Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

My senior mom almost got drat near taken in by one of those windows defender pushed pop-ups that say OMG BIG PROBLEMS a few months back.

She uses FF with uBlock. I think she said she was looking for a user manual for her snowblower or something.

Anyhow, she called and got as far letting them remote in and she got wise, turned her computer off and called me.

She normally wouldn't have been taken in as I've drilled safe browsing pretty hard into her, but her husband passed a couple months earlier and was pretty frazzled and not entirely with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Windows 12 will be built with a foundation of AI, require a VR headset with haptic feedback controllers to ensure the full synergistic MS Windows experience.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I've got a several year old surface pro... I think 2017. It's running an i5-7300u w/8GB

It is saying I can't run 11 through standard updates.

I have 11 on a couple of other PCs and don't really mind it. Any practical downside to doing one of those "force 11" on it hacks?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Thanks guys. I think I'll do it over Christmas.

kirbysuperstar posted:

Yeah just install it anyway, use Rufus to make a USB and use its CPU bypass or whatever. I have the same Surface Pro and the only thing that's been an issue is that Windows update won't do the big builds like 22H2 on its own, but also once 11 is on there the media creation tool will happily update-install those versions without caring about the CPU requirement
Since you have one, did you do a fresh install? I assume no problems with the Surface bringing in surface-specific driver updates?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

slidebite posted:

I've got a several year old surface pro... I think 2017. It's running an i5-7300u w/8GB

It is saying I can't run 11 through standard updates.

I have 11 on a couple of other PCs and don't really mind it. Any practical downside to doing one of those "force 11" on it hacks?

So going back to this old post, I downloaded the ISO and created a boot USB with Rufus as was recommended.

I'm actually following the Explaining Computers how to.. I love this guys channel as I wanted to do this to the old Surface 5 this week.

But, in doing so, I came across this guy, explaining how easy it is to do on unsupported hardware via mounting the ISO and running the Win 11 Server install via command line. Looks like you can do it in a way to do an upgrade and not lose your files and such.
https://youtu.be/ug__CVQQQsc?si=QaDbfe9MnH7FoLsm

I think I might give that a shot first. I am prepared to do a full nuke/install, but it would be nice if it didn't.

Any reason not to try the upgrade method in the ^ link first?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

slidebite posted:

So going back to this old post, I downloaded the ISO and created a boot USB with Rufus as was recommended.

I'm actually following the Explaining Computers how to.. I love this guys channel as I wanted to do this to the old Surface 5 this week.

But, in doing so, I came across this guy, explaining how easy it is to do on unsupported hardware via mounting the ISO and running the Win 11 Server install via command line. Looks like you can do it in a way to do an upgrade and not lose your files and such.
https://youtu.be/ug__CVQQQsc?si=QaDbfe9MnH7FoLsm

I think I might give that a shot first. I am prepared to do a full nuke/install, but it would be nice if it didn't.

Any reason not to try the upgrade method in the ^ link first?
FWIW, I did that install via the 2nd method of running a server install via command line, and it worked perfectly.

So far at least.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Annath posted:

Hey there.

So, I run Win10 on my personal computer. I have to use 11 on my work laptop, and I loathe the UI changes, so I've been putting off updating.

However, I acknowledge that I probably should go ahead and pull the trigger.

My questions:

1. Am I able to just upgrade the OS without a full wipe? I have a lot of stuff set up that I don't want to redo, which a full wipe would require.

2. Are there any notable applications that aren't working with 11?

3. Is there a way to get rid of the UI changes. Or really all the user-facing changes. Like, can I essentially make this "Windows 10 with 11 under the hood".

I'd still be running Win7 if it was still supported tbh, even 10 was a downgrade imo.

FWIW, I just did an upgrade in place a few days ago on my old Surface pro 5 (7 gen, unsupported even) and it was super smooth. Didn't lose anything, all files/apps there. Just needed to configure some aesthetics things and uninstall some 11 crap.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

It was there and uninstallable.

Also various other things I never use on that device, like office, other various bits of shovelware.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Not sure if this is a Win11 thing or a surface Pro thing, but if I turn on the surface, I get to the W11 login/password screen and if I don't enter something in like 15-30 sec, the screen goes black like it's sleep. Touching a key/touchpad instantly wakes it. I'd like it to stay on for a few minutes at least though.

Is there a setting for this? I looked in the power management/screen saver settings and nothing seems to impact it.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I get that behavior on at least one of my W10 desktops, and if anything I think my Win11 laptops are a little better about giving me a loving second to actually log in. Actually, the one with Windows Hello is really nice about that, since it will look for me for a bit before deciding I didn't REALLY want to log in right now and gently caress off to black screen land.
I think my win10 Surface Pro is actually a little better lol

So any idea where the "setting" for this would be hidden? It's not the "sleep" setting or anything I can see in power management.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I have a work laptop (no admin privileges) and just crappy built in speakers. When I watch a multimedia presentation (like PowerPoint ) or video in a browser, full volume is not nearly loud enough, but I swear to God, opening a vid on LinkedIn the volume somehow goes up 400% louder than normal max and it sounds like I'm at a loving live concert.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Awesome man! I'll try this tonight. I really appreciate it.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

insanelightman posted:

You have to enable it in the registry for it show up in the power plan options

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Power\PowerSettings\7516b95f-f776-4464-8c53-06167f40cc99\8EC4B3A5-6868-48c2-BE75-4F3044BE88A7

Change the "Attributes" key from "1" to "2"

Then open advanced power settings and it will be under Display>Console lock display off timeout

Confirmed worked, thanks man.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

e: Nvmd - misunderstood question

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

corgski posted:

I disabled the TPM module in my BIOS to block it. Seems to have worked so far.
Oh, I'll have to do that.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Disk Genius should do what you want

https://www.diskgenius.com/free.php

And here is a video from the explaining computers guy on how to use it to image/clone

https://youtu.be/1gTJw8ehkVc?si=QWfIU5l9FpCFRPVz&t=343

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

My bad, my brain registered "back up" as "Image" :downs: