu in Windows 11, and I just took time to double check that I have no performance issues with it at all. The recommended section that's there has always shown me recently installed programs and downloaded files, and does what I need it to. I would perhaps like it if the search bar would stop integrating web search options if I need to look up individual documents, but I suppose File Explorer is the job for document/file search anyway (srsly I'm asking if that's the best way to search)?

The windows 11 taskbar has been good for me, but if you want to go back to the previous styles of taskbar, then try Start11. It does a lot, you can customize to do whatever you want, and even include ~colors~.

god please help me
Jul 9, 2018

Last Chance posted:

Yeah I think this conversation started with Microsoft newly attempting to block apps like that (specifically, StartAllBack? I think).

Yeah, startallback seems to be targeted, but Start11 is allowed and still works great. Wasn’t startallback stopped because the creator is Russian? I guess Stardock is more trustworthy according to Microsoft. Taskbar customization is still on the menu, and the issue seems to be startallback itself for reasons unknown.

god please help me
Jul 9, 2018
Win 8 was fun, and I liked customizing the colors of the patterns on the start screen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

god please help me
Jul 9, 2018
I think my realtek audio driver got expunged from existence after trying to do multiple windows updates at once. I tried to reinstall the audio drivers, but nothing shows up under the device manager each time, not even as an unknown device. The result of having no audio driver installed is that plugging in headphones into the audio jack results in strange behavior such as maxing the pc volume immediately (pointlessly), or doing the opposite and sinking the volume infinitely if you try to raise the volume. Also acting weird if you twist the audio jack.

Usb headphones work fine though. :v: