Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

beuges
Jul 4, 2005
fluffy bunny butterfly broomstick

Cao Ni Ma posted:

I honestly I think that whoever came up with the TPM decision just had their asses completely stuck in corporate world because the vast majority of consumer computers dont come with a tpm module while just about every computer bought for a corp has one.

I’m guessing they are wanting to keep up with Apple on the privacy front here. Apple makes a big deal about how their keys are all stored in their Secure Enclave so not even they can access data on a device. I guess the non-apple equivalent is a TPM2 and by requiring it rather than making it optional, there’s no uncertainty as to whether your device keys are secured or not based on your particular hardware configuration.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beuges
Jul 4, 2005
While I’m sure the 2020 XPS with an i71165G7 I bought a month ago will have no trouble meeting the Win11 minimum requirements, it would be nice if the tool would tell me that. But I’m running Win10 Enterprise so it says I need to speak to my system administrator instead. I’m the system administrator and I don’t know.

Pretty absurd to not just say, yes your hardware will run Win11 but your organization may have additional requirements that may block you from running it, instead of refusing to give any info whatsoever.

beuges
Jul 4, 2005

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I also have a shortcut to Task Manager on my desktop.

Or just be like me and auto launch it on startup because otherwise the System Interrupts process uses up 100% of the cpu, but doesn’t if task manager is running for some reason.

beuges
Jul 4, 2005

DerekSmartymans posted:

If I could click a “Theme” button to change colors and cursors, why can’t I have “remastered GUI” button to run a Win98 SE style GUI? Tinkering with settings for computer nerds is almost as popular as for gaming nerds (lots of overlap).

Because MS would have to spend a lot of time and money and resources to maintain 5 different UIs. Which will have one or more of the following outcomes:
- people will complain that they are spending time maintaining a Win98 ui when Explorer still doesn’t have tabs/Task Manager still doesn’t have dark mode/The volume control Popup still doesn’t have rounded corners/whatever
- people will complain that the Windows 98 UI doesn’t support all of the fancy new features that are available in the Win11 UI despite those features not existing in win98
- MS will not pay as much attention to the Win98 UI and it will break in strange ways and people will get mad that their 23 year old interface is not working as they want it to
- MS will complain that maintaining support for the Win98 ui is preventing them from implementing new features and functionality that they need to implement, so they are dropping support for the old ui.

Maintaining software uses a lot of resources and costs a lot of money. That’s why MS made win10 free (and used some dodgy practices to try and force as many people on to it as possible) - it was all to get people off older versions and onto the current one, so they don’t have to spend as much time maintaining older versions of Windows. Maintaining multiple versions of Windows is effort enough, trying to make sure that multiple versions of the UI can coexist on the same code base is extremely challenging - every change you make has to now be assessed for how it will impact 5 different shells instead of just making sure it works on the current one, which leads to either
- things not getting implemented for fear of unknown side effects,
- things taking 10x as long to implement because of all the refactoring that’s needed to ensure that all of the coexisting versions aren’t negatively impacted, or
- things being done in convoluted and fragile ways to try and work around the intricacies of each of the versions that need to coexist, resulting in more instability and bugs

At some point you need to decide if it’s really that important to cling to a ui that’s decades old, or to try to adapt to things that may not be as big a deal as you expect.

beuges
Jul 4, 2005

Hungry Computer posted:

Of course right after I posted yesterday that there were no builds in the Release Preview channel: https://blogs.windows.com/windows-insider/2021/09/16/announcing-windows-11-insider-preview-build-22000-194/

I’ve been trying to download the beta channel iso from the link in the blog post for the past 2 days and keep getting an error. Is it working for anyone else?

beuges
Jul 4, 2005

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

Deleting that update orchestra exe always worked well for me.

It downloads and installs automatically, it just never reboots unless you manually do so

The Something Awful Forums > Serious Hardware/Software Crap > Windows 11: I swear I know what I’m doing

beuges
Jul 4, 2005
The biggest problem that I can see is that MS is yet again forgetting that the world is not just the USA. Not sure how many markets Amazon sells their android devices in but it’s definitely a lot fewer than say Huawei who have their own App Store as well. So the vast majority of Windows users are going to be stuck not having access to apps they have on their phone because MS partnered with Amazon.

I really hope they have their own App Store in the works and the Amazon partnership is just to gain momentum for the feature. Google would never lift a finger to help MS so a direct integration with the Play Store won’t happen. I wouldn’t be surprised if future Android versions introduce some subtle incompatibility that makes apps work nicely on phones but not on WSA.

beuges
Jul 4, 2005

WattsvilleBlues posted:

I asked something similar a few weeks back out of curiosity. I genuinely don't know how people get malware on their machines just doing regular browsing.

Would a Linux distro be a good choice?

The only time (I know of) that I got infected by malware was while browsing around 2013. Went to a site with a bad ad, as soon as the page loaded I saw command prompts opening and weird things happening. Nowadays it should be harder for that to happen but malicious ads are still a common exploit method.

beuges
Jul 4, 2005
All I have to say about the taskbar is that I’ve had mine docked to the right for 15-20 years, even in macOS on my MacBook, and after a day of using windows 11 the fact that the taskbar is locked to the bottom stopped mattering any more.

I would love it if they reintroduced the ability to dock it to the right, and the explanation about it being complicated for apps to deal with handling the reflow is absurd, given that they have had to deal with the same issues ever since 1995, but until then I can accept that I will need to change my workflow every now and then.

I also think it’s ridiculous that so many people itt have this idea that every newcomer to windows 11 must install StartAllBack or whatever the minute they complete the upgrade or they will end up losing their minds and flinging their computers out the window because the new taskbar is going to give them rabies or turn them into a serial killer.

For the very vast majority of users, the changes will be a minor annoyance that they will adjust to within hours or days. And advising users who are not tech savvy to install a start/taskbar replacement is often going to end up causing more problems in the long run, because those will be the same people who forget they have a start replacement installed, and they be completely lost when they try to search for solutions to issues with the start menu or taskbar and get nowhere because they should be searching for issues in StartAllBack or whatever instead.

In short, give it a week with an open mind, and if you cannot adjust then by all means change whatever you like… but if you actually try to use the new interface you’ll probably realise that it’s actually not as bad as some people make it out to be.

beuges
Jul 4, 2005

Nolgthorn posted:

When an app crashes and windows takes a million milliseconds to compile a report about it while giving you the option to cancel, is there a way to disable that and say "just exit the app if it crashed all the time you dumbass it is almost 99.99% of the time the app maintainer's fault".

But that report is also how the app maintainer would get the details of what caused the crash so they can fix it

beuges
Jul 4, 2005
Cross posting from the windows thread since it seems to be dead now

beuges posted:

I have a low powered spare laptop that would ideally be better suited as an extra screen to my main laptop than a separate machine. Is there any sort of software that will treat a separate pc as an extra screen?

beuges
Jul 4, 2005

Tiny Timbs posted:

I've been using the Windows Mail app on my desktop/laptop and Outlook on my phone, and after having multiple issues with people not seeing images I'm attaching to emails it seems like something with Microsoft's attachment handling system is straight up busted (again). Has anyone else seen this kind of issue? I switched back to the iOS app on my phone and I guess I'll have to find a replacement for the PCs because I can't stand web apps.

I’ve had issues with outlook on macOS not attaching files properly when sending from a gmail account. Not sure if that might be related but outlook definitely has had issues with attachments in the past

beuges
Jul 4, 2005
Microsoft dev probably just fed a huge list of strings into chatgpt and asked it to translate all the strings into different languages and then just updated the translations in windows without checking anything

beuges
Jul 4, 2005

Klyith posted:

if that were the case, they'd be looking at the version of the app to block:

https://twitter.com/StartIsBack/status/1776555154701205877

which they are not, the check is just "startallback*.exe" = blocked

also it says for security not compatibility
and there was zero communication about it to the authors

nah mate I see zero goodwill for MS on this one. obviously it's a light block since you can just rename it to quack.exe to make the thing work again. but for some reason MS is actively trying to discourage use of these tools.

I’ve never seen this sort of info before but don’t those screenshots literally show that the block applies up to some version number? So all the devs need to do is to rebuild with a higher version number, after hopefully fixing whatever bugs are causing MS to block them? The dev is focusing on the *startallback* entry while ignoring the very next line that says “block up to version 5.x.y.z”

And MS allows devs to subscribe to crash reports for their apps. I don’t know if it’s their responsibility to be contacting everyone whose apps are unstable or not, but I’d imagine if I was building software that relied on mucking about with internal undocumented operating system data it would be in my best interest to keep track of if my software is breaking users machines or not.
People are going to respond to this saying that MS added the app to their blocklist so they could have contacted the dev at the same time. I’m pretty sure that block list is a) huge and b) derived from crash report telemetry which just has raw executable and process info in it, which doesn’t contain helpful info like the authors email address.

beuges
Jul 4, 2005

Klyith posted:

(And even the acceptable block should have an opt-out. Nobody who runs this poo poo is confused about why their system is less stable and complaining to MS.)

Hard disagree. Every other article or thread about W11 invariably has a “you should install start*back immediately to unfuck the idiot pathetic win11 taskbar, trust me don’t even bother with that standard garbage, you’ll thank me later for keeping your sanity” comment somewhere. And loads of clueless people are just gonna install it based on recommendation without even knowing what it does even if they would be perfectly happy with the default taskbar. They will absolutely not realise that this software that was recommended to them by the trusty commenters on the internet is what is causing their system to crash all the time, and they will guaranteed assume it’s just crappy microshaft with another version of winblows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beuges
Jul 4, 2005

VelociBacon posted:

Imagine making this popup and not just allowing the behavior....

The reason is that an application can define multiple drop targets which will react to the file differently. E.g. you have an app with a bunch of windows inside it, each representing a separate folder. Dropping a file in a window copies the file to that folder. The app is minimised and you drag the file onto the taskbar icon instead. Which folder does the file get copied into?
If you drag the file over the taskbar button and just hold it there, it will bring that app to the foreground and you can then drop it in the right place. But if you just drop it on the taskbar button it can’t do anything. Since you probably expected it to do something not realising the technical reasons why it’s not possible, they pop up that info box instead of just ignoring your drop action on the taskbar button entirely