Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

anyone have a way to force the win 11 22H2 update? Clicking check for updates just tells me I'm up to date, but I'm still on 21H2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

Recently had a hardware change and decided to do a clean install of windows 11 to go with it. Decided to see if I could get build 22631.3235 so I could tell it I was in the EU market (I'm actually in the US) and get the option to uninstall edge and a bunch of other stuff.

The windows install media creation tool didn't give me the version I wanted, so I ran to uupdump to get it. A half hour later I had an ISO, ran it through rufus, and installed.

On the initial install screen I told windows I resided in Germany, and used English as my primary language and used a US English keyboard layout. Once installed I still couldn't uninstall edge or turn off bing search results, so I turned on "Get latest updates" and ran a windows update and got a couple small patches. Restarted and I was now able to uninstall edge (and a host of other windows apps I don't use and don't want) and uninstall bing search results. I also don't have copilot anymore!

I changed my timezone back to pdt, and seem fine. Thanks EU!

HKR fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Mar 22, 2024

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Another day, another ad

I've disabled Copilot every way I can find and still periodically get this. I googled it and found a series of MS community posts where the support dorks recommended looking for an option to disable in the Settings menu. People are saying they disabled copilot with group policy and still get the ads. The support dorks do not respond further.

This should do it (I use this to remove bing search results in the start menu)

Regedit

Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Explorer

(You may need to create the "Explorer" subkey under "Windows")

Right click, New > DWORD (32-bit) Value

Name the value "DisableSearchBoxSuggestions". Double-click it and set its value data to "1".

Restart your computer

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

God but blu-rays are a loving mess on 11.

I want to watch and rip blu-rays since streaming services remove things a lot and you need to put major quotes around digital "purchases". Except there's no blu-ray playback in Windows 11. A lot of the free apps on the Windows store seem to review poorly due to bugged playback, MakeMKV is fifty four loving pounds after a free trial, and PowerDVD requires an account before it'll play a single loving thing.

Eventually I got playback and ripping working in VLC by following an old guide from Windows 8 days, involving two files on a series of plain text websites that have to be put in specific folders, and even then I have to select the film manually because VLC keeps telling me I don't have Java installed for the blu-ray menus and the solution makes me not want to bother trying to fix it.

We should have stopped making things when the new millenium hit, everything's bad and the solutions are already written in the ancient tomes of Web 1.0.

if you're okay with ripping discs, makemkv will do all you need. If you want to watch though powerdvd is the only real solution at this point.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

quick win 11 question. In task manager, you can right click on an app and put it in "Efficiency mode" which microsoft describes as:

quote:

Task Manager Efficiency mode is a new feature that gives you options to ensure certain running processes won’t stress the CPU out, leading to faster foreground responsiveness and better energy efficiency. It also helps you to identify apps that are already running in Efficiency mode and are good citizens of the OS. The goal is to give power users control of process resource consumption and contribute to Microsoft’s Sustainable Software initiative. At a high level, the Task Manager Efficiency mode limits process resource usage by reducing the process priority and ensuring it runs efficiently on the CPU by leveraging EcoQoS.

I have a 12th gen intel i7 with 8 efficiency cores. If I put an app in Efficiency mode, does that regulate the task to the efficiency cores? Can I make sure an app always runs in efficiency mode? How do I tell what processes are running on the efficiency cores? Theoretically I want to make sure apps I keep running in the background use the efficiency cores rather than the main cores so those are free for real tasks like getting destroyed in Tekken. I know windows 11 is supposed to handle that stuff automagically but I don't really trust like that.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

Ihmemies posted:

Finally unfucked video player exists: MPC-HC with MPCVR:

https://github.com/clsid2/mpc-hc/releases
https://github.com/clsid2/MPCVideoRenderer/releases

Can uninstall madVR and other non-functioning garbage.

With MPC-HC + MPCVR HDR playback works normally. It did not work before really at all.

wait, who's developing MPC-HC? I thought the dev disappeared and MPC-BE is the go to replacement now

Still stoked that I can say gently caress you to MadVR

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

Cyril Sneer posted:

I'm setting up a new one of those Mini PCs as a personal web server / media center. It comes with Windows 11 Pro installed....the search panel keeps panel pops up with all this dumb NFL crap, US news stories, and lovely app links. Can I turn all this poo poo off?

HKR posted:

This should do it (I use this to remove bing search results in the start menu)

Regedit

Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Explorer

(You may need to create the "Explorer" subkey under "Windows")

Right click, New > DWORD (32-bit) Value

Name the value "DisableSearchBoxSuggestions". Double-click it and set its value data to "1".

Restart your computer