Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
growing up over here obv I was exposed mostly to japanese cars from the 70s and a lil bit of european stuff

usually only see an american car a handful of times in a year, outside of classic car meetups etc

I learned to drive in one of these

:smugmrgw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
i would love to have one of those

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
look how shiny the tires are lol

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
the first car i loved was my 77 nova sedan

with the straight six and a single barrel carb. Still had enough torque to be fun, but it gave me 26 mpg on a road trip to Chicago and back too. Seated six. Rear deck cutouts for 6x9's; we all ran Pioneer cones and Sony head units. Life Is Peachy never sounded so good. Five hundred bucks in '99

would be fun to buy one and megasquirt it to get the old vibes without having to gently caress with a carb

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

President Beep posted:

i would love to have one of those

I like the coupes

known as an SL couple

but the SR coupe which is the corolla from the second half of the 70s was soooo iconic over here

the creme de la creme of these however was the mazda rx3 coupe

poo poo that thing rules

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Jonny 290 posted:

Rear deck cutouts for 6x9's; we all ran Pioneer cones and Sony head units. Life Is Peachy never sounded so good.

classic, seems some things in life are absolutely universal, I coulda written this

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

The tesla model s seems like it's a pretty good car on par with the rest of the cars posted itt.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
for me to poop on

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Look at this sporty looking car.

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

honey, oh please, it's just a machine

echinopsis posted:

I like the coupes

:cool:

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

honey, oh please, it's just a machine

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Look at this sporty looking car.

wow it’s going so fast it’s like it’s on fire

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

i had a 73 dodge dart during college that looked like this

it had a nice 318 v8 + an edelbrock 4 barrel carb, have a lot of great memories from it

it was fun, but terrible in the snow and so i traded it for a subaru when i moved to new england

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
im thinking of going over to toyota land and indulging one of my deepest car things which is an LS400

i will tolerate black but i really want gold on pearl. i will not put RiMz or poo poo on it. i will love it and cruise around at any speed i want, silently and smoothly, and i will have a real speedometer and stereo

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

i had a CVCC hondamatic for a while. it was in great condition for a stock 76 in 2009, but it needed a little love and i had neither time nor money

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
I already own a 60’s car and I don’t have enough spare time to work on that or drive it. and if you don’t keep working on it, it does not keep running.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
ive never owned a car as new as the ones itt. beep's right, the drop in compression in the early 70s was a big deal. show me a car that's cooler in 1979 than it was in 1969.

the only thing that comes to mind is the jeep CJ, because the CJ7 is the pinnacle of the brand, and that didnt happen until like 76 or 77 or somewhere thenabouts. and horsepower isnt really too important in those

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
lol the management that might be more true in your case than for most. ive seriously neglected some stuff for years before when my priorities were elsewhere, and once i got the battery charged up they lit right off. i think yours is more of a german problem than a 60s problem

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
if i had to buy something built after 2010 it'd probably be the newest gen miata coupe

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Jonny 290 posted:

im thinking of going over to toyota land and indulging one of my deepest car things which is an LS400

i will tolerate black but i really want gold on pearl. i will not put RiMz or poo poo on it. i will love it and cruise around at any speed i want, silently and smoothly, and i will have a real speedometer and stereo

are these the ones with the legendary lexus v8s?

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Roosevelt posted:

i had a CVCC hondamatic for a while. it was in great condition for a stock 76 in 2009, but it needed a little love and i had neither time nor money

fuckin hell lol one of these was my first ever experience of a automatic transmission and I vividly remember slamming all the passengers of the cars faces against what was in front of them when I hit the brakes hard with my left foot trying to push the clutch in when I came to a stop. of course autos dont have clutches just clown shoe sized brake pedals

my current car is a manual honda fit and after a decade and a half of autos, coming back to a manual has been interesting, interesting for me to notice in my own "driving psychology", that being able to feel the engine directly connect with the ground makes quite a difference to how I treat driving altogether.

I'm often driving and I think that yeah an auto would probably be mechanically nicer overall to the longevity of the car and the passenger ride, but I am more invested in my driving and the car simply thru virtue of being able to feel the engine engage directly with the road. its a subtle thing that is lost on most people and soon wont matter I guess, probably the last pure fossil fuel car I'll ever own

unless somehow I come into enough riches to be able to have one of these things outside my house

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

Silver Alicorn posted:

heyo I'm practically a lurker nowadays I guess

:same:

I love these amber forums

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

I learnt to drive on a blue 1991 Ford tractor with bucket attachment

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

echinopsis posted:

I'm often driving and I think that yeah an auto would probably be mechanically nicer overall to the longevity of the car and the passenger ride

it sounds like you need to practice driving smoothly, lol

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
lol

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

70s land yachts own but fuckin hell parking in spaces designed for modern near-urban living in them is hell and a half

poo poo, even a 90s land yacht like a mercury grand marquis, which is only fairly large and not 70s large family sedan large, can be a right bum-sticker and a half to try to get into one of those little slightly diagonal parking spots they love to put in nowadays. backing out of one of those in a 1972 lincoln continental would be the most nervewracking loving thing

anyways lurkers: post more! we don't bite. much. and if we do, it's more like a cat play biting you because you poked its exposed belly

post your cats too

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Displeased Moo Cow posted:

I learnt to drive on a blue 1991 Ford tractor with bucket attachment

very strange for a non-farmer but ok.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
dw

echinopsis fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Jun 27, 2021

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
theoretically i learned to drive at eight since i was roped into driving the flatbed around the fields for people to toss hay bales on (side note gently caress ever doing square bale hay again)

but more realistically my first car that i drove for like a decade was an old 86 chevrolet celebrity station wagon. tbh i love wagons they’re just so goddamned handy

Asleep Style
Oct 20, 2010

echinopsis posted:

my current car is a manual honda fit

brother :cheers:

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

mediaphage posted:

theoretically i learned to drive at eight since i was roped into driving the flatbed around the fields for people to toss hay bales on (side note gently caress ever doing square bale hay again)

but more realistically my first car that i drove for like a decade was an old 86 chevrolet celebrity station wagon. tbh i love wagons they’re just so goddamned handy

hoo boy. I’ve not seen a chevy celebrity in ages.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

was it light blue?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

President Beep posted:

was it light blue?

black with a red pinstripe

to make it ~~sporty~~

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

mediaphage posted:

black with a red pinstripe

to make it ~~sporty~~

:slick:

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

my first “roadworthy” car was a 1980 cutlass that i took the 3.8 liter v6 out of (NB the original engine was one of GM’s awful 350 diesels) and replaced with a gas chevy 350. was still slow as balls but it sounded cool at the time*.

*i kinda hate loud things now

aol keyword party
Sep 27, 2005

you can find a pleasure of shooting prolific amounts of pictures,
ok ill post more
jonny get the lexus
every time i see one on the road i get so distracted that the technology overkill in my car is like hey pay attention to ME

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

aol keyword party posted:

ok ill post more
jonny get the lexus
every time i see one on the road i get so distracted that the technology overkill in my car is like hey pay attention to ME

hello, posting pal

aol keyword party
Sep 27, 2005

you can find a pleasure of shooting prolific amounts of pictures,

fart simpson posted:

hello, posting pal

hello good morning fart simpson

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

good morning/afternoon/evening from where you are in the world.