Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

Hi CSPAM. I figured we had a bunch of threads for different regions of the world and Africa seems like a big blindspot for me and for most of us here.

My main sources I've used for Africa are allafrica.com and Derek Davison's own fx.substack.com. Admittedly however I almost never bother to check them. For my own edification I'm going to start doing that maybe.

As most of us here are Marxists or Marx-ish I think people will probably talk a lot about China's newfound role in the region or about how awesome Sankara (RIP) was but I want this thread to be all encompassing. I don't want it to be too much about wars either, although the Ethiopia-Tigray conflict seems pretty pertinent right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

You should be ashamed for letting D&D have primacy on this subject and all affiliated material for so long you spineless loving trollop

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3846193&goto=lastpost

already exists.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

i can't believe you would try and corral us into a thread with ME nerds and try to do so straight with a link to blinken's needly mug

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

Office Pig posted:

i can't believe you would try and corral us into a thread with ME nerds and try to do so straight with a link to blinken's needly mug

We tried having a separate Africa thread and there simply wasn't enough traffic.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

:smith:

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
it was the intention of the imperialist powers to scourge all history of Africa from the cultural memory of the world, and tho we've gotten away from the Victorian era's effect on our view of the past and the world, it still makes it hard to causally learn things about Africa. you really do have to make a deliberate effort to do your own research. and im a lazy poo poo so I don't know enough to really talk about it :negative:

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

Tiler Kiwi posted:

it was the intention of the imperialist powers to scourge all history of Africa from the cultural memory of the world, and tho we've gotten away from the Victorian era's effect on our view of the past and the world, it still makes it hard to causally learn things about Africa. you really do have to make a deliberate effort to do your own research. and im a lazy poo poo so I don't know enough to really talk about it :negative:

I want to do something productive with my life as opposed to buying coins promoted by the scum of the earth for quick money so I'll try to do the heavy lifting

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

There are ecoterrorists in Nigeria calling themselves the Niger Delta Avengers and attacking oil installations. https://allafrica.com/stories/202106260133.html

Per wikipedia there is a splinter group called "Reformed Niger Delta Avengers" and also their actions have caused Nigeria to become a smaller oil producer than Angola.

Yossarian-22 has issued a correction as of 05:45 on Jun 27, 2021

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

Yossarian-22 posted:

There are ecoterrorists in Nigeria calling themselves the Niger Delta Avengers and attacking oil installations. https://allafrica.com/stories/202106260133.html

Per wikipedia there is a splinter group called "Reformed Niger Delta Avengers" and also their actions have caused Nigeria to become a smaller oil producer than Angola.

i gathered that they seemed to have some kind of economic impact the first time around but that seems a lot more noteworthy than you would assume from the deafening silence. perhaps low exposure is half the point for petro interests, but you would think there'd be more of a concerted interest in stamping out this kind of insurgency within a country nominally built upon oil and gas

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

shout out to John Bolton's one good policy position
https://twitter.com/AmbJohnBolton/status/1338973465395785733?s=20

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

I know about Western Sahara because one of my STEM friends freaks out about how the world will eventually run out of phosphate and fight over each other's reserves, and the region contains over 70% of the world's phosphate that's still in the soil

I just looked for an article and found out that New Zealand has been buying "blood phosphate" from the Moroccan government https://thespinoff.co.nz/society/19-11-2020/how-blood-phosphate-has-made-new-zealand-complicit-in-a-foreign-war/

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
the top gear africa episode had really good music and wagons are cool

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tiler Kiwi posted:

pre-imperial africa and even modern africa is less divided along political lines and more divided along cultural boundaries and routes, and the introduction of western notions of private property and political boundaries hosed up pretty much everyone's systems of subsistence and inter-group politics leading to extreme cases of winners and losers that many african countries have been unable to recover from.

like you take nomadic pastoralists and tell them okay we found you in this desert so now you live here and you don't ever go to that green pasture over there, good luck. then they starve and you're all "what the hell is wrong with these people why can't they figure this out"

tanzania has mount kilimanjaro because wilhelm wanted a mountain and queen victoria thought it would be nice to let him have a mountain. if you look at the southern border of kenya you'll see a weird little blip in the line, that's kilimanjaro, and that should tell you everything you need to know about how african countries were set up by colonial powers

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

Black Alliance for Peace condemns U.S. intervention in Ethiopia and warns that it shouldn't become another Libya situation. https://allafrica.com/stories/202106260057.html

"In Ethiopia and Eritrea, the U.S. interests are: to control or have undue influence over the Bab el-Mandeb Strait, a chokepoint critical to securing global energy, to challenge the robust presence of China, and to impose AFRICOM in the only country left in Africa that has evaded its control, Eritrea."

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

Tons of Saudi oil is apparently transported through the strait as it links the Gulf of Aden with the Red Sea.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Yossarian-22 posted:

Black Alliance for Peace condemns U.S. intervention in Ethiopia and warns that it shouldn't become another Libya situation. https://allafrica.com/stories/202106260057.html

"In Ethiopia and Eritrea, the U.S. interests are: to control or have undue influence over the Bab el-Mandeb Strait, a chokepoint critical to securing global energy, to challenge the robust presence of China, and to impose AFRICOM in the only country left in Africa that has evaded its control, Eritrea."

based on poo poo in the other thread eritrea isnt doing so hot in this entire situation themselves. not that blinken should add to the genocideathon by randomly droning everyone in a situation that is pretty chaotic.

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Yossarian-22 posted:

Jesus Christ

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

you can just read the BAP statement for yourself

quote:

Don’t Allow Another U.S.-NATO Libya in the Horn of Africa: A Statement by BAP’s U.S. Out of Africa Network and Horn of Africa Pan-Africans for Liberation and Solidarity
JUNE 24, 2021
Paternalistic U.S. government political posturing toward Africa has a history of turning into fatal consequences for the masses of African peoples. A decade ago, several of the same individuals who now hold positions in the Biden administration were accomplices in the U.S.-led NATO decimation of Libya, which was rationalized under the guise of protecting “pro-democracy” activists from massacre by the so-called dictator Colonel Muammar Gadaffi. Hiding behind a modern-day version of the "White Man's Burden," otherwise known as “Responsibility to Protect” or R2P, the United States and its NATO allies killed and maimed thousands of Libyans, with U.S. leaders like Secretary of State Hillary Clinton taking special satisfaction in the sadistic video recording of Gaddafi’s murder.

Given the catastrophic effects of the U.S.-NATO intervention in Libya, the Black Alliance for Peace’s U.S. Out of Africa Network (USOAN) and BAP member organization Horn of Africa Pan-Africans for Liberation & Solidarity (HOA PALS), condemn, under no uncertain terms, any and all forms of intervention and meddling in the conflict in Ethiopia. As it did against Libya, U.S. imperialism is weaponizing disinformation and misinformation to exploit and distort the complexity, historical context and political realities in the Horn of Africa to create the pretext for more direct intervention.

“Should those responsible for undermining a resolution of the crisis in Tigray fail to reverse course, they should anticipate further actions from the United States and the international community. We call on other governments to join us in taking these actions.” —U.S. Secretary of State, Antony Blinken, May 23, 2021 press statement

The attack on the federal base by the Tigray People's Liberation Front (TPLF) that started the conflict is now being used as a de-facto instrument of U.S. policy in Ethiopia to justify "humanitarian intervention." In this way, the primary contradiction in the Tigray region reflects broader dynamics in the Horn of Africa as a whole and can be boiled down to the common denominators of global capitalist hegemony and Western imperialism by way of its proxy actor, the TPLF. Western powers only curtail the right of self-determination for the Horn of Africa and Global South states.

We condemn all military violence, extrajudicial killings, sexual violence, displacement, theft, discrimination, harassment and intimidation perpetrated on innocent Tigrayans, as well as any and all unnecessary violence perpetrated on other Ethiopians and Eritreans in the ongoing conflict as a result of their ethnic, religious, or national identity, refugee status or political affiliation. We unequivocally support and uplift mutual cooperation, solidarity, and peace among all parties and people in Ethiopia, Eritrea, and the broader Horn of Africa region.

We support African-led, localized conflict resolution that is not tied to advancing imperialism, neo-colonialism or any other nefarious Western agendas. We believe in the inherent agency and ability of Africans on the continent to reach a resolution to the conflict peacefully and independently of Western aggression, destabilization, and extractive and exploitative economic interests.

The United States and its EU-NATO allies know no compassion or genuine concern for the Black lives in Ethiopia, the Horn of Africa or anywhere else Black people are in the world. Their true concerns are always selfish, racist and reflective of their objective geopolitical interests. In Ethiopia and Eritrea, their interests are:

To control or have undue influence over the Bab el-Mandeb Strait, a chokepoint critical to securing global energy;

to challenge the robust presence of China; and

to impose AFRICOM in the only country left in Africa that has evaded its control, Eritrea.

Africa is not underdeveloped and fraught with militarized instability because there is not enough involvement by Western Europe and its evil settler-colonial spawn, the USA. Anyone who believes that must also believe Africans are inferior savages. The fact is Africa is underdeveloped and destabilized precisely because of centuries of European colonialism and decades of U.S. and Western European neocolonialism. Any disposition held by Africans that lends legitimacy to intervention, sanctions, or the fake moral or altruistic dominion of Pan-European, white supremacist capitalist interests in Africa are based either on severe ignorance or treacherous opportunism.

U.S. foreign policy in Africa always involves enveloping any part of the continent that poses a threat to its geostrategic interests into its sphere of forever wars. In 2011, Black anti-imperialist forces were unable to effectively counter the plan by the U.S./EU/NATO Axis of Domination to destroy the revolutionary Pan-Africanist nation of Libya. This was partially because the action had the political cover of the first Black president, which confused and disarmed left opposition and made them objective collaborators with U.S. reaction.

BAP’s U.S. Out of Africa Network and Horn of Africa Pan-Africans for Liberation & Solidarity refuse to allow this fatal mistake to be made again.

Hands off Ethiopia and Eritrea!
#ShutDownAFRICOM!
#USOutofAfrica!

For more information, read HOA PALS’ report.
https://blackallianceforpeace.com/bapstatements/usoanhoapalstigray

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

now this is bappin’.

the all africa version doesnt do this statement justice by cutting out most of it.

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

Seems Eritrea has highly protectionist investment climate that the West doesn't like so I could see why they would jump at the chance to bark about Eritrean atrocities and impose sanctions. Not that the atrocities aren't real, mind you.

There is also a conflict over the Grand Ethiopian Renaissance Dam Ethiopia is trying to build between them, Sudan, and Egypt. U.S. sides with Egypt afaik, or at least Trump sided with them based on my tiny bit of research.

Ofc the president of Ethiopia is a huge neoliberal who has opened up tons of land for privatization which was probably secretly part of why he won the Nobel and much of the reason why the U.S. is far more upset at Eritrean than Ethiopian atrocities (that being said, U.S. seems like they preferred things when the TPLF were in charge of the country). Hundreds of thousands of Tigrayans and other minorities have been displaced as a result of Abiy Ahmed's policies.

Yossarian-22 has issued a correction as of 22:25 on Jun 27, 2021

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

SADC countries now intervening militarily to fight Al-Shabab in Mozambique despite the president being reluctant to allow it https://allafrica.com/view/group/main/main/id/00078484.html

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

Some good news: Britain and Germany are returning Kingdom of Benin era bronzes to Nigeria and there will be a commemorative museum. https://allafrica.com/view/group/main/main/id/00078473.html

Undoubtedly Europe is going on an apology tour to keep China from becoming even more of an ally to African countries though.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

multilateral military intervention is certainly not going to put down the insurgency in mozambique but it might prevent something like palma from getting taken over again. total is probably never going back but eni is still working on bringing their stuff online (and i think total was leading a consortium, no idea what the status of that project is).

someone who knows more about oil and gas feel free to weigh in, but what might end up dooming these lng megaprojects is that lng actually doesn't make money and is bad? i think?

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

biggest hochul head in china

Yossarian-22 posted:

Tons of Saudi oil is apparently transported through the strait as it links the Gulf of Aden with the Red Sea.

The US wants Africa so bad. I like this tidbit from AFRICOM regarding the Chinese PLAN base in Djibouti

https://news.usni.org/2021/04/20/africom-chinese-naval-base-in-africa-set-to-support-aircraft-carriers

quote:

The U.S. and French also have installations in the vicinity of the Chinese base. The U.S. Camp Lemonnier is an easy drive from the expanding Chinese base, and troops have complained of harassment from the Chinese, including lasers directed at U.S. aircraft. [:qq:]

Townsend told the committee the Chinese were looking at other places across Africa with the “intent to establish naval bases and air bases.”

While the base in Djibouti is one the most obvious sign of Chinese expansion on the continent, Townsend said that Beijing was growing its presence in Africa through civilian channels.

“China is of great concern. They are literally everywhere on the continent. They are placing a lot of bets down. They are spending a lot of money,” he said.
“They built a lot of critical infrastructure.”

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
i remember the early spin i heard where china was being maleficent cuz it was building infrastructure for Non Democracies or what have you

lol

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

what are good places to learn about the political history of africa if you are an absolute moron american?

kind of like the idea of an africa-specific thread, as ME can very much be its own busy place.

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

biggest hochul head in china

Tiler Kiwi posted:

i remember the early spin i heard where china was being maleficent cuz it was building infrastructure for Non Democracies or what have you

lol

it's so pathetic lol, they can't keep getting away with this!!

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

lol the english will return every other plundered artifact before they return the marbles

Fleetwood posted:

The US wants Africa so bad. I like this tidbit from AFRICOM regarding the Chinese PLAN base in Djibouti

https://news.usni.org/2021/04/20/africom-chinese-naval-base-in-africa-set-to-support-aircraft-carriers

bagging eritrea must have a jackpot at the state department or something. every few years a small wave of articles comes out along the lines of “Africas North Korea!”

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

Djobouti is interesting because it has like four major military bases from four different countries. It hosts AFRICOM central command and also a Chinese base (the only Chinese military base in the world) right near the capital. Lease payments to the country from the base-owning countries make up 5% of Djibouti's GDP

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Fleetwood posted:

The US wants Africa so bad.
If so they are really behind China, who is building infrastructure like mad and developing partnerships as a result. The US also of course missed the tragic European colonial rush through the continent, being too busy with asserting the Monroe doctrine and have always been on the back foot when it comes to Africa.

My family have some history in central Africa and consequentially I have done a lot of reading on the Congo Crisis. If you haven't read the story of Che's visit to the Simbas its really worth it.

Speaking of Congo, has Mount Nyiragongo, north of Goma, quieted down any? Haven't heard about it since the initial eruption.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

To populate the thread with recent good news: Benin bronzes to be repatriated by Germany. The Brit still says no.

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
nevermind

Dolphin has issued a correction as of 02:37 on Jun 28, 2021

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Insanite posted:

what are good places to learn about the political history of africa if you are an absolute moron american?

You have to work at it I have found, but resources are out there. For example, during the Congo crisis there were joint US-French-Belgian operations to air evacuate western hostages from various factions termed the "Dragon" operations (iirc Red Dragon, Black Dragon) and reports on these have been declassified and are available on the web.

The history of early colonial expansion into Africa, with a Congolese focus but it covers the rest of Europe catching up with Belgium) is covered by the entirely too depressing book King Leopold's Ghost. Its brilliant, but its also a gut wrenching read.

A more recent take that looks good (I have it but have not read it yet, having been more occupied in recent years by exploring issues of colonialism in North America) from post colonialism to more or less current times (Congo specific) is Dancing in the Glory of Monsters.

An excellent travel book that doubles as an overview of the history of the Rwandan genocide and subsequent recovery that I can recommend is Road Trip Rwanda. For an account of such a heavy subject it is at times hilariously funny and I think its a very worth while read to cut through our western perceptions of what Africa is.

I would also be interested in recommendations for more general accounts of other regions, as well as good histories of pre colonial Africa.

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

books grabbed. ty!

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

Yossarian-22 posted:

Djobouti is interesting because it has like four major military bases from four different countries. It hosts AFRICOM central command and also a Chinese base (the only Chinese military base in the world) right near the capital. Lease payments to the country from the base-owning countries make up 5% of Djibouti's GDP

didn't do much for them during their civil war, or the war with Eritrea.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
I had a coworker from Eritrea who taught me a little about the wars and politicking in Eastern Africa but he mostly talked about how he was worried about his mom who was still over there and in fragile health.

We were both working security at a hospital. He decided that it was bullshit and quit to start a restaurant and tax preparation business with his cousin. Restaurant closed while I was out of town for a few years but he was a smart dude so he's probably doing fine.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/ChrisCoons/status/1408832935185338370?s=20
https://twitter.com/ChrisCoons/status/1408380708977008640?s=20

coons is Biden's go to guy for Africa, so it looks like the US is backing a new country in East Africa to me

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

how europe underdeveloped africa and the wretched of the earth are both very good books for understanding africa albeit dated (in the sense of being older, not in the sense of being obsolete)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
how much history did europe wreck down there anyways? or was the scale of that effort hidden when the brits intentionally burned all their own documents detailing their colonizer crimes