Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
There's some changes/bug in Windows 11 that don't gel with some games. At least Prepar3D, CS:Go and Saints Row 3 Remastered do something to send some system service called Capability Access Manager flying off the rails, eating up as much CPU as it can, while also taking up several gigabytes of memory. If you're gaming and something inexplicably has poo poo performance, it's worthwhile to watch out for that one in task manager (some svchost taking up lots of memory, will stand out).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Seems like it. It's unlikely the games to be the culprit, since the service exists on Windows 10, too, and doesn't get triggered.

I was trying out Saints Row 3 Remastered on the notion of being free, but wondered why it ran like crap, until by chance I looked into task manager and saw that service hogging around 8GB of RAM and eating >80% CPU cycles (on a 16-core Threadripper). CPU usage stopped when I killed the game, memory didn't seem to get freed. It's pretty much 100% reproducible. I hope MS catches and fixes it before release. There's already a bunch of entries about it on the Feedback hub, let's see what that's worth.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Klyith posted:

That CPU is on the Zen 1 architecture (same as Ryzen 1000 series desktop CPUs), which doesn't have the particular hardware acceleration feature that MS wants for their virtualization-based security. This will cause performance loss, though how noticeable it will be day-to-day I don't know. See this article, scroll down to the section titled "A towering stack of security acronyms".
Zen+ is supported, which is pretty much Zen 1, and doesn't have that MBEC feature listed, either.

--edit:
I read on reddit that the Zen+ might have been dropped. >:[

--edit:
Without Intel MBEC or AMD GMET, performance hit can be as much as 40% hit with HVCI (Memory Integrity) enabled.

That'd certainly explain the frame rate reductions I've seen while trying HVCI in the past. Well, gently caress me.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Aug 29, 2021

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Klyith posted:

Guess what processor is in the Microsoft Surface 3 15" laptop, which MS was selling as recently as 4 months ago? Go on. Guesssssssss.

It wouldn't be MS without one division holding a gun to another division's head and yelling "support my product or so help me god I'll do it!"
I mean, it runs just fine, so long you disable HVCI. I'm not sure why they have such a hard-on in regards to enabling it via WU only (--edit: indirectly by requiring a capable computer to upgrade that way), since apparently installation media are excluded.

Actually, it all makes no sense. It's putting the cart in front of the mule.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Aug 30, 2021

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

I never understood the complaints about the start menu. Most power users pin everything to the taskbar and use the start menu as search UI.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

repiv posted:

we have a release date
I have no issues with Windows 11 in regards to stability. It works fine on my rig running 24/7.

That said, they should have pushed it another month, to get more updated UI in there (no examples, but I'm sure people are gonna tear into it on release).

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

UI is a front-end to functionality in a system, and both are interlinked. "Releasing" an "old UI" (presumably open source or as freeware, or whatever you mean) doesn't really do anything, because they'll be yanking the carpet from under your feet rather sooner than later.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Counter-anecdote, I have the latest beta build (.176) installed and everything is fine. Just about everyone is complaining about the dev build, tho.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

What'll be more interesting to see is if they'll gonna fix that DPC latency issue, that causes the audio subsystem to freeze for a minuscule period intermittently, causing the audio buffer to loop and sound glitchy. Plenty of people have been reporting this and it is annoying to boot.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

I don't get these claims about webifiying Office. The current web versions are a clusterfuck, IMO, and the rumor about "rewriting Office" really just pertain to Outlook.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Here's my hot take: gently caress the web as universal solution to everything and their mom.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

I like Linux, because it's got plenty of interesting features, I like tinkering and the UNIX ways, but it's pretty useless if I can't run various (Windows only) productivity software flawlessly out of the box or play AAA games near their actual release date.

If I have to run VMs left and right to make this work, I ought to stick to Windows to begin with. I gave it an extended try a long while back, when GPU passthrough via VFIO started to become a thing, and I found myself running the VM more than the underlying Linux system.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

TOOT BOOT posted:

I have no idea why they made this a default part of Windows. Your average person might have Documents, Music, Pictures, etc but not 3D Objects.
I don't see it anywhere opening Explorer, so I guess it's gone.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

The Merkinman posted:

Surely this time the new version of Windows is so bad that people will switch to Linux.
I did my regular check up of the state of things, this time I spun up a VM to check how fractional scaling works, because me and my 28" 4K displays, and it was a complete clusterfuck. And that's where I stopped. I'm sure NVidia downclocking is still bugged to poo poo. Last year, it still turned my card into a room heater during idle, and I'm fairly certain it still would nowadays.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Thanks Ants posted:

Display scaling (especially handling displays connecting and disconnecting) and piss-poor Bluetooth audio support are sort of the hallmarks of a Windows OS at this point
Yeah, well, I'm using HiDPI on Windows got a few months now, and it works relatively flawlessly. Maybe I'm not using old enough apps anymore.

Meanwhile my attempts at testing it in Ubuntu failed hilariously. It rounded up to the next full multiplicator, and sometimes applied it twice. What was supposed to be 150% ended up with 200% titlebars and 400% window content (not every app for whatever reason, they were all GTK apps). On a fresh install from scratch.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

How in the gently caress even? The strings in the registry are all 16-bit Unicode. --edit: Wait, nevermind. HxD says not all are.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Oct 13, 2021

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

I wonder in what manner they hosed with the registry stuff, if it's not an issue on 10.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

So why exactly is everyone so hot for Windows Defender, anyway? Today I downloaded an ostensible crack for Far Cry 6 to see whether Denuvo is loving with my system or not. The thing is throwing me tons of notifications about the executables and I keep telling it to remove it. It's doing gently caress all (i.e. it doesn't quarantine nor delete the files) except bothering me. And I haven't even ran the files. It's just Defender being stupid. Nevermind the UI is atrocious, anyway.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

redeyes posted:

Welll because the other options are even worse?!
Well, poo poo. :mad:

--edit:
At what point in time did NOD32 fall from grace, anyway? Everyone used to swoon for it back in the day.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Oct 21, 2021

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

repiv posted:

Far Cry 6 hasn't been cracked yet, so weird behaviour aside Defender is probably correctly identifying something malicious masquerading as a crack
I'm not disputing that it was a trojan. What is bothering me is that I have about 30 entries in the Defender protection log that it removed or quarantined the threat, yet I had to delete the executables myself to make it shut up about it.

Sickening posted:

I..... I don't know how I should reply to this and I dont even know why i typed the words. Just thank you for you and your kind keeping me employed forever.
I downloaded the "crack" and immediately sicced Defender onto it. :confused:

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

I've been trying to diagnose those audio glitches that appeared with Windows 11, and this time around, I came across a whole lot of people being convinced that the fTPM on AMD CPUs causes this and disabling it fixes it.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Fame Douglas posted:

Seems unlikely. What audio glitches are you experiencing?
Sounds like occasional buffer underruns, where the last buffer loops like 3-4 times, before it catches up and continues playing. It's been an issue since the very first Windows 11 build I've used (22000.51 or whatever). That didn't happen on Windows 10. I hoped that it's just a development thing that'll eventually go away. But so far not.

I'm not getting any DPC/ISR latency spikes in LatencyMon, so it's not the NVidia driver (or any other) being a pain in the rear end.

I'm currently running fTPM off to see whether that does something.

Other people are convinced that it's G-Sync being enabled, so v:shobon:v

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

So far, I haven't noticed no more glitches of the kind I'm complaining about, since I turned fTPM off.

(Then again, it's probably gonna happen when I hit submit, like always when I'm posting about resolving an issue.)

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

My audio glitches are definitely gone after disabling fTPM.

I mean what the gently caress.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

MikusR posted:

It's possible that enabling it turns on either the Virtualization based security or some other device security features.
VBS without HVCI has been enabled in Windows 10 already. Didn't affect it then.

The bigger issue will be getting Microsoft's attention about this. Chances are that it's some bullshit about the fTPM driver and the audio driver running on the same core and interfering. On other systems it might be the graphics driver instead. Probably not impossible, because I've read about complaints about stuttery graphics on Windows 11.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

I still need to monitor ( :haw: ) it some more, but I think my displays stopped doing this stupid mode change flicker (sometimes up to 8-9 times) when coming out of sleep, since disabling the fTPM. At this point, since it's essentially a firmware implementation, that it's probably just buggy. Lets see if I can put a discrete module on this mainboard, because I sure as hell don't expect any more BIOS updates.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Oh yay, I dealt with the first person that couldn't wrap their head about the TPM requirement for Windows 11.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Rinkles posted:

Is there a good reason for the other non-performance cpu requirements? My old desktop meets them all, except for the cpu not being whitelisted.
gently caress knows. A couple of weeks ago I actually disabled the fTPM modules on my Threadripper, based on reports that it introduces audio glitches, which I happened to have since ever installing Windows 11 going back to the first beta release. I disable the fTPMs, the audio glitches go away, however Windows 11 keeps running and updating itself with zero complaints. So I'm not sure what the TPM requirement is actually good for.

Same probably applies to the other requirements. Theoretically my 2950X doesn't meet the requirements either being Zen+, but it's apparently A-OK according to setup.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

redeyes posted:

Are you using built in Realtek audio or something like a USB Dac?
Happens both on my Soundblaster PCIe card and the Realtek on-board audio.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

How did you disable it? Just in the bios and that's it?
Yeah, somewhere in the chipset, northbridge settings or whatever it is called. You still need it for (re)installing, but it works fine without. I suppose so long you don't have a Bitlocker boot drive. I have a VHDX encrypted with Bitlocker and that still works fine.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Clipchamp? What the gently caress, Microsoft? Some barebones web-based video editor where you need to pony up :10bux: a month to export in 720p or higher. I guess that's the price for ease of use in face of something like Davinci Resolve, which is free for the most part.

Also, the OneDrive updater spawning four console windows during the update. :golfclap:

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Thanks Ants posted:

Ah that's what those are
Yeah, I only found out it's actually OneDrive, because Windows Terminal can now be set as default, and the same time configured to keep the window open after the shell process terminates.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Well, that's new:

If you follow the stuff, you get to their site and this is quoted:

quote:

This PC doesn't meet the minimum system requirements for running Windows 11 - these requirements help ensure a more reliable and higher quality experience. Installing Windows 11 on this PC is not recommended and may result in compatibility issues. If you proceed with installing Windows 11, your PC will no longer be supported and won't be entitled to receive updates. Damages to your PC due to lack of compatibility aren't covered under the manufacturer warranty.
Incidentally, it showed up after tonight's update. Those dipshits better not pull the rug from under my feet in that regard, because the fTPM is still causing issues and I won't reenable it. And I don't expect to get an update for this older X399 board anymore.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

They should not gently caress around with the task manager for the sake of making it look more in line. That piece of poo poo started becoming relatively crash happy since once of the latest regular updates (usually switching tabs, most often going to the process tab), so if anything, it needs more bug fixing and hardening, and less messing about for no goddamn reason.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

The "changelog" of the latest dev build mentions that they're going to bug you about the Memory Integrity feature, if it's turned off. I sure hope that notification stays entirely within the Defender UI, because I can't be assed with yet another toaster notification on (re)boot, more so because it's a performance killer on my CPU that doesn't support MBEC/GMET.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

I'm prepping my system to power down/go into sleep mode instead of running 24/7, now that all of my VMs and poo poo are residing on the low power NAS. So I'm fudging around with things, and powercfg.exe /a mentions this:
code:
Hybrid Sleep
    The hypervisor does not support this standby state
Seems like I'd like this, because it dumps the memory to disk to recover in case of a power failure. Hibernate works, S3 sleep works, but the hybrid mode does not for some reason?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Over here my keyboard kept waking it up. For some reason it also spawned a mouse device, probably related to this RGB or media key crap. I disabled all input devices and have to whack the power button instead now.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

What the gently caress is wrong with this OS? Because sleep breaks some driver's functionality here, I decided to go the fast boot route and shut down the whole system. Except when I attempt to shutdown, the thing restarts instead and boots right back into Windows.

:confused:

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

The driver is a purely software function (it's something similar to iSCSI), if you allude to that one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

The 22H2 installer from within WU insists on TPM 2.0. Goddamn.

--edit:
Wow, that's mean. It's just a gatekeeper app. As soon it detects your system to be compliant (i.e. me reenabling fTPM), it closes and tells WU to go ahead, which then takes back over.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Jun 8, 2022