Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

In late 2018 I bought the Jeep/truck combo I'd always wanted - a 1969 m715 military truck. They made about 30k of these things during the height of the Vietnam war from 1967 to 1969 to replace the very cool and good Dodge M37, however it was a bit of a failed experiment. These things were the first attempt to bring costs down on military trucks by using existing commercial vehicles as a platform to modify, called Mil-COTS. Very few M715s made it to Vietnam, a bunch made it to korea/europe and they were fairly unreliable and underpowered and bad. Cool but bad. Interestingly the Korean military still makes a modern version of an m715 made by Kia, an unfortunate name for military use.

A lot of these trucks, once sold off from boring military duty, became brush fire trucks, as mine was. It entered service in California as a bright yellow Borrego Springs brush truck in an M726 configuration (the bed was a maintenance service bed). The previous owner was the first civvie owner of this truck and replaced the bed with a 715 bed from a donor.

So here we are again back at the end of 2018 and I've apparently just paid too much for this truck as the lady at the DMV reprimanded me for, but as happy as can be! When it breaks down for the first time on my way home:

Fun fact I probably learned from these forums, but only vehicles in 1969 can have "69" in the license plate here. Quite Nice. Plate was from previous owner.

At this point it had a stupid custom bumper and winch, hard top with cool running lights, untrustworthy 37" hmmwv tires mounted to 4 custom made rims for the old weird 60's bolt pattern, a different spare wheel with ND tire. It's got an automatic C6 trans behind a Ford 351w apparently from another govt. police interceptor (I think the fire dept. did this change) and an NP205 transfer case. It has dual fuel tanks, the stock 26Gal under the bed and a 50Gal tank in the bed. I wonder why it needs 76Gal of fuel? Oh because the 351 gets FIVE miles per gallon.

Garbage:

Wonderful milspec interior:

Original data plate showing the fire dept. yellow:

It turns out it only broke down because, well, it ran out of gas. Once I got it home I left it for a bit but one of the coolest things about this truck is that it's actually a convertible! To heck with this tin roof, off with its head and thus began the start of many many fabrication projects. I couldn't find any soft top frames for sale so after buying a JD2 tube bender, a mig welder, some metal, some buttons and an after market soft top I ended up with something close enough.

This is my driveway, most pictures will be from within this driveway.

Some time after this I also remove the 50 year old gas tank under the bed and use the modern 50gal only. No pictures but I'll try to use 1000 words to explain it instead: It was fire season in socal and in smoky air with 95f temperatures - I am half soaked in gasoline trying to re-plumb the gas lines. Awful job.

So now armed with a cool soft top and a short reliability record of driving it on my small commute, I decide to take it to a friend's bachelor party in Lake Arrowhead where it decides to break down even harder. The engine starts surging and dying on the freeway (gas line issue maybe?), so I pull off and when I go to park right after the turnoff I hear a loud Ping! and the steering gets very weird.

The steering box snapped off the frame... At 5mph instead of 65.

AAA membership starting to really pay off:

The filthy, oily steering box area with shiny crack where the welds broke (I had to wire wheel a lot to get it this visible):

Look at this garbage rear end area to try and get into to weld. It sucked. (replaced motor fan with electric fan during this)

Added a gusset to the underside of the plate the box is mounted to.

The rag joint driveshaft was wrecked and bent out of shape during this so it was all replaced with a collapsible double D ujoint setup. (these cost far too much)

While the truck was having surgery I also decided to replace the horrendously offensive aftermarket front bumper and winch. This truck doesn't need an extra 200lbs hanging off the front of it. For some reason, 4x4 people love to overbuild bumpers. I picked up some cheap construction steel beam and cut it in half and welded it back together again following the body lines.

Much cleaner

Around this point I start considering what my real plans are for this truck instead of driving it around with 50 year old drum brakes, 3 gears, its slow, cant offroad gud, etc. gently caress it. Let's spend some real money. In part 2 just below.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

Okay, let's prioritize this a bit.

Tires are dangerously dry and bad, but fortunately the wheels they're mounted on are 16.5" which is a rare size for tires these days, and even more fortunately the lug nut pattern is some ancient size that time forgot and you can no longer buy wheels for any longer. Maybe I can get new hubs for the axles, shouldn't be so bad as the front is a Dana 60 and the rear is a Dana 70.

No - the front is a 60's closed knuckle passenger side drop Dana 60 with the strength of a modern Dana 44 and drum brakes. The rear is a 60s Dana 70 with the strength of a 60's Dana 70 but also drum brakes and it has a detroit locker in it that locks up the entire axle if I turn at a stop sign. Both axles are extremely wide with a WMS to WMS of roughly 72" so replacing it wont be as convenient as I'd like. Changing the lug nut pattern is almost impossible on the front axle and just quite rare and annoying to do on the rear. New axles it must be.

Thanks to another vehicle from Mil-COTS, and basically a modern version of the m715, the CUCV happens to have super wide axles with passenger side drop, a convenient and common swap for m715 owner. So I get myself an old CUCV front Dana60 that has been sitting in Satan's colon for about 20 years.

"""VERY NICE"""

I dont have a lot of pictures of it, but it was fun trying to get a 600lbs axle out of the truck bed with no hoist.

So after actually buying a hoist weeks later, a HF 20ton press, new brake rotors, new calipers, Yukon locking hubs, 5 gallons of Evapo-Rust (amazing stuff), some high steer double-sheer kingpin arms, seals and rebuild kits for all sorts of things, lots of gloves, grease, wire wheels, flap and cutoff wheels, a stiff diff cover and a few cans of paint, I put them all in a preheated garage at 425 for a few months and this emerged.

So shiny

Welded together some leaf perches

Had to make 2 custom stout dollies to wheel these axles around and position under the truck.

Some heim joints and quater wall DOM tubing make it really simple to fab up a tie rod/drag link.

Front's good, time for the rear. I spent a lot of time refurbing the front axle and I hated every minute of it, so the rear being cheaper I opted to just buy a custom made brand new one. ECGS 14 bolt with ebrake discs, 1/2" wall tube, 4.56 gears, ARB air locker, custom width, 1410 ujoint. 3 Months later this arrives.

Cool.

So now the axles are set, I buy some extremely cheap 40" mtr/k tires off facebook to test clearances and some 2" spacers to test backspacing on some procomp steelies for when I order the real wheels. A test fit looks good as the wheel wells on this truck are fortunately huge and will only need minor trimming.

Great, not only do I have 4x 37" tires taking up valuable garage space I also have 6x 40" tires to deal with.

Time to buy some cool wheels! Actually... Maybe not yet. I started prioritizing things and ended up doing an entire axle swap before I even got to the second item of a list. So let's make a list:

-I want a Diesel motor and an automatic transmission with overdrive that also fits the NP205 transfer case I have.
-AC unit as I live in SOCAL.
-40" tires on beadlocks because I live in SOCAL.
-Suspension needs to work offroad. Softer, bigger leafs or 4link the entire thing (TBD).
-Rollcage with modern seat belts and seats for safety.
-Rock sliders and skidplate protection for offroading.
-Front and backup cameras as the hood is huge and I can't see poo poo.
-Probably many more small things not worth listing.

So that brings you all up to speed on this build/project. I'm currently working on the rollcage because I know it would take me time and I had to save up for the other goodies.. and it's a lot of fun! Fabricating things for this truck is the real hobby here, which is why buying wheels can come later.

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

I have recently decided to get more of a hussle on when it comes to working on this thing, unfortunately the timing could've have been worse as we enter summer months with 90-100+ temps and rising. Grinding and welding in these temps wearing welding jacket, gloves, cap, hood and respirator is as you can imagine, just bucket loads of fun. I mean sweat. But here we are just get on with it and make progress.

I've seen a number of cages on m715s online before and I quite like aspects from a few of them so I've become a great artist and stolen designs from them all. I've also just come to terms with the fact that this cage isn't a race cage, its slow rollover protection and I have limitations in garage space for tubing lengths so some tubes will have to be mated. It is not as triangulated as you'd expect from a track car but strength is made up for in other areas and some bits of tubing will need to be sleeved and butted/plugged together to form longer main loops. I've been told this butt/plug thing will work out well with a little reaming.

The plan for the cage is:

-2" .120 wall DOM
-Basic 4-point cage tied to frame.
-Seats tied into cage.
-3pt seatbelt + 5point harness for seats.
-Rock sliders welded to the frame tie-ins.
-removable for painting + final welding.

I started with the base plates so I know where to aim all the tubes at. Of course nothing is easy and the rear plates had to be some custom shape and the front plates needed a bunch of trimming of the cab in this hot rear end weather.

Didnt have a drill press so I decided to pie-cut existing base plates as it was less work than dealing with my trash rear end drill (ive since upgraded). Anyway its good welding practice and itll be fine, I hope. Rear base plates.

Front showing the trimming of the cab stiffener channel.

For my JD2 tube bender I have it mounted to a post on some wheels so I can make the most out of the space in the garage. Because of this I couldn't use the default lever-arm as that requires mounting into concrete, so I stole an idea from my mate who bought a $30 trailer screw jack and welded mounts onto it for the bender. You simply attach a drill and it works pretty drat well. Here's a video of him demonstrating the setup https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gdpqTnTy5IA

This worked well for me on HREW tubing for all my practice and furniture project but once I switched to the DOM tubing my electric drill just didn't have the torque for 2" tube. After huffing and puffing about it for a while the only solution was to buy an entire air compressor, air piston and SWAG hydraulic JD2 converter. This setup is now fuckin baller and I don't know why I didn't get into air tools sooner.

So after a few wasted lengths of expensive DOM I ended up with this for the front hoop. 6 bends and buttplugged together in the middle. I'm using some tube couplers here because with the kickers in for leg room the cage wouldn't be removable and I wouldn't be confident welding in some very tight areas. I believe the cage will be stronger with good welds all around even with a few couplers.

Speaking of reaming earlier - I was mistaken, I would actually need to turn down the 1.75 DOM inner sleeve tubing using a grinder for it to fit. I just think the white shiny metal looks cool. It was plug welded in a bunch of spots and the 2 main outer tubes butt-welded with about a 1/16th gap then ground down flush, etc.

The main rear hoop was more of the same, just simpler. Today I was able to make the top tubes and get a good feel for what itll all look like and how much headroom there will be (plenty)

Cage fits within the removable soft top frame.

Outer top tubes will be pushed further outwards onto or near the bends when tacked on (they're just resting here for now)

And 'the look' from the front.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
yes yes yes yes! i love the M715. shame about the powertrain, both present and future. put a 401 in it!

are you going to shorten the truck any? it looks huge as hell (which imo is fine for a truck, but maybe not super practical for offroading)

i like the eggs axle

do the legs of the front hoop block the windshield latches? that seems like a problem. maybe its just the angle of the photo

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

I love this truck and want to work on it and wheel with it.

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

Raluek posted:

yes yes yes yes! i love the M715. shame about the powertrain, both present and future. put a 401 in it!

Haha why do you hate diesel? This truck is never going to work as a high horsepower machine, it's too heavy and offroading is basically all about going 5mph. I'm (disappointingly) hoping to put an R2.8 in it, which may disappoint many but we can discuss it.

Raluek posted:

are you going to shorten the truck any? it looks huge as hell (which imo is fine for a truck, but maybe not super practical for offroading)

No plans for that yet. I've seen the bobbed beds done but I don't want to rush into that. We'll see if it is an actual offroading problem once it's running again. This is something to tackle after engine/suspension changes.

Raluek posted:

do the legs of the front hoop block the windshield latches? that seems like a problem. maybe its just the angle of the photo

Good eye, they do! When I take out the cage to weld/paint I will be cutting those off and putting new ones in where they don't interfere. I'll also have to clearance the glovebox a bit. There were some packaging issues with that front hoop where I had to balance the latches vs the window winders on the doors, so they're inbound a lot more than you'd expect, but winding down windows is important for both me and mcdonalds drive-thrus respectively.

Krakkles posted:

Hell yeah let's gently caress.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

tuna posted:

Haha why do you hate diesel? This truck is never going to work as a high horsepower machine, it's too heavy and offroading is basically all about going 5mph. I'm (disappointingly) hoping to put an R2.8 in it, which may disappoint many but we can discuss it.

mainly i just hate how they smell, how they sound, and if it was me i woulda wished it was a V8 every time i drove it

obviously you have different intentions for it than i would, tho, which is fine

sounds like youve got your priorities otherwise straight tho. glad you're keeping the foldable windshield even if its not possible to retain the original latch locations

hopefully they dont end up garish and modern looking like the hood latches

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

Raluek posted:

mainly i just hate how they smell, how they sound, and if it was me i woulda wished it was a V8 every time i drove it

But I've already made the thread title!

Seriously though, I like the diesel sound for offroading vehicles and I do believe the characteristics of a diesel will work better:

cons:
-heavy
-low HP
-vibration and noise (caveat -flat faced vehicle already gets wind buffeting at about 60mph and shakes a lot because it's old.)
-Mandatory large, shiny Cummins badge on the side will attract terrible people.

pros:
-simple(r)
-good low rpm torque (turning 40" tires at low speeds with only a 2:1 transfer case)
-more fuel efficient in a heavy vehicle.

Going with something like an R2.8 the vibrations wont be as bad as something like a 4bt (also less engine height for suspension travel packaging), itll be easier to install for me, a lazy dumbass, and the gas mileage seems better. A big thing about offroading is that you have to actually drive 100s or 1000s of miles to reach the destination. The hypothetical plan now is an r2.8 / 6L80E. I'd love to hear all opinions, though.

Anyway, since the exhausts are off entirely for the rollcage build, I'll record the the V8 sounds because it's ridiculous.

[e] I'm sorry I forgot to mention this thread will also heavily feature cat pics.

tuna fucked around with this message at 11:10 on Jun 25, 2021

bennyfactor
Nov 21, 2008
Weird mil jeep?
R 2.8?
CAT PICS?

THIS?!

tuna posted:

I've been told this butt/plug thing will work out well with a little reaming.

Incredible thread, voted 5 because it is...

Only registered members can see post attachments!

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
This is awesome.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
Hell yes this owns. AI absolutely needs a second J truck build
Pleasantly surprised its not getting a 6BT.
R2.8/6l80 would be a pretty decent modern combo. 160hp/310ft-lb might be a bit pokey out of the box on 4.56/40s but its fiiiiine.

Krakkles posted:

:same:

Raluek posted:

V8 noises and diesel can be had pretty easily. Small bonus is having a huge honkin turbo to accentuate the v8 howl.

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

Merry Friday - It wasn't an especially productive day today.

First of all, friday cat:

Today was largely spent staring at 4 tubes and asking myself "do I like these tubes?". The answer is always somewhere between "dunno" and a squinty look on my face as I consider the cost of wasting even more DOM tubing on bad ideas.

So this is essentially the final look of the cage for now, pretty similar to the previous images of it but now they're tacked into place and have had some finer fitup grinding done.

This weekend I hope to be able to tack in the base plate cage tie-ins. (Ignore the couplers they are just there as friends)

Also look at this absolute nonsense:

My loving welding hood broke its dimming glass somehow. All I did was reach in to adjust the brightness and it cracked? I'm actually not a huge fan of this hood, despite it being pretty spendy and highly regarded (by idiots!!). The head strap/attachment part is overly complex, uncomfortable, slides off all the time and I can't tighten it up without pulling my drat hair. The mask refuses to stay in the upright location and the friction screws constantly loosen, and the adjustment controls are really hard to reach unless this is your hand anatomy. While it is very clear and nice when it's not dimmed, I still can't quite get the right balance of brightness for seeing the weld pool. I knew I should've just gone with a Lincoln Viking.

cursedshitbox posted:

R2.8/6l80 would be a pretty decent modern combo. 160hp/310ft-lb might be a bit pokey out of the box on 4.56/40s but its fiiiiine.

Cummins needs to get their stupid poo poo together and sell a 3.8 crate motor. Dare me to order an ISF3.8 from Alibaba in protest?

The 2.8 is a bit underpowered for the weight/size of this vehicle but what choice do I really have? None! No choice! On the plus size, the low weight over the axle is nice for longevity and there are 200hp/400ftlbs tunes out there to be had.
I haven't ordered the 2.8 yet so if there is a better suited diesel for this truck I'm all ears - It just needs to not be huge and tall, because I do need axle articulation.

tuna fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Jun 26, 2021

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

It's so beefy

Amazing work so far.

A non-tall diesel is going to be tough because of the very nature of the things.

As much as i love diesels, based on your size limitations/vehicle weight i would personally just go with a 6 liter LS or something of that nature. power/size/weight/simplicity can't be beat. I think the 2.8 trying to turn 40s would get tiring pretty quick.

Comedy answer is, as always, the VW 5.0 V10 TDI.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Pity the US is devoid of all the good little Japanese diesels. Something like a Toyota 1KD-FTV or the Isuzu 4JJ1 3.0L 4 cylinder diesels would be perfect, especially with lightweight bolt on mods to boost the output of them!

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

tuna posted:

[e] I'm sorry I forgot to mention this thread will also heavily feature cat pics.

this outweighs any criticism i could muster

Powershift posted:

As much as i love diesels, based on your size limitations/vehicle weight i would personally just go with a 6 liter LS or something of that nature.

im not sayin, but, :hmmyes:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Ferremit posted:

Pity the US is devoid of all the good little Japanese diesels. Something like a Toyota 1KD-FTV or the Isuzu 4JJ1 3.0L 4 cylinder diesels would be perfect, especially with lightweight bolt on mods to boost the output of them!

The earlier engines like the 4JG2 and 1KZTE are available and relatively cheap, but it still seems you're still barely breaking 150hp at 400ft/lbs.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

tuna posted:

Cummins needs to get their stupid poo poo together and sell a 3.8 crate motor. Dare me to order an ISF3.8 from Alibaba in protest?

The 2.8 is a bit underpowered for the weight/size of this vehicle but what choice do I really have? None! No choice! On the plus size, the low weight over the axle is nice for longevity and there are 200hp/400ftlbs tunes out there to be had.
I haven't ordered the 2.8 yet so if there is a better suited diesel for this truck I'm all ears - It just needs to not be huge and tall, because I do need axle articulation.

Yeah your options suuuuck taking heft and tallness off the table. Plus the 2.8 is the cool new kid on the block. Turn the wick up to 400lb-ft and enjoy. It'll leave you wanting more at some point though.
The old v8 iron pigs don't offer much out of the box for their enormous heft up front, however the old dirtymax can throw down double its factory output with ease.

R2.8 dims:
25.1"L
25"W
28.3"H
~500lb (161hp/310lb-ft)

6.6 Dirtymax dims:
30" L
30" W
32" H
~835lb (lb7: 235-300hp/500-520lb-ft)
Upside: Allison! 6 speed stick optional. LB7 should be on its second/third set of injectors by now.
Downside: Allison! Stupid cooling pump design.
These roughly slot in at ~ old school big block v8 weights and dimensions.

7.3 PSD/T44E (IDI basically the same but with R2.8 power out of the box)
34"L
32" W
38" H
920lb (210-275hp/425-525lb-ft)
Upside: "Unkillable".
Downside: "Unkillable" because it makes no power. 4R100 is "ok". 6 speed stick costs twice that of a good longblock.

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

Thank you all for motor opinions and ideas. I'm reading them and will do research on everything, although I don't have much to reply about them right now as my head is currently in fabrication mode.

For context about me: My current daily driver is a Jeep JK with a 3.6 pentastar 4.10 gears and 37" tires and I love it. I was once in Colorado and I felt like I needed more power at that altitude but other than that I have never cared for sending this thing past 85. It's been to 100, but it's not cool. On the trails I do it has more power than you could ever want, and you'll break something if you use it all. I have a feeling AI's opinions on power are in a different league to what I'm used to or care about, but it's worth noting.

Small Japanese diesels, Duramax, etc. are all interesting to me and I'll look into them. As a

I hear you, gas V8'ers. It's not off the table but it's unlikely. Then again I could always bump my head and have a change of heart. I do like their lightweight and compact form factors, but low RPM is where this truck needs its guts.

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

Today's update is being kicked off by a CAT VIDEO
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vnM0MduIBEs

Anyway, box thread!

What could it be? What's in there? Is it an r2.8? An LSX?

Even better? Probably!

Exciting reveal!

An Chair.

Get tae gently caress! (I'll miss the folding though):

After removing the original seats, lap belts and center console that has always just been floating around in there unbolted, we end up with a nice clean cab. I only had to grind off 3 weird mounts of dubious origin. It's like moving into a new apartment with endless feng shui possibilities. There are an awful lot of random holes in this cab though from previously mounted furniture. I'll have to weld all of these up once the cage is out for full welding.

Now that all the chuff is out, I have to make sure that the cage is actually removable for final welding. A long hour later and I find out that it is, I can basically squat press this thing out and get a good workout while doing it too. I didn't take any pictures of this incredibly boring wrenching job, but it seems like the cage can split in two and be wedged out of the cab and also reinstalled and bolted all back together without anything wonky happening. Cage is only tacked for now but you always want to make sure it hasn't warped in any weird fashion. I will be tacking existing pieces a bit more before final removal to really make sure warping isn't an issue during the final welding process since there will be gussets and a lot more heat going into this thing.

I then proceeded to do a terrible job of documenting my progress on the cage but I cut and notch the ground tubes between the A and B pillars adding a coupler inbetween so that whole front quater can still be disconnected. Then I add a dash-bar between the A pillars.

I'm actually really hyped for that dash bar because I can mount all sorts of things to it for convenience.

Seat testing time!

I'm going to need a smaller steering wheel aren't I? And maybe removable? AND probably a tilt column (any recommendations that arent $1000?). Stupid cab, why isn't it bigger?
I really like the feel of the seat when it's racked back at more of an angle, but it tends to poke out the back window when that happens. Because it's a soft top this isn't really a huge issue, but there are packaging issues for the B-hoop cross bar/harness strap bar and any potential triangulation on that hoop I'd be able to do. Why do I have to solve so many clearance issues on a truck this size? Maybe the solve is to just bend all those internal B-hoop tubes so it all sticks out a few inches and add some weather proofing for the soft top to accommodate... I'm going to have to get a lot better at tube bending and notching for this.

So I went with a basic Mastercraft Rubicon seat because 1) PRP take 7 weeks to deliver a seat 2) it was cheap 3) had a pretty good balance of bolstering but ease of access for a daily driver. The headrest is a good height for me and the harness strap locations too. Overall I think this seat is gonna be fine. I was expecting the seat to come with little rollcage tabs for horizontal bolts but it came with vertical bolt mounts instead so I'll be welding on my own tabs for mounting - which is going to be its own series of problems to solve. A problem for future-me, not current-me.

It's also worth noting that this cab has TWO gloryholes. I don't mind but why are they faced down? Glory hole design has come a long way since the 60s and I intend on improving this.

It was like 97f today and because its cage work I had no shade - wearing a welding jacket, gloves, full face respirator and hearing protection for a decent chunk, I was hot as gently caress. Do any of you have fitness watches that track heart rate and calories while wrenching? With the heat and fairly active wrenching today my watch thinks I sprinted a marathon.

Bookending this post with another video of the 351 with no exhaust.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4zKmBxBEmz4

bennyfactor
Nov 21, 2008

tuna posted:

I'm going to need a smaller steering wheel aren't I? And maybe removable? AND probably a tilt column (any recommendations that arent $1000?). Stupid cab, why isn't it bigger?

Based on your photos, it doesn't look like you need much of a "column" part of the steering column, since it doesn't stick out far from the dash. This 12" tilt column is $387 at summit: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/idt-1120120010?rrec=true. There's one that's less shiny but it's 200 bucks more so, I dunno, maybe can of black rustoleum instead?

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

bennyfactor posted:

Based on your photos, it doesn't look like you need much of a "column" part of the steering column, since it doesn't stick out far from the dash. This 12" tilt column is $387 at summit: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/idt-1120120010?rrec=true. There's one that's less shiny but it's 200 bucks more so, I dunno, maybe can of black rustoleum instead?

Hell yeah, thanks. Didn't know they sold just the tilty part.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
KITTY

Just as a small point, a kinked rollcage front leg like that is not a good idea (it's a point of potential collapse) but you can alleviate with a gusset to the intrusion bar.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

This is the first build topic I've been excited about in a while. I don't know poo poo about off-roaders outside of what I've picked up on here over the past several years, but it looks like you're going all in on this and that's awesome. Hog wild.

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Just as a small point, a kinked rollcage front leg like that is not a good idea (it's a point of potential collapse) but you can alleviate with a gusset to the intrusion bar.

Yeah the cage has some compromises. A lot of compromises.

I will be gusseting most joins because of the lack of triangulation overall and it's me welding. I also have this in mind for that area as bends in tubes are weaker and not ideal in an A pillar.

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

This is the first build topic I've been excited about in a while. I don't know poo poo about off-roaders outside of what I've picked up on here over the past several years, but it looks like you're going all in on this and that's awesome. Hog wild.

Thanks, the mall parking lots near me wont know what hit'em.

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

I absolutely hate grinding and welding while awkwardly laying under a vehicle in 100f temperature and today was just one of those days.

At first I tried to put it off by doing fun fabrication instead where you're measuring and bending and using cool specific tools to make the work easy - bending 1.5" tubing for mounting the seats to the cage. I started off by making a rear cross bar:

Then a right angle piece to create a sort of square under the seat. I don't have any 1.5" couplers so I can't complete this piece today at any rate, but it was really useful for me to be able to see this and visualize how this piece will absolutely not work and go back to the drawing board.

The passenger seat side of the transmission channel isn't the same as the driver side so that is also a very cool thing I'll have to design around.

I really don't want to lock myself into any bad decisions regarding the seat mounting situation so I will order a new PRP 13" wheel a tilt column and I'm looking at wheel quick disconnects too, for security. Fun fact - this truck has no locks!

I accept my fate and realize I must start to do the annoying part of installing the frame tie-ins for the cage. Welding prep and clearancing some of the body for the rear:

Same on the front:

The front mount has to be modified a bit to be smaller to fit into the area it has to live on the frame:

Rears can stay as they are, just some weld prep

Out of position welding is always scary and tricky and that is made a lot harder when you can barely fit the gun in to aim and your arms are hovering above your head and the mig sparks rain directly down onto you. I don't want to completely gently caress this up so I spend a few hours welding on test coupons. In the chat thread recently there have been a few welding discussions and here is where I stand by my recommendation to just buy pre-cut coupons for welding practice/tests. Yes, I can buy a large 1/4" plate for cheaper and spend a bunch of time and energy cutting it up into my own coupons but it's 100f out, I've been rolling around on the floor for a while grinding a disgusting frame clean again and I'm nervous about getting the welds as good as I can - the last thing I want is extra work.

After an hour or two of testing settings, practice welding, I arrive at my settings and get to work on the real pieces.

Rear:

Front:

Not the prettiest welds in the universe but I believe they're burned in good enough for me. A quick rattlecan and they're set.

And that's about all I got today and I'm glad that part is over.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

tuna posted:

In the chat thread recently there have been a few welding discussions and here is where I stand by my recommendation to just buy pre-cut coupons for welding practice/tests. Yes, I can buy a large 1/4" plate for cheaper and spend a bunch of time and energy cutting it up into my own coupons but it's 100f out, I've been rolling around on the floor for a while grinding a disgusting frame clean again and I'm nervous about getting the welds as good as I can - the last thing I want is extra work.
You convinced me, not least because I'm in the same weather :D

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

Krakkles posted:

You convinced me, not least because I'm in the same weather :D

Nice! Some of their welding kit projects look quite fun too. Good birthday gift ideas honestly. They'll really challenge your fit up skills (and you'll realize you need 20 more clamps and obscure squares).

While I sit and wait for components to be shipped I guess now is a good time to do some engine research.

cursedshitbox posted:

R2.8 dims:
25.1"L
25"W
28.3"H
~500lb (161hp/310lb-ft)

6.6 Dirtymax dims:
30" L
30" W
32" H
~835lb (lb7: 235-300hp/500-520lb-ft)
Upside: Allison! 6 speed stick optional. LB7 should be on its second/third set of injectors by now.
Downside: Allison! Stupid cooling pump design.
These roughly slot in at ~ old school big block v8 weights and dimensions.

The Duramax option is definitely worth more research and I'll have to do a bunch of measuring. The thing I like about the r2.8 is that it's a complete crate engine so there aren't so many hidden costs associated with it. The more I look into buying a Duramax the more confused I become, what is the best way to go about getting one of these where I'm not hunting down hundreds of individual components and computers that a long block doesn't come with? I'd like to see what the ballpark price is going to be at the end of the day. A donor vehicle is one avenue I suppose but I might be waiting a while for the stars to align on that.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Saw this and thought it might interest you. powernation is swapping a SBC for a duramax.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wY71HxzCSdY

As for donors. C4500s and C5500s go for 8-10 grand at auction with 100,000 miles.

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

Powershift posted:

Saw this and thought it might interest you. powernation is swapping a SBC for a duramax.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wY71HxzCSdY

Oh nice, thanks - some interesting information here on what likely would need to be cut. I got the free week of Powernation to watch the rest lol (their web player fuckin sucks). It's interesting to see that the complete engine is coming in at almost 1000lbs. Worryingly, the Allison's own oil pan looks like it sticks down an unacceptable length below his frame rails, that plus the skid plate and stiffener to protect it all would add another inch or two below that and then you're just asking to get caught up a lot more, so I'll have to measure more to see how bad that might be.

My own measurements show that I currently have ~30" between the closed hood and the top of my front axle pumpkin. Axle tubes are about 4.5" lower than the top of the pumpkin and the pass. side axle tubes to the frame is 5-6". Pumpkin to motor mount is roughly 5" but they are weird mounts and that could be improved. When I attend to the suspension I think this will benefit from a small 1-2" lift. I'd like to be limited by the frame rather than the oil pan.

I've been doing some research and apparently there have been no Duramax m715 installs documented on the internet ever. On m715zone, the legend is told that one user got quite far into it but scrapped the idea after it would require too much surgery. Mainly the fitting of radiators and computers was becoming an issue in the length of the engine bay (?? I'm going to measure for this tomorrow to figure out what the issue is). Second the Allison is a very tall trans and would require a lot more tunnel modification (also shown in Powernation). I'm not really worried about cutting the cab floor too much. I also believe the Powernation oil pan modifications will have to be done for suspension clearance. I've never TIG welded before but I do have a multiprocess welder and just like any other problem in this stupid truck, throwing money and time at it will likely solve it.

One thing I've not been able to find so far is actual dimensions of a LB7/LBZ Duramax. I only ever see that "Height: approx 32", etc." being thrown around and I don't trust it at all without a dimensional drawing like this of a 6bt .

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Personally I'd stick with an inline turbodiesel, makes it easier for overhauls down the road and fitting turbocharger and accessories than a V8 turbodiesel.

LightRailTycoon
Mar 24, 2017
Detroit Diesel 71 series!

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

Haven't accomplished a ton so far this week. You probably can't clearly see the branding enough but I ordered a smaller PRP PRP!!! branded steering wheel to see if that would help with where I ideally want the seat. It gave me a bit more clearance but I'll definitely still need a tilt column. I found a few that are full columns for simplicity and aren't $1000, so it's not as big of a deal.

I started the task of removing the front grille, starting with the radiator and brush guard.

There was a lot of annoying handywork previously done to the inside of the grill, where it usually is easy to unbolt and remove (~32ish bolts? [e] 24), it was now welded in multiple spots, with radiator mounts welded in that block other bolts from being removed like a catch-22. The opposite of Nik Blackhurst worked on this thing before. In a good turn of events only 1 bolt broke!
HOURS LATER

You can see where the previous owner cut out some gussets to fit the steering box. I'll have to revisit this area properly. I'll also modify the grille so it goes in and comes out again much easier. A present to future-me.
The rest of the front clip seems unmodified and should come off easier if needed later on.

CommieGIR posted:

Personally I'd stick with an inline turbodiesel, makes it easier for overhauls down the road and fitting turbocharger and accessories than a V8 turbodiesel.

cursedshitbox posted:

The duality of goons. I'll never please everyone. Especially not cursedshitbox because my current conclusions are: Duramax is too complex, too expensive, history of not fitting in a 715 (especially if I still need to fit AC etc.). R2.8 is a bit underpowered, also expensive. The inbetween option, and one that I think is going to have to be it is: seen-it-a-thousand-times-be4bt.

Boringly they've been done to death, but that's also going to help with information and resources. The 4bt is a bit on the heavy side but nothing like a 6bt. The numbers I see from those things are actually pretty drat impressive and being all mechanical is a huge plus for tuning. The downsides are that it's gonna be a rattly ride but :shrug:

tuna fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Jul 2, 2021

casque
Mar 17, 2009
This is so cool! Where do you get those couplers for the roll cage?

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

casque posted:

This is so cool! Where do you get those couplers for the roll cage?

Thanks! Ballistic fabrication and TMR customs are where I've bought mine from so far. They only sell carbon steel couplers, other brands will sell chromoly for the chromo cages.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

2.8 or Duramax?

Comedy option 2.8L Duramax :haw:

181hp / 369 nice torques, comes with the 6L50 in the Colorado/Canyon or an eight speed in the Express/Savana (I can't for the life of me figure out if it's an 8L45 or 8L90).

It's actually an upgraded version of the VM Motori diesel last brought to the US in the Jeep Liberty CRD. I have one in my Canyon and if I thought I could remotely do it affordably, I'd have one in my TJ too. Getting up and going off the line even with ~5000lb of trailer behind it isn't a problem. The only enemy it has is the combination of highway speeds and hills when towing. You need a running start, and you just plant your foot on the floor the whole way up. It'll maintain speed just fine as long as you do that.

Mine turns in ~25MPG highway, ~22MPG city, ~16MPG towing aforementioned horse trailer.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

tuna posted:

The duality of goons. I'll never please everyone. Especially not cursedshitbox because my current conclusions are: Duramax is too complex, too expensive, history of not fitting in a 715 (especially if I still need to fit AC etc.). R2.8 is a bit underpowered, also expensive. The inbetween option, and one that I think is going to have to be it is: seen-it-a-thousand-times-be4bt.

Boringly they've been done to death, but that's also going to help with information and resources. The 4bt is a bit on the heavy side but nothing like a 6bt. The numbers I see from those things are actually pretty drat impressive and being all mechanical is a huge plus for tuning. The downsides are that it's gonna be a rattly ride but :shrug:

Sorry I've been offline for the week.

Nah don't sweat it. I can't please myself. Also lol I run a 7.3 IDI with a S257SX-E that's pushing almost 7 tons on 37s up and down trails. I am notthe voice of reason. ISB Common Rail has been on my brain the last week or so....as has a compound turbo 6BT.

Its insanely hard to find proper dims for the v8s, which yeah I agree is offputting.

don't bother with a 4BT. The six is about the same price and has two more holes on deck to help push that thing down the trail. The loud af noise can be dealt with using a shitload of firewall/hood/floorboard insulation. Poly mounts will make it vibe some. 6BTs are like the LS of the diesel world is all. I still love the poo poo out of them and all of its derivatives. Everytime my IDI gives me fits I secretly plan to turn it into a generator and drop a 6BT/ISB in its place. Bonus is that these mills come in schoolbuses and motorhomes so engine/transmission takeouts are really easy to find. The MH option usually comes with running a bit more punch than their industrial/schoolie counterparts.

More power is always better, but if that power can't be put down it is loving worthless. Be it suspension or traction at the tire...

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

Happy 4th of July all.

I got my new welding hood in and it's great.

I was finding that the wireless bluetooth signal for my cage to frame tie-ins was really weak and probably won't work well in a rollover, so I did what inevitably had to be done and converted them to steel. This took a bit longer than expected as nothing was quite as square or straight as I thought.

IOwnCalculus posted:

2.8 or Duramax?

Comedy option 2.8L Duramax :haw:

Haha I did do a bit of poking around about this motor but it seems like it would be a really complex swap and there's not a lot of information out there about it. Sourcing an engine + gubbins would also be difficult. This would be a cool swap but I think it's only likely to happen if you just happen to be in possession of an orphaned one.

cursedshitbox posted:

Sorry I've been offline for the week.

don't bother with a 4BT. The six is about the same price and has two more holes on deck to help push that thing down the trail. The loud af noise can be dealt with using a shitload of firewall/hood/floorboard insulation. Poly mounts will make it vibe some. 6BTs are like the LS of the diesel world is all. I still love the poo poo out of them and all of its derivatives. Everytime my IDI gives me fits I secretly plan to turn it into a generator and drop a 6BT/ISB in its place. Bonus is that these mills come in schoolbuses and motorhomes so engine/transmission takeouts are really easy to find. The MH option usually comes with running a bit more punch than their industrial/schoolie counterparts.

More power is always better, but if that power can't be put down it is loving worthless. Be it suspension or traction at the tire...

Welcome back! Don't bother with a 4bt? Uhho, might be too late.. We'll see..
I'm not a fan of the 6bt because of the weight and the extra size isn't helping anyone. A 4 is already quite heavy, that front axle and suspension setup doesn't need hundreds more lbs over it. The 4 can also seemingly get to the power band that interests me, 200-250hp will give you 400-590ft/lbs which sounds great to me! I do understand that they're kinda boring as the swap has been done a million times before.

tuna fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Jul 4, 2021

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

tuna posted:

Haha I did do a bit of poking around about this motor but it seems like it would be a really complex swap and there's not a lot of information out there about it. Sourcing an engine + gubbins would also be difficult. This would be a cool swap but I think it's only likely to happen if you just happen to be in possession of an orphaned one.

Yeah, that is an accurate sentiment. It's unfortunately just enough of an oddball and low volume engine that there's very little aftermarket support or information on transplanting it.

Right now the only way you could sanely start a swap would be to get your hands on a complete truck/van that is somehow too damaged to be repairable but not too damaged to be a sole donor.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

tuna posted:

they're kinda boring as the swap has been done a million times before.

I have a car with an engine swap that this describes, and I consider it a huge plus. A car that runs is far better than one that doesn’t.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

I have an increasingly large amount old parts laying around taking up all the space in the garage so I bought myself a fuckin lightsaber off amazon to take care of it! (one of the lovely cheap ones that I fully expect to not turn on tomorrow).

Yesss. Vanish you stupid gaudy 4x4 bumper that has no purpose in life.

ARRGHHHHAHAHA

Today's yield. Perfect for future gussets, brackets and all sorts.

Work is getting busy again so besides receiving my tilt steering column and a bunch of doodads I've not touched the truck itself. Tilt column is important because I'd like to figure out the ergo of the seat and then get to finalizing the rear main hoop triangulation of the cage, which I can't do until the seat is at least tacked in because I think it's going to have to poke out of the cab a bit. THEN I can take the cage out and burn it in properly. Been watching youtube and reading swap forums lot for research though. I'm a complete noob.

RIP Paul Walker posted:

I have a car with an engine swap that this describes, and I consider it a huge plus. A car that runs is far better than one that doesn’t.

Agreed, and given whatever limitations you have sometimes, it just has to get done. poo poo can always be improved in the future! I've not talked about this yet but this isn't the only truck I have to get road worthy again, so I can't wait around forever..