Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

CoolCab posted:

right exactly, to him the idea of constantly running a GUI in ubuntu was a huge waste of resources, let alone running windows 11. you're basically setting up some flavour of NAS and unix is nearly universally considered the superior server OS. that was my initial plan too, leave enough of a normal computer running so i could remote into it on the local network and do admin or whatever, but that was his reaction.

I might be off base but I don't think having GUI packages installed on an Ubuntu server will use significant resources outside of a bit of disk space. That is, unless you actually log into a GUI user session and then you're making use of the GUI so isn't it worth it? In my mind the main reason to avoid it would just be additional package dependencies and update complexity.

Anecdotally, I know you can run Kubuntu 22.04 just fine on an Atom with 2GB of memory and 16GB eMMC. Plex doesn't use much memory, so I think it'd take a pretty marginal configuration for a desktop environment to make a difference. Also I run Fedora KDE on my Plex server and use it to listen to music/shitpost while on my exercise bike and I've never seen any issues, but I use an i5-10400 with 16GB of memory so it'd be pretty dire if KDE resource use was a problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
All of the poo poo with trying to force the MS account, push Office 365 and other premium add-ons, and bundle in a bunch of ancillary third-party apps is pretty inexcusable, especially since there are still a lot of advanced configuration interfaces (Device Manager, Disk Management, enterprise WPA, etc.) which are using the old Windows 7-style UI and haven't had their features brought forward into the new Settings UI yet even though they're more work to access than they were before.

I don't like the Windows 11 CPU "requirements" either, but I will say that if you use Rufus to bypass the install restrictions then so far it seems completely trouble free. I have a Broadwell tablet and a Zen+ HTPC running 11 and both work just as well as they did on 10. It makes me wonder if the rumored Windows 12 will relax restrictions somewhat, because otherwise Microsoft is going to be looking at a lot of machines which are still live at 10's EoL date and unable to upgrade. Feels somewhat reminiscent of the Vista launch.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
I would have preferred if they left things alone for the most part, but the incompleteness and inconsistency is what frustrates me most. The situation may have improved but at one point I was stuck using the "Set up a new connection" wizard to configure EAP authentication, and if I made a mistake there was no clear way to change just one setting - only to delete the whole thing and recreate it from scratch.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

Thanks Ants posted:

Also any battery in a 2-year old laptop will be a piece of poo poo.

Greatly depends on how good of a battery it is and how much abuse it's taken in terms of temperature and cycles.

I have a Latitude E7270 which I bought refurbished in 2016. I mostly use a desktop or my work laptop so it has spent 95% of its time docked, and the chassis has plenty of space to exhaust heat. Therefore, the original battery still lasts several hours (reports 96.5% of design capacity).

My wife has a refurb XPS 9370 from 2018, and after a few years of use the battery was pretty trashed - around half design capacity - because it's a really tight chassis that stays warm while in use and she put a lot of cycles on it. We've replaced it once already and will probably do so again if the rest of the machine continues to hold up.

I've had several Thinkpads from work and their batteries seem to last a long time as well, except interestingly the last two have been X1 Carbons and both went/are going through a gradual but clear decline. My current G9 is a year and a half old and its battery is only rated for ~83% design capacity at this point, despite having lived most of its life on a dock as well. I assume this is mostly because of the cooling limitations of the tight chassis.

Regardless, a good business laptop which isn't something ultra-thin (and maybe even then) should have a battery replacement process that isn't too arduous.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

mobby_6kl posted:

A big issue is being left at 100% charge for long periods of time especially at higher temperatures:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4lvDGtfI9U&t=64s

Do you have the charge threshold enabled on the Thinkpads? I've had it set at 70% for about half of the laptop's life and it's at 85% of design capacity after 150 cycles. Which actually I'm not sure is very great but maybe it would've been worse otherwise :v:

No, but it's a good idea especially on the P14s I bought for myself a few months ago. The work laptops are 3 year leases so I only get them for about 33 months before work sends me a new one, and even if the battery is worn down to 65% or so by that point like my old X1 was it's not really an issue. I pretty much never need the whole battery capacity though so I might as well set them to 80%.

e: I never noticed before that Vantage tells you the wattage of your PD adapter if you're plugged in. Neat to see my 4-port charger renegotiate at different power levels as I plug and unplug the other ports.

Eletriarnation fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Feb 1, 2024

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
Sure. This is from the X1 Carbon 9th gen (e: I guess you can get that from the picture lol), plugged into a TB4 dock with a massive 230W 20V brick. It's reporting 92W:

My P14s plugged into a TB3 dock with a standard 135W brick reports 65W. If I try it with my 4-port adapter which has 3 other devices plugged in, I get 45W. I can then unplug one of those and see it drop for a second, renegotiate, and come back at 60W. I tried it with a couple other adapters - a power strip with a 65W port, and a 30W port in a wall outlet. Both reported the rated values.

I agree that it's a really neat feature and I wish there were vendor-agnostic software for it, but the fact that I can't find one makes me think it could be some kind of driver secret sauce.

Eletriarnation fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Feb 2, 2024

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
Yeah, it's definitely reporting the PD negotiation and not any kind of actual power calculation. The number is completely static with a single port charger and the changes I'm seeing on the multiport charger when plugging/unplugging are expected behavior for splitting a 120W total maximum across ports which can individually go up to 100W.

Also - not only is it reporting the charger's full rated wattage when the laptop is charged and idling, but you probably couldn't get an X1 to draw 92W if you were running Furmark and Prime95 at the same time with phones charging off every USB port. I have a few wattmeter cables and a USB power tester and the most I've ever seen either Thinkpad draw is like 58-59W when it's in use and has a low battery. Both come with 65W chargers so that tracks.

HWiNFO64 seems to do pretty well tracking actual charge/discharge wattage from the battery's perspective with all the laptops I've checked recently, but it doesn't say squat about the charger's capabilities as far as I can tell.

Eletriarnation fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Feb 2, 2024

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
If you go to the volume mixer and turn down each application which you want to be quieter, then they will remain at that proportion of main volume as you adjust it up and down. You could set them all to 25% and see how that works for you. I tend to do this for system volume since I dislike loud beeps from backspacing in PuTTY or plugging/unplugging USB devices.

Unfortunately, this is also something that you will have to replicate on every device you use.

Eletriarnation fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Feb 7, 2024

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
I mean, if your computer is new enough to officially support Windows 11 and upgrade to it - like six years old, absolute tops - but the WiFi card doesn't have a Windows 11 driver, it feels like the chance of there being a working Linux driver out of the box is not incredible either. I am pretty confident that Intel and Mediatek are better than that, but Realtek has a bunch of random chipsets out there which are liable to work only with the specific installer stub that the board manufacturer provides with them. Not sure if there are any other common chipset OEMs at this point. If that's the case and the laptop isn't too much of a pain to open up, I would be inclined to just replace the M.2 card with a supported one.

Not that this excuses the 11 upgrade going ahead without your consent, but it does have echoes of the Vista situation where Microsoft gets the blame for every random printer or sound card which didn't work anymore after the upgrade because the manufacturer stopped caring about that model in 1998.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
Well, again, I do blame them for the upgrade happening on its own - it shouldn't even propose the upgrade to you without giving you a warning about any drivers which will be unsupported afterwards.

As for the basic concept of "you upgraded to a too-new release of the base OS and now your old-rear end unsupported hardware doesn't work," I don't think that it's realistic to expect Microsoft to support drivers for hardware that they didn't produce or sell - especially closed source binary blobs, which I don't see how they could support even if they wanted to. Linux has the same problem on occasion, even with open-source drivers if there's no one interested in maintaining them anymore. You can blame MS for it if that makes you feel better, but I don't think anyone should be surprised by it or expect it to change anytime soon.

e: In some cases the driver doesn't work because the hardware OEM is openly taking the opportunity to try to force you to buy more hardware. I have a USB-serial adapter based on a Prolific chipset which works fine in Windows 10, but after upgrading to 11 the device ID string in Device Manager straight up tells you that it's not supported in Windows 11 and to get the newer model instead. You can easily get it working again by manually telling Windows 11 to use the old driver, though.

Eletriarnation fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Mar 21, 2024

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
Yeah, I can understand why they wanted to introduce a bunch of always-on security features and not have carve-outs for machines which don't support them. I can also understand that they don't want to commit to writing patches to accommodate >10 years old hardware with this new OS for the foreseeable future. As we've seen from Windows 11 now refusing to install on Core 2 machines because they don't have the POPCNT command, this stuff can matter and I don't think that Microsoft should have to deal with it forever.

All that said, a 10 year old computer - desktop, especially - is still fine for a lot of tasks. My cousin still plays games on an LGA1366 system that I originally built in 2008. Hell, now that it has an RX 6600 it runs BG3 well enough for him to be happy with it. While the end is near for that particular platform with more games requiring AVX these days, I still don't see myself just throwing it away once he upgrades. I still run a Skylake laptop as a TV computer, a Sandy Bridge desktop for ripping/re-encoding optical discs, and a Broadwell tablet as a supplementary monitor to my main desktop. While I have the wherewithal to put Linux on them (or install 11 with Rufus, assuming it keeps working), a lot of people are just going to either junk PCs that old or leave them running 10 without updates. It would be nice if MS had a way to extend the long-tail updates that we know they're producing anyway to personal systems which are unable to ever upgrade to 11 legitimately.

Last Chance posted:

Microsoft seemingly knows that some people won’t be able to upgrade and they are graciously going to let customers pay a yearly fee to keep using Windows 10

https://www.theverge.com/2023/12/5/23988896/microsoft-windows-10-extended-security-updates-consumers-paid

Yeah, like... I get this for organizations, if you're running some industrial device or data logger which is too expensive to update to a new controller then it might well make perfect sense to just pay a few hundred more to keep patching 10 instead. When it comes to individuals, I can't see many people saying "I could buy a new computer with Windows 11 for a few hundred bucks, but instead I'll pay a few hundred bucks to keep getting patches on this one instead." They'll just keep running 10 unpatched like they did with XP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
Right, the 1st gen Ryzens aren't officially supported in Windows 11. That doesn't mean you can't run it - I have a Broadwell tablet sitting in front of me which is running 11 just fine, and that's a couple generations prior to official support. It will probably keep working just fine, but if 25H2 or whatever just refuses to install then Microsoft is going to shrug and say "yeah, what did you expect" - that's the chance you take.

Eletriarnation fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Apr 12, 2024