Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

ziasquinn posted:

upgrading to w11 broke my ethernet driver so thank god i had wifi to pull the updated driver off realtek. Modern operation system!!

Realtek drivers and their installers are a hosed up mess with Windows 3.1 styling and sometimes requiring several reboots plus I've heard stories of their audio drivers even loving up Nvidia gpu drivers for no drat reason, it's quite plausible that windows 11 installation tried to update them in-place and they broke halfway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Branch Nvidian posted:

When I asked it how to uninstall it, it just pointed me to the add/remove programs settings window, where there wasn't an option. I've gotten it disabled now, and sorry that my post came off like some troll r/walkaway poo poo. It really was just the final annoyance I had to deal with that made me finally go back to using macOS as my primary computer environment. It's not like Microsoft added it and that was the only thing that's ever bothered me. Death by a thousands cuts or whatever.

The unreliable chat bot that you wanted to remove because it is bad didn't cough up the correct word sequence to tell you how to remove it, so you trusted it couldn't be removed?

Let alone that making edits to the registry to toggle features (even if there's no app-specific UI to do it for you) has been a Windows thing for thirty years at this point.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Combat Pretzel posted:

7950X3D, Geforce 3080, Samsung 990PRO.

I don't think it is.

My 3090 needed an RMA because the desktop display could hang for a few seconds (looked like a software problem) or sometimes get random bad pixels (looked like a monitor problem)

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

doctorfrog posted:

This is not necessarily related to your point, but goddamn what an ugly OS this is. Just flat blinding white and bright blue highlights all over a basic file manager, with minor hints of how it's all divided up.

MS: no discernable boundaries.

hosed up to take screenshots with dark mode off

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Microsoft, I'd imagine

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

buffbus posted:

Am I the only person who has this?

For at least a decade, by default.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Dick Trauma posted:

This morning I saw a popup about Dynamic Lighting being available and it took me to a settings panel I hadn't seen before that allowed me to fiddle with the LED logo on my mouse.

I got this, too, and it also set my keyboard lighting to match the desktop color scheme highlights while it's otherwise idle. Very good that they're making it easier to work with such things.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

EUR welcome

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Quackles posted:

I just wish you could drag a file onto an app's icon to open it like you can in macOS.

Wait they broke that? Hasn't that been a feature forever?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Klyith posted:

lol I was wondering why updating a realtek audio driver would fix your bluetooth, given that bluetooth audio isn't processed by the sound card. Not that I didn't believe, because realtek, but I was wondering how.

that explains it, the audio effects driver is loving with all audio on the system.

ITT post the most ins anely realtek troubleshooting fixes

Realtek audio drivers can cause video card hangups, even