Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Berkshire Hunts
Nov 5, 2009
I drive an ‘05 forester when I have to drive. lord willing and the creek don’t rise I will never have to own another car

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Armauk posted:

good morning/afternoon/evening from where you are in the world.

i’m in yospos, op.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
as a former lurker i think this thread is great. come post with us, m’goon

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

President Beep posted:

i’m in yospos, op.

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

how many computers do you???????

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

first car was a 1990 chevy beretta gt, a gm coupe that actually kinda owned in its own quirky ways. one day if I have dumb-car-project money and time (so, probably never lol) I want to take the body of a Beretta and drop it on the powertrain from a C5 corvette because they're almost identical in wheelbase

current car is a 2017 BRZ. fun car, good mileage, but horrible for hauling anything. I think I managed to fit three guitars, an amplifier, and my PC in it and have just enough room for a very uncomfortably seated buddy in the passenger seat on moving day. lottery notwithstanding, I will drive this car until it's not worth fixing anymore

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Didnt they do a thing where they intentionally put weird/lovely tires on there so they'd 'drift better' or some F&F poo poo like that? theyve always intrigued me other than that

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Jonny 290 posted:

Didnt they do a thing where they intentionally put weird/lovely tires on there so they'd 'drift better' or some F&F poo poo like that? theyve always intrigued me other than that

they have skinny Prius tires so it’s easier for this car with no torque to break traction

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Jonny 290 posted:

yeah, the stock tires are craaaaaap. I bought mine pre-owned, and the previous owner put 225R18s on it so it corners like a dream. fucker dinged up the fancy rear end rims he bought for it though, so one of these days I need to get them fixed up so it doesn't look like I'm poo poo at parallel parking

they aren't particularly powerful cars but you can the-box-said-ten-horsepower them up a fair bit and knock out some of the torque issues with a three hundred dollar of the shelf tune kit

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

sounds like a fun little car. wouldn’t mind getting something like that in a few years’ time (once our second-mortgage-level daycare costs go away).

brz, miata, an old triumph or mg if I’m feeling especially masochistic…

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

yeah, they're great fun. I got mine for a bit less than average market value because it's not a manual (and because I told the dealership I'd write them a cheque right then and there if they knocked another two grand off their asking price) but the automatic in manual mode is responsive as all hell and actually holds gears as long as you want it to, so if you like the feeling of going fast while still being safe and your left knee sucks or whatever then the automatic is plenty fine. same 6-speed aisin one toyota uses in a bunch of lexuses too so it's rated for way more torque than the BRZ can ever produce

friggin subaru didn't introduce carplay to them until the 2018 model year though despite most of their other vehicles getting it in like 2015 :argh:

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i'm not necessarily a hp lord anyways. i still consider my old e36 325 with an m3 diff and fat staggered tires to be way more fun than the 540, which does go fast in straight line, but it's kinda boat-ey. the 325 i could just loving wail on the I6 and push it even in corners and the thing just would not lose the rear

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

that’s my perfect car

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
you should look in to tractors, op. they're more your style

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I stayed up late watching racing youtubes and playing a little bit of rally game

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

you should look in to tractors, op. they're more your style

I’m much better at drawing cars though.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

echinopsis posted:

I stayed up late watching racing youtubes and playing a little bit of rally game

hell yeah man. I sometimes have drag racing vids on in the background while i work.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

President Beep posted:

I sometimes have drag racing vids on in the background while i work.

wish you'd sashay away from yospos

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

bitch don’t make me take off these earrings.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

President Beep posted:

for me to poop on

Yes OP, you poo poo on the floor as a tribute to Elon's greatness.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

President Beep posted:

bitch don’t make me take off these earrings.

ooh, they're hackmanite

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

NoneMoreNegative posted:

wish you'd sashay away from yospos

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

President Beep posted:

hell yeah man. I sometimes have drag racing vids on in the background while i work.

I was watching this channel driver61 and I dont really care for f1 but reading about the level of engineering is insane

so your front splitter/spoiler/thing isn't allow to flex and has to have certain ground clearance. and they test the flexure by putting 200kg weights on the front of the car

but red bulls engineers had placed the carbon fibre sheets in such an setup and orientation across the front thing that placing weights where they did didn't cause flexure, but wind going across it at higher speeds could make it flex in a particular way and then again at even higher speeds it flexed flatter for less resistance

the level of engineering to create such a structure is beyond incredible.

and gently caress I knew those things would be hard to drive but no loving clue. didn't really occur to me before that so much of the engineering requires the car to be driven in such a specific way that it just doesn't work if you don't. which mostly means they have to be driven fast to even be able to use the brakes coz the brakes dont work when they're cold, no downforce if its too slow.

or the little tricks some drivers do. there was some driver who would understeer heaps going into corners, which would heat up the front tyres enough to give him superior grip on the front end when coming out of the corner allowing more acceleration out of the corner.

I dont find it very interesting to watch but as far as human achievement goes its very interesting

Shaman Linavi
Apr 3, 2012

i like watching car go fast

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Shaman Linavi posted:

same but not in a circle

aol keyword party
Sep 27, 2005

you can find a pleasure of shooting prolific amounts of pictures,

Jonny 290 posted:

i'm not necessarily a hp lord anyways. i still consider my old e36 325 with an m3 diff and fat staggered tires to be way more fun than the 540, which does go fast in straight line, but it's kinda boat-ey. the 325 i could just loving wail on the I6 and push it even in corners and the thing just would not lose the rear

i sold my passat W8 wagon to a guy at work and he offers to sel it back to me occasionally, not a hp lord but goddamn pushing that pedal down in a stupid engine like that is FUN

aol keyword party fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Jun 28, 2021

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
f1 is an exercise in working around the rules in ways that are technically not cheating. for example, no dynamic brake force distribution systems allowed, so engine management system software began to apply selective engine resistance when it senses the car is nearing stability limits.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Shaman Linavi posted:

I like driving car fast

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

echinopsis posted:

post your fave 70s automobiles itt

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

this is technically classified as a cruise missile

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

the ford pegasus

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

The Management posted:

this is technically classified as a cruise missile

modernize it a little bit and construct a cruze missile

raspurtin
Apr 18, 2005

raspurtin fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Jun 28, 2021

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
that flying pinto shockingly killed its inventor

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

aol keyword party posted:

i sold my passat W8 wagon to a guy at work and he offers to sel it back to me occasionally, not a hp lord but goddamn pushing that pedal down in a stupid engine like that is FUN

gently caress yeah. weird motors are cool. friend had one of those weird VWs with the 15 degree offset cylinders and it was pretty nifty

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
electric engines are the future for sure but they don’t do anything like an ICE as far as being interesting goes

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

echinopsis posted:

electric engines are the future for sure but they don’t do anything like an ICE as far as being interesting goes

pass there is some interesting stuff out there

i particularly enjoy the idea of quad motor cars with each wheel getting its own system

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

echinopsis posted:

they are incredibly boring. hell, modern slick ICE engines with 8-10 speed transmissions that shift every 250 RPM are quite boring, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

:nice: