Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug
Count me in the 'sad about no side taskbar' crew unfortunately, but I'll probably still upgrade to W11 when it's offered since I'm pretty lightweight on requirements as long as it runs games and dev stuff just fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug
This whole hardware requirements thing is gonna be really interesting to see it finish hashing out.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug
https://www.theverge.com/2021/6/25/22550376/microsoft-windows-11-tpm-chips-requirement-security

Sounding more and more like TPM 2.0 is the requirement. Should be interesting to see MSFT's blog post on it.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug

TOOT BOOT posted:

It's really weird they're gating 11 like this, usually the latest Windows will run on any old piece of crap. It might not run well but you can try...

OS development is kind of a balancing act between compatibility and pushing features forward. Making things required (like 64-bit processors/etc) speeds up development for software because you start making it easier to say 'hey everyone on Windows 11 has feature XYZ on hardware' as well as 'you don't need to worry about supporting features ABC because they're not part of the game anymore'.

There's a kind of constant flux between the goals of 'it should work on anything' and 'requiring TPM lets us build some stuff into the core OS for security' - I'm not a security researcher or even all that familiar with TPM, mind you, just getting that from the Verge's article/etc.

Sounds like 11 is them leaning pretty hard on the forward push instead of the dragging along. I wonder if this means Win10 will end up with an expanded EOL date, like WinXP had.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug

gourdcaptain posted:

I'm also partially convinced this has to do with the general trend that every software or hardware company wants to be Apple, no matter how miserable the result is. And Apple gets to do strict hardware lockouts for OS releases, so...

The 64-bit processor part is basically a nonproblem, as I don't think anyone's shipped a 32-bit proc since 2002, and the other part is about a specific hardware security feature. Neither of these are Apple-style 'we changed your charger because we need more Q2 profits' stuff.

Although on the other hand it's not like they've confirmed the details fully yet, so who knows. Maybe all Windows 11 machines need a $50 Microsoft TM Certified Dongle to run or something.

I'm glad I'm not the PR team, but it's not like there's any problem for the rest of us waiting a few weeks for MSFT to get their messaging straight.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug

Grey Area posted:

I think everyone needs to chill until the final OS is released. It looks like nobody knows what's going on so the best thing to do is nothing until we get more information.

If you were looking to upgrade your CPU/mobo anyway it's clear that any current* hardware will work, so you don't need to take Windows 11 into account.

* Yes there are people selling 10 year old poo poo as new on Ebay. You know what I mean.

For what it's worth the people dunking on MSFT's terrible handling of this aren't wrong either :p: this definitely looks like something went really wrong around the requirements so I think it's fair for people to like, mock that.

On the other hand, I agree that nobody needs to be doing any planning based on that for a while.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug

Klyith posted:

[And finally they have a massive incentive for windows to be iOS or xbox with a walled software garden. I don't think this is their true secret plot for 11 or something. It is an incentive they will keep circling like a shark, occasionally testing the market. Windows Store. Surface shipping in 10 S mode. They keep trying. I'm sure it would make things more secure.

The rest of this is a pretty good summary, but on this point I'd point to the recent store announcements being a pretty clear indication that they're moving in a much more open direction on this front. There's a difference between 'wanting a slice of the Apps pie' and 'wanting a walled garden'.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug

Klyith posted:

They are a corporation that exists to make money. If they could turn windows into a walled garden and make $Apple^2 money, they would. By some readings of the law, they'd be obligated to. But they aren't stupid, and all their attempts at half-steps in this direction have failed. Believe it, if Windows 10 S had been a smash success -- rather than a thing most frequently paired with "how do I switch to regular windows?" -- they'd be taking another step with 11.

The fact that they are moving in a more open direction with MS Store is only because it has failed twice. First as the UWP only app store, then as a any-app-but-we-get-30% store. A company doing something you like after repeated failures of something you hate hasn't learned a lesson, they've just capitulated to reality.

There is nothing friendlier than a corporation that's had a recent string of failures to its customer base. Corporations aren't your friend. Recognize the alligator smile.

Hold up, I don't disagree with that premise at all, I'm just saying that they are moving away from it currently, not that they wouldn't potentially do it under different circumstances. Corporations are amoral profit generation machines, sure, but what I'm saying is that the current circumstances of this particular amoral profit generating engine doesn't support the idea that this is a current issue.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug

Klyith posted:

Ah, ok, sorry. Well, lemme explain why that point was in my original post a bit more explicitly then, because I went from A to B with no inbetween to explain where that came from. Kinda assumed familiarity with DRM wars from 20 years ago.

Some of my suspicion of 11's TPM & secureboot requirement, is that trusted platform stuff is a big potential stepping stone into a quasi-walled garden. And it has good options to use boiling the frog methods. Basically, what you do is let the existing applications continue as they are, and create a new class of "secure applications" that have been vetted & signed (by microsoft). Then you gradually shift the foundations to restrict the open apps more heavily, and make the secure apps the superior way to do things. And then you let the old APIs moulder and slowly deprecate them. That's how you get the walled windows: it's not like iOS because you can still run insecure / unsigned apps if you want... but nobody does because they suck to use and don't work well.

A lot of this stuff was originally conceived of as ways to protect DRM from the user, not to protect the user from malware. The TPM was the place to put keys that the user couldn't get at. It's disabled by default in most BIOSes because it had so little user upside, and so many hostile intentions, that it was widely rejected.

And this is not hypothetical. Linux distros right now rely on keys from Microsoft to sign their boot loaders in order to secure boot. Even the biggest Red Hats & Ubuntus don't get independent keys in the firmware. If secure boot is mandatory, MS is ultimately the arbiter of what OS can boot on your PC.

Minor edit: I should start by just making it clear that I'm generally willing to trust tech companies when they say they want to do XYZ, because I work for a major tech company and I've seen the inside view of sometimes unpopular decisions. I don't have any insider info on Win11 or anything, so there's no fun secrets I'm hiding here, just a general knowledge that a group of engineers going 'hey here's a list of good reasons we should do X' can often get totally ripped apart outside of the company context - and sometimes for very good reason. I also am generally not in favor of moves toward walled-garden style setups, and so I'm kind of somewhere in the middle here. Not trying to be an argumentative jerk, just like, I think this has a bit more nuance than 'MSFT dumb, wants money.'

After getting the context, I see where you're getting at.

I don't think that the modern Microsoft leadership is particularly aiming in that direction, for what it's worth (and not because of any particularly noble venture, but because they see profit in other areas), but I can see where you're coming from at least and agree that it would be a bad future to head toward; I have no interest in a Microsoft-controlled walled garden, but I am at least sympathetic to the idea that requiring hardware-level security devices are a good idea, although I too remember the EFF articles against TPM chips. I'm hoping there will be some good modern articles written in the coming weeks so that I can get a better idea of the upside/downsides.

Some nuance though:

For what it's worth, my understanding of SecureBoot is that it's a UEFI-layer protection, not the entire system. So it's a protection against firmware-level attacks, and shouldn't have any effect against programs running in the OS-layer as long as they're not loving with the bootloader.

Also, it looks like SecureBoot doesn't require MSFT, it just defaults to the two main MSFT certificates that you need to be able to clear against...or anything else on the firmware chip, and OEMs have their own. I can't find data on this directly, but it looks like the OEM certs are their own deal as well, not just signed off MSFT, which would make sense as the UEFI body is a bunch of hardware makers and Microsoft, and presumably Lenovo doesn't want to go to MSFT for making firmware. https://oofhours.com/2021/01/19/uefi-secure-boot-who-controls-what-can-run/

Falcon2001 fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Jun 30, 2021

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug

doctorfrog posted:

Just to chime in on the “trust or don’t trust tech” thing, and from the perspective of an average consumer and outsider: at this point, tech companies need to go out of their way to earn my trust, and I will not trust them by default.

I don’t buy into conspiracies per se, but until there’s a clear and transparent explanation for a suspicious trend or change, I’m going to assume it’s not for my benefit. It’s probably going to constrict my choice in some way or exploit me or someone else, because that’s happened plenty of times already and practically defines the current tech age.

Probably a superfluous post on this thread, now that I think of it.

Honestly this is a pretty compelling argument to me. Like Microsoft should probably be making a pretty clear case for why TPM 2.0 is required or useful/etc, and that probably should be the norm among tech companies setting requirements/etc.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug

Klyith posted:

Ok, a good article explaining the CPU requirements: It's about a single feature called mode based execution control that did not get added until Intel Core 7th and AMD Zen 2. It has big performance impact on the VM-based security feature.

To whit what others are saying: wish this was laid out more clearly instead of having to be dragged out of the Security lead by a journalist, but it does shed some more light on it.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug
As someone who *absolutely* spent a lot of his youth toying around with Stardock and UI / shell replacement software, I'd love for that to come back, but I also lucked out in that I just don't use any of the features that Win11 got rid of (I've been grouped-tab for a long-rear end time, my start menu searches somehow work just fine, etc). My biggest beef is the lack of a vertical task bar, which I'm hoping comes back at some point, but I only switched to that like, a few months ago.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug

CoolCab posted:

this question legit is not intended as a troll (even though it might read that way, apologies):

what is the killer feature that motivated you to move to windows 11. what is the particular unique functionality that might incentivize me to upgrade and stomach the UI changes? what is the thing that you can only do on 11 but cannot on 10 and very specifically, right now, not a future announced functionality.

Native android emulation and improvements to WSL 2.0 are gonna be my cutover point, IMO.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug

Vic posted:

It worked, but google assistant's is not available on google appstore. And google home's not compatible with Android 11.

Welp.

I suspect that a lot of this will materialize over time in various forms of supported/unsupported setups.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug
You could also disable + re-enable it and simply choose not to backup your recovery key to OneDrive, even if you're using a MS account to login.

Like, sure Microsoft could just silently steal your keys despite not saying they're backing them up, but if you're at that level of distrust you need to be using something fully open source, because what's preventing MSFT from scraping your credit cards or SSNs or anything else at that point?

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug

DerekSmartymans posted:

I got SoundSwitch through (I think?) MS’s store, but if I didn’t I do know it was free. I switch between earphones w/microphone (3.5mm) to twenty year old speakers (single 3.5mm jack in front) by R Ctrl + NumPad0 and back. Took about twelve seconds to set up after finally configuring them correctly in Win10, but it’s very small and has never been faulty for at least since Win7.

Edit:
SS was free for Win10 update, I might have “donated” in 7.

Edit2:
Not sure if same “SoundSwitch” as other poster while on phone away from home.

Nthing Soundswitch, it's loving great. I got it for free but donated to the guy because it's radical.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug
I'll probably switch to 11 at some point, especially once they get the android stuff fully launched and all that, but I'm in no rush. I'll probably wait until I have a good reason.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug
Windows 11: The Have You Tried Desktop Linux thread

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I'm on Windows 10 but an update or two ago I noticed that my Bluetooth earbuds started to drop sound for a second here and there, not very often, seemingly at random. I'm not sure what to point at for this, and haven't done exhaustive troubleshooting since it is relatively rare and only mildly annoying. I don't know if that has any relation to the sound glitches being discussed or not.

Pretty sure the dropouts started after I enabled TPM, but couldn't swear to it.

I don't know if it's the same thing, but I figured out that my weird periodic sound hitching was due to my wallpaper changing, of all things.

Edit for more info: I had the windows built-in automatic wallpaper switching between a couple high-res wallpapers and something about that hitched my sound every time. Turned it off and it immediately stopped.

Falcon2001 fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Dec 7, 2021

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug

~Coxy posted:

I simply can't believe this. Windows search won't even find various programs that I have installed.

Everything is mandatory if you're a professional computer toucher.

I am a professional computer toucher for a long rear end time and I use the basic windows search. :shrug:

I do think it's probably a matter of indexing, because I have a vague memory of people being REALLY trigger happy on turning off indexing a few years ago.

Double Edit: For what it's worth I don't do a ton of like, file searching with it, to explain my use case, basically only programs. I generally store stuff in a reasonably understandable hierarchy that's easily traversable, and I don't typically need to actually search for anything. When I do, I just use the normal windows file search and wait, but it doesn't come up that often.

Falcon2001 fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Dec 8, 2021

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

ahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahaha are you loving serious. Oh to be young enough to not remember the days of "YOU HAVE TO PRESS 'START' TO STOP WHAT A lovely DESIGN" rage or the collective loving egg everyone laid when they saw XP for the first time

Yeah like Win11 seems like, not great, but boy this is not some weird outlier with Windows UI changes.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug
Does fast boot do the whole 'hey we rebooted and kept your open notepads or whatever'? Because that feature rules.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

I have a really weird setup which is Windows 10 running on a crt with a hacked video card driver so arcade games run at their intended resolutions which is usually too low for Windows

Anyway I also installed a hacked bios for the video card so you would get a picture during the post screen so in case you wanted to overclock or whatever. Anyway about two in ten times that I'd boot Windows I would get an oddly fuzzy interlaced image. I figured there's no way in hell anyone else on the planet ever had this problem and it turned out somehow that disabling fastboot fixes it.

Somewhere a Windows Core OS dev woke up in a cold sweat, filled with dread, and has no idea why.

Edit though: that does sound interesting though; is there a reason you can't do filterless upscaling to the nearest multiple?

Falcon2001 fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Jan 3, 2022

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug

Sickening posted:

I am finding win11 android apps compatibility was a tad oversold. The current state of the amazon app store (:aloom:) or sideloading other apps without the google play store is.... poo poo.

I don't even think it's in the main release yet, is it? Thought it was still insiders-only.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug

Shaocaholica posted:

Whats the go-to tool to get old start menu and task bar?

https://www.startallback.com/

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug

Kwolok posted:

Dumb question, and broad too so I apologize, is windows 11 a good upgrade option now? I mostly use my PC for gaming, and I have all the latest stuff including alder lake, would it be a good idea to make the switch to 11 or is there still stability/performance concerns?

I haven't seen much in the way of stability/performance concerns; mostly disagreements about whether or not the UX is terrible.

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/graphics-performance-win10-vs-win11 indicates that performance is basically identical, or at least close to it.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug
Even working at Microsoft, during my time there most of the folks I knew were baffled by some of the OS team's moves. (I wasn't in that area, different part of the company and no longer there). It was frustrating because like, the folks I knew and worked with were all pretty smart, sane people, I just don't get some of the dumb decisions around OS stuff that kept happening.

I think stuff like Windows Terminal preview and the Android emulation and WSL shows there's a lot of very interesting tech being done in that division, but someone's got poobrain real bad in the UX department.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug

codo27 posted:

I really hated the forced grouping but honestly the more I've used it the less I care. Right click menu is the biggest problem but none are worthy of the whining online and resistance to upgrading

Yeah I will say that this was me too; I forgot to reset it one time on a computer reinstall and got used to it after about a month.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug
Here's a dumb win11 thing:

PC Health Check says 'yeah you're all good to go!'
Windows update says 'doesn't meet minimum system requirements'.
Win 11 Installation assistant says 'yeah you're all good to go!'

Gonna move into it and see how much I like or dislike it.

Falcon2001 fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Apr 15, 2022

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug

Flipperwaldt posted:

There are third party tools like audioswitch or whatever. There was a need for this before the native widget could do it.

Honestly audioswitch is a lifesaver for me. Just being able to swap audio stuff with a hotkey is REALLY useful if you have headphones or anything.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug
I'm mostly enjoying Win11 - the control panel overhaul is much nicer than previous iterations, and a lot of the other problems just don't affect my use of Windows (I don't open the start menu with the mouse basically ever, etc). Having Microsoft Terminal as the default terminal is also REALLY nice.

However, boy howdy I loving hate the widgets bar. Not because it's a terrible idea; I mean widgets are a little mid-2000s era Android but still, there's some cool things you can do with them.

The problem? You can't disable the loving news. And guess what? The cost of possibly finding out about another terrible loving thing going on right now and ruining my day is not worth the upside of seeing a quick shortcut to the weather. So basically until they can offer the option to remove it, I'm just gonna ignore it. I submitted feedback too, hopefully it eventually stacks up.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug

Vic posted:

You mean like you can't disable them or you want widgets (lol they are terrible) but can't get rid of the news?

You can't keep the widgets without the news. I'm willing to at least gently caress around with widgets to see if they could be useful or interesting, but not at the expense of having to look at the goddamn news. You can totally disable the whole feature, but y'know, figured I'd give it a shot.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug
https://defrag.shiplift.dev/ Re-experience it for yourself right now!

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug
I wonder if they're targeting high-dpi screens, because on my 4k monitor the icons/etc. are all pretty dang small without any modifications (at 100% DPI scale at least.)

For my part and personal opinion: I've been pretty happy with Win11 for the most part - see my widget rant on this page or last page. I don't think there's any killer reason to upgrade yet if you're not looking for the stuff that WSL2/etc gets you, but I think a lot of people would be fine, (or would be fine after StartAllBack).

Things I like at least:

The settings app is a big step up from the Win8+ version they've failed to integrate for years.

Windows Terminal being able to set as default is a big win for sure.

The Linux GUI stuff is really cool. I don't have a good use for it yet, but it's super cool. When they can get proper window snapping working I'll probably upgrade at work to fix up some dumb filesystem sync issues between Linux/windows.

The general UI changes for windows/etc all feel fine to me. I kind of like the new coat of paint, and it hasn't broken anything major for me.

The right click menu stuff is actually a plus for me at least; over time in Win10 I had a bunch of stuff just add itself to the right click menu that I never used, and 99% of the time I'm doing one of the things that's on the right-click menu natively. I wish it was a flyout instead of a click, though.

Things I don't really like:

I don't like the start menu changes - although notably I didn't like it in Win10 either; I just hit winkey to search for something to launch. I have noticed that searching kind of sucks; I might switch to Everything. One positive here is that it's not doing web searches anymore at least - I had disabled this in Win10 but I assume it would have re-enabled itself in Win11, but maybe I'm wrong.

They removed the media Now Playing thingy from Win8 when you change the volume, which is a bit of a bummer - it's in the Winkey+A menu now, and it was nice to just go 'oh what song is this' and hit the volume button to find it.

They also changed the volume control so you can't just click it and start scrolling the mouse, you have to mouseover the volume slider first. I have an autohotkey script that does this for me anyway so it's not...common? But yeah I find myself going 'goddamnit' when I'm trying to change the volume with just the mouse.

The whole widgets bar is a failure; but at least that's not a change of something I was using, just a new feature I'm not going to touch.

Falcon2001 fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Jun 3, 2022

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug
Other minor Win11 things (I upgraded a few weeks ago on my primary gaming machine):

WSLGui is a thing; you can run X11 apps forwarded to Windows that mostly behave like native apps. This is...of dubious value, frankly (given that Linux's GUI apps are basically not worth using over windows alternatives), and they don't do window snapping, which is for me at least a must, but there's a bug for it I've been keeping an eye on (on github) so that should be fixed at some point. However, it might be useful for you?

I do think the settings menus are a solid improvement over Win10, probably the strongest single 'yes this is definitively better', but that's not a strong reason to upgrade, more of a bonus.

The monitors remembering where they are when they get turned off/etc is also a solid improvement for some folks (my monitor, for example, loves to suddenly start acting up periodically so I have to power cycle it - on Win10 this would mean that any games/etc would get shunted to the secondary monitor and I'd have to restart them to get them back to primary. Win11 just magically handles it with no problems.)

I think the UI is basically something you'll get used to pretty quickly. There's a few missing features though, so that's a bummer if you're affected by it. I wonder if StartAllBack fixes all that stuff or not, so that's a consideration if the actual improvements are a plus for you but the UX is dealbreaker.

IMO I'd stick with Win10 for now until you have a good reason to move.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug

Unsinkabear posted:

Does anyone know of a replacement taskbar/launcher that allows the system tray to be usable on every monitor's taskbar?

The option to have your primary taskbar and monitor be different is gone, and the other workarounds do not work.

You can probably try StartAllBack - looks like it has some sort of trial option?

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug

hooah posted:

What version are you on? I haven't seen tabbed Explorer yet on the regular channel.

Yeah this is an upcoming thing; so either they're on preview or they're about to launch and are flighting it out.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug
I know I don't have to, but I really kind of enjoy a periodic deep clean back to basics, so I do a fresh reinstall every few years.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug

barnold posted:

how does the Win11 thread manage to attract so many goons who evidently have not used windows since ME lol registry files?? come on

I think the long and short of it is that you learn stuff once and then never have it challenged. Like why would someone that learned registry files were a problem back in the ME/XP days think differently if they haven't gone and done the research? And who has time to research every assumption they've ever learned?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--cHILkVUtw

Huh, didn't realize they had released this. I used some of the PowerApps stuff before and this is kind of neat.