Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

https://twitter.com/kambale/status/1434536815206273029

Lol, of course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

Oh man did Condé say something about land reform

This may be overly Latin-America centric of me

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

A few things about Conde:

- He was the first democratically elected president in Guinea's history
- He changed the constitution to allow him to run for a third term
- He has sought closer relations with China
- His new budget was going to cut the budgets of both the police and the military
- He is a social democrat

Moreover, 25% of Guinea's national income comes from mining, and Guinea has one-third of the world's bauxite ore, which is used to make aluminum. China has received massive bauxite concessions in return for infrastructure projects.

Yossarian-22 has issued a correction as of 20:12 on Sep 5, 2021

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

I found this from some random googling. Looks like the president of Guinea was one of Tony Blair's many clients. https://www.theafricareport.com/23836/tony-blair-the-man-who-whispers-in-the-ears-of-africas-presidents/

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

Yossarian-22 posted:

- His new budget was going to cut the budgets of both the police and the military

when a bunch of dudes show up in tacticool outfits telling you they're in charge this may as well be your one and only explanation why

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

seems the coup government has been in talks with the rest of the region after levying sanctions

quote:

Four figures of the mobilization against a third term of former President Alpha Condé received a triumphant welcome on Saturday in the streets of Conakry.

The triumphant return to Guinea of the four figures turned into a demonstration of thousands of people which caused a monster traffic jam Saturday, September 18 in Conakry.

Guinea's ruling junta on Saturday ruled out exile for detained former president Alpha Conde and said transition towards civilian rule would be done in accordance with "the will of the people".

The statement from the ruling council came in defiance of international pressure for Conde's release and a six-month timetable for elections after a coup on September 5 sparked global condemnation.

It also followed the visit on Friday of a mission from ECOWAS led by two heads of state from the 15-member West African bloc.

Mamady Doumbouya, the colonel who led the coup, told the visiting delegation that "it was important for ECOWAS to listen to the legitimate aspirations of the people of Guinea," said a junta spokesman, Colonel Amara Camara, at the ruling council's first press conference on the six-month deadline.

Doumbouya stressed the need not to repeat the "mistakes of the past", recalling that national consultations to outline the transition had begun on Tuesday and that "only the sovereign people of Guinea will decide its destiny", Camara said.

"It is also clear to all parties that the former president will remain in Guinea," he added.

During their visit, the Ghanaian head of state Nana Akufo-Addo, whose country holds the rotating presidency of ECOWAS, and his Ivorian counterpart Alassane Ouattara, presented the junta with the organisation's demands for elections within six months.

They also insisted on the release of Conde.

"We had very frank, fraternal talks with Colonel Doumbouya and his associates and collaborators and I think that ECOWAS and Guinea will find a way to walk together," Akufo-Addo said at the end of the visit.

The ruling council, which now designates Doumbouya as "President of the Republic and Head of State", said that the consultation sessions scheduled for Friday with banks, insurance companies and unions would be held on Saturday.

This consultation will continue next week, it announced, including Monday meetings with cultural actors, press associations and those within the informal sector.

The military has already held talks with political parties, religious leaders, the heads of mining companies, key players in this poor but resource-rich country, and other figures.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Colonel Amara Camara is a fantastic name

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

if the coup government wanted to do something drastic with conde it feels like they would have done so somewhere sooner than this after posing with his sunday afternoon dad-rear end. perhaps there's an information blackout at effect here but it's kind of jarring that an africom subsidized overthrow of the government has been so casual. it doesn't really seem like any of the bauxite and other mineral exports of hit any kind of snag to speak of, which is something you would expect to happen by now, or perhaps i'm just expecting too much out of what's likely a slow burn in the background.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

i say swears online posted:

Colonel Amara Camara is a fantastic name

carries a beat :drum:

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

other motives aside they probably just don't want to let him immediately form a government-in-exile in langely

Office Pig posted:

carries a beat :drum:

guinean hannah montana

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
A new species of Anopheles mosquito (the kind that carry malaria) is establishing in Africa and it’s bad, folks.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Platystemon posted:

A new species of Anopheles mosquito (the kind that carry malaria) is establishing in Africa and it’s bad, folks.

pro-click, super interesting stuff

quote:

Already, some 40% of the African population is urban, and this proportion is expected to rise to 60% by 2050. However, An. gambiae and An. funestus, like most Anopheles species, cannot breed in small containers, or in water with organic pollution, and therefore these mosquitoes tend to be excluded by the process of urbanisation. As a result, African towns typically have fewer mosquitoes and less malaria than surrounding rural areas. The centres of large African cities can be completely free of malaria transmission, and in some countries, these are the only places that are reliably free of transmission. Thus, while many health problems are exacerbated by the ongoing process of urbanisation, malaria is one problem that tends to be “built out” as housing improves and the landscape gradually becomes more and more polluted and paved over with concrete.

Indian cities, by contrast, have An. stephensi, which breeds abundantly in water-storage containers of all kinds, and is the only important malaria vector that is well-adapted to urban areas. India is therefore the only part of the world where the process occurs backwards, with malaria routinely exported from cities to the surrounding villages.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I also want to draw attention to the closing:

quote:

Can we learn from previous invasive vectors?

In the 1930s, An. gambiae invaded Brazil. The world was slow to react, but eventually recognised that in doing nothing, it would spread throughout the continent, and the consequences would be truly catastrophic. The scientific community mobilised and started a coordinated campaign with international support. This was before the advent of DDT and other synthetic insecticides, and required vigorous, disciplined, and sustained efforts. But in the end, An. gambiae was completely eradicated in Brazil. This is one of the big success stories of pre-WW2 public health. If it had failed, or delayed too long, then for the last 80 years, we might have seen African levels of malaria transmission intensity in much of South and Central America. The costs are hard to estimate, but would certainly include tens of millions of additional deaths and many billions of additional dollars for sustained malaria control interventions.

Of course, eradicating An. stephensi from Africa would be difficult and expensive. But it would almost certainly be easier than it was to eradicate An. gambiae from Brazil. It would also be much cheaper, in the long run, than leaving the new species to spread to towns and cities throughout Africa, and then spend many years trying to suppress it locally, using interventions that are expensive and only partially effective. This is an “emerging infectious disease” disaster that we can still prevent – but only if we act decisively now.

Reading up on the elimination of A. gambiæ from Brazil is how I came across this article. We did that nearly a hundred years ago, when the field of infectious disease was in such infancy that we barely knew what viruses were.

It is a crime that today the West stands idly by.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

we could easily save a half-mil people a year from a horrible death and millions more from debilitating sickness with the bare minimum of effort but we cannot because the first world is the great satan

i got malaria the same time i got cholera but i could pay the $400 hospital bill so i lived

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

no wonder you swear online

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

i swear by IV saline bags!!

don't get cholera, folks

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
My personal experience with malaria is that I travelled to malaria‐endemic areas, used chemoprophylaxis, and didn’t get malaria.

I did know a good man who died to West Nile Virus, which is considered by epidemiologists to be a neglected tropical disease despite being increasingly widespread in temperate North America and Europe.

I’d post the U.S. map, but it’s literally every state, territory, and district except for Alaska, Hawai‘i, and Guam.

It’s like the West neglects this disease out of spite, lest some of their efforts trickle down to the global south.

Platystemon has issued a correction as of 08:17 on Sep 21, 2021

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

You probably aren't too far off on that last part. Immiseration of the global south produces propaganda material that is core to the pan-European right and even the more 'normal' imperialists. Haiti is a more popular example of it in the western hemisphere, but a lot of what happens in Africa revolves around having a specific people to demonize, and it is by virtue of the fact that they are so caught up in centuries of colonial projects that it's impossible to extricate them from it without admitting to the fundamentally exploitative nature of the world as it has been for the existence of most powerful dynasties.

Malaria being a problem for 'those people' likely drives an extremely immoral cost-benefit analysis for not ever doing anything about it. Like, who's going to get it in the world that matters? Texas? Who gives a gently caress it'll just snipe the people who aren't total poo poo anyway

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Platystemon posted:

My personal experience with malaria is that I travelled to malaria‐endemic areas, used chemoprophylaxis, and didn’t get malaria.

I did know a good man who died to West Nile Virus, which is considered by epidemiologists to be a neglected tropical disease despite being increasingly widespread in temperate North America and Europe.

I’d post the U.S. map, but it’s literally every state, territory, and district except for Alaska, Hawai‘i, and Guam.

It’s like the West neglects this disease out of spite, lest some of their efforts trickle down to the global south.

west nile's first case in texas this year was in dallas, far away from the tropical areas of the state. it has an extremely high mortality rate of like 8% here, and we get a couple hundred cases a year

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

quote:

Sounds like it's endemic. We just have to learn to live with it.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
There are a couple hundred cases per year that you know of. In general, only a fraction of a percent of cases are detected. From the link I posted earlier,

quote:

In this study, we estimated nearly 7 million WNV infections in the continental US. This is likely an underestimate since the few studies that evaluate testing frequency have determined that only approximately 40% of cases that meet criteria for WNND are tested upon presentation to a healthcare facility

That’s seven million in twenty years, but still not great.

There’s a vaccine for horses, because that’s what’s really important. :horsedrugs:

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

I've been neglecting my baby thread. Sorry about all that.

Anyway, food for thought. https://twitter.com/PopulismUpdates/status/1440863770054516737?s=19

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

seems we've had a pretty good failure streak lately!

k... kind of

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
https://twitter.com/AJEnglish/status/1440783070810890240?s=19

Algeria served diplomatic relations a few weeks ago with Morocco. Largely over the independence movement in Western Sahara. Which Algeria supports. They also claimed the huge wildfires in August were started by Moroccan-backed rebels.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

How explosive is Lake Kivu?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
This is the son of the previous president who was killed by rebels earlier this year after being in charge via a coup d'état since 1990 so I'm sure things are definitely going to change

https://twitter.com/AfricaElect/status/1441705782479781895?s=19

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

https://twitter.com/AIDSPortal/status/1442407475815206913
treading old ground for certain but the europeans are jackals

ELTON JOHN
Feb 17, 2014
the Gambia is a small west African country that is located in Senegal's mouth

an election is coming up in the Gambia, and it's an important one. back in 2016 the country managed to vote out and, with some help from the international community, dismiss a dictator that had been in power since 1994. his replacement, Adama Barrow, was committed to democracy and reconciliation and etc etc. significantly he has also been outspoken about making it easier for the Gambia diaspora to vote from abroad. in the Gambia, you cant talk about either the economy nor the political landscape without including the 118,000 Gambians who live abroad. in a country of 2.2 million people with like 1.3 million people of voting age, they and their families in the Gambia are an important part of winning an election. in 2020, 15% of the Gambia's GDP came from remittances.

emigration is a problem in the Gambia. people dont have money, and a lot of young people (half of the Gambia's population is under 25) make the decision to leave for Europe, usually overland via Agadez in Niger and up through Libya. many of them don't make it to the Mediterranean and end up victims of human trafficking in Libya. forced labor and prostitution are common. even if they get to Europe their prospects are not great and many end up homeless and the lucky ones manage to find their way back home. for these reasons, finding ways to help youth unemployment in the Gambia are a foremost issue on voter's minds. Barrow has mostly failed to achieve anything meaningful in this regard, and he has failed to make the voting process easier for the diaspora as promised. the election will likely be close, if Barrow does achieve a victory it will largely be due to the inability for the diaspora to vote (from what i know the African diaspora in general tend to vote against incumbents, especially when they exhibit signs of becoming dictators.) Barrow has hinted that he will not relinquish power if he loses. he said he would rather die than face the shame of losing an election. as is often the case in Africa, he is also likely afraid of being prosecuted for the corruption he's committed while in power if he loses.

so if Barrow loses, the question will be whether or not he steps down. if he does not step down, the international community may again be forced to intervene as they did after Jammeh's defeat in 2016. even if he wins, his legitimacy will be in question due to his (likely intentional) failure to reform the voting system to make it easier for the diaspora to vote. a few short years of relative stability may come to an end on Saturday.

also they vote by putting marbles into buckets with the candidate's pictures of them which is cool imo

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Detailed article about the world's largest peat bog in DRC on the border with Republic of Congo in WaPo and its implications for potential resource wealth vs huge injection of carbon into the atmosphere. Use the usual methods to get around the paywall: https://www.washingtonpost.com/climate-environment/interactive/2021/congo-peatlands-carbon-emissions/?itid=hp-top-table-main

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Bilirubin posted:

Detailed article about the world's largest peat bog in DRC on the border with Republic of Congo in WaPo and its implications for potential resource wealth vs huge injection of carbon into the atmosphere. Use the usual methods to get around the paywall: https://www.washingtonpost.com/climate-environment/interactive/2021/congo-peatlands-carbon-emissions/?itid=hp-top-table-main

*flies to the upper atmosphere and back*

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Germany returns some of the Benin bronzes: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/jul/01/germany-hands-over-two-benin-bronzes-to-nigeria

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
loving finally, really nice of them to remember to finalise the paperwork for the return of all that stolen property

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
abdulrazak gurnah, anybody here familiar with his work? impressions, etc

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

in the last two months nigerian social media has been inundated with peter obi, running for president not affiliated with either major party. very astroturfed feel to it all but afaik he's not evil

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

giant prison attack near the capitol, 800 prisoners freed including dozens of boko haram. that was like ten miles from where i lived lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LSqPj4CQ99U

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4t1zDhu6_FU

slaps

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Interesting when Nigerian elections trend in the United States

https://twitter.com/OfficialPDPNig/status/1548558133554864128?s=20

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

osun is a swing state, this was a rematch that went the other way from 2018. in general things are in decline and so i would expect more events like the above where the incumbent APC loses to often the only option for opposition, the PDP. like the US' upcoming midterm results, this won't really mean an endorsement for either the US' republicans or Nigeria's PDP

i'm seeing it more and more that the labour party's candidate, peter obi, has the momentum. they're a nobody party and he pretty much swooped in and gobbled up the apparatus so it's just a shell; i don't know his ideology. the press likes him, but other than that the only people i see talking about him are facebook intelligentsia so dunno if i'm in a bubble there (probably)

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

lol speak o' the devil

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

https://www.facebook.com/RNBblog/posts/pfbid021PonFMmayyr4HV9chK4zGEQmpQCPxAbtmhRyEyoCyubifdGXJBhVs2nop6iih64jl

quote:

JUST IN::
If Peter Obi was an American or even African American, Americans would have given him a one-way presidential ticket without him contesting, America and the world at large have not gotten the chance Nigerians have right now to correct their mistakes.
Americans saw Peter's speech on one of their local television programs, after his speech, there was a standing Ovation for him all over America.
~~ Tom Hanks

i like the phrase "American or even African American"

also everybody stood up and clapped