Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

barnold posted:

gently caress it i'm installing Windows 12

I don't think Microsoft's ever used a single naming scheme more than two releases in a row. The next version of Windows will be called XII or 11.1 or Puma Retriever or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Dick Trauma posted:

GET
ON
MY
LEVEL

I love how if you didn't notice the 2000/XP in one corner it would look exactly like a box of household cleaner.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Blue Footed Booby posted:

I get the feeling the Windows team is such a shambling mess they literally can't write software from scratch anymore. Every time they do a clean sheet redo the result is terrible, and improvements come extremely slowly.

It reminds me of that comment from an MS employee regarding that font install dialog from Windows 3.1 that stuck around until like Win7. He said that basically any change takes about a hundred man-hours of red tape to get it through the approval process. So devs tie themselves in knots to avoid fixing things that aren't their personal priority one, since they'd have to hold its hand through the entire nightmare approval process. If you tie yourself to something that won't help you advance, it becomes a digital albatross.

I'm using the latest version of Office and it's still using that exact same lovely Insert Symbol dialog from Word 95 that randomly breaks and decides it's not going to accept keyboard or mouse input for actually, you know, selecting the symbols. All you can do is jump up or down a full page at a time using the scrollbar and hope the cursor lands on the symbol you want.

At least since Word 2000 or so you can type in a hexcode in the bottom right and maybe guesstimate your way to the value of the symbol. But considering the symbols aren't at contiguous hexcodes, you have to play a game of 20 questions just to move halfway along a row.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Rexxed posted:

My grandfather worked at the Windows 10 factory making updates for it past the end of support date. What update would he have given me for my birthday in December of 2025?

One weird trick bing developers don't want you to know!!!

As a language model, I can provide a hypothetical prediction for what your grandfather might have given you as an update for Windows 10 past its end of support date in December 2025.

Given the current trend of increasing focus on cybersecurity and data privacy, it is possible that your grandfather may have created an update that enhances the security features of Windows 10. This could include new encryption technologies, improved firewalls, and more robust anti-malware tools to protect against cyber attacks.

Another possibility could be an update that improves the overall performance and stability of Windows 10, making it more efficient and faster to use. This could involve optimizing system resources, streamlining the user interface, and fixing bugs and glitches that may have gone unnoticed during the official support period.

Of course, these are just hypothetical predictions, and there is no way to know for sure what your grandfather might have come up with as an update for Windows 10 beyond its end of support date.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

namlosh posted:

LOL

I was speaking with a 16 year old the other day and he said he knew python. I asked him what IDE he used and he told me a website and then mentioned he hated Scratch.

Nothing students do these days is local on a computer. Zip, zilch, nada

I find it sad but don’t blame them at all. I just try to help open their eyes

Textbooks aren’t even a thing in TX

I understand that completely. I hate installing IDEs and configuring dev environments and precisely setting folder structures and path variables with the passion of a thousand burning suns.

Indiana_Krom posted:

That or the whole tower is the "hard drive".

Oh, you mean the CPU? :smuggo: