Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Lamquin posted:

This is a weird one and works for now, but maybe someone can tell me if this'll cause issues further down the line.

I have a 10+ year old Asus Xonar DX soundcard, but Asus has discontinued support and will not provide Windows 11 drivers for it.
Fair - a lot has happened, so I'll try the Onboard Realtek sound, except it does some really weird pops/stutters now and then. It works, but I'm not super happy about it.

So at the recommendation of a friend and having seen it recommended elsewhere with good reviews, I simply went and got an Apple USB-3.5mm adapter. It works perfectly, with one weird caveat.

Windows thinks it's a Headphone adapter, but it's actually plugged into Speakers. Does this matter at all? Can I change this somehow in Windows 11? Will games now assume I'm using Headphones and adjust the sound?

Looks like you can click "Rename" in that screenshot, but I doubt any of it matters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

astral
Apr 26, 2004

disaster pastor posted:

Speaking of weird video stuff, any idea why my Win11 system would have lag but only in completely nonsensical, undemanding apps? I've got a 13700K and a 3080, drivers up to date, and random apps will lag badly enough if they're the focused app that it makes moving the mouse feel noticeably sluggish.

Diablo 4 didn't lag when I played it. Crusader Kings 3 doesn't. Firefox and Vivaldi don't, whether or not I'm playing video. Freda e-book reader does, though! My Hyper-V VM? Causes the lag. Out of the Park Baseball, which is a glorified spreadsheet, causes the lag unless I disable OpenGL, but why the hell would Win11 be having issues with OpenGL?

Are you using a monitor with a variable refresh rate (G-Sync/Freesync)? Your video card drivers could be detecting that those things are 3d apps and your monitor could then be trying to sync to a very low framerate, making things seem laggy. If you have an NVIDIA card, you can set 3D settings for those specific apps to not use G-SYNC (under "Monitor Technology") and I assume there's an AMD equivalent if that happens to AMD cards too. I've had to set this for several programs since I don't want to give up windowed G-Sync (another option).

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Flipperwaldt posted:

Utterly baffled by this windows 11 install that won't let me set a desktop background. Or to be more precise, it doesn't stop me at all, it then just... doesn't actually do it. Desktop stays black. Lock screen doesn't seem to be a problem. Fully activated, I checked. What's weird is that under personalize, the option to just pick a custom image isn't there. Just some preset themes. Right click an image does have the set as desktop background option though.

Basically came fresh out of the box yesterday from Lenovo with a windows 11 pro license with downgrade rights and windows 10 installed. I did absolutely nothing to it but create a local user account and then run the upgrade to 11 :shrug:

Hopefully you're already doing a clean install.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

This is very likely the future I'm going to be a part of. Proton is getting real good and more games are actually shipping with Vulcan. It doesn't do anything for the Linux drivers of GPUs which last I looked are still in a real sad state, but the Steam Deck is doing a lot of heavy lifting here. It would be a monstrous pain to give up Visual Studio, but maybe that's the price I have to ultimately pay. I haven't used Linux outside of an administration context for many years. What is the current distro de jour?

Just run something well-supported like Fedora, Debian, Ubuntu, etc.

Regardless of distribution you'll probably want KDE Plasma as your DE.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Internet Explorer posted:

Nice. That thread title change is for you, astral.

:patriot:

astral
Apr 26, 2004

pmchem posted:

well, yeah. I could install 23H2 via MCT. But I'm more wondering why it's not available via windows update in the first place. If there's some weird compatibility problem WU is detecting causing it to block 23H2 from being shown as an option... I'd like to know what it is? There should be a way to tell?

Does W11 do upgrade assistants still? If so, you could run the upgrade assistant and it could tell you why and/or install it for you.

MS also has a page where it lists issues that are preventing wider rollout of an OS version and who's affected.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

pmchem posted:

anyone got a link to that page?

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/release-health/status-windows-11-23h2

Doesn't look like it's been updated for a bit though, with the blue message:

Current status as of October 31, 2023 posted:

We will begin the auto-updating rollout process in the coming months and share more information here.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

That's a good suspicion; I'd try making sure Monitor Technology is set to 'fixed refresh' for one of the laggy applications and then see if it still happens. Might be trying to g-sync to an abysmal framerate.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Flipperwaldt posted:

I hate that you can only get a clean monochrome tray icon for defender by enabling high contrast themes. Regular dark mode is stuck with a Windows 7 era blue thing that sticks out. Like, it's there, but you can't have it unless you go goth hotdog stand.

Why not hide the useless thing? (or is it a windows 11 thing that you can't?)

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Vic posted:

Except these things:

- No hotkey
- No volume mixer
- No spatial sound toggler
- No ctrl-win-v, down/up, space combo to toggle my devices quickly without touching the mouse.

It's such a basic thing I can't believe it took them so long.

w10 has a volume mixer

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Vic posted:

I'm saying no volume mixer when you

And also the volume mixer is:
not accessible by a hotkey (no creating a shortcut to your settings menu doesn't count)
not in a neat and small taskbar popup

This isn't what I want to open ten times a day:

Well, no. On w10 you right click the volume icon to get the mixer. That gets you the good popup mixer too, not the awful UWP one in the screenshot.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Thanks Ants posted:

I can’t wait for this AI fad to fall on its arse so we can get straight onto the next round of bullshit that nobody wants.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Jigsaw posted:

So, uh, huh.

Just saw this pop up on my loving desktop today. Is there a registry key or GPE setting to disable this Microsoft-sanctioned malware? (I'm actually still on Win10 Pro, but that thread is closed; I assume the registry key and GPE settings would be the same on Win11, though.)

Looking around online seems to show that (i) yes, Microsoft has admitted this is them, and (ii) people are (rightly) pissed about it, but I haven't actually found anything that says how it could be disabled. (I'm assuming just clicking "No, thanks" won't prevent it from popping up again whenever it feels like it.)

If you had Enterprise, you could enable this one:

Turn off Microsoft Consumer Experiences
in Administrative Templates\Windows Components\Cloud Content

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Quackles posted:

I just want to note that this worked properly in Windows 10.

It did work properly, but then they hosed with it to make it "update and restart and then shutdown."

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Out of curiosity, would you (if that's your screenshot) say you use edge (matching 'internet explorer') more than the file explorer?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Tiny Timbs posted:

I fixed my sound issue in Arch and I've been maining it for the last couple of weeks :gritin:

Condolences.