Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
MOTN
This poll is closed.
Sydal vs Martin 5 4.55%
Bunny vs Statlander 8 7.27%
Ego vs Bear 2 1.82%
Hangman vs Powerhouse 10 9.09%
Omega vs Boy 85 77.27%
Total: 110 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Penguin Patrol
Mar 3, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
He didn't even say the other locker room doesn't have heart/passion/whatever, he just said the other channel doesn't let you see it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Shard posted:

Just listened to it. Holy poo poo that would be an amazing song in front of a crowd.

If we're gonna give Ogogo a crowd friendly sing-along football song it should be the superior Vindaloo

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Lead Pipe Cinch posted:

Look at this two year old graphic Jake Hager photoshopped to announce his next MMA fight and/or meet and greet:

https://twitter.com/realjakehager/status/1410251253599383553?s=21

wow, Fedor! if this was 15 years ago i'd be stoked

edit: altho i'm still pretty sure Fedor can fustigate Jake

purkey
Dec 5, 2003

I hate the 90s

I’d imagine they’re looking for someone with any name value at all to actually fight Fedor

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Mr. Squishy posted:

It's really surprising to me the legs Eddie's speech has. He was saying "the wrestling we do is better than the wrestling they do." That's what you're supposed to say! Like, Taz calling them sloppy over Covid, I could see getting mad about, but this?

The reality is, Taz calling WWE a sloppy shop completely loving shattered a lot of Vincel brains and they've been stewing over it ever since he said it.

I seriously can't overstate to you how much Taz saying that and being 100% right to say it completely pissed them off.

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..
I still think to a point AEW talks about WWE a lot more than they should and it does feel tiresome at times. Obviously, there was a share of jabs going back and forth for awhile early on but now at times it does feel like AEW is harping on it a bit too much.

As someone who casually watches both products theres two main things I find distracting in AEW: the refs being too involved in the matches and/or getting themselves over, and what feels like they need to talk about the other guys a bit too often. They have an awesome in ring product, match quality absolutely trumps WWE 90% of the time, but it was lame when WCW was doing it back in the day and still feels lame now.

Le Saboteur fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Jun 30, 2021

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Counterpoint: WWE is extremely bad and they deserve to be mocked.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

https://twitter.com/TheBrandiRhodes/status/1410243759300808712?s=20

What a cute babba

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Le Saboteur posted:

I still think to a point AEW talks about WWE a lot more than they should and it does feel tiresome at times. Obviously, there was a share of jabs going back and forth for awhile early on but now at times it does feel like AEW is harping on it a bit too much.

As someone who casually watches both products theres two main things I find distracting in AEW: the refs being too involved in the matches and/or getting themselves over, and what feels like they need to talk about the other guys a bit too often. They have an awesome in ring product, match quality absolutely trumps WWE 90% of the time, but it was lame when WCW was doing it back in the day and still feels lame now.

I feel like they've done a pretty decent job at keeping the anti-WWE rhetoric off of TV. I think Miro is the only guy who came directly from WWE who mentioned being misused or whatever in his debut promo, which is always going to give me TNA vibes since that was their go-to.

The Eddie thing was off of TV, at least.

I love when companies reference other companies on TV. It makes wrestling feel like a bigger thing. When I was a kid and I heard people mentioning WCW and WWF by name on ECW, it blew my mind that they would talk about other companies.

I think the amount they reference WWE in a "gently caress WWE" way is about as much as I want on TV right now, but I do like when they acknowledge where someone came from or the accolades they attained in other places.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Mr. Brodie Lee's introduction monologue took a swipe at McMahon too and it was excellent.

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

And there’s too many factions

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Cerebral Bore posted:

Counterpoint: WWE is extremely bad and they deserve to be mocked.

also this was an after the show "send the crowd home happy" speech by Kingston, it's not like some planned out part of televised AEW programming

like, are you really gonna try and tell Eddie Kingston what to say in that situation

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Ganso Bomb posted:

I feel like they've done a pretty decent job at keeping the anti-WWE rhetoric off of TV. I think Miro is the only guy who came directly from WWE who mentioned being misused or whatever in his debut promo, which is always going to give me TNA vibes since that was their go-to.

Brodie did it pretty heavily for the first part of his run before his character evolved a bit more. He started off as a Vince parody, did a promo calling out being held back and did the Sister Abigail setup in his first match.

Thankfully the character grew into it’s own thing fairly quickly because it would have been kinda lovely if his last run before his death was all bitter ex-WWE ranting.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Bubba's being a nerd. WWE stinks and everyone knows it including the people working there. If Eddie can say "WWE sucks and we're better" to pop the crowd, that should cause some introspection.

Vince MechMahon posted:

It's the most bland, flavorless chicken ever made. It's for white people who think mayo is too spicy. Admitting to liking it is a huge self own.

This is true facts, by the way.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Every wrestler should be studying that promo because it got such a huge reaction for saying something so innocuous.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

i thought the draw of Raising Cain's was the dipping sauces not the chicken itself

Long-Time Lurker
May 20, 2021

readin'-but-not-postin'-jones
Wrestling fans asking for decorum every time WWE is attacked reminds me of American politics too much lol.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Oh no Eddie Kingston alluded to "The Other Channel" in a twitter video

https://twitter.com/AEW/status/1398434531024281605

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Dacap posted:

Brodie did it pretty heavily for the first part of his run before his character evolved a bit more. He started off as a Vince parody, did a promo calling out being held back and did the Sister Abigail setup in his first match.

Thankfully the character grew into it’s own thing fairly quickly because it would have been kinda lovely if his last run before his death was all bitter ex-WWE ranting.

Ah that's right, I hadn't thought of Brodie since it was a lot more characterization and not so much a big TNA-esque promo about "the other guys" or whatever. I agree, though – the Vince nods were funny and cute but definitely a bit too on the nose for me to be done for too long. I'm glad was able to grow the character out of being just a parody of a madman.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

blunt posted:

If we're gonna give Ogogo a crowd friendly sing-along football song it should be the superior Vindaloo

The first time I ever heard that song was as the theme for Team IPW:UK (Martin Stone, Sha Samuels and Terry Frazier) at King of Trios 2008. I was immediately sold.

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

Really embracing the American Dream gimmick naming your kid Liberty.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

:chloe:

this child is zero years old and has already had enough of this poo poo

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
Eddie is now elevated to the Pantheon of guys who vincels absolutely despise and would literally have to kiss Vince’s rear end to be forgiven.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Le Saboteur posted:

The funny part about it to me is how fans see it as a "like WCW did" matter when off the top of my head I can think of 3 separate incidents where WWE had mocking parodies of WCW people as regular parts of their tv shows during the Monday Night Wars. I think it speaks to the perceived "pecking order" and why Kingston pissed off so many people. He's not "supposed" to talk poo poo about WWE because he hasn't earned it like they have. Its clinging to the idea that WWE is the top of the mountain so anyone throwing shots from below looks sad and are overreaching.

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug
remember when vince would have full on 5 minute segments where he dressed up geriatrics to play hulk hogan in a conference room with a deranged ted turner lookalike

edit: also poo poo like gillberg

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

STAC Goat posted:

The funny part about it to me is how fans see it as a "like WCW did" matter when off the top of my head I can think of 3 separate incidents where WWE had mocking parodies of WCW people as regular parts of their tv shows during the Monday Night Wars. I think it speaks to the perceived "pecking order" and why Kingston pissed off so many people. He's not "supposed" to talk poo poo about WWE because he hasn't earned it like they have. Its clinging to the idea that WWE is the top of the mountain so anyone throwing shots from below looks sad and are overreaching.

If it wasn't clear I do mean to say it was lame when WWE and WCW were going back and forth way back when too. I apologize that I only mentioned WCW there but my intent was just to nod back to that era there.

I also think its really dumb that Bubba suggests Eddie hasn't "earned" it because he's not Jericho or whatever and hasn't done his time over in WWE. gently caress that.

Le Saboteur fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Jun 30, 2021

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

Kunabomber posted:

remember when vince would have full on 5 minute segments where he dressed up geriatrics to play hulk hogan in a conference room with a deranged ted turner lookalike

edit: also poo poo like gillberg

In one of their video games the commentators still harp on about how WCW didn’t know how to market Steve Austin.

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

I am honestly having a real hard time thinking up any recent examples of AEW directly bringing up WWE on TV in a way that makes me think they’re doing it in any sort of alienating way. Even off TV, I don’t think it’s nearly as often as some people make it out to be, but I am way behind on the Vlogs, so I might be missing that context.

I am not going to even begin to be bothered by WWE coming up over the course of an interview or feature in the press, wrestling or otherwise, of course WWE is going to come up.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

If Tony Khan set up a cardboard cutout of Vince McMahon in the middle of the ring then spent the entire two hours of Dynamite taking a Guinness book of world records length piss directly in it's face, I would still go "that's a reasonable and not over done response to all the bullshit WWE has done and continues to do on a daily basis."

Anyone who's mad about Eddie has something wrong with their brain. Which we all know bubba almost certainly does, he was in ECW, so that tracks.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

There was a bit more in the beginning like Cody smashing the HHH throne, but they’ve developed enough of their own identity now not to harp on it.

If there is WWE bashing, it’s usually on podcasts after their release.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Le Saboteur posted:

If it wasn't clear I do mean to say it was lame when WWE and WCW were going back and forth way back when too. I apologize that I only mentioned WCW there but my intent was just to nod back to that era there.

I'm sorry, I wasn't meaning to call you out about it. The way you phrased it just felt like it involuntarily got to one of the issues that's always stood out to me. I just think WWE has been on top so long that they've fostered this air of superiority where stuff others do is "unprofessional" or "pathetic" or "bush league" even though they do it all themselves. That's probably especially true amongst WWE vets who have been directly told the "you made it" rhetoric and is at the heart of Bully Ray's "Cody and Jericho can talk poo poo, Eddie should stay in his lane" nonsense.

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

STAC Goat posted:

I'm sorry, I wasn't meaning to call you out about it. The way you phrased it just felt like it involuntarily got to one of the issues that's always stood out to me. I just think WWE has been on top so long that they've fostered this air of superiority where stuff others do is "unprofessional" or "pathetic" or "bush league" even though they do it all themselves. That's probably especially true amongst WWE vets who have been directly told the "you made it" rhetoric and is at the heart of Bully Ray's "Cody and Jericho can talk poo poo, Eddie should stay in his lane" nonsense.

For real though, to suggest that someone like Eddie Kingston hasn't "paid his dues" enough in this business to talk some poo poo is absolutely laughable.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Did they really name their kid Liberty?

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
I would be very happy if the American wrestling universe didn't orbit around WWE to an unreasonable degree, but Eddie Kingston's whole deal seems to be that he is maniacally devoted to the Art of Professional Wrestling, which is why he's able to tap into a degree of emotion and realness that literally nobody else can.

If I see him cutting a promo about how lovely the major wrestling company in America is and how glad he is that he can succeed without working in those conditions, my thoughts basically begin and end with "It makes perfect sense that's how Eddie Kingston feels."

Also my suggestion is that WWE can avoid these sorts of moments by not being a horrific company that makes bad TV

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

fawning deference posted:

Don't make me tap the American Dream sign again.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

Cody is one of the least subtle people in the world.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

blunt posted:

That video is so loving British

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!

Vince MechMahon posted:

If Tony Khan set up a cardboard cutout of Vince McMahon in the middle of the ring then spent the entire two hours of Dynamite taking a Guinness book of world records length piss directly in it's face, I would still go "that's a reasonable and not over done response to all the bullshit WWE has done and continues to do on a daily basis."

Same here, even if he finished by taking a steaming dump on the WWE logo to close out the show, I'd still be like "it's nothing more than they deserve". Eff the Dubya Dubya Eee.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Someone earlier in the thread suggested that this was so Cody, the big Metal Gear geek, can have grandkids who are Sons of Liberty, which is the greatest possible explanation

It's pretty dumb, but she'll probably just go by Libby and everyone will assume she's an Elizabeth, so whatever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

AEW's whole existence is a response to the idea that WWE and everything it represents is not the end all be all of American Wrestling. It's a direct argument against the idea that WCW was terrible with no good ideas and WWF is legendary that has always been perfect. AEW isn't even close to the levels TNA got to where it felt like it was trying to be noticed (like Russo and Bubba are now) just by talking poo poo about their competitor.

It's hard for me to honestly take most criticisms against AEW seriously because before this show I was pretty much done with wrestling and it has made me love it again to a level I haven't felt since I was a teenager.

Not to say yall can't discuss the pros and cons yall do you. I'm just sayin that's where I'm at