Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender
No folders in the start menu is gonna be weird. I don't really do much other than search these days, but still.

I do wish they'd had some more news on ARM Windows, though. I'm looking forward to my next laptop upgrade, but it's gonna be an ARM Mac, so I'd really like there to be some sort of version of Windows I can virtualize for the rare times when I need to use it. Though, that kinda also depends on ARM drivers being made available for the bizarre hardware I need Windows for, and I dunno how soon that'll happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

MikusR posted:

You can already virtualize Windows Arm. And fall update should bring x64 emulation in addition to 32bit one.
As for news Windows 11 will allow 64bit arm programs use x64 dlls.

Oh, that's awesome to hear about 64-bit software. At that point, drivers are going to be my only real concern, so hopefully my poo poo gets ARM drivers (which it probably won't, since it's all niche stuff like multimeters, a KryoFlux unit, and so on).

I thought it wasn't possible to buy ARM Windows outside of an OEM, though. Or does it just use the same keys?

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Klyith posted:

Today I think that maybe the Linux Foundation would be nice to make into a second key holder equal with MS. Assuming they would accept that role, maybe they wouldn't want it?

I'd be real wary of the Linux Foundation being the sole second keyholder, as they can be pretty aggressively anti-non-Linux (see the repeated bullshit about ZFS, for example), not just anti-Windows. As one of several keyholders, though? Sure, sounds good to me.

doctorfrog posted:

Just to chime in on the “trust or don’t trust tech” thing, and from the perspective of an average consumer and outsider: at this point, tech companies need to go out of their way to earn my trust, and I will not trust them by default.

I don’t buy into conspiracies per se, but until there’s a clear and transparent explanation for a suspicious trend or change, I’m going to assume it’s not for my benefit. It’s probably going to constrict my choice in some way or exploit me or someone else, because that’s happened plenty of times already and practically defines the current tech age.

Probably a superfluous post on this thread, now that I think of it.

I mean, that's true of basically any company. Assume they're trying to gently caress you over and/or exploit you somehow until and unless thoroughly proven otherwise. Tech companies are some of the most highlighted examples lately, but they're certainly not the only ones.

64bit_Dophins posted:

Wait wtf why can't I move the taskbar to the side in Windows 11?

Is there a single compelling reason to upgrade?

I hate the dock, I hate everything about the new interface and I was just starting to accept windows 10.

Man poo poo - I guess I may have to go back to linux and put my head in the sand with MS for 5 years like I did back in 2006.

I think the next DirectX version is going to require Windows 11. So, if PC games are a big thing for you, it'll eventually matter. Other than that? Not . . . really.

I like some of the things they're trying to do, but the whole thing just feels off.

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

Microsoft doesn't understand UX - like at all. I could write a ton on this, but the micro-decisions in the MS products are actually really good. Font choice, colors, contrast, and the minor layout elements are all expertly picked (With exceptions in a lot of the Metro/Material stuff). When I want reference material for these small decisions that I can't work out, I frequently look to MS stuff for ideas. Segoe UI is basically the font I use for everything.

However, the macro level decisions about app layout, control flow, and general user experience are complete trash.

This is probably the best way I've ever seen somebody put my issues with Microsoft's UX. There are a lot of individual things I really like about Microsoft products, but they haven't really felt coherent and well-designed in a long, long time (if ever). Everything just feels bolted on (probably because it has been, over the last 30 years), and it's rare that they actually go back to clean up the cruft. Meanwhile, they seem to get a new galaxy-brained product designer for every version in the last ten years who's convinced that they'll finally be the one to crack combining touch and mouse/keyboard interfaces into the same UI.

64bit_Dophins posted:

gently caress

Yeah I mean imo the perfect UX was BeOS R5.

It has been downhill from there ever since.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

DerekSmartymans posted:

I had a TotL Packard Bell from Sears in 1997 as a gift from my wife’s mom, and it had a program (not a drat “app”) that was a 3D trip around a house that was really slick the way you could find and utilize the different parts of a room to do stuff on the screen. Space Ship version sounds baller AF so I look forward to seeing it, too!

That would have been a later version of Packard Bell Navigtor. Dunno about this space ship thing. That sounds interesting.