Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Last Chance posted:

Thankfully since Windows is primarily only good for gaming these days, it should be fine. you likely don’t need to encrypt your Steam directory.

Speak for yourself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Serotoning posted:

Windows Explorer just took literally 4-5 seconds to even indicate it was launching, let alone become actionable. How incredibly awful.

Why are you even trying to browse the file system? Just tell Copilot which file you want to view!

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Tiny Timbs posted:

MS support forums workers have never, ever helped anyone and exist only to further confuse and torment innocent people

Hello Tiny Timbs,

My name is Segunfunmi, and I'm here to help you with your Microsoft Copilot issues. As an Independent Advisor and fellow Microsoft user, I completely understand your frustration with this issue.

Here are some steps you can take to troubleshoot the problem:

First, let's check your Copilot Settings. This can be done by opening the Windows Settings menu (use the Windows + I keys), selecting System from the left sidebar, and opening the Copilot menu. Please scroll down to Copilot and open it. Ensure the toggle is enabled, and turn on the permission to show Copilot notifications.

I hope these suggestions are helpful, and please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Remember, we're in this together and work to find the best solution for you.

Kind regards,
Segunfunmi.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

God but blu-rays are a loving mess on 11.

From what I've been told that's not a problem specific to Windows. Blu-rays are just like that.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

repiv posted:

there's straight up no official way to watch 4K blurays on a newer PC because the only sanctioned implementation required intel SGX and intel stopped putting that on their newer processors, and AMD never had it in the first place

Guess all those turbo nerds will have to upgrade to ultra hd blu-ray. How else would someone who spends their free time on the computer watch a movie? :smug:

Edit: Hold up. I just noticed you said 4K blu ray. Are we talking about the same thing? Do you mean to tell me a physical media format launched in 2016 is already going obsolete because of the DRM they chose?

Edit 2: lol

wash bucket fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Apr 9, 2024

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

WattsvilleBlues posted:

I'm confused as to why the software engineers don't try to fix stuff like this. Don't they use the software they create?

Any time you see a company with an obvious problem you can be sure there are tons of people in that company who are pissed about it.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

lines posted:

I've started a new job where I have a Linux workstation and while there are certainly a few tiresome things about it, it's amazing how much less of a gently caress it is to use in many ways for everyday things. I moved away from Linux around the time of Windows 10 because it was good then! It's very sad.

What line of work gets you a Linux workstation on your desk? What distro?

Do you literally develop server software or some such?

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Huh, y'all weren't exaggerating.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

lines posted:

I like VS Code, I'll admit it.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Koskun posted:

Can you defer MacOS updates? I know it won't update past a certain point if the system is "too old" or the like, however it does pretty much force updates on the user right?

No, macOS doesn’t force updates. I used and supported Macs in a professional setting for years and we always had to keep our workstations a version or two behind due to a lovely software vendor that was slow to support new releases of macOS.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Klyith posted:

If you want to find out, make a bootable usb stick of ubuntu or fedora and try the live environment.

I’ll second this. Most of the popular flavors of Linux support this, it’s quick, and it can be fun and interesting even if you decide not to do a full install.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

VelociBacon posted:

Building that PC tomorrow, thinking I'll make a partition for the OS, how much room would you allocate for a win11 partition? It's a 2tb nvme drive.

The Windows installer cannot be contained by partitions. You better start disconnected anything you don't want Windows to help itself to.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

VelociBacon posted:

Oh really? I guess I was assuming it would be the same installer as win7/10 where you can partition the drive off immediately before choosing where to install windows.

You can. The Windows installer is just notorious for ignoring those instructions and putting random partitions where you don't expect. If you only have one physical drive it might be easier to let Windows have the whole thing during installation then carve a new partition out of the free space after the fact.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

https://twitter.com/headfallsoff/status/1783230075275485415

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Cyril Sneer posted:

I'm setting up a new one of those Mini PCs as a personal web server / media center. It comes with Windows 11 Pro installed....the search panel keeps panel pops up with all this dumb NFL crap, US news stories, and lovely app links. Can I turn all this poo poo off?

Yep

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

kirbysuperstar posted:

...and they want you to just use OneDrive

Can't accidentally delete files if they're always in use! :science:

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

cruft posted:

FML I'm posting in the Windows 11 thread again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Last Chance posted:

It’s be cool if you could browse your file system in Edge. Couldn’t you do that in like IE 4 (and probably earlier)?

You can use it to browse Microsoft One Drive. That is where all your files are... right?