Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

my partner has a Ryzen 5 3600x cpu and I believe it’s supported by windows 11 but windows tells her it can’t be updated yet :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

microsoft is utilizing Telemetry to make sure that features used by a smaller subset of people go away. this is called "data-driven development" and it means you can go gently caress yourself if you want that feature

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Yeah if Paint is running slow then I'd immediately think about throttling or something hogging the cpu being the issue

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

kirbysuperstar posted:

WORKS GREAT THANK YOU
Lol

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

buglord posted:

Still can’t believe windows 7 came out 9 years ago. Time flies.

You mean 15 years ago? Unless you meant Windows 10, which came out 8 years ago..

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Seconded. Mods, make it so.

Thirded

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Didn’t they introduce grouped taskbar items as the default in like Windows 7? Not to defend MS too much, but I doubt maintaining a legacy setting in their primary multitasking dock is as easy as keeping a few check boxes around.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Anyone else having an issue with StartAllBack's version of the start bar not showing on top of all windows? Or is that the expected behavior?

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Yeah whut. The start menu is the only thing that seems a bit “laggy” to me, but it’s been that way since win 10?

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

No.. no..!

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Windows can boot from an external drive now? I always remember having trouble doing that

Sorry haven’t been following the conversation well if that’s already been discussed

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

I’m annoyed you can’t move the weather widget on the taskbar to over where it should be and where it was in win 10: by the date/time.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Immutable windows when?

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

It's a good 1

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

down1nit posted:

You absolutely can disable Co-Pilot just ask it how. If you want something gone in windows, there's at least a hundred youtube videos about removing it. This is windows ffs, not macos.

This reads like a r/walkaway post where the person pretends to get outraged at something that causes them to "leave their political party"

I think people are just tired of ms bundling a bunch of crapware no one wants into its OS. if it was just copilot, there probably wouldnt be a lot of annoyance, but there's a lot of junk now

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Old laptops and old portable devices in general are disgusting

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Quackles posted:

Recently, my job gave me a new (Dell Precision) laptop, running W11. It mostly works fine except: I was in the habit of leaving my old laptop (W10) asleep overnight.

If I try that with my new one, it won't start in the morning - the power button starts something in there but won't fully wake it up, and I have to hard shutdown it before starting again.

What do?

We’ve had a very similar issue with a couple newer dell laptops at my job recently. Not sure what’s up with them, but maybe there’s a bad firmware version floating around?

I can ask IT at work tomorrow.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

E: nvm

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

I removed the Xbox game bar overlay thing in Windows 11 and now a dialog pops up when I play games saying it’s missing and I have to dismiss it each time now. Good stuff

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Thankfully since Windows is primarily only good for gaming these days, it should be fine. you likely don’t need to encrypt your Steam directory.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

If start all back stops working, I’m gonna be pissed,

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

I ended up buying MakeMKV since I use it quite a bit these days

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

I only use my windows pc for games and I still can’t stand the new start menu.

It just feels slow and lovely compared to the third party ones.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Yeah I think this conversation started with Microsoft newly attempting to block apps like that (specifically, StartAllBack? I think).

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

kirbysuperstar posted:

They're not even 'blocked' it's just "hey uninstall or rename these you can revert it the update"

I’m sorry, what does this mean?

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Microsoft seemingly knows that some people won’t be able to upgrade and they are graciously going to let customers pay a yearly fee to keep using Windows 10

https://www.theverge.com/2023/12/5/23988896/microsoft-windows-10-extended-security-updates-consumers-paid

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Ah, Microsoft must have heard us complaining about the start menu.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

doctorfrog posted:

Sooner or later it's gonna be a popular aesthetic for digital images to fake dithering and feathering artifacts or whatever, right up there with Insta filters. If they don't exist already.

It’s already happening, a subset of zoomers carry around what they call “digicams” just to get that authentic 00s “aesthetic”

Source: some article written by an old person like us

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Klyith posted:

The second one seems ok, the built-in apps it removes are generally worthless and safe to remove. Just look over the list and see if you want to keep some things. (Or remove things that it defaults to keeping -- I always uninstalled the Photos app because I used a different image viewer and Photos would sometimes force itself back.)

I’m pretty sure I’ve used this to remove pre installed apps before and it works great except if you remove the Xbox game overlay, some games may complain it’s missing every time you launch them, which may get annoying after a while.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Klyith posted:

It apparently has fixed that, as the game overlay is now on the keep list and the only xbox thing on the remove list is an old app that's not used anymore.

Game bar / xbox overlay is actually pretty important for performance if you have a recent intel CPU, it detects games and keeps them from using the slow E cores.

That’s good to know, thanks. I eventually reinstalled it just because I was tired of dismissing the dialog in some games lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

It’s be cool if you could browse your file system in Edge. Couldn’t you do that in like IE 4 (and probably earlier)?