Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

mediaphage posted:

pass there is some interesting stuff out there

i particularly enjoy the idea of quad motor cars with each wheel getting its own system

there are some interesting things done with electric cars for sure, but electric engines themselves?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
a car with independent from and rear control could be set so the car was turning front wheels forward and back wheels backwards and do a huge 4 wheel burnout

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

echinopsis posted:

there are some interesting things done with electric cars for sure, but electric engines themselves?

i think if there wasn’t interesting stuff and advancements to be made with electric motors for cars we wouldn’t see manufacturers bring design and production of same in house and not talk about it

this is not my field of course, i only know what i read about. but i think there’s some more interesting stuff going on that mostly just doesn’t comparatively get any pr

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

mediaphage posted:

this is not my field of course

great another gd farmer

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

President Beep posted:

great another gd farmer

look i rent it ok i needed the space to grow extra hay

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

mediaphage posted:

look i rent it ok i needed the space to grow extra hay

the cows are delicate ecosystems and don't like to go graze in the snow

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

mediaphage posted:

the cows are delicate ecosystems and don't like to go graze in the snow

(i mean i don't really blame them)

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

President Beep posted:

great another gd farmer

gd is short for g-dragon

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
good dragon simulated vaginas

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

threads back on track

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

mediaphage posted:

i think if there wasn’t interesting stuff and advancements to be made with electric motors for cars we wouldn’t see manufacturers bring design and production of same in house and not talk about it

this is not my field of course, i only know what i read about. but i think there’s some more interesting stuff going on that mostly just doesn’t comparatively get any pr

suppose what I mean is that electric engines are relatively simple devices that don't have endless configurations of cylinders and valves and stroke/diameter and valve timing etc

there might be something interesting there from an electronics perspective but wake me up when kids start having posters of cpus on their walls

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

echinopsis posted:

there might be something interesting there from an electronics perspective but wake me up when kids start having posters of cpus on their walls

this is yospos, echi

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
"oh you can vary the windings" - some dude trying to make it sound that cars that sound like hair clippers are cool

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

fart simpson posted:

this is yospos, echi

ugh

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

fully sick

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

President Beep posted:

great another gd farmer

get bent

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

lol

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

lol

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

echinopsis posted:

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
i'm the hastily-scrawled mspaint redactions

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
cant let people know about the jizz rag dudes got trying to stop a draft

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

mediaphage posted:

every car maker used to have a whole division dedicated to designing engines. they are being slowly defunded. electric motors are a commodity they buy from suppliers. there’s little value in making your own motor.

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

President Beep posted:

great another gd farmer

faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
mer

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

gently caress!

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Displeased Moo Cow posted:

faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

t

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

based on an mr2 apparently

so drat sick

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe

Kazinsal posted:

yeah, they're great fun. I got mine for a bit less than average market value because it's not a manual (and because I told the dealership I'd write them a cheque right then and there if they knocked another two grand off their asking price)

A lot of dealerships actually get kickbacks if they put you on financing. So if you're haggling and trying to get to a low price, don't tell them that you're gonna pay cash. Wait to mention that until you've already agreed on price. Instead of "I'll write a check right now" you should say "I'll buy it right now" :eng101:

Kazinsal posted:

the automatic in manual mode is responsive as all hell and actually holds gears as long as you want it to, so if you like the feeling of going fast while still being safe and your left knee sucks or whatever then the automatic is plenty fine.

100% agreed, I'm a convert to automatic because of my impreza's sport-shift mode. It's the best of both worlds - I get total control over gear-selection/_when_ the car shifts, but I don't have to give a poo poo about clutch technique. Plus the sport-shift mode won't let me stall the car out by accident or grind the clutch.