Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!
Fights start 1 hour after this post. Anyone got a funny thread title for this one?

CommonShore posted:

It’s a fight night breakdown

:supaburn:[blink]NOTE THE UNUSUALLY EARLY START TIME OF 3PM CENTRAL FOR MAIN CARD AND 12PM CENTRAL FOR PRELIMS[/blink]:supaburn:

Main Card ESPN+
Heavyweight Ciryl Gane vs Alexander Volkov
Gane is a French kickboxer who is a pretty solid prospect: he has an all-around technically sound and strategically solid game that has brought him to 5-0 in the UFC. His last fight was a tragically boring fight against Jairzinho Rozenstruik, which I blame on Bigi Boi. Basically, Bigi Boi didn’t have an answer for Gane’s basic outside jabby strikes, and so Gane just poked away at him for 5 rounds because, like, why change what’s working against the guy who can literally explode your face? Volkov is the former Bellator champ and he’s a tall rangy striker with a bit of a submission game too. He might be the tallest active heavyweight in the UFC actually. Right now he’s on a two fight streak with TKOs of Harris and Overeem. The winner of this fight is probably in the immediate title picture, as neither has lost to Ngannou, and Volkov’s loss to Lewis, wherein he won 14:40 of that fight to get caught late, could probably use a rematch.

Heavyweight Tanner Boser vs Ovince St. Preux
The shine has come off of the mulleted Canadian Boser, who steps in here as a late replacement for Maxim Grishin, bringing the fight up a weight class. Boser had this whole “heavyweight who moves like a middleweight” thing going on, and a couple TKOs over dudes who you haven’t heard of, but decision losses to Ilir Latifi and Andrei Arlovski have moved him to the “Afterthought” part of the division. That he got outworked by the much smaller Latifi does not bode well for his supposed size advantage against usual-205er St. Preux, either. St Preux is a veteran who has picked up a couple of matches at heavyweight over the last year. He is best known for his ability to grab Von Flue chokes (an otherwise esoteric cross-body head and arm choke usually used to punish white belts for bad guillotines) all over the poo poo. He’s 3-5 in his last 7, most recently getting knocked silly by Jamahal Hill (arm breaky guy from last week).

Light Heavyweight Kennedy Nzechukwu vs Danilo Marques
The UFC did this whole “Nigerian dominance” promo a bit back and looking sheepish behind Usman and Adesanya was then 1-1 Nzechukwu. He’s a two-time DWCS vet who is now 2-1 in the UFC. That loss to Paul Craig by triangle has aged well, though. He KOed Carlos Ulberg in March. As I recall he’s pretty much an explosive puncher. Marques is a Brazilian with a 2-0 UFC record. He choked out Mike Rodriguez in February, and I vaguely remember that happening, but it’s nothing that made me say “Wow.” Apparently Marques was supposed to face Ed Herman, so there’s a late replacement thing happening here.

:siren:Featherweight Andre Fili vs Daniel Pineda
“Touchy” Fili is always good for some violence. I think we can call him a journeyman now, even though he didn’t look bad in his last loss to Bryce Mitchell. Fili is a kickboxer with high output and a willingness to brawl, but without a great power record, so his fights tend to have lots of ongoing kicking and punching. Pineda is a journeyman who lost his PFL season due to the bad kind of drugs in 2019 but then booked a return to the UFC as a covid replacement. He upset Herbert Burns in August, and then got KOed by Cub Swanson in December. He’s another action fighter. This is a popcorn matchup with virtually no divisional significance.

Lightweight Renato Moicano vs Jai Herbert
Moicano was hot poo poo at Featherweight, except for his fights with Ortega, Aldo, and TKZ. He moved up to lightweight and looked like a wizard in his debut, but then got Fizieved in his follow up. This is an extremely important fight for Moicano because he is visibly an elite fighter in terms of his skills, but he needs to stop losing fights and start winning them instead. His chin may be suspect. Herbert is a good test for him. I often criticize the UFC for throwing younger fighters to the wolves repeatedly but that’s not what we have here. He’s a 10-1 English striker who got KOed by Trinaldo back in July. This is a perfect check for Moicano to get a win, get some confidence and work his way into showing that he’s a Charles Olivera and not a Phillipe Nover. But he also might get KOed.

e. apparently Moicano is 32 - I thought he was 28 or even younger. That's a big difference in terms of how much fire a promoter should be putting underneath a fighter. The matchmaking seems more appropriate in that light, because with a 32 year old highly ranked fighter the conversation is more like "take some big, challenging fights so you can show us what you can do before you get too old to begin a title run," whereas with a 28 year old fighter you're trying to set them up so that they're in a good place when they hit 32.

Prelims (ESPN+)
Bantamweight Raoni Barcelos vs Timur Valiev
Barcelos is 5-0 in the UFC. He’s a Brazilian grappler with some serious IBJJF wins on his resume. He’s good, but he’s also 34, so he needs to get more active if he wants to get anywhere with this MMA thing. Valiev is a Dagestani sambo/bjj guy who is 1-0 1NC (loss overturned) in the UFC.

:siren:Welterweight Shavkat Rakhmonov vs Michel Prazeres
Rakhmonov is that Kazakh super prospect who dumpstered and submitted Alex Oliveira in his UFC debut. He is extremely good, and that was one of the best UFC debuts I’ve seen. Prazares “the tractor” is a Brazilian grappler and professional weight-misser who is coming back from a two-year steroid suspension. He’s 2-1 at welterweight. He is basically a tree stump strength grappler, and I think he has more north-south choke wins than anyone else in UFC history. Excellent test for the prospect.

:siren:Welterweight Tim Means vs Nicolas Dalby
Aayyyy Dirty Bird found a fight. Means was supposed to be on last week’s card but his fight fell through. He’s a tall skinny journeyman who has a pretty good fight IQ and nice accurate strikes. He likes to throw elbows. That’s good because his opponent, Dalby, is a Dane who bleeds a lot. Dalby is basically a balls-to-the-wall brawler. This fight will be extremely fun.

:siren:Light Heavyweight Marcin Prachino vs Isaac Villanueva
Ike is an underdog who is fun to root for. He came in as a late replacement at heavyweight, and got TKOed, and then lost his light heavyweight debut by a TKO cut in the first round, and then he scored a great KO with a great post-fight speech in his follow-up to that. Glad to see him back. He’s a scrappy Texan brawler. Prachino is a tall Pole who is 1-3 in the UFC. All of his losses have been by KO/TKO, but for some reason he’s the betting favourite on this one.

:hmmyes:Bantamweight Julia Avila vs Julija Stoliarenko
Wow we have two people from the two bloodiest fights ever on this card (Dalby being the other). Stoliarenko is a former Invicta title challenger who was in a crazy bloody fight last March. She has had less success in the UFC since, being held against the cage by Yana Kunitskaya for 3 rounds in August. She has also fought Lethwei. Avila is a Brazilian who is 2-1 in the UFC, with a win over Pannie Kianzad (saw her last week) and a loss to Sijara Eubanks. This fight had been scheduled for March but Stoliarenko fainted backstage or something.

e. I'm told that she's American and that she has had some serious disruption to her coaching team in recent months so we'll see what's up.

:siren:Featherweight Charles Rosa vs Justin Jaynes
I think Rosa trains with a Goon? Or something? He’s a Boston-based fighter with a 4-5 UFC record, alternating wins and losses. I know him best for his loss to Bryce Mitchell, where he escaped like 5 twisters. He grapples some and he strikes some, but he doesn’t really get great results from either. Jaynes is a bald beardy puncher who is best known for pulling down Gavin Tucker’s pants. He punches good, but he has also been stopped in three consecutive fights. This will probably be fun.

Lightweight Yancy Medeiros vs Damir Hadzovic
I feel like I broke this down a while back? Yancy is a tall skinny Hawaiian who has fun fights, win or lose. Hadzovic is a Bosnian-and-Herzagovinan who is 3-4 UFC, and who was Moicano’s (above) victim in his divisional debut.

Dunno where on these are or if they’re even still happening
Welterweight Warlley Alves vs Jeremiah Wells
Alves is a TUF:Brazil winner with a stoppage over Colby Covington. He’s coming off of a pretty good TKO win. Wells is a CFFC guy making his UFC debut.

Flyweight Tim Elliott vs Su Mudaerji
Elliot is a hillbilly who won TUF and got smacked around by Demetrious Johnson. He has a goofy fighting style but he has become bad at winning fights. He’s on a 2-fight streak against weak opposition. “The Tibetan Eagle” Mudaerji is a Tibetan who is 3-1 in the UFC, but I don’t remember his fights.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

Going to leave this here

https://twitter.com/PodolskyDanny/status/1408101267306602497?s=19

https://twitter.com/AlexBehunin/status/1408511332924624900?s=19

G-Hawk fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Jun 26, 2021

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

No not believing in yourself :hai:

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!
This motherfucker is walking out to Darude - Sandstorm, lmfao.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!
Great first round, long combos and beautiful trips from Hadzovic, a fierce jab
and strong end to the round from Medeiros, could go either way I think.

avantgardener
Sep 16, 2003

Brut posted:

This motherfucker is walking out to Darude - Sandstorm, lmfao.

Vanderlei Silva would like to have a word

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!
drat, how long can Yancy eat those combos...guessing not that long

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!
Little bit of a comeback at the end there but there's no way I can give that round to Yancy. Some judges might have it tied up but he's probably losing both rounds.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!
Fun round, I guess I shouldn't underestimate featherweight. Also hilarious to see Rosa be inches away from a DQ loss.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

All killer and no filler so far, woe to those that forgot the early start time

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!
It's like every fight is starting with a big cut or a broken nose

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

Fun round there

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!
Holy poo poo

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

Cool finish

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!
Yeah sure don't even warn Alves for axekicking a laying down opponent in the head, seems fine.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!
oops never mind ain't gotta warn him about anything, he dead

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

:stare:

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Oh my god this fight is precious

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!
I know that was technically a choke but that might as well be a tap-to-strikes, cool fight.

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

That was a hilarious proportion battle

Rakhmonkov is the real deal

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!
Having a funny hat is the strongest base to MMA

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Those standing straights to Michel's grounded skull were terrifying, like he should probably just go to the hospital precautionarily

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!
lmao he started answering the last question in Russian but then switched to something else mid sentence. The part I understood was something like "I know UFC has serious opponents, probably top 15 soon".

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

lol if you didn't know better you'd think he poo poo his shorts with that cup situation

College Rockout
Jan 10, 2010

This cards been a banger so far

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

that stoppage seemed quite early to me, but jason the herzhog is one of the best, he could have been yelling the whole time to fight back

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

Really loving good prelims

Yeah that stoppage was a little surprising but Herzog was like 6 inches from his face so he probably saw a lot more

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!

G-Hawk posted:

Really loving good prelims

Yeah that stoppage was a little surprising but Herzog was like 6 inches from his face so he probably saw a lot more

Yeah I thought it was a bit weird too seeing it live, but looking at the replay it makes sense.

Is DC just really bad at holding the mic in the right spot or is there something else wrong? I'm having trouble hearing the people being interviewed, some of them at least.

PONEYBOY
Jul 31, 2013

Andre Fili has the only good gimmick nickname in the ufc imo. Looking solid so far. Seems Pineda has issues with his range.

PONEYBOY
Jul 31, 2013

Going from the earlier posts all the previous fights have been like this?

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

It's been a delightful night for fans of human violence, yes

cornlog
May 1, 2008
Daniel Head of Stone Pineda

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

HOW is this going to round two

Daniel "My Boyfriend's Back (1993)" Pineda

PONEYBOY
Jul 31, 2013

That loving sucks

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

Sucks

Devoz
Nov 18, 2006
Good on the ref/doctor for stopping that. He had no business continuing.

avantgardener
Sep 16, 2003

Glad they actually tested his eyesight.

PONEYBOY
Jul 31, 2013

OSP just nonexistent, keeps circling to his left when he gets to the cage too.

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..
The fence grab didn't look THAT bad. I don't know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!
Yeah replay seems to show his fist closed, and not around the fence.

OSP should retire.