Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

2.8 or Duramax?

Comedy option 2.8L Duramax :haw:

181hp / 369 nice torques, comes with the 6L50 in the Colorado/Canyon or an eight speed in the Express/Savana (I can't for the life of me figure out if it's an 8L45 or 8L90).

It's actually an upgraded version of the VM Motori diesel last brought to the US in the Jeep Liberty CRD. I have one in my Canyon and if I thought I could remotely do it affordably, I'd have one in my TJ too. Getting up and going off the line even with ~5000lb of trailer behind it isn't a problem. The only enemy it has is the combination of highway speeds and hills when towing. You need a running start, and you just plant your foot on the floor the whole way up. It'll maintain speed just fine as long as you do that.

Mine turns in ~25MPG highway, ~22MPG city, ~16MPG towing aforementioned horse trailer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

tuna posted:

Haha I did do a bit of poking around about this motor but it seems like it would be a really complex swap and there's not a lot of information out there about it. Sourcing an engine + gubbins would also be difficult. This would be a cool swap but I think it's only likely to happen if you just happen to be in possession of an orphaned one.

Yeah, that is an accurate sentiment. It's unfortunately just enough of an oddball and low volume engine that there's very little aftermarket support or information on transplanting it.

Right now the only way you could sanely start a swap would be to get your hands on a complete truck/van that is somehow too damaged to be repairable but not too damaged to be a sole donor.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Okay now I'm glad to see I'm not entirely off base on the lack of 6Lx0E controllers. I've thought about putting one behind my LS1, but the only PCMs that can happily run the 6L80/90 require a 58x crank trigger that I don't have, I don't feel like installing, and I don't want to rewire the whole loving truck again.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

tuna posted:

Aha, the 58 tooth tach sensor thing fills in some of the puzzle. I recently cancelled a harmonic dampener because of 6l90 tach woes, I had no idea what sort of signal the 2650 would be looking for. This company wants us to use a $250 58x tach sensor to be compatible with the 2650, which is kind of annoying because I'd be just guessing if its going to be a fitment issue with a dampener.

After watching literal hours of video on ATF I suspect the reason the 6L transmissions need a 58x crank sensor was to deal with preventing false misfire codes with the torque converter clutch locked. Seems like you should be able to ignore that in a non-OBD2-compliant environment but perhaps not.

In your shoes that would be a hard choice. I love having a manual and 4.56 gears in my TJ because I can put it in first and low and pretty much ignore the clutch, with better engine braking than I ever got out of my 545RFE WJ. But the 6L50E programming on my Canyon Duramax is loving bang-on. Put it in tow/haul mode and tap the brake and the computer will downshift while closing off the turbo to act as an exhaust brake and slow you down quick.

If the 6R80 has a good and well documented computer available for it, seems like solving the mounting adapter is easier than reinventing that.